test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Now we're close enough to lick it, and see what it's really made of.

zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
I'm an American and I know that many Americans don't really care about this.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30026398

Mainly because NASA put the first man on the moon (and 23 others) But I, personally, have always gotten excited about any new moves humans make towards space travel. I'm also always just a little bit disappointed at how slowly our progress has been.

A huge fan of Star Trek, since the original aired, I was certain we would have visited Mars by now, even with all of the various challenges we would have to over come.

On the other hand, it's hard not to be impressed when you learn that Opportunity rover, which was only meant to last 200 day has been chugging alone for ten years.

Oh and if you love pics from space, check out the HubbleSite. It has some of the coolest wallpapers and vids.

Here is one of my favs.

hs-2003-11-a-640_wallpaper.jpg

MOMMY! TELL SPACE TO STOP STARING AT ME!
ZedBlock-200.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    'Murrican or no, how can anyone not be excited about the first probe to actually harpoon a comet?

Bite me, Ahab! You and your puny whales! We stuck a celestial object! :cool:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    'Murrican or no, how can anyone not be excited about the first probe to actually harpoon a comet?

Bite me, Ahab! You and your puny whales! We stuck a celestial object! :cool:

Hey, I'm right there with you, buddy, but some people think that every dime spent on space is a complete waste of their tax dollars. And they don't want to hear how without a space program, there'd be no cell phones or an internet or etc. Yup. Landing to a comet can even make our computers and MMOs better.

btw - Are you sure we did not harpoon a whale?
    -
    EmpireSpaceSlug.jpg

Maybe George got one right. :eek:

The Whale Shot First! :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And now let's all excitedly stare at pictures of dirt and then immediately open up a press conference where people ask why billions were spent on this. Legit excuse: Ten years ago we had no idea how bad things were going to get back here on Earth.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ten years ago, things were a lot worse than they are now. And not one dime (or whatever the Euro equivalent is) spent on this led to a child going hungry or a school closing.

And what we're looking at isn't just "dirt" - it's a piece of the primordial Solar System, formed when Earth was still just an accreting cluster of rocks and dust. It's what we're all made of; its cousins provided Earth with water, billions of years ago. (And may one day provide us with water again, should we ever need it that badly.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2014
    Fine, it's old dirt. You can put on your Star Trek costume for a few minutes over it.

Also, if things were even worse ten years ago, then they have even more to answer for. Hell, maybe the great celestial dirt finding mission is what screwed everything up.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Fine, it's old dirt. You can put on your Star Trek costume for a few minutes over it.

Also, if things were even worse ten years ago, then they have even more to answer for. Hell, maybe the great celestial dirt finding mission is what screwed everything up.

More likely it's K.K. bottom.

The gravity of that thing may be pulling everything in the solar system off it's orbits. I mean, if she can break the internet, then she might be responsible for breaking Rosetta.

But seriously, the whole process of building the probe only added to technology most of us use everyday.

Here are some things the original Apollo Program gave us or led to shortly after.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/world-of-tech/10-tech-breakthroughs-to-thank-the-space-race-for-617847

btw - This only scratches the surface of tech the space program(s) have given us.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Check it out guys, I burned down your house but hey you can stand next to the smoldering wreckage and get warm?