test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I recently played 55 matches in Arena 11-20...

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2010 in The Hero Games
...and it was great.

FotM was the exception, I only remember one match where I couldn't do anything.

I think I stuck with a team twice, and spawned into the final 10 seconds of a beatdown once, so it's a pretty good sample, I think across two weeks. There were mostly short queue times, and a real variety of players.

My toon was Gadget/Electric: Gadget EB, Sonic Device, Muni Bots, Sparkstorm, Electric Form, Bionic Shielding (and Particle Mine when I hit lvl 20).

I had some good experiences in 21-30 (Arena & BASH) with more of a pure Gadgeteer, so I'm expecting this one to be fun in there as well. I'll be taking it there once I'm satisfied with my gear, probably level 25.

There's a lot of doom and gloom in T4, but I've been having a lot of fun in 11-30. Anybody else?
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    ...and it was great.

I think I stuck with a team twice, and spawned into the final 10 seconds of a beatdown once, so it's a pretty good sample, I think across two weeks. There were mostly short queue times, and a real variety of players.

My toon was Gadget/Electric: Gadget EB, Sonic Drive, Muni Bots, Sparkstorm, Electric Form, Bionic Shielding (and Particle Mine when I hit lvl 20).

I had some good experiences in 21-30 (Arena & BASH) with more of a pure Gadgeteer, so I'm expecting this one to be fun in there as well. I'll be taking it there once I'm satisfied with my gear, probably level 25.

There's a lot of doom and gloom in T4, but I've been having a lot of fun in 11-30. Anybody else?

Yep it has been a blast....be doing some T2 tonite...with sword toon I have been tweaking:D
    edited January 2010
    ...and it was great.

My toon was Gadget/Electric: Gadget EB, Sonic Device, Muni Bots, Sparkstorm, Electric Form, Bionic Shielding (and Particle Mine when I hit lvl 20).

I played with/against you a bunch yesterday, on Scalar (electric) & Eisbrecher (ice melee).

It was pretty fun yesterday
    edited January 2010
    Welcome to the real CO PvP fun!

I'm sure we bumped heads and teamed up a few times along the path. I soul-surfer myself as well.

T2 is just broken enough to be slightly annoying every 20th game but just flavorful enough to see some real solid PvP action/builds/concepts without every broken power/advantage combo under one roof and every other player has nearly all of them.

Even the games I lose, 90% still feel like it was a good game.
    edited January 2010
    I don't get why you people like t2. I had an alt down there a few weeks ago "Flavor of the Month". It was ridiculous. I had WTK in t2 though lol. Try that out it'll ruin t2 for you real fast.
    edited January 2010
    someone had what the kaboom yesterday and it was manageable for the most part if your team understood how to block/run/heal, anything besides stand there and take it
    edited January 2010
    Actually, WTK? doesn't necessarily ruin it. There are a handful of specs that I've run (not using hold/STC/chain knockback) that still beats it fairly reliably.

But WTK? is definately one of the stronger builds to make if optimized. But a smart player that remembers to break LOS and/or block after being stuck with a couple huge arrows should see the spec minimalized anyways.

EDIT: Beam, Greenarrow and someone else I forget the name of has been using it for the past couple of days.
    edited January 2010
    My favorite player from yesteday was radiant cheng mei, she was a pure martial arts melee build with invuln, almost impossible to kill, but did absolutely no damage.

THat didn't stop her from trying though! And try she did!

:)
    edited January 2010
    I have been having a blast with Greenbow in tier2 the last week.
    He is an archer but I still dont have Explosive arrow or WTK and I did rather well.

I built up my defenses using Regeneration with as many dodge powers as possible to
    give me plenty of avoidance. Strafe with Aversion, Evasive Maneuvers, Master Dodge.

What I find to be the most useful is Acrobatics, it and Archery work great together.
    I just never stop moving and that has saved me more then anything else.

