test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Extra Life CO Stream, 10/25 @ 10am PDT

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited May 2015 in Super News Network
It’s a privilege to say that Perfect World Entertainment is taking part in this year's ExtraLife Gaming Charity Event benefiting the Children's Hospital Network. On October 25th, we’ll be livestreaming Champions Online and other games to help raise money for hospitals to research childhood diseases, pay for children’s medical bills, and purchase equipment.

We’ve set up a donation page here, and we hope you’ll consider helping us support this great cause. I'm going to be streaming Champions from 10am until noon, Pacific time, on 10/25. The total goal (for both 10/25 and 11/1) is $10,000, but I've got a hunch we can beat that.

Donation Page

On a personal level, Extra Life has a little more meaning to me this year. A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with heart problems that may keep her from having children of her own, and my cousin is about to bring his son home for the first time, born a month early but healthy and happy because of modern medical technology.

Things like that make you start thinking about what kind of world you want to be your legacy, and I’m going to be donating at least $100 to Extra Life. We’re the opening act for the marathon, running from 10am PDT until noon. There’s something poetic about kicking this all off with superheroes, and I hope you’ll join me and the rest of the team in making a better world, one child at a time.

--

Superheroes deserve thank-you rewards, so we’re happy to support Extra Life by giving donators some nice perks. If you make a donation to our donation page, make sure to note your @handle and that you want Champions rewards, and we’ll work on getting you the rewards below a few days after the livestream. (Comments like that with your donation are private, only we will see them.)

(Note: You can donate any amount, you aren't restricted to the tiers below.)

We’ve lined up some exclusive rewards for this, like the never-before-seen Defender Grav Bike, plus prints of the Steel Crusade splash art. If you’re a huge fan of costume pieces and vehicles, we’re also making available all of the Timewarp Lockbox top prizes.

Donation tiers:
$50: “Hospital Hero” custom title on the forums.
$100: Above + the Iris Irregular and LordGar and Meatiator action figures. We’ll also make a print of the Steel Crusade splash art, signed by the artist, and ship it to you. (US addresses only, unfortunately.)
$500: Above + all the costume pieces and vehicles from the Timewarp Lockbox.
$1337: Above + the Defender Grav Bike, a brand-new vehicle.

We’ll also do giveaways after the stream for everyone who helped us support Extra Life, in recognition of all the good that we accomplished. Everyone who donated for CO during the stream will be entered in the giveaway. We’ll be giving away three each of the Iris Irregular, LordGar and Meatiator AFs if we hit 50% of our goal, four each if we hit 75%, and five each if we hit 100%. (If you already have one, you can give it to a friend.)

Donation Page

tfavsb10 wrote: »
So... How do we get our things for donating? just leave our handle?

Yep. Leave your handle in the comment portion of your donation, we'll handle the rest -- we may reach out to you if necessary for more info.

rick309 wrote: »
I was initially interested in donating for this event but the tiers are pretty pricey for any individual I know, myself included.
:frown:

Definitely understandable, man. If you're still interested in supporting, consider sharing the stream with your friends. The more eyes we get, the more kids we can help.

eiledon wrote: »
P.S Hoping the Meatiator AF is the third one Necra, Meeda, Myself and the rest of the Costume Design contest are due to get. Yay for AFs ;D

Yep! Took longer than expected to get done, but *should* be done by/shortly after the stream.

serpinecoh wrote: »
Shame it isn't an in-game title as well. That could be fun on all sorts of character concepts. :) ...[snip]... And while there is no way I'd be able to shake enough money out for the top donation tier, what *does* the bike look like anyway?

I just had a weird question pop up: Neverwinter is also offering donation rewards for this. If a person was hoping to get some material for both games would a single donation qualify simultaneously for both games (i.e. just $100 gets the $100 reward from both), or would you have to make a larger total donation and specify how you were splitting it (i.e. request $100 of $150 be applied to CO and $50 applied to NW), or would you have to set it up as two separate donations altogether to keep things "clean"?

I'd recommend the latter, but you could a single donation. It's not disallowed, it's just that it'll be harder for us to keep track of it if you're requesting two things in one donation.

As for in-game title... Maybe we can convince LordGar to add that to the $100 tier? :biggrin:

Defender's Grav Bike:
98942b7b3d8736f46ee3028db4777a8a1413939489.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • rick309rick309 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was initially interested in donating for this event but the tiers are pretty pricey for any individual I know, myself included.
  • akaara1akaara1 Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Darn it, I work on Saturdays, I might make it to the last 1/2 hour of the event. bummer, if only I knew a couple weeks ago I could have gotten time off.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is certainly a worthy cause! I'll do my best to get in a donation, and I hope to be able to watch the stream before work that day. I did have one question though, for reaching a tier, do you also get the ones below it as well?
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    This is certainly a worthy cause! I'll do my best to get in a donation, and I hope to be able to watch the stream before work that day. I did have one question though, for reaching a tier, do you also get the ones below it as well?

Donation tiers:
    $100: Above + the Iris Irregular and LordGar and Meatiator action figures. We’ll also make a print of the Steel Crusade splash art, signed by the artist, and ship it to you. (US addresses only, unfortunately.)
    $500: Above + all the costume pieces and vehicles from the Timewarp Lockbox.
    $1337: Above + the Defender Grav Bike, a brand-new vehicle.

