test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rainbow Flight Free Weekend!

trailturtletrailturtle AdministratorPosts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited June 2015 in Super News Network
Looking for a high-flying way to get around Millennium City? This weekend, we’re making the Rainbow Flight travel power free for a limited time!

From now until Monday, log in and claim your Rainbow Flight from the C-Store, in the Powers -> Travel Powers section. This is a permanent and account-wide unlock, and is normally 525 ZEN.

Make sure to get your Rainbow Flight fast, though, because this promotion ends on Monday 6/29 at 10am PDT!
«1

Comments

  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,770 Arc User
    Hooray for free!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    Look! A squirrel!
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    but does it come with exclusive rainbow coloured meaningless trinket for extra shiny?
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

    Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

    eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png


    Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • knazzirknazzir Posts: 37 Arc User
    I don't care if this is just jumping on the bandwagon, I'm getting a freaking rainbow (and cloud) to ride!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2015
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    Good show Cryptic.

    'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 733 Arc User
    I will stand and applaud Cryptic for this wonderful gesture in celebration of a momentous event. I was just reading all the articles about how many companies in the U.S. are supporting the event and I thought to myself, "Gosh, this would be a good time to buy Rainbow Flight." So I log in and I saw the free Rainbow Flight. Brought a tear to my eye. Bravo Cryptic! :)
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    If this is to distract us with a shiny because of the Grab XP snafu, shame on you.

    If it's to take notice of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, great, but why not say so in the announcement?

    Also, what if we're one of the many, many players who already bought it years ago (with Cryptic Points iirc)? Is it a little joke, i.e. "Hey, we're already giving them a shiny they can't really use with the double XP on a weekend when we messed up Grabs due to incompetence, let's rub a little extra salt in"?

    How about something useful, like a refund of the huge price of 750 zen we were cheated out of for the Variable Robot set? Go ahead and re-lock it, I really, REALLY don't want it.

    Or maybe lower ALL travel powers that are just reskins of basic travel powers to a far more reasonable 200 zen permanently? After all, you have an infinite supply of the product, and it's basically just one costume piece that provides no in-game advantage. I'd pay 525 zen for a full costume set (with at least 7-10 pieces competently done and properly attached to the bones), but for one piece? No way.

    Edited because the filter is a bigot.
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    Great idea! Is there anything similar going on in other games like STO, Neverwinter?
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    It's not like I'm going to make a new character just for this power or anything... baka...
  • KagamiTheMagicalCatGerlKagamiTheMagicalCatGerl Posts: 357 Arc User
    If this is to distract us with a shiny because of the Grab XP snafu, shame on you.

    If it's to take notice of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, great, but why not say so in the announcement?

    Also, what if we're one of the many, many players who already bought it years ago (with Cryptic Points iirc)? Is it a little joke, i.e. "Hey, we're already giving them a shiny they can't really use with the double XP on a weekend when we messed up Grabs due to incompetence, let's rub a little extra salt in"?

    How about something useful, like a refund of the huge price of 750 zen we were cheated out of for the Variable Robot set? Go ahead and re-lock it, I really, REALLY don't want it.

    Or maybe lower ALL travel powers that are just reskins of basic travel powers to a far more reasonable 200 zen permanently? After all, you have an infinite supply of the product, and it's basically just one costume piece that provides no in-game advantage. I'd pay 525 zen for a full costume set (with at least 7-10 pieces competently done and properly attached to the bones), but for one piece? No way.

    Edited because the filter is a bigot.

    Or maybe just "Thanks for the free thing" instead of feeding into the stereotype that Champions Online players are the most grumpy ungrateful potatoes on the internet...
  • mrlunkovichmrlunkovich Posts: 59 Arc User
    Yeah Baxter I would have to say it is probably a bit of both, a distraction and a nod to the case ruling. I mean really the ruling is announced and they just happen to give a rainbow away free? As for why they didn't say it was a nod to the ruling in the announcement, sadly justice being served in court doesn't change the fact there are still bigots in the world and companies rarely want to give said a reason not to spend money with them. Have to remember that regardless of Citizens United companies are not in fact people and only care how green someone's money is not how dark their heart is.