Its was so much fun I was sad to level past 20 but now I'm working on my build for tier 3 and I look forward to that as well.
    edited January 2010
    I hafta wonder when they're gonna 'fix' aversion. Is it still giving more dodge/avoidance than a max-dex LR char? Bet you aversion is what is telling their data mining that dodge/avoidance is too good, which is leading to the incoming LR nerf. I seriously think there is a muppet at the controls right now.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    I hafta wonder when they're gonna 'fix' aversion. Is it still giving more dodge/avoidance than a max-dex LR char? Bet you aversion is what is telling their data mining that dodge/avoidance is too good, which is leading to the incoming LR nerf. I seriously think there is a muppet at the controls right now.

Aversion is nice but there are plenty of ways to build a strong defense without using Strafe+aversion.
    edited January 2010
    T2 is pretty fun right now, there are alot of good players and luckily a fair few bad ones to balance it out :rolleyes:

Means queues are short, the combat is challenging and the matches don't take a lifetime to finish ;)

Just a shame the teams are never balanced at the start.
    edited January 2010
    Andor wrote:
    Aversion is nice but there are plenty of ways to build a strong defense without using Strafe+aversion.

True, but that doesn't actually have anything to do with the point. Imagine if the might EB had a proc that gave you six stacks of defiance instantly. Or the power armor one gave you 15 seconds of rank 3 invuln. That's pretty much what aversion does with regards to LR, actually last I checked it gave MORE than you can get out of LR, and their stupid data mining is saying 'nerf dodge/avoidance' because of it. So of course they are nerfing LR. If they'd actually look at the combat they'd see that most of that isn't coming from bloody LR but the stupid archery EB, but noooooooooo........
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    True, but that doesn't actually have anything to do with the point. Imagine if the might EB had a proc that gave you six stacks of defiance instantly. Or the power armor one gave you 15 seconds of rank 3 invuln. That's pretty much what aversion does with regards to LR, actually last I checked it gave MORE than you can get out of LR, and their stupid data mining is saying 'nerf dodge/avoidance' because of it. So of course they are nerfing LR. If they'd actually look at the combat they'd see that most of that isn't coming from bloody LR but the stupid archery EB, but noooooooooo........

I think you underestimate them.
    Its always easy to sit on the outside with little to no real data and say this is the problem or that is the problem.
    I don't have a real stance on the issue becuase I dont have enough data but of course you are allowed your opinion.

Powers like Defiance Build up extremely fast and give far more protection then aversion does.
    I always take damage and thats when aversion pops which is not 100% of the time unlike Defiance or Invul and even when it does pop I take more damage then I do if I pop unbreakable or MR or Master Dodge.
    Its nice but its not a defense by it self.
    edited January 2010
    i agree t2 is fun!

I've been playing in t2 with a friend on like 5 different chars the last weeks, and kinda feels like the best pvp i've had.

I've done some t4 on my lvl35, but i've just been blasted to the ground by some pro dude and getting yelled at for attacking the dude watching the game...

in t2 the only bad things are when you get shotgun or stc lamed, which isnt that often
    edited January 2010
    I've been playing my might toons and fire toon in tier 3 lately, 2 of which are about to move on. However, my killer clown Bonk will be around for a bit and it seems it's the most active tier so I always try and stick around with some characters.

As to aversion, I agree that it's too good. You get people stacking it with invul and defiance and you can't even damage them. When I start considering using it above all other end builders for almost every single character, I think that might mean something. I have it on my defiance character, just so he can build up stacks of defiant in safety. I have it on my archer, just because it goes with the theme, and I have it on a totally cheese build character. I hate to say it, but I think it may need the kinetic dart treatment.
    edited January 2010
    Andor wrote:
    I think you underestimate them.
    Its always easy to sit on the outside with little to no real data and say this is the problem or that is the problem.
    I don't have a real stance on the issue becuase I dont have enough data but of course you are allowed your opinion.

Powers like Defiance Build up extremely fast and give far more protection then aversion does.
    I always take damage and thats when aversion pops which is not 100% of the time unlike Defiance or Invul and even when it does pop I take more damage then I do if I pop unbreakable or MR or Master Dodge.
    Its nice but its not a defense by it self.

