test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gravity Driver

245

Comments

  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    Buxom: Nailed it

    Decorum: I wish you were wrong...but you probably nailed it too.

    Avianos: Please don't use the BnS words...they draw the Bitter Coxers like moths to a flame. Also, if it's a crap power then people will complain. If it's OP then people will cry P2Win. If it's OP and they balance it....well, you see where this is heading. IMO, it's Lose/Lose/Lose.

    rtma: Characterizing the Devs/Cryptic as Mr. Burns really accomplishes nothing at all.

    2s9bzbq.jpg
    Join Date: Aug 2009 | Title: Devslayer
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    Just bring it.
    just-bring-it-o.gif
    Just get it on.
    I don't really care.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Just bring it.
    just-bring-it-o.gif
    Just get it on.
    I don't really care.

    Ooooh. Thanks for the gay erotica, Finn.

    (tee hee)

    Honestly, though, I feel about the same way. This will be fun discussion to have, but Cryptic has already made the decision.
    ___________________________________________________________

    Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    flyingfinn irks:

    Just bring it.

    I hate you because I can't stop taking the bait to see if you've actually put something new in your siggy. :D

    'Dec out

    QDSxNpT.png
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Posts: 92 Arc User
    First I'll boo at the idea

    Then a deep sigh as the lockbox is cranked open so the power can be obtained and piled on the auction house for quick ingame profit ensuring we get more of this.

    All hail joy of powers behind RNG gamble box that disappear leaving new users or those who miss out, out in the cold. (*Couch yeh what new users, this will turn them right around)
  • avianosavianos Posts: 5,695 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    People are Unsubbing/Quitting because they are smart enough, The game gets no new contest and Cryptic keep insulting the player's Intelligent with locking stuff in Lockboxes.

    CO have already lost it's BIG Financial WHALEs

    PWE/Cryptic loves your Money after all
    Consider the GAP between Playerbase and DEVs, I doupt Cryptic will aknowledge all those Negative feebacks, there is no turning back now, the power will be exlusive for lockboxes
    as for Suggestions and Feedbacks, into the Trashcan and the Paper Shredder Machine they go

    381.gif

    [This post will also go intto the Trash Can]

    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point
    Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergies
    Playing since 1 February 2011 90+ Characters (7 ATs, 83 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    So...do you still play Avianos? o:)
    2s9bzbq.jpg
    Join Date: Aug 2009 | Title: Devslayer
  • avianosavianos Posts: 5,695 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    So...do you still play Avianos? o:)

    Ah Yes the "Why you keep playing?" Card

    It's not like this game has one of the BEST character customization and I suffer from ALT-itis and MMO Addiction the past 4 years along with other Shenanigans

    Just because I like and Enjoy a Videogame that doesn't mean by any means that I have to Ignore it's Flaws and Blindly accept the DEV's Decisions

    Post edited by avianos on
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point
    Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergies
    Playing since 1 February 2011 90+ Characters (7 ATs, 83 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    Well it certainly has been an amusing morning.


    Wait no. I mean...My condolences.


    Ok so maybe I think some of you may be overreacting a little bit...

    but that is exactly what I was expecting.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen? Wait a minute, I've been in this community long enough. I KNOW I'm not the only person that remembers that.
    ________________________________________________
    My Amazon author page
    How to build a freeform character...the Kenpo way
    Demon Keypo's Building Guide
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I was okay with "Level an archetype to 40 to get new powers" because that's essentially "play the game to get things" and you do the thing and you get the thing, and there's no gambling involved.


    Powers in lockboxes? I can only laugh. Grats Meed, they're finally making the mistake you pushed so hard for.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen? Wait a minute, I've been in this community long enough. I KNOW I'm not the only person that remembers that.

    Yup. "We wont put Powers in Lockboxes" been bouncing around in me brain. I thought i posted that somewhere, but seems i didn't. Whoever said it and wherever.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 5,695 Arc User
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen? Wait a minute, I've been in this community long enough. I KNOW I'm not the only person that remembers that.

    The [Old] Devs also promised that the Avian warrior pack will be release for the C-store, and you see what they did, they pushed it as VET reward the last minute and with full of Bugs
    [RAGE INTENSIFIES]
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point
    Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergies
    Playing since 1 February 2011 90+ Characters (7 ATs, 83 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Community Moderator
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen?

