test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Emergency Maintenance

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Super News Network
Currently, the Champions Online account server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the account server back online as soon as possible. This means that you will not be able to long it, but players in game will not be affected. Please keep your eye on this thread for updates, and notification when Champions Online is available again. Thank you, The Champions Online Team
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2010
    We won't be able to "long it"? I think I'll long what ever I want, thank you very much.

*pines for CO*
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    What am I paying you guys for?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Currently, the Champions Online account server is down. We are aware of this issue and are currently working to bring the account server back online as soon as possible. This means that you will not be able to long it, but players in game will not be affected. Please keep your eye on this thread for updates, and notification when Champions Online is available again. Thank you, The Champions Online Team

I know you probarly wont reply but I have a question.

Why cant you just reboot the whole of the servers causing the login server to reboot meaning that the problem would be repaired if I am not mistaken?

Why must we face this downtime every few days really I grow tired of it.. I may of only baught the game on the 24th of December but since then its been down atleast five times..
  • Options
    edited January 2010

+1

You know if you don't want my money i can go back to your competion. They aren't down every...****ING...week.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GodlikeOne wrote:
    I know you probarly wont reply but I have a question.

Why cant you just reboot the whole of the servers causing the login server to reboot meaning that the problem would be repaired if I am not mistaken?

Why must we face this downtime every few days really I grow tired of it.. I may of only baught the game on the 24th of December but since then its been down atleast five times..

I completely agree I am sick of this crap
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When DC Universe Online comes out I am ditching this game
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have an idea ... whenever the account server goes down - would it be possible to get an "in-game" update saying

DO NOT LOG OUT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE .....

That way, it only sucks for those who are getting online, and not those who are still inside.

I'm sure you could use the same system that tells us when the chat servers are offline 5 times a day ....
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ryoku wrote:
    We won't be able to "long it"? I think I'll long what ever I want, thank you very much.
    LMAO! er, um, yeah! freakin' CO!:mad:
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I say stick with this game if they iron out the bugs as I posted on another thread which was created several hours ago, Why havn't they got a fail safe for the login server/everything?
  • Options
    edited January 2010

City of Heroes is already out...
  • Options
    edited January 2010

To be at work fixing the login server at 9:00 p.m.? I know that I sure as he** wouldn't mind getting paid if I was going to be doing that.

That said, they're in the process of launching the Open Beta for another game that (insofar as I can tell) shares login/account servers with this game. That's going to be taxing on their systems, and buggy, and we're going to suffer the consequences until they get all of the overlap issues ironed out.

I'd also point out that you're paying them to not duplicate the 12-hour downtime that happened when this issue went unnoticed on Christmas day, and it seems that you're getting your money's worth there. This is getting much more immediate attention, which indicates improvement, which indicates that someone's doing something right and worthwhile.

As far as leaving for DCUO... well, we'll see. Because, y'know, SOE has such a great history of not ruining games.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GodlikeOne wrote:
    I say stick with this game if they iron out the bugs as I posted on another thread which was created several hours ago, Why havn't they got a fail safe for the login server/everything?

Because they don't feel they have to provide a reliable service for our paltry $15 a month 'you's take what we give you and like it"
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GodlikeOne wrote:

I still can barely wait though for DCUO
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    To be at work fixing the login server at 9:00 p.m.? I know that I sure as he** wouldn't mind getting paid if I was going to be doing that.

That said, they're in the process of launching the Open Beta for another game that (insofar as I can tell) shares login/account servers with this game. That's going to be taxing on their systems, and buggy, and we're going to suffer the consequences until they get all of the overlap issues ironed out.

I'd also point out that you're paying them to not duplicate the 12-hour downtime that happened when this issue went unnoticed on Christmas day, and it seems that you're getting your money's worth there. This is getting much more immediate attention, which indicates improvement, which indicates that someone's doing something right and worthwhile.