Yes, but it's NOT a defense by itself. It's as good as being a max-dex LR, and it's not hard to keep up since it doesn't have an internal cooldown like a lot of the other EB advs do, and you can have it AND regen/invuln/defiance.

Look, I've given up on the game myself, I'm not even playing anymore, I could care less. But if I had to pick the 'best' EB in the game it'd be archery hands down, and frankly I think it's quite out of line with it's contemporaries, it needs either to be nerfed in amount, or an internal cooldown added like they did to the others(which is the more reasonable option I think). I'm just being honest.

And besides, it took them how many months to get around to fixing STC? Don't fret about it, you don't have to defend broken abilities around here, by the time they fix anything I'm sure you'll have a whole new powerset of poorly designed abilities to choose from.

On the subject of EB advs, why is it the melee ones are the worst in the game? Shouldn't they be the best? Retarded backwards logic there.
    edited January 2010
    Sorrower wrote:
    As to aversion, I agree that it's too good. You get people stacking it with invul and defiance and you can't even damage them. When I start considering using it above all other end builders for almost every single character, I think that might mean something. I have it on my defiance character, just so he can build up stacks of defiant in safety. I have it on my archer, just because it goes with the theme, and I have it on a totally cheese build character. I hate to say it, but I think it may need the kinetic dart treatment.

Bingo, the internal cooldown they added to kinetic darts brought it down from 'ridiculous' to 'fine', and I think that's all that would be needed.
    edited January 2010
    The problem with Aversion is the 100% dodge chance, not so much its avoidance.
    edited January 2010
    I have seen plenty of pvp players near unkillable that didnt have aversion.
    Why should that route to a strong defense be romoved when there are other ways to get the same effect.

I like to think im a decent player and If im hit hard I go down just like anyone else. Should every build be as whimpy as a glass cannon.
    edited January 2010
    The other methods to get that hard to kill, the passive defense swapping and whatnot, need fixing too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Christ, I don't even know why I bother. Unless you're dense you darn well know it's far too powerful for an EB adv, but you want to use it as a crutch. Fine, you know what? I don't care. Nobody here really does anymore. The game is an unbalanced mess and while aversion is part of it, there are plenty of things worse that are a higher priority and have been broken for months themselves.

You'd think with pvp dying like it is, people would stop the whole 'but I NEED minimines!'. Guess not.
    edited January 2010
    Lothos666 wrote:
    I don't get why you people like t2. I had an alt down there a few weeks ago "Flavor of the Month". It was ridiculous. I had WTK in t2 though lol. Try that out it'll ruin t2 for you real fast.

Like I said - 55 games, 2 weeks, different players all the time. And FotM was a factor only in a few games. Maybe it's the hours I play.

I've done two Archers, and they were fun enough. But I like running different builds through. If WTK ruined the game for you, why would you not go with a different build? Why not take a combo you think is fun?

On the side topic, I agree with Anxiety that Aversion is on the OP side. The MA energy builders fire off Slotted Passives, but they're melee, and the passives aren't as powerful as LR. Aversion + Bionic Shielding gives you the chance to take an offensive passive with no real penalty, and there are at least 3 offensive passives that work very well with WtK.
    edited January 2010
    Like I said - 55 games, 2 weeks, different players all the time. And FotM was a factor only in a few games. Maybe it's the hours I play.

I've done two Archers, and they were fun enough. But I like running different builds through. If WTK ruined the game for you, why would you not go with a different build? Why not take a combo you think is fun?

On the side topic, I agree with Anxiety that Aversion is on the OP side. The MA energy builders fire off Slotted Passives, but they're melee, and the passives aren't as powerful as LR. Aversion + Bionic Shielding gives you the chance to take an offensive passive with no real penalty, and there are at least 3 offensive passives that work very well with WtK.

