test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Info on Birdmen of Thaar

I'm about to get my 900 days for CO and I'm going to make a birdman Hero and like to learn there lore so I thought best place was here. I'd like to know the state of there technology is it at the same level as Millennium City lower then or more advanced then? right now I picture it like Gorilla City from DC comics were its more advanced. Also would like to know if the Birdmen species has mutants/meta's ( I don't know what the champions universe calls them) any info would help a lot. I posted this in the foxbat Q&A also but thought later that I might get my answers here.

Comments

• bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The Birdpeople are humanoids apparently mutated by unknown aliens thousands of years ago, who gave them several avian characteristics: functional wings, hollow bones, feathers instead of hair (covering their entire bodies), beaked faces, oversized eyes, and short talon-like nails on fingers and toes. They range in height from seven to nine feet, with wingspans of thirteen to fifteen feet. Birdpeople are quicker and more agile than humans on average.

The Birdpeople lived in isolation for millennia on the mist-shrouded island of Thaar, in the Indian Ocean, until a superhero team accidentally discovered them in 1965. At least two Birdpeople have journeyed in the wider world, but most still avoid contact with outsiders. Thaar is officially a protectorate of the United Nations, and is represented diplomatically by the Atlantean consulate.

All Birdpeople are trained to fight with polearms from an early age. From this, Thaar's long and continuing isolation, and a lack of any references to the contrary, it would seem reasonable to peg the Birdpeople's technological level as pre-industrial at best. Some Birdpeople have been considerably more physically capable than the average, just as well-trained humans can be almost "super" in their abilities; but there's no mention of any Birdpeople with other superhuman powers. Nothing that says they can't have them, either. :wink:

Most of this information is derived from the description of Thaar in Champions Universe: News Of The World, which was mostly reproduced in the latest edition of the main Champions Universe source book. More details can be found in Digital Hero #11, around a Birdperson who acted as a superhero called Kestrel.

Post edited by bulgarex on
  • rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    thanks for the info but I've not been able find a none purchasable copy of digital hero #11 is there any mention of the bird peoples life spans? is Kestrel still alive? I did find out she was thaars Queen at the time and the superhero group she was in disbanded back in 79 so is she still on the throne 36 years later?

I've been leaning towards heavy weapon in CO and came up with this my birdmen (don't have a name yet) wields a sword that's an Ancestral artifact. the family history goes as follows back when the people of Thaar were just starting to mining and forging of raw ore in to refined metals the Heroes ancestor was prospecting for a new source of ore he witnessed what he called a falling star crash down in the area he was searching upon arrival of the crash site found an impact creator with a strange looking rock at its center approaching the meteor and realizing it was cool to the touch he proceeded to remove the rock back to his smithy were he notices that the star rock is flecked with a strange looking mineral. He proceeds to melt it down and forge it into the 1st version of his families heirloom, as time goes on and smithing techniques improve the blade has been reworked several time sense the 1st blade. Now in CO was thinking heavy weapons and maybe some fire powers because he will find that the sword can absorb some forms of energy mainly heat and expel it out of the blade. This seems like a lot of work for a character theme for a player who doesn't really RP much in game but I find it helps when trying to come up with a new Hero so thanks for the help.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    Isn't it odd that a few issues of Digital Hero aren't listed as available for individual purchase from the Hero Games website store? Only as part of more expensive "bundles." I'll have to bring that to their attention.

As of 2010 (when the most recent edition of Champions Universe was printed) Kestrel/Klee was still alive, but not Queen of Thaar. She was eldest child and heir to King Gudra, but when he died in 1985 Klee abdicated in favor of her cousin Kea, who was still Queen in 2010. Klee served as Captain of the Guard to her father and to Kea. I think it's safe to assume the Birdpeople have life spans comparable to humans.

I'm fond of detailed backgrounds to PC or NPC characters myself, so your desire gets no criticism from me. :smile: Your sword idea is well-precedented in Champions lore. During eras when magic was strong on Earth (it waxes and wanes over time, and is currently in a "waxing" phase), many powerful enchanted items were crafted out of meteoric metal, sometimes called "star-iron," known to possess potent magical properties.