    I was talking to Kais the other day and mentioned the same thing, but I couldn't remember or place where I'd seen this said. I thought then that I might have confused it with something they said about Neverwinter. I'd like to see the actual posts that said this, though, so I can prove to myself I'm not a hundred percent crazy. :p
    biffsig.jpg
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    I think we all know by now to take any statements on long term future plans with a grain of salt.
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    It's a bad idea, they'll do it anyway, people will still buy keys, people will open the box, and they'll move on to their next idea.
  • warriordante24warriordante24 Posts: 13 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Problem is: People are already unsubbing due to the fact that this power is in a lockbox.
    Really? Like who?

    Or is this another one of those unsubstantiated "this is gonna KILL the game! DOOM DOOM!!" cries that happens every time something changes? Because it kind of sounds like the latter. I certainly don't know anyone who's unsubbed over this silliness, any more than I know anyone who actually dropped their sub when lockboxes first came into play, or when Vehicles became a thing, or when Blood Moons stopped happening every full moon, or - well, insert change here.

    Friends of mine that I talk to straight up said they were quitting CO and stopped their sub. I will not name names out of respect, but they legit quit the game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    If stuff like that makes one to quit a game, they weren't enjoying it very much anyways.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    It's just a game.. if you don't like powers in a lockbox don't buy keys to open lockboxes and continue to enjoy the game for what it currently has to offer. If you just gotta have this new power or everything will be ruined but you still hate lockboxes buy if from the auction exchange or trade for it with another player...

    if you're just so mad that they'd do this you're willing to unsub/and or quit on principal... go ahead, I mean...there is nothing stopping you, don't think making threats about quitting is going to change anything...the only thing you can do is actually do it.

    I'll be sad to see more players go...but at this point these are the only options. It is happening. It has already happened. We can't stop it now.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,443 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The "Do you still play" argument is invalid simply because the only thing that matters is "Do you still pay".

    Lockboxes will be opened. Its the only thing being added to the game which means its 100% getting all the numbers. I also bet that Cryptic counts that new nonexistent content that no one plays as a valid statistic for not making new content. The numbers are either purposefully skewed or the statistic algorithm was made by Cryptic.

    I bet login numbers as a result to lockboxes was hurt by the login numbers for Steel Crusade being added. That means that we need less content so the lockbox sales don't hurt, right? Or that Steel Crusade's loot is designed so that it gets played less compared to key sales.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,770 Arc User
    For this horrible crime, the recompense should be
    RAGDOLL.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Well cryptic good luck but this is a bad idea very bad idea. I hope you relize this could cause a huge back lash into ruining the game. But i am sure with the blacklash you will see how angry people are
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    The fact that STO didn't fold when they started putting new starships in lockboxes taught Cryptic/PWE what the market will bear. Here in CO we can either follow along in consensual silence, or voice our dissent and refuse to buy keys. My concern is that this tactic will work well enough to show that it's profitable and it will evolve. Newer players especially will likely not see this as an unusual move and will play along.

    The old guard who remember Cryptic's original promises will not be enough to stem this tide.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The fact that STO didn't fold when they started putting new starships in lockboxes taught Cryptic/PWE what the market will bear. Here in CO we can either follow along in consensual silence, or voice our dissent and refuse to buy keys. My concern is that this tactic will work well enough to show that it's profitable and it will evolve. Newer players especially will likely not see this as an unusual move and will play along.

    The old guard who remember Cryptic's original promises will not be enough to stem this tide.

    This^

    You may not like it(I'd rather they didn't do it this way) but it is going to happen and no amount of complaining at this point will change that. They aren't going to listen to a handful of angry forum users, the only thing they care about is how many keys they are going to sell.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    For this horrible crime, the recompense should be
    RAGDOLL.
    I think you mean "Arms Folded". (Unless, of course, that's being snuck in - Defender's been crossing his arms lately...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Problem is: People are already unsubbing due to the fact that this power is in a lockbox.
    Really? Like who?

    Or is this another one of those unsubstantiated "this is gonna KILL the game! DOOM DOOM!!" cries that happens every time something changes? Because it kind of sounds like the latter. I certainly don't know anyone who's unsubbed over this silliness, any more than I know anyone who actually dropped their sub when lockboxes first came into play, or when Vehicles became a thing, or when Blood Moons stopped happening every full moon, or - well, insert change here.

    Friends of mine that I talk to straight up said they were quitting CO and stopped their sub. I will not name names out of respect, but they legit quit the game.
    Unnamed friends. Okay. And I know (and am willing to name) just scads of people who aren't quitting over this, but that also has little bearing on the question. Unless there are numbers (to which we can be privy), none of this means anything, because as the old saying has it, "The plural of anecdote is not data."