Yeah I found that out on my Archer. I have Aversion and Focus of the Unfettered Warrior with Dodge gear in my Primary Def slot and it's not too different from LR. Add in Bionic and Masterful Dodge and she's quite tough.
    edited January 2010
    On topic though I also find T2 to be quite fun. You can go in with some pretty original builds and do ok. And outside of STC the cheese factor is way down. Mostly peoe come in with their FotM Cheese builds in larval stage and not all that potent (PA builds in particular) and still chew them up with a UA/MA build. Heh.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    The other methods to get that hard to kill, the passive defense swapping and whatnot, need fixing too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Christ, I don't even know why I bother. Unless you're dense you darn well know it's far too powerful for an EB adv, but you want to use it as a crutch. Fine, you know what? I don't care. Nobody here really does anymore. The game is an unbalanced mess and while aversion is part of it, there are plenty of things worse that are a higher priority and have been broken for months themselves.

You'd think with pvp dying like it is, people would stop the whole 'but I NEED minimines!'. Guess not.

You really dont need to be an ****.
    I didnt call you names or insult you.

Tell me when is nerfing enough when would you be happy, when only melee can survive for more then 5 seconds against PA builds or one of the many huge damage builds out there or do you want all the super heros to be easy to kill.

I just dont get it, Should we get rid of all defensive powers that make you hard to kill. Regeneration by it self wont keep you alive for more then 5 seconds in higher lvl pvp if you dont add to the defense,

I guess we should all just get invul or defiance wouldnt that be fun.
    edited January 2010
    With invuln or defiance you will get burned up by a WTK or PA build pretty fast.
    edited January 2010
    Andor wrote:
    You really dont need to be an ****.
    I didnt call you names or insult you.

Tell me when is nerfing enough when would you be happy, when only melee can survive for more then 5 seconds against PA builds or one of the many huge damage builds out there or do you want all the super heros to be easy to kill.

I just dont get it, Should we get rid of all defensive powers that make you hard to kill. Regeneration by it self wont keep you alive for more then 5 seconds in higher lvl pvp if you dont add to the defense,

I guess we should all just get invul or defiance wouldnt that be fun.

Look, I'm just getting really really tired of arguing the same stupid points over and over. Mnimines, tazer arrow, MR, STC, whatever. If it was a 'maybe it is, maybe it isn't' kind of deal I'd be happy to argue minutiae or whatever, but c'mon, give me a break. Back when I gave a rat's **** about this game, I used the archery energy builder on every single one of my toons, regardless of how silly it looked for the theme. Every. Single. One. Wanna guess why that is?

I mean, I'm not invested in this game anymore, so thbbt it doesn't affect me. But it's so clearly above the alternatives (other EB advs) that it seems to be you're being willfully dense. I say that cause you don't seem like an idiot, so I have to assume you are only defending it because you use it on your main and don't want to lose the advantage it gives you. What people call a 'crutch'.

And look, the PA nuking builds and such? THOSE ARE BROKE TOO. A LOT of this game is broke. But so is aversion. I don't see anything wrong with stating 'well, yeah, it's too powerful, but given that everyone uses cascade spam with catalysts, it's the only way I can compete'. But instead everyone is always NOOO IT IS PERFECTLY BALANCED right up to when it gets nerfed then they're all well of course it was, I saw that coming for months. I mean heck you've admitted as much when you respond 'but it's the only way to deal with X'.

So really, I'm not trying to be rude on the matter, but you know what I'm just tired of this junk.
    edited January 2010
    Ehh, look, I'm not trying to be insulting here, you seem like a swell enough guy. If I cared anymore I'd bother to say things in a nicer, less insulting fashion probably. Or maybe not, I'm a bit of a jerk. But anyways, I just don't care anymore, so things tend to come out as more than a little blunt. So sorry for that.
    edited January 2010
    Lothos666 wrote:
    With invuln or defiance you will get burned up by a WTK or PA build pretty fast.

Yes and I have been killed by a good Force Cascade build that hits for so much I am basically one shot.

And good PA builds are uber nasty should we nerf them to, then what force and electric becuase they are so hard hitting.

Whats the deal should we nerf everything until melee is the only build left that hasnt been nerfed to oblivion.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    Ehh, look, I'm not trying to be insulting here, you seem like a swell enough guy. If I cared anymore I'd bother to say things in a nicer, less insulting fashion probably. Or maybe not, I'm a bit of a jerk. But anyways, I just don't care anymore, so things tend to come out as more than a little blunt. So sorry for that.

