test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rampage Boss Suggestion

rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Suggestions Box
Thought of a Rampage Boss that shifts randomly into different states of Elemental Manipulations, would have said passive (Like Gravitar's Gravity manipulation) and uses said powers that work similar to players but more powerful while some powers would trigger Area wide damage/debuffs while maintaining mechanic, for example, Fire Manipulation state, Rampage Boss targets player with Highest Aggro, uses Conflagration, very High Fire Damage (talking about several thousands worth of damage per pulse) upon them, tracks and has enough range that you cannot escape it, while it's in a Maintain the arena suffers Fire Rain, which does less damage then the one getting fire concentrated on, but applies Clinging Flames Stacks multiple times, I could explain more if anyone is interested in hearing what I have to say.
Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
Post edited by rtma on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What would players be doing during this fight other than standing in place, tanking/dpsing/healing?
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What would players be doing during this fight other than standing in place, tanking/dpsing/healing?

Well, I wouldn't expect much to be done, for the most part it would work like Gravitar but certain powers and such you'd have to look out for, Certain Summons, Spike attacks, debuff's associated with Elemental Manipulation, crowd control, Fire, random fire strikes + Escalating Damage buff, Charged up Fire ball = massage damage + Accelerent debuff to recieve more damage from Clinging flames, thoughts on the fireball attack would not only spike hugely in a 25ft radius but a heatwave even further to 25-50ft incapacitating anyone in range, Random Fire Breath attacks with escalating damage, 25ft Pyre Patch for Melee'ers, chance to knock down on release, random 50ft Flash fire Patches on ranged targets, snares them, I mentioned Conflagration, Firesnake on Aggroer, Stacks debuff, all attacks can cause Clinging Flames, being in Melee range would hurt you just like Fiery Form, but more damage & resistance to Fire Damage, That's the Idea of Fire. (Overall Large DPS, especially over Time)

Darkness Manipulation would use Dark powers obviously, tho it would debuff players with fear, cause Psychotic break and occasionally stun then with every attack, Dark Blast, Dark Embrace(AoE, Knock to/down), Dark Ruin(Debuff with Trauma & Lowers Dimensional Resistance) Dark Rift spawns 5 rifts, 1 on each ranged player (Outside of 25ft range, works just like Ebon Rift), Grasping Darkness causes a Arena Wide (Everyone, but blockable) powerful Paralysis(Moderate Dimensional DoT), Dark Life Drain (only Heals the 1/3 Hp Boss is on, targets highest Aggro) Spawn Darklings. (Basically 6 or so Shadows attack random players), Dark Fracture (Spawns arena wide random Debuffs and moderate Dimentional DoT while active, Darkens arena, lasts for about 15's), Dark Field (rampage boss surrounds them-self with Dark Aura similar to that you find in Therakial's temple Light/Dark Statues, tries to lunge into nearby players to energize them, another would cause players to get knocked away with very high spiking damage while field is active, dissipates after some time)

Lightning Manipulation could apply the Negative Ions debuff with every attack, causing said powers to increase in damage and can arc to nearby players, Chain Lightning, Lightning Arc, GigaBolt (Huge Spike)would work just like a players would but much higher damage, Lightning storm is targeted on Highest Aggro, causes escalating Electric damage, can stun/knock down the target, follows like Conflagration, causes Arena wide Storm that causes lightning strikes on ranged players mostly while Lightning Storm is maintained, the area grows dark with storm clouds over head, moderately high Electric Damage, Ball lightning will target random ranged players, Spark Detonation would work like Gravitar's Force Detonation but Electrical, anyone within 50ft while get Paralyzed and a nasty spike in Electrical damage, while causing brief electrifying of the Arena, causing everyone to lower their Electric resistence debuff, moderate damage.