    Unless this were to lead to a significant decline in numbers (which seems unlikely in the extreme), it won't be seen as a loss by Cryptic, as a certain number of players are going to quit at any given moment anyway, with or without provocation. It's the nature of the beast - even the 800-pound-gorilla of MMOs loses players (although their subscription numbers have declined to levels most games can barely dream of reaching). If you want to protest this move (which is, in my opinion, a poor one), then by all means, don't buy keys. Because income is the only metric by which the success or failure of this will be judged.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    For this horrible crime, the recompense should be
    RAGDOLL.

    In order to bring a better product to the players we've decided to bring ragdoll physics to Champions online. Get your Ragdoll unlock token as a very rare reward from our exciting new Raggedy Amber lockbox. (1 of 18 Series 4)

    Additionally to address concerns with the reward tables for cosmics, this lockbox will only drop from Kigatilik.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,531 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen?

    I was talking to Kais the other day and mentioned the same thing, but I couldn't remember or place where I'd seen this said. I thought then that I might have confused it with something they said about Neverwinter. I'd like to see the actual posts that said this, though, so I can prove to myself I'm not a hundred percent crazy. :p

    I believe this was a statement made with the introduction of the Free For All update.
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you want to protest this move (which is, in my opinion, a poor one), then by all means, don't buy keys. Because income is the only metric by which the success or failure of this will be judged.

    So be it. No more Keys from me. Who's with me on this?
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,443 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Keys sell because of costumes and Legion gear. But because they are a guaranteed sale Cryptic can put anything else they want in them and say that its because they were in a lockbox that they were sold.

    Its like suddenly making a lockbox with all the lost costume unlocks in it, throw in a single power unlock, then saying that the lockbox sold because of the power when players are automatically unlocking them because everyone will need it since its the only way to acquire. The numbers only show items being used, yet in a game like Champions items held and used for bartering are an important statistic that determine value.
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    If stuff like that makes one to quit a game, they weren't enjoying it very much anyways.

    Or maybe they were on the fence, like a lot of people are, where they were "enjoying this game so long as something objectively terrible doesn't happen".
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    costumes, legion gear, vehicles, the new shiny.
    Things to sell to other people, to buy more keys, to open more boxes, to sell more things, to make more money.

    look at all the people going to test the new power.
    How many are testing it for a PvP build, I know the usual suspects(the nuisance) was there yesterday.
    How many are checking it for a Rampage build or for that one extra point of damage?

    How many people have been grabbing a pile of 12 packs of the lockboxes from the Q store during timewarp week,
    To have a store later, I know I've seen the same people selling the results on trade.

    ok I give up on punctuation today.

    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you want to protest this move (which is, in my opinion, a poor one), then by all means, don't buy keys. Because income is the only metric by which the success or failure of this will be judged.

    Unfortunately Jon, like I've pointed out before, nobody is keeping track of the number of people that don't buy a thing. When you say "I'm not going to buy this to send the message that this is a thing they should not offer", they never get that message... because there's no machine printing out a message that says "Jon DIDN'T buy a key today, and this is the reason".

    In this case especially the message won't get through. Let's say Jhonny doesn't buy keys to protest this... Sarah on the other hand is buying keys specifically to sell them for resources because she wants to do a full retcon. Not only do they never even hear about Jhonny's lack of key purchases, but they also don't know what Sarah bought keys for.

    Even if there is something keeping track of how many people open a given lockbox, that's all it keeps track of... it doesn't have a category for "People who decided not to open the lockbox because they disagree with it".


    In fact, I have this strange feeling that this "outrage" doesn't come as a surprise to anyone. The problem is, the people who expected it and feel bad are likely in no position to do anything about it. The people who are in a position to do something about it probably have a "It'll make some money, and people will get over it" attitude that wouldn't be even slightly dented by any of these protests.


    I agree of course... don't like it, don't open, and at the very least not be a part of the only message being sent. But don't do it with the pretense of protest.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    Avianos wrote:
    Ah Yes the "Why you keep playing?" Card
    Actually, that wasn't it because I still play and I am against this as well. It was more of the....
    People are Unsubbing/Quitting because they are smart enough
    ..."Are you saying you, me, and all these people are stupid(or not smart if you want to be more specific)?" Card. ;)

    Kenpo: Of course you're not the only one who remembers but, apparently, every time you change dev teams in "Cryptic Dev Training Online" all previous claims/promises/rules go right out the window.