ITs cool,

I dont know why you are so embittered but I hope you feel better.
    edited January 2010
    Just tear out the catalyst junk, suddenly those 'uber' PA and Cascade builds won't be so uber. Catalysts really need to go regardless, they're way too good compared to any of the alternatives. Without them only people who are actually built to fire cascades can fire them, and running all the PA toggles at once will burn up the gas in a second. That'd be pretty balanced.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    Just tear out the catalyst junk, suddenly those 'uber' PA and Cascade builds won't be so uber. Catalysts really need to go regardless, they're way too good compared to any of the alternatives. Without them only people who are actually built to fire cascades can fire them, and running all the PA toggles at once will burn up the gas in a second. That'd be pretty balanced.

When is it enough when are we balanced.
    I agree that melee needs some serious work but I just dont get what your aiming at for the game.
    A good builder can setup a strong PA build without cataysts just keep your int high and you can keep those toggle working long enough to kill anyone. Especially becuase powers like concussor beams do good damage and can lock down a player.
    edited January 2010
    Well, fix repel/knockback/knockup resists and concussor beams are fine. Like I said, the game has a LOT of broken stuff. Most of it, like resists, don't require rebalancing powers at all, just fixing the mechanic. I think PA is fine, if all the mechanics/resists were fixed. But right now you can spam spam spam it until the cows come home, despite the fact it's supposed to be incredibly expensive to the point you can't spam it. Cascade is pretty much the same way.
    edited January 2010
    And, since you mentioned melee, on my melee chars if I see anyone using concussors, I just go hide in a corner or something. Because I'm not going to be able to sustain melee on ANYTHING (real melee, not stc tagging). There are so many spammable 'go away melee' abilities in this game that it just doesn't stand a chance. Sparkstorm and force eruption are two others that are terribad for melee.

Not sure what they can do about it either. Make it so every melee power you pick up gives you a passive +% resist to knockbacks and snares? The ranged people would find a way to exploit it so melee couldn't ever catch them while melee kept sucking most likely. :p
    edited January 2010
    Melee should just kill.
    edited January 2010
    Then all the ranged toons will take one melee to throw in with some hold spam. (OH HI STC, FANCY MEETING YOU HERE)
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    Well, fix repel/knockback/knockup resists and concussor beams are fine. Like I said, the game has a LOT of broken stuff. Most of it, like resists, don't require rebalancing powers at all, just fixing the mechanic. I think PA is fine, if all the mechanics/resists were fixed. But right now you can spam spam spam it until the cows come home, despite the fact it's supposed to be incredibly expensive to the point you can't spam it. Cascade is pretty much the same way.

This is the main issue with PvP. There are few broken powers but the list of broken game mechanics is long and cause 90% of the problems by making perfectly balanced powers OP. That and they need to tie more powers' effectiveness in with stances/passives.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    And, since you mentioned melee, on my melee chars if I see anyone using concussors, I just go hide in a corner or something. Because I'm not going to be able to sustain melee on ANYTHING (real melee, not stc tagging). There are so many spammable 'go away melee' abilities in this game that it just doesn't stand a chance. Sparkstorm and force eruption are two others that are terribad for melee.

Not sure what they can do about it either. Make it so every melee power you pick up gives you a passive +% resist to knockbacks and snares? The ranged people would find a way to exploit it so melee couldn't ever catch them while melee kept sucking most likely. :p

I have seen some good might players in pvp, of course they need a couple good holds but I will say that other then STC most of the sword skills and MA suck. The fact is the best Melee power is Chainsaw from gadgeteer and thats not even a melee powertset.

