test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO vs PnP:vs RL Desert Locations

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
I was reading up on Snake Gultch and Stronghold in the PnP books and matching up the locations of the CO versions of them and they generally match up pretty well (with some exceptions) in relation to each other.

* Burning Sands used to be either White Sands, NM in Do
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I had long ago placed Burning Sands in place of White Sand national park in old Alpha and early closed beta, and at one time had a screenshot gallery of RW locations near there.

I only wish I could somehow access all those old posts of mine, and wonder why they weren't archived somewhere we can find them.
    edited February 2010
    Zeke took them.
    edited February 2010
    Zeke! *Shakes fist at the sky*

word

Yeah, I remember Zeke, lol.
    edited February 2010
    Darn that Zeke! :)

So what was your take on Area 51 Rune? Maybe we might be able to piece together your old post on RW locations?
    edited February 2010
    Darn that Zeke! :)

So what was your take on Area 51 Rune? Maybe we might be able to piece together your old post on RW locations?

It was over a year ago, and included maps pulled from Google and yahoo maps I think.

I didn't account for Area 51 at the time.

My post was more about some very cool RW locations that could be used as inspiration, and to counter all the folks at the time asking why it wasn't flatter.
    edited February 2010
    As to your theroy of holloman being aera 51 on that map it is very possible. I used to live there myself and well lets jjust say if you didn't know security was extremely tight. To the point of armed guards next to trucks that were white and so very classified. As for Burning sands only thing i can think that it reminds me fo was the river of fire around that area. White sands missile range, and the park were not even close in relativ design to Burning sands. It actually reminds me more of the way up to colorado through Raton pass. Lots of canyons and rock pillars. In a way really though it looks like they took insperation from Graden of the gods here in colo. that and some of the other places around here like that.
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it is kinda hard to judge actual distance of landmarks when everyone has travel powers. :) Though White Sands is generally west of Holloman right? Or do you think its still too close even though they're on opposite sides of the map?
    edited March 2010
    I can't see it as being even remotely possible to chart things out in terms of CO to the Real World or even the PnP map... Everything in the desert is just so haphazzardly placed. Which is true of all the zones really. With the exception perhaps of Vibora Bay. To a certain extent it feels like the maps were design by way of a graphical roguelike generator.
    edited March 2010
    Kinda mentioned that in an earlier post. The reasoning behind the question of Holloman AFB was that there's multiple Military Bases in New Mexico and since RL Area 51 is in Nevada; where whould someone put the MMO Area 51 if they were running a PnP game.

My questions in this thread are geared more towards the changes between PnP Snake Gultch & Stronghold info vs. the MMO versionis. Since the PnP state real locations as reference points, I included RL locations as well cause well, why not? They're mentioned in the PnP, so the purpose of this thread is to speculate on what ideas were churning in the art teams minds as they were laying out the map.

I'm sure there was some homage given when spacing out the area. Stronghold being north of Snake Gultch which generally matches the PnP, and Burning Sands (i.e. White Sands X) being west of the two. There is also a lot of references to New Mexico in regards to the critters there like Brother Alamogordo.

Maybe even help people who are running PnP games in providing more flavor and background to the MMO zones when they're running their games.

I'm not trying to point out what's wrong with the map compared to RL as it's designed primarly with gameplay in mind rather than a navagation tool. Only attempting to flesh them out more.