As far as leaving for DCUO... well, we'll see. Because, y'know, SOE has such a great history of not ruining games.

yeah it's only been down for 48 hours (people started reporting this issue YESTERDAY)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just got in - patching now
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nekollx wrote:
    yeah it's only been down for 48 hours (people started reporting this issue YESTERDAY)

And it's been up again from about an hour after it got reported last night to just now. I've been logging in and out all day today, no problems.

This has not been a continuous issue but, rather, was an issue that got resolved in short order last night and is now cropping up again for whatever reason. Like I said, two games sharing a login/account server is bound to have some wrinkles to iron out.

Edit: Also, 9:00 p.m. server time last night to 9:00 p.m. server time tonight DOES NOT equal 48 hours. Not that it's terribly important, since it hasn't been down that whole time, but still... hyperbole gets you nowhere on the interwebs XD
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just got in - patching now

Same...let's see how long this lasts? 10 minutes before going out again?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    And it's been up again from about an hour after it got reported last night to just now. I've been logging in and out all day today, no problems.

This has not been a continuous issue but, rather, was an issue that got resolved in short order last night and is now cropping up again for whatever reason. Like I said, two games sharing a login/account server is bound to have some wrinkles to iron out.

Edit: Also, 9:00 p.m. server time last night to 9:00 p.m. server time tonight DOES NOT equal 48 hours. Not that it's terribly important, since it hasn't been down that whole time, but still... hyperbole gets you nowhere on the interwebs XD

so out of 24 hours you've had /1/ hour of gme time...

and you cosider that acceptable?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You misunderstand; out of the 24 hours that you suggest it's been down, I've only LOST 1 hour of gametime... the hour that it took them to get it back up last night. As I said, I've been playing all day today, including logging in and logging out, with NO DIFFICULTY.

To repeat: the server has not been down the entire time, as you suggest it has.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    You misunderstand; out of the 24 hours that you suggest it's been down, I've only LOST 1 hour of gametime... the hour that it took them to get it back up last night. As I said, I've been playing all day today, including logging in and logging out, with NO DIFFICULTY.

To repeat: the server has not been down the entire time, as you suggest it has.

that is indeed better but they go down WAY to often, i'm sorry but this is happening on a weekly basis now, sorry if i find that completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nekollx wrote:
    that is indeed better but they go down WAY to often, i'm sorry but this is happening on a weekly basis now, sorry if i find that completely unacceptable.

As far as I recall, we haven't had any real problems with the servers going down between the Christmas day outage and the launch of the STO Open Beta. As I said, launching an entire second game that shares resources with CO is going to cause some hiccups. I think that the 20-minute resolution that we had tonight is perfectly acceptable, considering the circumstances that the company's resources are in - particularly since the game server never went down, and people who were already logged in were wholly unaffected by this issue.

CO actually was going down for extended periods of time every week/weekend for the first two months or so, but there has been steady and significant improvement in shortening the length of downtimes that do occur and in keeping them further apart. I think that constant improvement is all that we can really ask for in an MMO company; if you disagree and suggest that the game software or hardware should be perfect in any way, I'd suggest that perhaps your expectations are a bit too high (particularly for a new MMO) and that you would, perhaps, be happier with a single-player game or a more established MMO that's had time to work these kinks out of the system.

TL;DR version - Cryptic has been improving by having fewer, shorter outages. Every other MMO had these problems at this point in its history as well - if it's too much for you, take a CO vacation and come back when it's been ironed out.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    As far as I recall, we haven't had any real problems with the servers going down between the Christmas day outage and the launch of the STO Open Beta. As I said, launching an entire second game that shares resources with CO is going to cause some hiccups. I think that the 20-minute resolution that we had tonight is perfectly acceptable, considering the circumstances that the company's resources are in - particularly since the game server never went down, and people who were already logged in were wholly unaffected by this issue.

CO actually was going down for extended periods of time every week/weekend for the first two months or so, but there has been steady and significant improvement in shortening the length of downtimes that do occur and in keeping them further apart. I think that constant improvement is all that we can really ask for in an MMO company; if you disagree and suggest that the game software or hardware should be perfect in any way, I'd suggest that perhaps your expectations are a bit too high (particularly for a new MMO) and that you would, perhaps, be happier with a single-player game or a more established MMO that's had time to work these kinks out of the system.

