Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Now... I must get the PnP and return to tabletop gaming. =^_^=

Ahh, writing on a new forum. *polishes post* squeekysqueeky
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I'm actually looking forward to the release of the new edition. I bought the 5th Edition of the Heroes system and couldn't even read it. I really hope the new one is easier for those, like me, who haven't ever played it.

Until then, Mutants and Masterminds is still great.
    edited February 2010
    I've been thinking more and more to go out and get Champions. I miss my tabletop gaming but it's been ten years. To say I am rusty would probably be an understatement.
    edited February 2010
    The pnp game still has an active fanbase and its own forums over at http://www.herogames.com/

Steve Long and the Defenders of Justice crew have been excellent developers of the Hero Game system over the last few years with a plethora of titles both in the Champions genre and other settings.
    edited February 2010
    M&M was definitely a nice read, had a little bit of a hard time with the system having come from others. (D&D, AD&D, Palladium, GURPS, WoD/et al, heck even rolemaster back in the day) My group and I saw Champions and then blinked at the 86D6 on one sheet and gave it a pass. Nowadays I don't really care about system as much as story, so I'll probably have to give it a looksee now that I've hooked up with another gaming group. They're DnD buffs, I prefer superhero genre, but I can work on them and get them to change. >:)
    edited February 2010
    86d6! That's extreme by any measure. I won't argue that you'll need a dozen or so d6 for some attacks, but that's twink city.
    edited February 2010
    My group and I saw Champions and then blinked at the 86D6 on one sheet and gave it a pass.

EGADS!:eek:

What was that? Dark Phoenix eating a sun?;)

Seriously 12d6 is normally as high as you go in early campaigns, 16 in late and *maybe* 20d6 for epic level campaigns. But the kicker is d6 is pretty much all you need, no other polygons, so you can always scavenge from games of monopoly etc ;).

Champions PnP is based on the HERO system which is, hands down, the BEST most flexible system I've ever seen for simulating, well, ANYTHING.

Like any new system you have to look at it and wrap your head around the way it works, but it's REALLY elegant and fantastically flexible. HERO system can do ANYTHING. :)
    edited February 2010
    The beauty is the flexibility. Last week we were playing my Stellar Knights campaign. Cosmic power superheroes. 120 Active point VPP, with the campaign eventually going to take us to 200 points in those pools with around 2k point characters. Megascale Area of effect powers, the works.

We cut lose with 20+ d6 attacks. but as we are playing via skype and using dice rollers, its no more problem.

Last night was our Aegis campaign, playing normal guys with real word technology levels hunting down low powered mutamts working for various terrorist groups (we heard rumors of one called Viper).

Two games, vastly different power scales, all 6th edition, all running well. Ah HERO.....
    edited February 2010
    I haven't played a lot of Champions. My little brother has the book and he's run one game or so, and I've made maybe two or three characters. It seems too... complicated. Especially compared with Mutants and Masterminds, which me and my friends have been playing since around the time it came out in 2002.

That being said, I like that they have a forum dedicated to the pnp. If it gets more people into tabletop gaming, all the better.
    edited February 2010
    Argentae wrote:
    EGADS!:eek:

What was that? Dark Phoenix eating a sun?;)

Seriously 12d6 is normally as high as you go in early campaigns, 16 in late and *maybe* 20d6 for epic level campaigns. But the kicker is d6 is pretty much all you need, no other polygons, so you can always scavenge from games of monopoly etc ;).

Champions PnP is based on the HERO system which is, hands down, the BEST most flexible system I've ever seen for simulating, well, ANYTHING.

Like any new system you have to look at it and wrap your head around the way it works, but it's REALLY elegant and fantastically flexible. HERO system can do ANYTHING. :)

Well, come to think of it, this was shown to us by the guy who also in WoD had a werewolf/vampire/mummy/mage and we of course commented "Must be a halfelfhalforcdragonkinhumanhalflingdwarf... .. ." Probably not the best of introductions, but in the case of the champions, it wasn't just him so we thought it was probably legit that time. C'est la vie!

ps This same guy was arrested some years later for robbing a bank... .. .

... .. .

With a sword.

Jay, if you're out there, that's one of my most amusing stories from back in the day, thankyou for the laughs twinkmeister. =^_^=
    edited February 2010
    At least in New World of Darkness becoming one type of Supernatural precludes you from becoming others. It should be impossible to have a Vampire Werewolf for instance. Old World of Darkness I can't speak on, beyond I've heard that it's really bad if you embrace another Supernatural but no one actually told me what happens!

I'd try HERO but I don't know enough people in real life that would be interested in such a detailed and involved system. Most of us enjoy things like Traveller or Storyteller because they're simple and easy to adapt.
    edited February 2010
    HiKaizer wrote:
    At least in New World of Darkness becoming one type of Supernatural precludes you from becoming others. It should be impossible to have a Vampire Werewolf for instance. Old World of Darkness I can't speak on, beyond I've heard that it's really bad if you embrace another Supernatural but no one actually told me what happens!

I'd try HERO but I don't know enough people in real life that would be interested in such a detailed and involved system. Most of us enjoy things like Traveller or Storyteller because they're simple and easy to adapt.

Technically, it was impossiblw in oWoD, but twinks being twinks always break the rules.
    edited February 2010
    Well considering the WoD should be the setting and the themes behind it I think they might have been missing the point by doing that.