I have a 37th lvl might character that is all STR and CON and he has some pretty good KB resistance. Force and PA are often suprised at how little there KBs do.
    edited January 2010
    Uhh lol? I had a very well built Might character and got bounced like a ping pong ball. There's tons of ways to do this. Your STR does not do anything to the repel on concussors as well.
    edited January 2010
    Anxiety wrote:
    Then all the ranged toons will take one melee to throw in with some hold spam. (OH HI STC, FANCY MEETING YOU HERE)

I was kidding come on. That's why the solution of "bring everything up to PA/WTK" idea is fail. Killing players that fast is really lame.
    edited January 2010
    Lothos666 wrote:
    I was kidding come on. That's why the solution of "bring everything up to PA/WTK" idea is fail. Killing players that fast is really lame.

Oh I know, but I got a chance to rag on STC again, can't pass that up.
    edited January 2010
    Lothos666 wrote:
    Uhh lol? I had a very well built Might character and got bounced like a ping pong ball. There's tons of ways to do this. Your STR does not do anything to the repel on concussors as well.

Did you have repel, kb resistance items. I always use resistance items and I have found they cut back on the bouncing around by quite a bit.
    Did you stand in one place. Its easy to beat CBs just move sideways or get out of LOS.
    edited January 2010
    Andor wrote:
    Did you have repel, kb resistance items. I always use resistance items and I have found they cut back on the bouncing around by quite a bit.
    Did you stand in one place. Its easy to beat CBs just move sideways or get out of LOS.

Even if you stack every repel resist in the game, it's still not enough to actually melee anyone. I mean, yes, it will REDUCE the amount you get pushed around a bit, but you'll still get pushed around all the time, and when you have to be in their face just to land a hit, it's not going to help at all.

I could list off the spammable powers in this game that can each individually make it impossible to melee someone. Short list is concussor beams, force eruption, spark storm, STC (since any attempt at melee will get you tagged for far more damage than you will ever do to them), minidrive and ranged snares (which tend to be BETTER than the melee snares, real logic there), ebon sigils rank 3........really, unless they give an option to make your character all melee, but immune to 90% of the CC, it's pretty much pointless.

This game is designed in such a way you'd have to overhaul dozens of powers - NON MELEE POWERS - before melee would be viable. And even then you'd still have to rework all melee aside from power sword and chainsaw. I don't think they have the will or the manpower to do it frankly. You'll note their 'big melee rework' keeps getting pushed back and back. I think they realize they can't do it too, but just going 'oh wells, melee is going to suck forever' to the community is not an announcement they want to make. Watch them just push it back forever and hope people forget about it.
    edited January 2010
    I agree Melee sucks in this game at least for pvp.

The only way to even make it work is to have holds that keep them from doing anything long enough to get off
    a room sweeper or other attacks. I have killed lots of people with hold/chainsaw.
    edited January 2010
    Which I'd be totally okay with except for the problem that the PA toggle masters can do the exact same thing at 50+ feet. I'm messing around with a total melee char right now cause I'm bored to tears, and looking down the list for melee holds, I was greatly depressed to learn that not only was the only one I could find the same tier as electrocute and ego hold, but was actually LESS effective. A charged melee hold, with almost identical energy costs to the ranged alternative, has less duration and is much easier to break out of......

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA;lskajflskjfd;aksldjf;aslkdjf;askldjfa;slkdjf;aslkdfj;askdjfaslkj
    edited January 2010
    Yea I wasnt even talking about melee holds they really do suck.

I went with ego hold since your not doing damage when charging up the big hits.
    edited January 2010
    Hmmm I think i'm gonna get boozed and dust off my UA martial arts character tonight, see ya in the field peeps...and prepare to witness maximum failure on my part ;)
    edited January 2010
    Yep that's it. Even with all the anti whatever gear in the game you're gonna be PA'd and WTK'd into oblivion before you can do much.
    edited January 2010
    I have WTK on my archer toon. Picked it up at lvl 17 it is pretty fun tho somepeople instantly starts blocking or porting away when i come near them...
    edited January 2010
    And people just run off after you tag them with STC. Or use those crafted items if you run full PA toggles. Or just log out if you start spamming smoke nades. It is a mystery why I suppose. :p
    edited January 2010
    wrote:
    I have WTK on my archer toon. Picked it up at lvl 17 it is pretty fun tho somepeople instantly starts blocking or porting away when i come near them...
    ....:rolleyes:.....