test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone up for a VOIP game? (interest check)

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I like superhero rpg's, I recently found champions (both the system and mmo) and I have to say im interested.

Play by post games and chat based games go to slow for me, Sadly where I live their aint much real roleplayers.

While Im not skilled enough at gm'ing to run a real game myself, I was wondering if anyone else was interested in some good old skype/ventrilo/teamspeak superhero roleplay, If theirs enough of us into it a gm's bound to stumble along. nothing like a pot of eager players to choose from. ^_^

Comeone! I cant be the only one interested :-)
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    <-- Suddenly wishes he had free time for that

I might not have the time to actually play or ever run a Champions based game, but if you need a voice chat server that's free, let me know. I know of a decent public one where you might end up getting more players from as well.

Send me a message and provided I don't die at work or something and I see my in game email, I'll toss you the details. I can't give it out over the forums here since I don't know how the forum folks feel about neutral online radio stations instead of stations that focus on CO. Either way, it's still 100% free.
    edited March 2010
    I'd like to gove this a shot. I don't know much about VoIP, but I'd like to learn more.
    edited March 2010
    It's pretty much all the fun of a tabletop. without the gamerfunk(tm). :)

The only problem with Audio gaming as opposed to text or true tabletop. is that it kind of has a hard limit on how many players the game can have. Theirs only 1 audio channel, so two people simply cannot talk at once.

Ive found 4 is the limit and magic number, 3 is good. but a little lite on players for some people. Having a text client also helps, so bob can ask his rules question in text without disrupting johns deep character roleplay.
    edited March 2010
    You might want to check out rptools.net

I haven't used it but several of my guildies have to play PnP games online.
    edited March 2010
    Skype can handle up to five concurrent users, so a GM and four players could easily play without having to worry about channel switching.
    edited March 2010
    I run a game on alternate Monday nights via Ventrilo, myself and 4 players, all old friends, some who married and escaped the gamer funk by getting married and moving out of town. ;) (Sorry, don't have the time to ge involved in another game)

We use ventrilo. The only real problem is that if two try to talk at once, you hear both and usually understand neither, but we've gotten to the point where that gets handled relatively smoothly.

For combat, to replace the table mat, we use: http://dabbleboard.com/draw. It's free (unless you want to pay for a membership, which is not necessary), maps can be done ahead of time and saved. The program can be a touch quirky at times, but most issues are solved via liberal use of "save" and "refresh."

Happy playing if y'all can get something going.
    edited March 2010
    I'd be all over this if I knew anything about the PnP or if I had a working microphone.
    edited March 2010
    It can handle more than 5 at once, but things get...messy once you go beyond it. Best to cap at 4 imho.

As for working microphones, I once got one for 7$. And it was part of a webcam, I didn't even know it a mic at first. It's even cheaper than buying a rules book of your own.
    edited March 2010
    Saldan wrote:
    You might want to check out rptools.net

I haven't used it but several of my guildies have to play PnP games online.

Drat you beat me to it. I just learned about http://www.rptools.net/ and their Map Tool. I have yet to use it but I've been pouring over everything it offers.

Anyone who wants to play a P&P game online should seriously look at this free program. The group I play with online (all old college buddies) uses Skype and next session will likely include the Map Tool program as well.

Sadly I'm too busy and don't have the books to be able to play Champions online. I'm just geeking out about Map Tool and want to spread the word.