test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is driving me crazy...

cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
edited May 2015 in Builds and Roles
Hello, i've been trying to put up a Superman-like build for some time and realized i have no idea of what i want from it, i spent many globals retconning my toon over and over till my patience ran out and left him catching dust on my selection screen, so today i thought i might ask for opinions so i may get a more concrete idea on what to do with him :confused:

After playing a while with my Robot tank, i thought of making my flying strongman a Melee DPS to make it a bit different, i'd like to use one of the following moves as the main attack, but have trouble deciding between them: Demolish, Haymaker or Dragon Uppercut

Of these three attacks, which is the easiest to build around for sustained DPS?

My current idea is going STR / dex / con with Way of the Warrior and Form of the Tiger and just spam DU, but i dont know if Rush buff is enough to fuel it without other energy aide, or even if i really want to use DU (i like the other moves animation too much) :frown:
SIGNATURE.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Demolish is better for its debuff, since as a staple attack its quite expensive to spam (and doesn't knock if ur using Enrage).

DU is solid overall, if ya dun mind going MA over Might. If ur using an MA toggle for Rush instead of Enrage then ya should be gtg on energy overall, even w/ light (or no) EU support.. though that will kinda depend on the rest of the build (harder to afford heavy Conviction use w/o an EU backing, for ex).

Haymaker is the best dps of all of them (when charged on knock immune targets, ofc), but affording it can be trickier. Kinda depends on what sort of passives, toggle, and/or other things ya can insert into the build that affect energy.

DU and Haymaker have quite different feels to them, so it may come down to what seems more fitting or satisfying to you.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks flowcyto and gradii for the advice and the example build, but i think i'm going to try with DU - Here's a prototype build (Btw i have imaginary weapons unlocked :biggrin: )

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Kryptonian-Fu

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Unleashed
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Impresario
    Level 12: Relentless
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Mighty Leap
    Level 6: Cleave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3) - I picked it for the mini dodge buff mostly, might change it if needed
    Level 11: Form of the Tiger
    Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 17: Demolish (Below the Belt) - Since it's used more for the debuff than damage itself, i had the idea to alternate between this and DU: one softens the target while the other gives energy and deals damage, haven't tested this yet so idk if Rush can power them both or needs some extra help
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Brimstone (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32:
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
    SIGNATURE.
    edited May 2015
    Looks pretty good thus far, though I'm not sure Cleave is adding much if ur already using Brimstone w/ FotTiger for AoE (unless its for early levels).

Rush w/ decent Dex should do ya fine for energy, though if ya want a small boost there ya can still stick in MSA to proc from BCR and the lunge (even at 10 Int its decent for a bit more energy). That'll also be nice for lunge + Brimstone spam in AoE, assuming ya dun wanna take time out to charge a DU then.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited May 2015
    Thanks for answering, Cleave is there only cuz i couldn't think of any move at that level that match the theme and honestly i dont like Might combos, any suggestions about what to pick for that slot are welcome
    SIGNATURE.
    edited May 2015
    I've been taking my time to detail my build, but apparently there's very little to add at its current state, so here's it again with minor changes

Name: Kryptonian-Fu 02

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Unleashed
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Impresario
    Level 12: Relentless
    Level 15: Quick Recovery
    Level 18: Amazing Stamina
    Level 21: Negotiator

Powers:
    Level 1: Mighty Leap
    Level 6: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3) - Took this for theme and tier requirements, still not convinced but i can't think of something else for this slot
    Level 8: Way of the Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Form of the Tiger
    Level 14: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 17: Demolish (Below the Belt)
    Level 20: Dragon Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Brimstone (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Masterful Dodge
    Level 29: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3) - Filler: more healing is always welcome
    Level 35: Unbreakable - Filler again
    Level 38: - Oooh blankspace: maybe another AO or something... i could take Unleashed rage but it looks too "HULK SMASH" (and therefore out of character) to me; Brimstone gets a free pass because it looks like a relatively more "tactic" attack a superstrong hero would use than an earth-shaking tantrum. Or do as flowcyto said and take MSA despite no Int SS or gearing...

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    SIGNATURE.
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    cheelangho wrote: »
    Level 6: Retaliation (Rank 2, Rank 3) - Took this for theme and tier requirements, still not convinced but i can't think of something else for this slot

If you're not a fan of Retaliation, you could retcon into Vicious Strikes -> Way of the Warrior -> Form of the Tiger to satisfy the early-tier requirements.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you're not a fan of Retaliation, you could retcon into Vicious Strikes -> Way of the Warrior -> Form of the Tiger to satisfy the early-tier requirements.
    Or you could go with Unstoppable instead of WotW. You don't have another energy unlock and your main attack is a knock, so you'll get appreciably better performance out of it, and you don't have enough dodge buffs for the bonus from WotW to make a big difference.

Or you could take defensive combo, a stack of defiant is nice to have.
    edited May 2015
    Thanks again everyone for the advice, just a couple questions: I remember reading somewhere that Unstoppable energy return scaled from Recovery, is it true? or i'm misinformed?, If the only source of Dodge/Avoidance becomes Masterful Dodge, What is the best choice: Rank 3 BCR or Rank 2 BCR+Advantage?
    SIGNATURE.
    edited May 2015
    Yea, Unstoppable's knock energy scales w/ Rec.

In terms of MD w/ BCR- it kinda depends on what ya want from BCR (and if ya dun mind the dmg penalty, since otherwise Conviction is usually better w/ low dodge but decent crit%). If its to be a more regular heal, then normal ranks are good for setups that normally have low dodge. If ya want BCR to be a more of burst healing cd, then RR does work well for that when paired w/ MD.
    edited May 2015
    Alright then, if i were to use Unstoppable what would be more efficient: swap one of my current SS (STR-Dex-Con) for recovery or simply get all the Rec i need from talents/mods?
    SIGNATURE.
    edited May 2015
    cheelangho wrote: »
    Alright then, if i were to use Unstoppable what would be more efficient: swap one of my current SS (STR-Dex-Con) for recovery or simply get all the Rec i need from talents/mods?
    I'd first go w/ talents and maybe one Rec mod or 2ndary gear w/ Rec on it, and see if ur energy situation is good that way w/ the gear that you want or have (testing in the PH or on the PTS before you finalize changes, ofc).

I dun think you'd have much energy issues as is w/ Rush, Physical Peak, FotTiger, and some cost discount on utility gear, but it is worth checking on.
    edited May 2015
    Thanks a lot for the advice, i guess i'll have to level the guy and test at the Powerhouse, i can't use PTS because i'm silver :biggrin:
    SIGNATURE.
  • azukai1337azukai1337 Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Here's Nova's build. Durable, Powerful, hits like a friggin asteroid.

Reccomended to retcon into this build at level 23-30.'

Runs melee dps role.

Name: Nova

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Quick Recovery
    Level 9: Boundless Reserves
    Level 12: Amazing Stamina
    Level 15: Bodybuilder
    Level 18: Physical Conditioning
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 6: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Uppercut
    Level 11: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 14: Enrage
    Level 17: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Fault Line (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
    Level 29: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)

Very nice build, I might steal it as a base for my next dodge tank, though I'd choose defiant instead for defense and add Endorphin Rush on Enrage.