    Bunch of other people: Uhm...ok...sure. I will not buy keys. I hope this has the proper impact but even if it does it would likely be measured AFTER this precedent is set. Also, I am but one gun-toting midgie so I do not know if I would be enough...but I'll try. Here's my vote.
    Spinny wrote:
    Or maybe they were on the fence, like a lot of people are, where they were "enjoying this game so long as something objectively terrible doesn't happen".

    I know that I've been on that particular fence about going LTS for years(ever since the original "Sorry, we ran out" Fiasco of 2009) and everytime I go to pull the trigger something like this happens...so I don't. I'm still Gold after all this time. I play this game because I have ideas and bring them to life ingame. I have always said that once I run out of ideas then it will likely be the end for me but, also, these kinds of things do make an impact on that for me. I just, honestly, do not know how much bad I can actually stomach with no good before it's time to strongly reevaluate my presence here....and I'm not even one of the doomies. :/

    For my observations on the "unnamed friends I have in CO" angle, alot of them seem beaten/defeated/down and this year has been more hammer hits through what I would consider bad decisions and mostly bad implementations that...is...just...wearing...people...down. My friends are not the type to make the, "Screw you guys, I'm going home" posts and make a grandscale exit from the stage....they just stop showing up and fade into the statistics of the lost. If this were to actually cause the mass exodus that the doomies have been prophesying all of these years then that, too, would weigh into my evaluation of my place here. Hey, it's one of the 2 reasons I don't play NW anymore.

    Ok, Cross ramble enough. Next rambler.

    2s9bzbq.jpg
    Join Date: Aug 2009 | Title: Devslayer
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 358 Arc User
    Still one of the baddest idea ever...
    mal_sig_zpslcumq0li.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    xydaxyda wrote: »

    You may not like it(I'd rather they didn't do it this way) but it is going to happen and no amount of complaining at this point will change that. They aren't going to listen to a handful of angry forum users, the only thing they care about is how many keys they are going to sell.

    If it makes money, they will do it. It means enough people don't mind. It means that the forum folks don't represent the larger player base as a whole.

    The game needs to make money to stay afloat, with very little staffing to make things to make that money.
    ___________________________________________________________

    Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    What i 1st thought when i saw word 'Gravitar Driver'....
    gravitar_and_offender_by_smackwell-d8jxpo0.jpg
    :*
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,770 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Psssst,

    content first, powers second, or at the same time, but never powers first.


    Living up to your legacy would be nice about now.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • shieldtowershieldtower Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    Am I the only one that remembers when we were explicitly told this would "never" happen? Wait a minute, I've been in this community long enough. I KNOW I'm not the only person that remembers that.

    If the old forums and archived posts weren't dead beyond dead I'd find where it was stated that powers wouldn't be placed into lockboxes. I distinctly remember reading things would never go this route back when the first iteration of prize bags were introduced (before the need for keys) and The Cursed was the big prize.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,199 Arc User
    crosschan wrote: »
    Rtma: Characterizing the Devs/Cryptic as Mr. Burns really accomplishes nothing at all.
    Riiiight, and Cryptic's vision and dedication continues to make Champions Online a realm of passion and unbridled pleasure for all the growing masses(&Content) to enjoy.
    *Stifles Laughter, Ends Sarcasm*
    I can say the same thing about Poverty, Greed and Corruption in the world doesn't change a thing either, but I'm still concerned about those affected...

    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

    I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

    "customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • sniktchsniktch Posts: 3 Arc User
    Unsubbed. I do not pay you to put content behind limited-time randomized paywalls.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 4,987 Arc User
    To me it would be really weird if they didn't have some way to track the number of lock boxes opened. I'd wager there's always some flow of people buying keys to open old/current lock boxes (otherwise we wouldn't seem them for sale in AH and so on). Wouldn't they be looking to see if a current box was leading to a significant spike in key sales? Some people will gamble for the power, but what the companywould look for is if the sales stay relatively flat (due to large numbers of people boycotting) or if there is a serious uptick (despite what people are saying on this forum).
    Even if there is something keeping track of how many people open a given lockbox, that's all it keeps track of... it doesn't have a category for "People who decided not to open the lockbox because they disagree with it".

    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    So, let's recap for 2015 so far:

    The drop rate for lockbox costumes has dropped down to an absurdly low percentage, ensuring that the costumes are costing the players more money.