TL;DR version - Cryptic has been improving by having fewer, shorter outages. Every other MMO had these problems at this point in its history as well - if it's too much for you, take a CO vacation and come back when it's been ironed out.

i do take vacations, i fact this is the first time i've had a chance to long in since chrismas, and it seems Every time i want to log in they are down.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Since launch I can probably count the number of times I've had problems getting in game on one hand, MAYBE two.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Then you have unfortunate timing - I've been playing every weekend, and the downtimes and problems have been getting continually fewer and shorter. This problem took them twelve hours to resolve on Christmas day... 20 minutes is certainly an improvement, and is actually a pretty respectable response time to such an issue for any MMO, much less a fledgling, nice genre MMO.

Also, if you've been away for weeks at a time, how can you make the declaration that the game goes down "every weekend"? That seems, at this point, like an uninformed opinion that's based on coincidence, faulty inference, and memories of a time when it would've held true.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ryoku wrote:
    Since launch I can probably count the number of times I've had problems getting in game on one hand, MAYBE two.

You haven't played very much then.

But in any case, these things happen, hence why it is called an emergency. Though at this point I think that separating the log in servers would be advantages for both games. (it would reduce the stress on the server and possibly increase log in times.) This is of course just an opinion and perhaps when all the bugs are ironed out of the system it may be fine, but both games being inaccessible to many players at the same time due to the log in server may not be worth the money saved by having only one server.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Then you have unfortunate timing - I've been playing every weekend, and the downtimes and problems have been getting continually fewer and shorter. This problem took them twelve hours to resolve on Christmas day... 20 minutes is certainly an improvement, and is actually a pretty respectable response time to such an issue for any MMO, much less a fledgling, nice genre MMO.

Also, if you've been away for weeks at a time, how can you make the declaration that the game goes down "every weekend"? That seems, at this point, like an uninformed opinion that's based on coincidence, faulty inference, and memories of a time when it would've held true.

excet they have /3/ years expericne with this exact same genre and many ofthe same players, they KNOW what to expect.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nekollx wrote:
    excet they have /3/ years expericne with this exact same genre and many ofthe same players, they KNOW what to expect.

Actually, no they don't. No game is the same, and they can't predict everything that might go wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    nekollx wrote:

Three years of experience with what is, now, outdated hardware. They've got an entirely new setup in-house to run this game, and probably an entirely new staff of maintenance people to handle it.

I very carefully avoided suggesting that prior MMO experience equates to creating a perfect experience in a new MMO in any way... simply because it doesn't. Their experience shows in the speed with which they're making progress in minimizing these issues, and the speed with which they're making progress toward extinguishing them completely. Somehow I think that they expected these issues and chose to place the STO Open Beta launch when they did so that potential outages wouldn't hit at peak times and they could avoid having both games inaccessible on the weekend. This is a very reasonable approach, and definitely demonstrates the application of experience to what is, and will continue to be, a difficult launch process.

Edit: I'd also like a response indicating why your statement that the game goes down "every weekend" isn't pure conjecture, given that you've said that you take prolonged breaks from playing.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Some might like DCUO, SOE most likely will duplicate everything else out there just throwin new skins one it and effects instead of weapons. People who bought CO who are super hero fans might like it better. I personally bought CO because of Cryptic and their willingness to go beyond the standards. CO without restrictions to classes, complete controll of all options available to all, required planning, research, testing and experimentation your weapons/powers using the various outlets they provide in PH. Using powers outside with option to remove last one relatively cheap. If we havent decided to keep the first powers picked untill past lvl 10 - 15, we deserve to pay more.

DCUO will probably be, once you pick you class or character the choices are made for you most all the rest of game. All you have to do is level and pick it up, same as the others with your class. I hope I am wrong. We will see I guess. Only SuperHero I really like Is Hancock. He is not a DC character though. I can copy him in CO can't I? He is not licensed.

