test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What happened to the Lore?

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
It was in the website, but I haven't heard anything for a while.
Adding the history into the game in a" Meningful" way instead of just text would be awesome!
Maybe even add some Pen & Paper elements into the game.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    While I don't know much about the PnP Lore, I would like to see it introduced more heavily into the game.

All I ask is that it remain accessible to people who don't have an enormous knowledge of the PnP.
    edited February 2010
    A few cutscenes here and there couldn't hurt. (I.E. You enter a dungeon to deal with a supervillain, a quick cutscene explains the backstory).

Then again, I've been obsessed with Mass Effect 2 since I bought it so my tolerance for cinematic storytelling may not represent the community as a whole.
    edited February 2010
    More cinematics when you do big story related quests would certainly be nice and I'm all for more lore showing up on the front page. I don't believe it would be too hard to get the lore updates we had early in the game's life rolling, right?

It's not like there isn't a lot of content from the various books and sources to use.
    edited February 2010
    What happened to the lore?

Data finally defeated him and then a few years later some stuff with the Klingons happened and... . >.> Wait, sorry, wrong forum. =^_^=
    edited February 2010

Data finally defeated him and then a few years later some stuff with the Klingons happened and... . >.> Wait, sorry, wrong forum. =^_^=

No, no, no. What really happened to the lore is the Once-ler cut down all the Truffula Trees so he left -- wait, that's not the lore but the Lorax. Nevermind.
    edited February 2010
    I agree. Outside of a few blurbs on the battle of detroit, and some assorted blinking book easter eggs, the lore is almost non-existent in this game. I think the game needs to take its source material a little seriously to keep people interested in the story and the lore. What's worse is that much of the back story of the NPCs we interact with are usually kept to an explanation box and never used in-game somehow.

When cryptic bought this IP, they said that it was due to being lore-rich and with 25 years of story. I'd really like to see more of that.
    edited February 2010
    It would be pretty nice if there was a Historical Computer Archive we could access in say, the Library of the City that would allow us to understand the setting better.

Sort of like Mass Effect's Encyclopedia.
    edited February 2010
    Hmm, the Lore in this game might be a touchy point due to cross-production with the pen and paper game it gets the material from. Too much in-game might lessen the value of sourcebooks. There needs to be enough in game to sate an immediate need but promote the purchase of the 6th edition sourcebooks.
    edited February 2010
    I'm sorry, but cryptic bought the rights to this IP because of the rich story to mine. There is no excuse to make a story scant game.
    edited February 2010

Are you sure this is the wrong forums....

Nothing has happened to CO since STO came out. No matter how much talking they do... CO is screwed
    edited February 2010
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with your hate.
    There's been more DEV communication than I've ever seen
    GM's that told us they're spending most of their time QQ on the new March Update
    A plea to CO player to jump into PTS to help test CO's patches
    More PVP events planned due to the success of the first event
    and more.
    edited February 2010
    Zugzug wrote:
    Are you sure this is the wrong forums....

Nothing has happened to CO since STO came out. No matter how much talking they do... CO is screwed

Well this is postivively false.
    edited February 2010
    Silverspar wrote:
    Well this is positively false.

Who ..huh.. Well IT had a very nice Lady doing it.. Over Worked and Gluten Challenged. Helping IRon Angel out she had to then bail the STO PAth to out among others.

I would be a fan of a synergy with it in the form of a MAshon Feature monthly with new Screen Shots. You Just have to embed a proper hero photojournalist in for BattleField Special Events reports.. Dan Rather from Khe Sanh ?? GM Indigo Fire from End of Beta Dr Destroyer's Invasion.

That's a load to place on the OCR its two hats. You have to respect people that make an effort ;but understand the trap writers fall into if they rush something out.. Gaps in continuity happen; plot or story lines blur and all sorts of MAss Chaos[insert Ghost busters dialog".. .
    Still Waiting for Sapphire! 10-09 indeed..:p

If commas were semi colons id be a millionaire..or writing instructions on dog food bags..
    edited February 2010
    For those of you who are interested in learning more about the lore, please check out the thread I just posted on the Champions Universe book that I'm currently writing and let Hero know what you'd like to see in the book! ;)
    edited March 2010
    As a Veteran of the old Champions PnP from the 1980's I have barely seen anything I recognise in the Online game.

I recognise a few of the core villain groups (Viper, Argent, PSI) and a few of the supervillains but the settings dont really seem very familiar.
    I remember 2 full sourcebooks of supervillains that arent used, adventure sourcebooks (the great supervillain contest - an idea just Screaming to be a pvp setting, Zodiac etc) and multitudes of power types that just seem neglected. Perhaps the Champions PnP game evolved into a completely new entity since I played but this game doesnt bear any resemblance to my memories.

If the game has changed then there are ways around it. Mystical portals that send you back in time to different eras... this way all content can be used without affecting a current setting! Its something to think about.
    edited April 2010
    Atm the story and background element does seem to be a bit lacking.
    Some more fluff and cinematics would do wonders.
    The same with story missions and a background/biography encyclopedia in the game with info on enemies,bosses, locations etc.