    Cryptic acknowledges that some C-Store costumes are of substandard quality, and decides to 'fix' that by just raising the prices of everything, doubling the prices of the good ones.

    Vehicles are still being shoved down our throats and are also still one of the most useless things in the game.

    One of the best entries in the costume idea contest is implemented; and it looks like complete garbage, lacks the versatility and options the designer intended, and all critique is answered with essentially a middle finger.

    Players have long been asking for new content, especially after level 40, to which Cryptic responds with a new tutorial that is a complete waste of developer time and serves no purpose over the old tutorial.

    People want new powers to use while replaying the same old content, so Cryptic decides that the best way to do this is to put this power into a gamble box.

    I'm normally not okay with calling people names, but I'll say it: You don't get to be this kind of stupid by accident. It just can't occur naturally, you have to be doing it on purpose.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    All I'm going to add is the following:

    - I assume this is an experiment, one which for the sake of Gravity Driver, I will likely be participating in due to the fact that the power looks very very pretty and fills a hole in a build of mine. It will also enable me to hand out Gravity Driver Tokens to others and this is pleasing to me.

    - I am not very okay with the idea of locking powers behind lockboxes, but I have stated my thoughts on the matter in this particular instance. I would agree and hope in future that locking powers behind lockboxes is NOT the thing to do. Instead I would prefer powers to be obtainable in game through one or a combination of the following ways, which have all been suggested by myself & other players/forum users:

    * Q Store for a reasonable amount
    * Completing a chain of missions in Champions Online (perhaps have it connected to the Perk System via Lore?)
    * C-Store additions
    * Lockbox Reward Card
    * Locked behind a thematic AT (such as what was done with Rocket Fist and Aspect of The Machine)
    * Simple, straightforward addition to the game.

    The addition of the Automaton...somewhat coincided with Steel Crusade...as far as I personally am aware there isn't anything aside from Ravenswood which has been added to the game or will be added in the very near future. However I do hope to see space related missions from GATEWAY or perhaps Roin'esh Return after Whiteout or perhaps some interesting open world fights.

    Anyway, I do hope everyone is having a wonderful 4th of July (provided you celebrate it)
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User

    - I assume this is an experiment, one which for the sake of Gravity Driver, I will likely be participating in due to the fact that the power looks very very pretty and fills a hole in a build of mine. It will also enable me to hand out Gravity Driver Tokens to others and this is pleasing to me.

    Though we nearly always agree, Raven, you do see the conflict here. If you (and I, too) open a bunch of these lockboxes to get the power and help others, that will encourage the devs to put the next power in a lockbox.
    ___________________________________________________________

    Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    The have some extra Power lying around. People asked for it. They put it in the LockBox.
    People didn't like how Rocket Fist was implemented. That will not be done again. Ever.
    This is one and only time this will happen. Ever.
    It's not at New Shiney Way to put New Powers in the game.
    Ever.
    :*
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I've long accepted that lockboxes has been a business model that turned out to be working and brings in the revenue, but I can't accept locking new powers or powersets behind them. Heck I wasn't even keen on the idea on locking them behind having to level an AT to 40 to begin with.

    The right thing to do would be to make them fully accessible to Gold players and IMO maybe implement the power into a new AT.

  • rtmartma Posts: 1,199 Arc User
    *Snip*

    It's as if they intended it all along, they plan to drive the community away to justify unplugging/using CO so they can focus on other projects/resources that are prioritized to their other games.

    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

    I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

    "customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,770 Arc User
    The skybox is falling.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2015
    ​​
    Grats Meed, they're finally making the mistake you pushed so hard for.

    Meh. I'll wait till an entire powerset will be lockboxed.

    Until then watching it is not fun enough. RtcjLDn.gif

    I have all the faith in Cryptic Los Gatos based on their stellar records from last months. They will not fail CO. 100% sure of it.

  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    While there are a lot of things I agree with in this thread, I have to make one thing clear here:


    I do not blame the devs for this. I'm sure they were face palming as hard as anyone when they heard that this was going to be implemented. The devs work on content and mechanics - lockboxes and what goes in them are a marketing decision, and that decision is likely handled by some suit at Perfect World. Good old Perfect World... making terrible decisions and sitting back comfortably while other people get blamed for them.


    Sometimes I think Perfect World accidentally got into video games, where as originally they wanted to build casinos.
Sign In or Register to comment.