Ice Manipulation, Chance to apply chill with every attack, uses Ice Blast(Very high spike, especially on Chilled target, like hard frost), Frost Breath and Shatter (Attempts to Strike Chilled Targets or/& Ice Caged one, causing higher Spiking damage, absorbs chill, main follow up from Frost Breath) chance to be locked in a ice Cage from attackers(powerful Root), Snowstorm, targeted on (& Follows) highest Aggro player, causes high Cold damage overtime, causes Arena wide whiteout (Visually a Snow Storm), wipes threat with maintain, causes moderate cold damage to everyone else + Chill, and Avalanche, targets Aggro magnet, follows, causes escalating cold damage, while maintained causes arena wide Razor Hail, Causes high cold damage and a chance to stack bleed/chill, all ice powers has a partial defense penetration.

Earth Manipulation, randomly targeted stone shot, causes Stagger/Aoe crushing damage, followed up usually with Tremor/Fault Line to spike, knocks and stacks(Tremor)/Absorbs Stagger(Faultline) during Spike, Tremor and Fault Line causes random Fissures to appear under ranged players, causing Fire/Crushing damage over time, chance to knock down, Cave In targets Aggro Magnet for very High spike but also targets everyone else around the arena to a Moderate smash as well, causes Stun, Quicksand is Arena wide snare that causes players to get repeled towards boss while getting hit with moderate crushing damage (Like Gravitar's Gravity well), can stack Stagger, Finally Earth Quake, Animation of Havoc Stomp which does knock back Melee'ers but it causes the Arena to shake,(possible Nttg) Initial slam causes high sonic damage then knock's down everyone, spawns a Fissure under rampage Boss.

The Boss would Shift ever 1 - 2 mins. How's that so far?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Having a new boss with unusual powers is a great idea, but I want more mechanics involved.

I mean, Cybermind can be an annoying fight, but paying attention is required.

I'd like a Rampage where there is a team of supervillains, and said supervillains actually have travel powers, like flight and superspeed. Supervillains that can actually pursue heroes would be wonderful.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited February 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Sounds fun, but I think the boss should shift unexpectedly on occasion as well, however there should be a tell shortly beforehand so players paying attention will know what to expect.

I mean that's why gravitar is good in the first place, everyone is forced to PAY ATTENTION, unlike fire and ice where it's a snorefest for everyone but the tank in a good team.

I'm glad you like it, and yes unexpected shifts would work as well, perhaps each state would have a certain Aura/Costume to go with their Manipulation for easy reference? or a visual icon of a Elemental Symbol appearing before changing.
    Having a new boss with unusual powers is a great idea, but I want more mechanics involved.

I mean, Cybermind can be an annoying fight, but paying attention is required.

I'd like a Rampage where there is a team of supervillains, and said supervillains actually have travel powers, like flight and superspeed. Supervillains that can actually pursue heroes would be wonderful.

I'm quiet liking the idea on the final 1/3 HP the rampage boss could split into the 5 separate Forms (Super Villain Tough rank), each using their powers but watered down (Damage wise) compared to being joined, Fire and Darkness can fly about, Earth and Ice can walk about while Electric runs around with super speed, attacking from different angles, different players, until one by one they're defeated, then silence...either you win or fail.

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Bake pies?
    Run around, arms flailing?
    RPing?
    ERPing?
    Emoting?
    Modding?
    What else would we be doing?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The last time I checked, during fights you are supposed to deal damage, tank if neccessary, heal, CC if neccessary, avoid danger zones if possible, and interact with anything that you are supposed to interact with if there is something to interact with. And its quite possible to do all that while standing still most of the time. You don't need to be moving 100% of the time.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    soulforger wrote: »
    The last time I checked, during fights you are supposed to deal damage, tank if neccessary, heal, CC if neccessary, avoid danger zones if possible, and interact with anything that you are supposed to interact with if there is something to interact with. And its quite possible to do all that while standing still most of the time. You don't need to be moving 100% of the time.

A boss fight with more danger zones would be great--meaningful ones, not like in F&I.

