test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Darkness Build, help please

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited January 2010 in Power Discussion
Hi, I've been playing a Necromancer themed toon (darkness-sorcery mainly) and already hitted 30. However i feel some powers are nearly never used and I'm not sure wheter I have build the character properly... Please find below my planned build as i said i'm lvl 30 atm. Any help or hint would be highly appreciated. Concerning Talents my innate one is Abyssal not th savant; i went for DEX-REC-EGO (talents and equip) and CON-END as superstats,...I'm forced to use builder v. 0.2.0 because 4.1 crashes every time i launch it (even though i have latest java version) does somenon know why this happens?

Thanks!

Build by championBuilder 0.2.0

Download this Build here.

Dead Bride: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 5: Super Endurance
Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
Level 1: Shadow Bolt
Level 1: Shadow Embrace -- Fatal Allure, Rank 2
Level 5: Grasping Shadows -- Unyielding Agony, Rank 2
Level 5: Fire Flight
Level 8: Regeneration -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 11: Drain Life -- Rank 2
Level 14: Shadow Shroud
Level 17: Ebon Rift -- Vengeful Shadows, Rank 2, Accelerated Metabolism
Level 20: Force Shield
Level 23: March Of The Dead -- Rank 2, Forced March
Level 26: Tyrannon's Familiar -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 29: Circle Of Ebon Wrath
Level 32: Spirit Reverberation
Level 35: Resurgence -- Rank 2, Rank 3
Level 35: Teleport
Level 38: Unbreakable -- Rank 2, Better You Than Me

Talents:
Level 1: The Savant
Level 6: Indomitable
Level 9: Agile
Level 12: Tireless
Level 15: Shooter
Level 18: Impresario
Level 21: Worldly
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little and apply your own logic with each power. Remember, we're superheroes. You don't have to be "just a necromancer".

For example my guy, Green Ghoul is a special case necromancer. He's telepathic, but only communicates with the dead. Think Sixth Sense or the Frighteners. Collective Will and Ego Storm (Malevolent Manifestion) are spirits that I have telepathic link with. My Ego Hold is a necroplasmic goo. I think you get the idea.

Just think outside of the box a little and you'll find powers that are a lot more stronger and fun.

You should expand your theme a little before taking suggestions. Obviously the average-joe necromancer theme isn't working for you anyways. I tried the same thing in my lower levels and it didn't work for me neither.

I will give you a little advice. Spirit Reverb and Grasping Shadows are both garbage. Don't even bother. Are you keeping Lifedrain for utility (group heal) or personal survivability? If it's just for you I suggest picking up Chi instead. Chi is easier to use and doesn't get constantly interrupted like LD does. Also, try to pick up Mindful Reinforcement. Force Sheath + MR + Chi + Regen = crazy survivability. Also, the familiar seems more like a warlock's pet. It really isn't necessary anyways. There are far better pets out there anyways.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks for your feedback mate! In fact the character is the reencarnation of a Sorceress Queen who mastered the dark mgic and the life/dead-energies manipulation that's why Life drain is quite in accordance with the concept (and I will go for vampiric simpathy). I've been checking MR and it scales with my Presence (which is just 10) so i'd rather skip it. Frankly speaking I've not having problems of survivability, regen works fine for me and once I get resurgence it will imporve a lot. The main problem is A) Familiar Golem (it deals minimal damage, is slow and as you said it's not very suitable for the chartacter concept)...Which pet would be better? Nightmare? Collective mind? One of the circles (these would not work well with circle of ebon wrath)? B) Damage Buff: atm I got Shadow Srowd and Circle of ebon wrath (which I got mainly to convine with spirit reverberation due to the fear effect). Are these damage buff ers any good ?(actually i hardly notice a difference when using them)... C) extra energy builder... As i said i was planning to go for Spirit rev + C.Ebon wrath...Is this combo good? What about Dark Transfussion? I guess it does not workl porperly with regen... D) Grasping shadows is working pretty well for me... Any suggestion about a better hold?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    joscip wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback mate! In fact the character is the reencarnation of a Sorceress Queen who mastered the dark mgic and the life/dead-energies manipulation that's why Life drain is quite in accordance with the concept (and I will go for vampiric simpathy). I've been checking MR and it scales with my Presence (which is just 10) so i'd rather skip it. Frankly speaking I've not having problems of survivability, regen works fine for me and once I get resurgence it will imporve a lot. The main problem is A) Familiar Golem (it deals minimal damage, is slow and as you said it's not very suitable for the chartacter concept)...Which pet would be better? Nightmare? Collective mind? One of the circles (these would not work well with circle of ebon wrath)? B) Damage Buff: atm I got Shadow Srowd and Circle of ebon wrath (which I got mainly to convine with spirit reverberation due to the fear effect). Are these damage buff ers any good ?(actually i hardly notice a difference when using them)... C) extra energy builder... As i said i was planning to go for Spirit rev + C.Ebon wrath...Is this combo good? What about Dark Transfussion? I guess it does not workl porperly with regen... D) Grasping shadows is working pretty well for me... Any suggestion about a better hold?

Thanks a lot!

If Grasping is working well for you then pick up Collective Will. Collective Will summons an additional pet when someone is held. So CW is pretty nasty with an AoE hold like Grasping. The pets usually hit anywhere from 1200-2k depending on the ego debuff they stack on the target. I've summoned up to 6 pets before. Theme-wise CW pets look like spirits. Well, at least to me they do.