    The world of gaming is no shelter from bigots, in every game you will find pockets of "gay bashers", racists( of all stripes), sexists( both kinds) and "nationalists" that will drop every game of a company if it says it supports something they are against. Hence why very few companies ever publicly endorse a political viewpoint or social issue, they want everyone's money regardless of the source. Usually the only time you hear anything about a company of any kind supporting a political viewpoint or social issue is when it is privately owned and said owner speaks publicly about their own personal opinion on the matter, while the ones with shareholders and board members quietly keep their company mouth shut.
    ~I'm a figment of your imagination, a mass hallucination, only real because you feel I am~
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User

    Or maybe just "Thanks for the free thing" instead of feeding into the stereotype that Champions Online players are the most grumpy ungrateful potatoes on the internet...

    What free thing? I got nothing. Grateful for what? We're grumpy for a reason. Actually, several hundred of them.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    You didn't get a free thing, Bax. News flash - despite some folks' grumpy insistence on falling numbers, you're still not the only person playing. It's not Cryptic's fault that you had to have the new shiny back when it was still new and shiny.

    Also, while for reasons relating to some people's personal issues they're not going to come out and say Rainbow Flight is free to celebrate the SCOTUS ruling, come on - you think it's just coincidence that it happened that afternoon??

    Trust me, being a grumpy old man is overrated. Try having some fun and being happy for other people instead.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 964 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Trust me, being a grumpy old man is overrated. Try having some fun and being happy for other people instead.

    And John would know!
    Actually, so would I. ahem.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Sometime the right answer is to keep your cakehole shut, nod your head, and smile.

    Everyone can now bask in the glory that is Rainbow Flight. Bask! <- Link (why is the link color the same as the regular text color?)
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    Please note my number of posts, the current state of the game, and if you could my friends list with 300+ entries and a max of four on at any given time (usually only one or two).

    Every time I've kept my "cakehole" shut, it's gotten worse. Nodding and smiling when things are going wrong is never the right answer.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    This is a thread talking about Cryptic giving away free stuff. There are already threads talking about the stuff you brought up here for no good reason. So, shhhh, nod your head, and smile.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    Why? What good would that do?
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Nod your head and smile?

    originalbaxter has a point and made it. Maybe the usual 20 people (me included) who respond to threads in the CO forums could avoid the snark and take stock of the opinion of a fellow player who has been playing and paying CO for years and who is always glad to help other players, new and old alike, without shooting him down and shushing him. No wonder most folks don't want to come to the forums

    This forum needs to widen its gene pool because it's getting stagnant in here.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,798 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    KagamiTheMagicalCatGerl beats me there:

    Or maybe just "Thanks for the free thing" instead of feeding into the stereotype that Champions Online players are the most grumpy ungrateful potatoes on the internet...

    My first thought was Eddie Murphy's "This diamond ring is too CLOUDY!" routine. :p
    'Dec out

    QDSxNpT.png
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Given that the problem with the XP alerts is known, being worked on, and we're already getting the double/double extended, I doubt this is a distraction. Judging from what I've seen elsewhere (my FB feed has a lot of rainbows from old gaming colleagues, some folks are really happy about the ruling and want to celebrate it). I have no reason to doubt that Trail or Randy are anything but 100% sincere here.

    As for :"why not mention it", my guess is that someone in marketing or other branch of management is scared of being openly political or be interpreted as Cryptic/PWE endorsing a political party, so this was the easiest way they could do this on the fly with as few repercussions as possible.This is only speculation, though.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    Good show, cryptic. I ain't even mad that you didn't say specifically why, anyone with half a brain got it.
    Please note my number of posts, the current state of the game, and if you could my friends list with 300+ entries and a max of four on at any given time (usually only one or two).

    Make more. It's a free to play mmo, people come and go all the time. I've got so many friends that I literally *capped*, and had to delete a few hundred to make space. Probably 50 of them are on at a given time, and some of them never log on at all. 's the nature of the beast, dude.

    Seriously, of all of the threads to post this kinda nonsense in, this is the absolute worst one. They literally gave something away for free to celebrate the fact that LGBT people (such as myself, and a sizeable portion of the community) can now marry anyone they want to. And you're complaining about it.

    Heck, dude, if you're really that butthurt about the state of the game, go start a new thread on it. Don't ruin this, it's legitimately a really nice gesture on their part that they were under NO obligation to make.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 733 Arc User
    @originalbaxter, seriously??? That was such poor taste...

  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    @EvilTaco and @monsterdaddy, please re-read my posts, in context with the ones before them, both of you missed the point.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    Also, what if we're one of the many, many players who already bought it years ago (with Cryptic Points iirc)? Is it a little joke, i.e. "Hey, we're already giving them a shiny they can't really use with the double XP on a weekend when we messed up Grabs due to incompetence, let's rub a little extra salt in"?