A Rampage with more things to interact with would be great. Sky Command made an attempt, which isn't bad, but the rest of that encounter isn't so great (reward/time balance especially).

Plenty of other things could make their way into a Rampage:

1. Defend or destroy objects
    2. Rescue civilians
    3. Solve a simple puzzle or enter a code
    4. Timed survival

These sorts of things could be going on in addition to fighting a boss.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited February 2015
    The way you keep throwing random around makes me think of Gravitar's Force Cascades...

You'll have to excuse me for not having read that wall of text very thoroughly, your chosen text color basically makes it a gamble for me to read what you type for too long at the risk of damaging my eyes.

Could you, instead of just throwing out a block of everything mashed together, make separate lists of mechanics that will require specific reactions?

For example, one list of things that will require players to move. Another that will require them to block. If there are other reactions, makes lists for those.

It seems like you might have thought this out well, but it's kind of coming out as "ALL THE THINGS".
    edited February 2015

Nobody said that you should be moving 100% of the time. Nobody said that fights shouldn't involve tanking/dpsing/healing. Who are you responding to? Did you knee jerk without thinking?
    edited February 2015
    Nobody said that you should be moving 100% of the time. Nobody said that fights shouldn't involve tanking/dpsing/healing. Who are you responding to? Did you knee jerk without thinking?

Did you not read the post(s) above mine? He asked what else are you supposed to be doing during boss fights. I was just listing what there was that I knew of. So obviously it is you that knee jerked without thinking.
    edited February 2015
    Did you not read the post(s) above mine? He asked what else are you supposed to be doing during boss fights. I was just listing what there was that I knew of. So obviously it is you that knee jerked without thinking.

Ah, you were taking Finn seriously despite the fact that he was talking about baking pies. I am convinced of your claim.
    edited February 2015
    Assessing the situation, and the tools at your disposal, and reacting as needed.

this does not exclude the trinity roles, but seriously people need to learn to expand their minds beyond the 20 year old mechanics of yesteryear and learn to play games which make you THINK.

In other words, Boss mechanics trump "roles" and make intelligent play and skill a more important factor, while "roles" are still useful within the framework.

Here's a (crude) scenario for you.

Bob the Big Baddy: GET THOSE HEROES! USE THE ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT!

*Missiles and lasers begin raining down on our heroes, with telegraphed danger spots projected very shortly before impact*

90s MMO Hero DPS: WHERES THE TANK?

90s MMO Hero Tank: Trying to aggro the boss but he wont stop teleporting, this is so cheap!

Bob the Big Baddy: FOOLISH HEROES! I'M NOT TELEPORTING!

90's MMO Healer: Yes you ar- *gets blown up while typing the message - too slow*

90's MMO Tank: CRAP the healer's gone!

90's MMO DPS: Wheres Bob now?

*Bob has been hiding behind a building this whole time operating a hologram projector*

90's MMO Tank: NOOOO!

*The remaining heroes are squashed in the orbital attacks, while worrying too much about the healer, they stopped moving*

This is not even close to true. While it is true that some boss fights in other MMOs are just tank and spank, the opposite is also try, typically the boss fights have danger zones and thinking and skill involved. Your version of the trinity is not even accurate.
    edited February 2015
    Assessing the situation, and the tools at your disposal, and reacting as needed.

Thanks for all your general theories and philosophies, but none of what you said actually answered my question. I was asking for something concrete from the guy with the actual idea, since he could actually tell me what specifically players would be doing during his idea for an encounter.

The uh... what do I call it... after school special on raiding was.. neat.
    edited February 2015
    I'm trying to take your all of text and turn it into a more cohesive list of the powers and how players might have to react to them. This is what I have so far.

Thoughts so far: I've only done two forms, and I can already hear players crying for this fight to be nerfed into the ground. I like it personally, but some people around here seem to think I'm a masochist :rolleyes:. This fight seems like it would be the kind that would require healers, especially if you have any melee during fire form. Not sure how squishies would fair, that depends on your approval of the various methods that players have to avoid all the stuff being thrown at them.

