test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How does Specialization work in the PnP?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Hey guys!

I'm working out a solution to the problem of Single Frameworks being gimped/ rewards for specialization in the Comp version of the game in this thread: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=101427

I was wondering if anybody could give me any insight into how Specialization is rewarded in the PnP, or post ideas in how to realize those paper-based concepts into the computer game.

Any and all help is appreciated. Number crunchers, imagination, and anything else is greatly appreciated. I believe that the Online game has as much potential to be as customizable as the PnP, and it's up to those of you who know the PnP to help make that happen!

Thank you!
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Hey guys!

I'm working out a solution to the problem of Single Frameworks being gimped/ rewards for specialization in the Comp version of the game in this thread: http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=101427

I was wondering if anybody could give me any insight into how Specialization is rewarded in the PnP, or post ideas in how to realize those paper-based concepts into the computer game.

Any and all help is appreciated. Number crunchers, imagination, and anything else is greatly appreciated. I believe that the Online game has as much potential to be as customizable as the PnP, and it's up to those of you who know the PnP to help make that happen!

Thank you!

Its not the same thing at all. In the PnP game you create your own powers and have essentially an unlimited number of options. For example one character might be conceived of as being a pure fire projector. Such a character can be built to have every bit as many options as a cherry picked character. Since there are essentially an unlimited number of powers for every concept this problem has less of an impact in the PnP game.

One thing does come to mind. In the PnP game characters with more tightly focussed power concepts, such as a firenwielder, can get their powers at a reduced purchase cost. This will generally not allow them to be more powerful since the allowed attack and defense values are set by the game master. It will however allow thwt character to buy more powers than a non themed character.
  • Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Fundamentally, in the PnP game you have a GM who smacks you for creating an abusive character. Other that that, the way points works somewhat encourages specialization.