My fear is APB will not have the creative license CO does. I can not go back to the rules and restrictions now expriencing the world without. If any game, APB shouldn't have any rules or restrictions at all. GTA doesn't. Wish Cryptic would have done a GTA style mmo or get the
    rights to CarmAgeddon and make an mmo.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shreddi wrote:
    Some might like DCUO, SOE most likely will duplicate everything else out there just throwin new skins one it and effects instead of weapons. People who bought CO who are super hero fans might like it better. I personally bought CO because of Cryptic and their willingness to go beyond the standards. CO without restrictions to classes, complete controll of all options available to all, required planning, research, testing and experimentation your weapons/powers using the various outlets they provide in PH. Using powers outside with option to remove last one relatively cheap. If we havent decided to keep the first powers picked untill past lvl 10 - 15, we deserve to pay more.

DCUO will probably be, once you pick you class or character the choices are made for you most all the rest of game. All you have to do is level and pick it up, same as the others with your class. I hope I am wrong. We will see I guess. Only SuperHero I really like Is Hancock. He is not a DC character though. I can copy him in CO can't I? He is not licensed.

My fear is APB will not have the creative license CO does. I can not go back to the rules and restrictions now expriencing the world without. If any game, APB shouldn't have any rules or restrictions at all. GTA doesn't. Wish Cryptic would have done a GTA style mmo or get the

if you saw it in a game, movie, or comic it's liscenced so yes John Hancokc is liscensed as is G-Girl
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Yesterday when i was young im older then that now...

I have attended a social club retirement group dinner chauffeuring my aging pater hundreds of KM and many re-supply stops for the hobby farm along the way all the while letting my PC D/L a beta of STO for review and testing.. Stormshade came close to working my hours yesterday hope shes ok.. quick check her cubicle and put a cover o n the KB to save drooling [kidding]

I almost expected to check my Client and have it load a bunch of TRibbles up instead of Gnashers...i'm trying to get the patching done with uncorrupted files.. I tried running CO with STO D/L in the backdrop but the lag was so painful I couldn't have fun.. so i was forced back to busy work of firewood and dependant furry farm animals. 19 chicken 1 egg.. I was hopping this thing could pull through a raise some cheer.. So far CO exceeds all sTO performance at a similar stage in the process.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shreddi wrote:

Also want to add that DCUO will be F2P with micro transactions. Meaning you will not have a full support staff most likely from SOE like you do from Cryptic. At that it was already mentioned how SOE seems to destroy any MMO it can get its hands on. Take this into consideration...the team heading up DCUO right now is the same one that helped run SWG into the ground. Then decided not to listen to the player base at all and did things the lead dev's wanted only. That is since they enjoyed playing certain roles. While other things such as any other problem/bug went and was brushed under the rug. So to speak... :)

CO is not as bad as so many say it is. I think many do not or did not have realistic expectations of the game. Instead setting their thoughts way to high.

I do agree though that at least another server should be added. I think the game play servers should be separate yet I find the account based servers being linked to each game very intriguing. Yet they still need, IMO to add a back up account server as well.

Overall the maintenance as gotten a lot better with much shorter down times. I also noticed less down times on the weekends.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    WTH am I paying for sense October is game has been up and down so many times I cant count, DC Universe here I come, I hope they release it soon or I may just be sitting here playing WOW again, yea I said it WOW, either that or hammer my PeePee with a rubber malet,think that would be more fun that waiting for the damm login, account, chat, global & so on server to come back up, what the hell is going on with you guys, we arnt even getting significant information about the status to placate us untill something is done, all we see is emergency that, OMG this, down for just an hour here, and all that other good double talk, I thing someones got a alot of splaining to do LUECY!! :eek:

Sincerly,
    Perturbed!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my excuses is translator.. MS and google have great spell checkers before i hit submit reply and it still comes out funny.. haha not mean..

Tease is not piggy tails in ink wells boyz

so if this were Honda i'd expect Azimo to come out and do a polite bow and wave an apology flag.. and i have seen this so i am happy with their good work and have millions of xp to prove CO works. We know the fine brains of STO will steady the helm and all bells will answer the call to turn the screws and make way.