Fire Form

Targeted attacks, traditional:
    random fire strikes - random damage, individual survival test & healer test
    Firesnake - on tank, tank survival test/healer test, makes debuff removers useful?

AOE Attacks:
    fire ball - large aoe, debuff, visual que on target, everybody run away, target doomed if squishy?
    random fire breath - escalating damage, melee scatter away from target
    Pyre Patch - knockdown, visual que, melee run away and stay away
    Flash Fire Patches - snares, only on ranged, ranged players move
    Conflagration - ranged maintain, ground que for location, players move
    Fiery Form - constant damage to all melee, individual survival test & healer test

Darkness Form

Targeted Attacks:
    Dark Blast
    Dark Ruin - Resistance debuff, healing debuff, player blocks
    Dark Life Drain - heals boss while damaging target, target blocks or out-ranges?

Aoe Attacks:
    Dark Embrace - cone aoe, knock down/to, players block
    Dark Fracture - random debuffs on all players, players block to avoid?
    Dark Field - pbaoe that applies debuff, second contact causes high damage and knock back, players block?

Crowd Control:
    Psychotic Break - All attacks can cause random stun, individual survival test & healer test
    Dark Rifts - centered aoe on 5 ranged players, player moves away
    Grasping Darkness - paralyzes everyone, players block

Summons:
    Spawn Darklings - creates shadow npcs, players aoe them down
    edited February 2015
    I'm trying to take your all of text and turn it into a more cohesive list of the powers and how players might have to react to them. This is what I have so far.

Thoughts so far: I've only done two forms, and I can already hear players crying for this fight to be nerfed into the ground. I like it personally, but some people around here seem to think I'm a masochist :rolleyes:. This fight seems like it would be the kind that would require healers, especially if you have any melee during fire form. Not sure how squishies would fair, that depends on your approval of the various methods that players have to avoid all the stuff being thrown at them.

Fire Form

Targeted attacks, traditional:
    random fire strikes - random damage, individual survival test & healer test
    Firesnake - on tank, tank survival test/healer test, makes debuff removers useful?

AOE Attacks:
    fire ball - large aoe, debuff, visual que on target, everybody run away, target doomed if squishy?
    random fire breath - escalating damage, melee scatter away from target
    Pyre Patch - knockdown, visual que, melee run away and stay away
    Flash Fire Patches - snares, only on ranged, ranged players move
    Conflagration - ranged maintain, ground que for location, players move
    Fiery Form - constant damage to all melee, individual survival test & healer test

Darkness Form

Targeted Attacks:
    Dark Blast
    Dark Ruin - Resistance debuff, healing debuff, player blocks
    Dark Life Drain - heals boss while damaging target, target blocks or out-ranges?

Aoe Attacks:
    Dark Embrace - cone aoe, knock down/to, players block
    Dark Fracture - random debuffs on all players, players block to avoid?
    Dark Field - pbaoe that applies debuff, second contact causes high damage and knock back, players block?

Crowd Control:
    Psychotic Break - All attacks can cause random stun, individual survival test & healer test
    Dark Rifts - centered aoe on 5 ranged players, player moves away
    Grasping Darkness - paralyzes everyone, players block

Summons:
    Spawn Darklings - creates shadow npcs, players aoe them down

Ha Haaa. *Claps* Yes, This Break down I can work with and just for you I'll drop the Personalized Colour Theme while typing this up. ^.-.^

Lemme Clarify on a few details on mentioned above then moving on to other 3 forms, just so we're clear Conflagration(25ft AoE/Visual Que/If Melee, move?) will follow the one holding aggro(Tank) so blocking would be helpful, the Arena wide AoE Fire Rain will cause moderate DoT + stack multiple Clinging Flames while Conflagration is maintained, so Block would be best option, Damage would be pretty severe without adequate defense, so Tank/healer test? nastier if hit with Firesnake Debuff as well, all fire attacks can stack Clinging Flames.