    If you've already bought the travel power, then much like any of the other free promotional items you are simply sol. (Such as the hideout promotions) That is the way these things work.

    I'm pretty sure they didn't plan for that xp bug, and they are actively working on it. Coding can sometimes be a lot like a game of jenga. Changing one line or forgetting to add a simple ; to the end of another can have consequences in areas of the code you may not have expected. While I feel the testing process Cryptic employs may be in need of some work, no amount of testing will ever catch everything, and sometimes things can break by simply going from beta code to live code. There is no way to predict what might break or when.

  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 733 Arc User
    @EvilTaco and @monsterdaddy, please re-read my posts, in context with the ones before them, both of you missed the point.
    Oh no, we got your point. Do people invite you to parties? Because it appears you totally have no social skills and completely missed the point of Cryptic's gesture and decided to throw cold water on a celebration with stupid accusations.

    Sometimes, a gift is just a gift. Don't be clueless, a simple Google search will show why corporations around the world are offering Rainbow associated promotions and ads. It's really that FREAKING SIMPLE. So do us a favor and leave this thread alone so the people here who UNDERSTAND how important this is can enjoy it in peace.

    Thank you again Cryptic!


  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    Oh no, we got your point.

    Sadly, no, no you do not. Please stop trying to pick a fight. I'm glad you and others are happy about the give-away.

    I was told, however, to be "grateful" for it as well, when I have no reason to be. This is not grade school, where a snide comment is allowed to derail a cogent argument.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    @EvilTaco and @monsterdaddy, please re-read my posts, in context with the ones before them, both of you missed the point.
    Oh no, we got your point. Do people invite you to parties? Because it appears you totally have no social skills and completely missed the point of Cryptic's gesture and decided to throw cold water on a celebration with stupid accusations.

    Sometimes, a gift is just a gift. Don't be clueless, a simple Google search will show why corporations around the world are offering Rainbow associated promotions and ads. It's really that FREAKING SIMPLE. So do us a favor and leave this thread alone so the people here who UNDERSTAND how important this is can enjoy it in peace.

    Thank you again Cryptic!


    Offering rainbow flight but not actually having the courage to publicly say why is not an "important" gesture.

    I would have been more impressed and proud if Cryptic had made a positive announcement in support of the US Supreme Court's decision.

    Corporations suddenly offering rainbow items is meaningless unless they actually speak up.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User

    Offering rainbow flight but not actually having the courage to publicly say why is not an "important" gesture.

    I would have been more impressed and proud if Cryptic had made a positive announcement in support of the US Supreme Court's decision.

    Corporations suddenly offering rainbow items is meaningless unless they actually speak up.

    I second this. Well said.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 2,810 Cryptic Developer
    Cryptic has made a kind gesture, acknowledged that they're aware of a problem, and offered compensation because of not being able to address the problem quickly. That's some excellent pr.

    Reign in the bickering, please.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    My only regret is that I bought this travel power ages ago. Oh well.

    Oh, and baxter is a Debbie Downer.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    sterga wrote: »
    Everyone can now bask in the glory that is Rainbow Flight. Bask! <- Link
    "What the <bleep> was that??"

    "I dunno, but I'm not puttin' it in my report."

    :lol:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    People..seriously. It's a free gift. Just take the gift without over analyzing it and making it miserable. Also it's one of many things they did this weekend to make up for some mishaps. Again.. it's free. If you bought it already well that kind of stuff happens. Not just in games but in real life too. Sometimes stuff goes on sale a year after you bought it.. that doesn't entitle you to anything else.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    But a gift is only good if I didn't already own it!

    God, this f**king community kills me sometimes. Meanwhile, STO didn't even *GET* a bonus for the long maintenance. Maybe that's what we should do here. It's in the TOS you agree to when you launch the game that service may be interrupted and bugs may happen. They are under *no* obligation to make it up to anyone, or give out bonuses for the inconvenience. If all people are gonna do is whine when they do, maybe they should stop.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    But a gift is only good if I didn't already own it!

    God, this f**king community kills me sometimes. Meanwhile, STO didn't even *GET* a bonus for the long maintenance. Maybe that's what we should do here. It's in the TOS you agree to when you launch the game that service may be interrupted and bugs may happen. They are under *no* obligation to make it up to anyone, or give out bonuses for the inconvenience. If all people are gonna do is whine when they do, maybe they should stop.

