test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Primus Database is down again?

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I've not been able to access it...and I've heard other people aren't able to access the website either...

Anyone else tried/know what is going on?
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It ran into data limits. I believe Bob is transfering servers to get around this.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It ran into data limits. I believe Bob is transfering servers to get around this.

Oh I see, thank you! :smile:
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I hate data caps comcast has one on our wifi, my baby brother uses 7 gigs a day they shutoff his internet, but the damage was already done.

;/ my stepdads also tried stoping us from gaming entirly, after banning streaming, voice chat, music video etc.

Fast internet has no point, when you are given a data cap.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    7 gigs a day? wtf, is he hosting a torrent site?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    7 gigs a day? wtf, is he hosting a torrent site?
    Actually, some of the Torrent programs like to do just that. They act as a 2-way download enabler. :/
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was monitoring the 'official' thread elsewhere in the forums and not looking around for ones here.

Okay, so, what happened was that the plan the PDB was in only allowed for a core database file of 1GB. The PDB has exceeded that already.

So, right now, it's sorta in a holding pattern as it's being moved to a full time server instead of a virtual one (or something of the sort) and it won't have that core database limit anymore.

It should've been done by now...except Thanksgiving hit. *sighs*

It should all be done on Monday. At that point it should be back as soon as its new IP address gets around to all the ISPs (which is anywhere from near instant to 48 hours).

The only downside to all the above is that the cost for hosting goes up. How much exactly, I still don't know, but I just have been told that it will be. That said, the PDB isn't going anywhere. I love it just as much as everyone else does.

Sorry for the delay, everyone. I wish it hasn't been down as long as it has been too.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    I was monitoring the 'official' thread elsewhere in the forums and not looking around for ones here.

Okay, so, what happened was that the plan the PDB was in only allowed for a core database file of 1GB. The PDB has exceeded that already.

So, right now, it's sorta in a holding pattern as it's being moved to a full time server instead of a virtual one (or something of the sort) and it won't have that core database limit anymore.

It should've been done by now...except Thanksgiving hit. *sighs*

It should all be done on Monday. At that point it should be back as soon as its new IP address gets around to all the ISPs (which is anywhere from near instant to 48 hours).

The only downside to all the above is that the cost for hosting goes up. How much exactly, I still don't know, but I just have been told that it will be. That said, the PDB isn't going anywhere. I love it just as much as everyone else does.

Sorry for the delay, everyone. I wish it hasn't been down as long as it has been too.

On the plus side, means I have had a few days without having to delete spam accounts and pages created by someone running a script somewhere.
    edited November 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    On the plus side, means I have had a few days without having to delete spam accounts and pages created by someone running a script somewhere.

Yeah, I need to work on that once it comes back up.
    edited December 2014
    Okay, so, the site has finished moving over to its bigger and better (and hopefully from here on our permanent without any further problems) and should appear in the next 24-48 hours or so depending on how fast your ISP updates their DNS entries.

Only one downside - somewhere between the old host getting upset for using too much database space and the actual move, some stuff was lost. Basically a snapshot of the database file was grabbed and moved over. Problem is I do not know when exactly that snapshot was taken.

Current guess is that a week or so of updates just went poof into the void.

Nothing ever goes as smoothly as it should, and I'm sorry to report the above. But with the no warning I got when the site came down in November, it was apparently the best that could've been done.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    somebob wrote: »
    Okay, so, the site has finished moving over to its bigger and better (and hopefully from here on our permanent without any further problems) and should appear in the next 24-48 hours or so depending on how fast your ISP updates their DNS entries.

Only one downside - somewhere between the old host getting upset for using too much database space and the actual move, some stuff was lost. Basically a snapshot of the database file was grabbed and moved over. Problem is I do not know when exactly that snapshot was taken.

Current guess is that a week or so of updates just went poof into the void.

Nothing ever goes as smoothly as it should, and I'm sorry to report the above. But with the no warning I got when the site came down in November, it was apparently the best that could've been done.

Looks to be at least a month old snapshot. My last contribution is shown as 26th October.