For Dark Life Drain, similar to above, Block + Heals would be best.
    Dark Embrace, Blocking will help reduce damage and help resist the knocks.
    Dark field move will lunge in a straight line, typically at the tank, should be indicated by visual que to move out of the way or get knocked, block won't help, much.
    Dark Fracture will be arena wide DoT Dimensional Damage and varies debuffs, Blocking would reduce damage but not debuffs,
    All Dark Attacks have a chance to apply Fear (Reduces your Damage) to anyone and refresh it, making them suspetable to Psychotic Break causing Moderate Dimentional DoT & would periodically stun them.

Lightning Form/Manipulation

Targeted Attacks/Traditional: Chain Lightning - Chains nearby targets if ionized, Moderate Damage, basic Attack. (Survive/Heal/Spread out)
    Lightning Arc - Maintain, damage increases if target is ionized. (Survive/Heal/Block)

AoE Attacks: GigaBolt - Huge Spike Damage Cylinder, Charge up, Targeted at Tank, Displays effect Que. (Tank Survive Test/Healer Test/Block/Target Doomed if squishy,Scatter)
    Lightning Storm - Displays target Que/AoE on ground under target, Deals Very High Damage, Follows Target, Maintain, targets tank, chance to knock down/chain. (tank Survival test/healer test/If Melee, Move) Causes Arena wide lightning strikes on ranged players, Moderately high damage. (Survival/heal/block)
    Spark Detonation - AoE Visual Que, Charge up, 25ft PBAoE, Very High Spike, causes Paralysis(Melee Scatter from target, Survival test/healer test) Arena Wide Debuff, Lowers Electric Resistence short time, Moderate Electric damage outside of attack range.

Summons: Ball Lightning, Releases frequently, chases after random targets, Can be targeted and destroyed, dies after 10s?.

All lightning Attacks can apply Negative Ions, making players more suspectable to chain attacks and higher damage.

Ice Manipulation/Form

Targeted Attacks: Ice Blast - Higher damage to Chilled targets

AoE Attacks: Ice Breath - Cone AoE Maintain, Applies multiple Chill stacks, Player Prepare to block/Move/heal/survive.
    Ice Smash (Basically Shatter) - AoE Tap, Spikes High damage, even higher the more chill stacks player is affected by, attempts to smash players affected by Ice Cage for additional Cold Damage, Absorbs chill once Smashed. (Survival/Healer Test/Block)
    Snow Storm - Targets Tank, Que AoE Target visual, 25ft attack that follows, causing constant High Cold Damage. (Survival/healer test/Move away from Melee players) Causes Arena wide whiteout, Que Snow Storm Visuals, Threat Wipes everyone while maintained, receive moderate Cold damage outside of Targeted tank, can cause Random Ice Cages(Powerful Root). (Survive/Block, since boss will most likely use Ice Smash on nearby chilled targets)
    Avalanche - Targets Tank, Que AoE Visual on the ground&Target, 25ft AoE, follows Target, Escalating Cold Damage, can knock target down from falling ice. (Survive/Healer Test/Block/move away if Melee players around) Arena Wide Effect, Que Razor Hail visuals, causes High Cold/Slashing Damage to everyone that's not targeted, chance to Chill/Bleed multiple times. (Survive/Healer test/Block)

Crowd Control: Random Ice Cage caused by passive, can't really be anticipated, low chance of any attack will lock you in one, Break free/Damage, Beware of Ice Smash, Block.
    Ice Prison - Just like Frosticus move but in the form of 'Wall of Ice Power' that chases some random ranged player, periodically released. (Get Team mate to free you, Possible to make it timed so running away long enough is viable?)

Ice Attacks have a chance to apply chill and has partial defense penetration.

Last but not least Earth Manipulation.

