test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to make BLOCK a toggle ability

2»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    What are the two $$ used for? I remember in CoH it was used to string two or more binds together.
    edited October 2009
    That is what $$ is used for. What Supreme56 did is kind of an odd way to go about binding the block.

Basically here's what happens:

When you bind multiple commands in a string as one bind, the first command determines how the ENTIRE string of commands gets run. For example:

/bind n "+down1$$target_self$$+PowerTrayExec 8"

Since the first command (in this case down1) has the binary operator + in front of it, the entire command gets run as such, so whatever is in Power Tray slot #8 will run only so long as you hold down N.

Now if you do:

/bind n "target_self$$+down1$$+PowerTrayExec 8"

Then whatever is in Power Tray slot #8 will do a full charge even if you let go of the mouse button, since the first command does not have a binary operator.

Since he put $$ first, the first command is blank and therefor the entire command gets run like in the second example. Which really is no different than just doing the first bind as was posted in this thread:

/bind f "PowerTrayExec 1 16"
    edited October 2009
    I've done a lot of reading concerning alias and binds. Since the ui and targeting interfaces are kind of slugish and tab is problematic at best I've been trying to force target people and my pets with key binds. I have the Command Animals ability from the Supernatural Power Set. Basically I'm attepting to target and then cast Protection Field on one of the wolves with a binding. I was trying to write an alias and then call the alias with a key bind but I realized I don't need to do that. I can just bind the commands in a quoted string to a hotkey since they keybinds seem to persist through client loads and the aliases do not.

This is my bind

/bind x "target wolf $$ powertrayexec 1 5"

Now this targets the wolf sometimes... and then with a second press of the button (it seems they have disabled the continuous execution of the entire command string to make it work more like a CastSequence Macro from WoW) will cast the Protection Field on the wolf.

My problem is. If I happen to have a friendly target selected the bubble goes on it. Sometimes with no target at all the bind selects a nearby friendly player and applies the bubble. It seems the target function of my bind is someway flawed. Any insight would be most appreciated.

Also, while I'm on the topic. I've been cannabalizing binds and syntax for them from ones that other people have written and a lot has come from this thread. I would very much like to get my hands on a tutorial about the syntax of command writing and what each componet does ... I've seen some brief explanations about how $$ seperates commands and that + is a Binary trigger but not real sure what that means in the grand scope of things. I've also seen {} used in some binds but have no idea what that does. Does anyone know if someone has written this down somewhere and I'm missing it?
    edited October 2009
    The whole bind will always execute nearly simultaneously.

The following bind should work, I tested it out to verify (yours actually -should- work also):

/bind x "target wolf $$ +powertrayexec 5"

I tried this with a few spells, although I didn't have Protection Field to try that power out specifically.

As for general information... I'm in the process of typing something up more now, which I'll try to get up shortly and post a link for everyone's general information. Then, hopefully others and myself will keep adding to it, so it's a little easier to learn these things.
    edited October 2009
    Ok, posted it up for now. I have a bit more typed up, but not sure I will get it all up tonight. Started the thread and reserved some spots for things people commonly want to know.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=1245379#post1245379
    edited October 2009
    my carpel/rsi thanks you.. as does the ui designer in my soul who screams in agony at sluggish UI controls.
    edited October 2009
    Okay, I've built a true toggle:

/alias block "PowerTrayExec 1 16 $$ bind shift unblock"
    /alias unblock "PowerTrayExec 0 16 $$ bind shift block"
    /bind shift block
    edited October 2009
    Interesting alternative to bind_load_file to sequence power/command execution. Well done.
    edited October 2009
    Has a flaw that if you get knocked out of block, you'll need to hit shift twice to turn it back on, so it's probably better to not try and make it a toggle. I assume there are no logical operators in bind commands. This is probably true of any possible implementation of a toggle that doesn't use the game's built in toggle method (which, as noted, does not work with block).
    edited October 2009
    /bump for good info
    edited October 2009
    Needs Sticky!
    edited October 2009
    /bumpy for me having trouble finding it... subscribing now
    edited October 2009
    good stuff man, thanks alot for the info :)
    edited March 2010
    Has anyone had trouble using this bind since the VBay release?

Necro out of respect for the original poster.
    edited March 2010
    This is nice & all but I'd prefer they just fix the overall control response & reliability period.

All abilities have bad response time, get easily interrupted, don't reliably complete. This is one of the main problems with the game & should have been fixed within 3 months of release. I'm kinda baffled that this was pushed off. I wish they could just see that the control in this game is simply NOT tight. It works, but it could be SO much better.
    edited March 2010
    Adogg wrote:
    Has anyone had trouble using this bind since the VBay release?

Necro out of respect for the original poster.
    The only time I have issue with the block bind is when too many opponents are swarming me and there is combat lag (normally only happens with Gladiator Swarms in nemcon, though Therakiel's Temple has a few swarms that do it to me too, like the vamp fights just before Drac). None of the groups that do it to me have a known block breaker, so I know that is not the issue. I also do not use the Cancel All bind, I just flick the shift key to do the same.
    edited April 2010
    my power armor attacks won't cancel out my toggle bind any more. it's annoying.
    edited April 2010
    charachu wrote:

It has been that way for a while, yes. There are lots of miscellaneous useful powers that can serve the purpose instead though, of course laser sword, or a lunge to get you in range with laser sword, or sonic device / toxic nanites, and many more.
    edited April 2010
    charachu wrote:
    Did they ever? My experience was that no PA toggle attacks would cancel out shield.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,087 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014
    Rise from the depths of the forums!
    Stickying this because a lot of people don't know about it and it can be a game changer.
  • crideasbanecrideasbane Posts: 14 Arc User
    Great thread. It appears the $$ operator may have been disabled, though? I have tried to use the SHIFT bind to activate the slot containing Reconstruction Circuits and then toggle Block, but it just toggles block. Tried my AO and a click damage ability as well (made sure I had a target for the latter).

Can anyone check if the $$ operator is still working?
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,087 Cryptic Developer
    Just made some binds using $$ the other day and it works fine.​​
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    When doing binds with $$, remember to enclose your bind text in quotes. Otherwise, the $$ gets interpreted before the bind command and you just do two things instead of creating a bind that does two things.​​
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    Since you can't use two powers at exactly the same time, generally you only want to make keybinds for multiple powers under one key when at least one has a cooldown. I would be surprised if there is anything that works well with block in one bind, and if there is it is going to be something without an activation time.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    Ah, good point. Block may just be cancelling the bind. You can continue with reconstructive circuits when blocking (which is possibly a bug), but block has priority and cancels other activations, so if reconstructive circuits haven't finished activating they won't go off.​​
  • wellen#1972 wellen Posts: 2 New User
    Informative thread thanks for sharing.
  • abaddon#5073 abaddon Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    What is the command to use items? The ones that you need to press ctrl+another key?
    Post edited by abaddon#5073 on
  • gynomightgynomight Posts: 93 Arc User
    Why not make this an official option in the game as a 0 cost advantage? I would love to see this for all 'block' powers. :)
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    Because making Power advantages, is just easier to make new Powers than putting advantages of Powers.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!