    STO got a bonus

    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1191854/extended-downtime-thanks-for-your-patience/p1
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    Hooray for free stuff!
    Boo to grumpy people and their baseless accusations!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    Boo to baseless accusations about baseless accusations.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    "But they're just trying to distract us from the real issues by offering up a meaningless token that says nothing about their stance on the real issues!"
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    "But they're just trying to distract us from the real issues by offering up a meaningless token that says nothing about their stance on the real issues!"

    hmm...I just looked back on the thread to check that quotation. It's not here. Did you post to the wrong thread?

    If I have somehow overlooked it then please use the quote function to show me where it is.

    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    Weird, I was sure I had read that somewhere around here.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    No worries xydaxyda. Maybe it was on facebook somewhere.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    notyuu wrote: »
    but does it come with exclusive rainbow coloured meaningless trinket for extra shiny?
    If this is to distract us with a shiny because of the Grab XP snafu, shame on you.

    If it's to take notice of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, great, but why not say so in the announcement?

    Offering rainbow flight but not actually having the courage to publicly say why is not an "important" gesture.

    Corporations suddenly offering rainbow items is meaningless unless they actually speak up.

    My mistake.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    My comment was to the person I quoted in my post who thought that this was such an "important" gesture by Cryptic. It wasn't just a throw-in-the-air comment, it was in a particular context...which you omitted.I also stand by it. If you disagree with it then I am all for reasonable discussion.If you found it offensive or just plain wrong then please elaborate.

    As for the other people you just quoted. It looks to me like notyuu is joking for effect and original Baxter is hypothesizing (see the use of "if"). But they can elaborate if they want to I guess.

    Your quote of "But they're just trying to distract us from the real issues by offering up a meaningless token that says nothing about their stance on the real issues!" seems to still be missing.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You're right, I was glibly paraphrasing my interpretation of what other people had already written. The quote comes from my own head and sums up my impression of what others have expressed and why some people may have taken it a certain way. Not here to argue, not here to take offense, others before me already have that part covered.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    draogn wrote: »
    A one-day extension to the Summer Event, and the sort of Double-Stuf week that we're getting here. But we got a free Travel Power too! :smile:

    I suppose the equivalent would have been if they'd made another Tier 2 vehicle free...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    notyuu wrote: »
    but does it come with exclusive rainbow coloured meaningless trinket for extra shiny?
    If this is to distract us with a shiny because of the Grab XP snafu, shame on you.

    If it's to take notice of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, great, but why not say so in the announcement?

    Offering rainbow flight but not actually having the courage to publicly say why is not an "important" gesture.

    Corporations suddenly offering rainbow items is meaningless unless they actually speak up.

    My mistake.

    Clearly, sir, you merely hallucinated those posts.

    monocle-gentleman-wine-glass-topper-cheers-toast.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    My comment was to the person I quoted in my post who thought that this was such an "important" gesture by Cryptic. It wasn't just a throw-in-the-air comment, it was in a particular context...which you omitted.I also stand by it. If you disagree with it then I am all for reasonable discussion.If you found it offensive or just plain wrong then please elaborate.

    As for the other people you just quoted. It looks to me like notyuu is joking for effect and original Baxter is hypothesizing (see the use of "if"). But they can elaborate if they want to I guess.

    Your quote of "But they're just trying to distract us from the real issues by offering up a meaningless token that says nothing about their stance on the real issues!" seems to still be missing.
    It may not be a direct quote, but I find it to be a decent summary of this:
    If this is to distract us with a shiny because of the Grab XP snafu, shame on you.

    If it's to take notice of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, great, but why not say so in the announcement?

    Also, what if we're one of the many, many players who already bought it years ago (with Cryptic Points iirc)? Is it a little joke, i.e. "Hey, we're already giving them a shiny they can't really use with the double XP on a weekend when we messed up Grabs due to incompetence, let's rub a little extra salt in"?

    How about something useful, like a refund of the huge price of 750 zen we were cheated out of for the Variable Robot set? Go ahead and re-lock it, I really, REALLY don't want it.

    Or maybe lower ALL travel powers that are just reskins of basic travel powers to a far more reasonable 200 zen permanently? After all, you have an infinite supply of the product, and it's basically just one costume piece that provides no in-game advantage. I'd pay 525 zen for a full costume set (with at least 7-10 pieces competently done and properly attached to the bones), but for one piece? No way.

    Edited because the filter is a bigot.
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    People got a free travel power. It's made of rainbows.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    It may not be a direct quote, but I find it to be a decent summary of this

    Fair enough. I don't

    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
Sign In or Register to comment.