Targeted Attacks: Stone Shot - 15ft AoE Crushing damage, Applies Stagger.
    Cave in - Targets Tank for Huge Spiking damage, Charged. (Tank/Healer Test/Block) Causes Arena wide targeting to everyone else, causing High Damage + Stun. (Good Idea to Block this one)

AoE Attacks: Tremor - Charged, High Spike, AoE Knock, Applies Stagger Stack to anyone affected (Block will help, Heals, Survive)
    Fault line - Charged, High Spike, Cylinder Knocks, Spikes Higher the more Stagger stacks you have, absorbs it in the process. (Block will help, Survive/Heals/Scatter to reduce multiple strikes in the Cylinder) Both attacks spawn a Fissure under a ranged player, good idea to move.
    Earth Quake - 10ft PBAoE Charged move (Works just like havoc Stomp), Knocks Melee's away, causes Arena wide High Sonic damage(NTTG), knocking everyone else down, spawns Fissure under Boss. (Melee Move back during charge animation, block to reduce damage and knock down)
    QuickSand - Powerful Arena wide Repel/snare to Boss, moderate Crushing damage during, Que Quicksand Graphic on ground during.
    Onslaught - Melee Combo, 10ft, 120º Cone, Deals with Melee obviously, moderate-High crushing damage, applies stagger, can knock down. (Survive/Heal)

All Earth attacks cause Stagger, Earth Manipulation affects players with Snare like a players Earth form does, reducing speed at variable distance from boss.

Hope I got everything, hope this breakdown helps.

edited February 2015
    Having it listed like that makes it a lot more clear what's going on.

One thing I'm thinking is the fight might work better if it always starts on the same "form", and then proceeds through all the forms in the same order each time, but not based on time; instead, have him change forms every 20% of his health, and have his health be tuned to make it somewhere between a 10 to 15 minute fight.

THEN have the reward structure be similar to Forum Malvanum, where even just making it through the first form and then wiping gets people a reward, with each additional phase netting a better reward. I say this because each form is essentially it's own complete fight as far as what players will have to figure out and memorize. The increasing reward would be more questionite, and higher chance of dropping whatever it drops (did somebody mention making this boss able to drop any of the current four rampage tokens?)

You could even have a final round (This isn't even my final form!) start after his health hits 0%, at which point he splits into 5 separate bosses like someone mentioned earlier, each with 10% of the original life bar.
    edited February 2015
    Having it listed like that makes it a lot more clear what's going on.

One thing I'm thinking is the fight might work better if it always starts on the same "form", and then proceeds through all the forms in the same order each time, but not based on time; instead, have him change forms every 20% of his health, and have his health be tuned to make it somewhere between a 10 to 15 minute fight.

THEN have the reward structure be similar to Forum Malvanum, where even just making it through the first form and then wiping gets people a reward, with each additional phase netting a better reward. I say this because each form is essentially it's own complete fight as far as what players will have to figure out and memorize. The increasing reward would be more questionite, and higher chance of dropping whatever it drops (did somebody mention making this boss able to drop any of the current four rampage tokens?)

You could even have a final round (This isn't even my final form!) start after his health hits 0%, at which point he splits into 5 separate bosses like someone mentioned earlier, each with 10% of the original life bar.

Sounds interesting, as for Rewards, could have a small chance on earning upto all 4 types of tokens progressing each phase and to be decided drops, maybe something different like large G reward or recognition tokens/High Level mods etc, should be nice, tho the Phases should randomize still and check mark each one til you manage to do all 5 then final split to finish them off,

I was also thinking about appearances people would familiarize with the different incarnations of Elements, Fire would look like a Dragon, Ice could be along the lines of a Ice Beast, Lightning can be humanoid, Earth could be a muscular Golem and Darkness a Demonic entity, cliche I know but easy reference.

• tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is awesome. I wish this forum had rep enabled, or a thumbs up/down system for posts, or even a like button. /signed /signed /signed

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!