As far as Lifedrain goes it scales with presence too. That's one of the reasons why I suggested Mindful Reinforcement. It's rather easy getting two secondary stats to 100 and two super stats to 200. If presence isn't one of your secondary stats you should consider picking it up.

Dark Transfusion would work as far as boosting your damage goes. However, if you do go with Dark Transfusion picking up Mindful Reinforcement would be a wise decision. You'll have a 20 second healing debuff on you. Mindful Reinforcement combined with Lifedrain will soften the blows until the debuff is gone and regen can tick again.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here I'll make it easy for you:

Drop
    1. Unbreakable
    2. Spirit Reverberation
    3. Tyrannon's Familiar
    4. March of the Dead

Unbreakable really isn't necessary for PvE. I'm guessing you don't bother with PvP. If you did you wouldn't want Grasping Shadows. No need for Spirit Reverberation when you have Force Sheath. We already talked about Tyr's. I know March of the Dead is w/o a doubt the most necro-like ability in the game, but the pets are kind of weak and dumb.

Suggested Replacements
    1. Ego Storm (w/ Malevolent Manifestation)
    2. Mindful Reinforcement (w/ Revitalizing Boost)
    3. Dark Transfusion (w/ Blood Sacrifice)
    4. Collective Will (w/ Consume Will)

Also, Rec/End or Con/End should be your super stats. Pre/Rec or Pre/Con should be your secondary stats.I didn't want to come across as nit-picky but your Fire Flight travel power is too warlock-like as well. A lot of people get warlocks and necromancers mixed up. Easiest way to remember the two is warlocks = demons/hell (fire) and necromancers = dead/netherworld.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Many thanks for your suggestions.
    Finally i changed the toon a bit... Get rid of familar, Circle of ebon wrath and (snif...snif) march of the dead... And got Circle of arcane power (now i do not have any energy issue), collective mind and resurgence. CM works well with the toon concept (Ghost invocation) and it is by far the strongest pet i've tried this far; I love it! I did not took Mindful reinforcemnent due to my low presence... Frankly, taking it would mean to change the whole build stats wise, and i am pretty happy with my ncurrent stats. Next powers should be Ego storm (even though I'm not sure it is suitable with my toon idea) It's maybe too telepathical power, and i'm not sure whether i'll get dark transfusion, of the CHI power you told me or sonic device to buff damage or nanobots to decerase cooldown of dhadow srowd and resurgence (Rift and G Shadows does not have long coolddown)... BTW which power is force seath as i'm unnable to find it!
    By the way, i firstly took flight but switched to fire flight with the x.mas event free recon... It's not exactly fire but the dark purple energy my necromancer manipulates that surround her while she fllies... Anyawy i'd prefer simple flight however is one of my first choices and i cannot afford changing it :(

Thanks a lot mate!
    cya!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    joscip wrote:
    Many thanks for your suggestions.
    Finally i changed the toon a bit... Get rid of familar, Circle of ebon wrath and (snif...snif) march of the dead... And got Circle of arcane power (now i do not have any energy issue), collective mind and resurgence. CM works well with the toon concept (Ghost invocation) and it is by far the strongest pet i've tried this far; I love it! I did not took Mindful reinforcemnent due to my low presence... Frankly, taking it would mean to change the whole build stats wise, and i am pretty happy with my ncurrent stats. Next powers should be Ego storm (even though I'm not sure it is suitable with my toon idea) It's maybe too telepathical power, and i'm not sure whether i'll get dark transfusion, of the CHI power you told me or sonic device to buff damage or nanobots to decerase cooldown of dhadow srowd and resurgence (Rift and G Shadows does not have long coolddown)... BTW which power is force seath as i'm unnable to find it!
    By the way, i firstly took flight but switched to fire flight with the x.mas event free recon... It's not exactly fire but the dark purple energy my necromancer manipulates that surround her while she fllies... Anyawy i'd prefer simple flight however is one of my first choices and i cannot afford changing it :(

Thanks a lot mate!
    cya!

Np.

I still don't see why you need an energy boost. Just tap Force Shield w/ Force Sheath every once in awhile and you're set. You would have been better off keeping CoEW or picking up Dark Transfusion. Dark Transfusion is a damage and energy boost. Also, you can pick up a catalyst item that reduces energy cost w/ ranged damage (Lifedrain & Shadow Embrace included) by 50%.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ...Also, you can pick up a catalyst item that reduces energy cost w/ ranged damage (Lifedrain & Shadow Embrace included) by 50%.

To add some detail, that's an enhancement in the Science Crafting. It's available around level 27/28, minor enhancement so it can be put on an offensive secondary. Actual discount if you slot one is 33% (1/(1+.50)), but that's still a huge boost. And a rare secondary one doesn't use many components.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Aaaah! Ok. I'll try switching circle of arcane power with Dark transfussion or Circle of ebon wrath... Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It looks like neoskylancer provided what you were looking for, but as a side note, when I got bored with my Darkness toon, I switched from Regen to Shadow Form. That livened things up quite a bit. Seraphim also sounds like it would work with Darkness, but that would require a significant bit of retcon (I think CON -> PRE).
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Darkness is pretty much the only tree where you DONT need a def passive. Just grab Shadowform, shadows embrace, and life drain, and trounce everything that you come into contact with.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I switched regen with electric form with my electric blaster before... Nice damage against the average foes but fighting vilains or higher rank foes was a nightmare!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shadow Form actually has a small HoT with it, but not every power description lists it. It's called "Shadow Feast", and I think it heals you when someone nearby has a Fear on them.