See Bold bunni :D easy to miss. i did first time i looked

P.S Hoping the Meatiator AF is the third one Necra, Meeda, Myself and the rest of the Costume Design contest are due to get. Yay for AFs ;D
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I might be able to do one of them.... Unfortunately not the $1k one, that better be a 100slot vehicle.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I might be able to do one of them.... Unfortunately not the $1k one, that better be a 100slot vehicle.

for 1K i would expect it to be a fully functional real life grav bike - maybe not full scale, but GI Joe sizes maybe ;D
  • amyjiaamyjia Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Oh wow this seems neat. I will try to be there and hopefully some Hero Games can be played, especially Zombie Apocalypse which would be very appropriate given the event going on. :redface:
    edited October 2014
    for 1K i would expect it to be a fully functional real life grav bike - maybe not full scale, but GI Joe sizes maybe ;D

I was gonna say it should shoot nerf bullets, but I think that is too soon! Heh

But seriously...a nerf gun battery powered vehicle, i'd pay 1k for that. "They see me Rollin ...l
  • notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    screw the grav bike, for $1337 i'd want a custom made power
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's called giving money to charity... not spend over a grand for a grav bike.

If all you're looking at is the rewards you're kind of missing the point.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I appreciate what you're doing here, although I can't quite afford to donate myself. Hope to see the goals met.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • melphyxmelphyx Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i think this evvent is a great. I feel glad for.
    Thanks you Perfect World for this humble event.
    edited October 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    It's called giving money to charity... not spend over a grand for a grav bike.

If all you're looking at is the rewards you're kind of missing the point.

true, true, the rewards are just the cherry on top, but i'm just saying the amounts to pop em are a little steep, to the point where most people wouldn't be able to get em easily, but it'll give what I can.....(@#%! bills)

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's nice to see CO joining forces with charities. It brings nice memories back.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Shame it isn't an in-game title as well. That could be fun on all sorts of character concepts. :)

In any case I do really want to help out so I'll have to see if I can swing something on this.

And while there is no way I'd be able to shake enough money out for the top donation tier, what *does* the bike look like anyway?

I just had a weird question pop up: Neverwinter is also offering donation rewards for this. If a person was hoping to get some material for both games would a single donation qualify simultaneously for both games (i.e. just $100 gets the $100 reward from both), or would you have to make a larger total donation and specify how you were splitting it (i.e. request $100 of $150 be applied to CO and $50 applied to NW), or would you have to set it up as two separate donations altogether to keep things "clean"?
  • dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I may not be able to make it because of time zone confusion (will have conformation when I get home), but expect to see a $50 donation from me.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
    edited October 2014
    notyuu wrote: »
    true, true, the rewards are just the cherry on top, but i'm just saying the amounts to pop em are a little steep, to the point where most people wouldn't be able to get em easily, but it'll give what I can.....(@#%! bills)

wanna go halfies?

I keep the bike and you say you own it?? ehhh ehhh? good deal right?
    edited October 2014

What I deal! notyuu should totally go for it. :)
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2014
    tfavsb10 wrote: »

Yep. Leave your handle in the comment portion of your donation, we'll handle the rest -- we may reach out to you if necessary for more info.

rick309 wrote: »

Definitely understandable, man. If you're still interested in supporting, consider sharing the stream with your friends. The more eyes we get, the more kids we can help.

Yep! Took longer than expected to get done, but *should* be done by/shortly after the stream.

serpinecoh wrote: »
    Shame it isn't an in-game title as well. That could be fun on all sorts of character concepts. :) ...[snip]... And while there is no way I'd be able to shake enough money out for the top donation tier, what *does* the bike look like anyway?

I'd recommend the latter, but you could a single donation. It's not disallowed, it's just that it'll be harder for us to keep track of it if you're requesting two things in one donation.

As for in-game title... Maybe we can convince LordGar to add that to the $100 tier? :biggrin:

Also relevant:
    98942b7b3d8736f46ee3028db4777a8a1413939489.png
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I hope we all do remember that this donation is to help people and not for the rewards...

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited October 2014
    I hope we all do remember that this donation is to help people and not for the rewards...

Of course. And I would never consider dropping $50-100 for a title or virtual pet. It is all about an opportunity to do some good... and to later go "Hey where did that action figure come from?" :)

And really even if somebody feels a need to drop $1337 for the opportunity to show off a special bike recolor, they are still helping people regardless of the reason, and that is a good thing.
  • circleofpsi#4619 circleofpsi Posts: 2,913 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought the grav-bike was going to look something like this, a simple reskin. but the cash to give away seems so steep for me. Sure the $500: Above + all the costume pieces and vehicles from the Timewarp Lockbox. looks nice but how much will $500 be in pounds, this seems a silly price.

But Im glad you posted the grav-bike.

Edit: £310.39 GBP seems alot just to get everything from the lockbox. is there no way to short the prices down TT? Because most of us don't have that type of cash,sure it will be great to have very item from the lockbox, due to a friend of mine duos want the shark-set. but still anyways we can short the pricing down because this is just silly.
    Psi.
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited October 2014
    It might help to mention in the original post that any amount of money can be donated, even if it doesn't reach the tier requirements. I've already met multiple people in-game who were considering donating a little bit of money (less than $50), but read the first post and assumed that $50 was the minimum donation.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    cryneting wrote: »
    I thought the grav-bike was going to look something like this, a simple reskin. but the cash to give away seems so steep for me. Sure the $500: Above + all the costume pieces and vehicles from the Timewarp Lockbox. looks nice but how much will $500 be in pounds, this seems a silly price.

But Im glad you posted the grav-bike.

Edit: £310.39 GBP seems alot just to get everything from the lockbox. is there no way to short the prices down TT? Because most of us don't have that type of cash,sure it will be great to have very item from the lockbox, due to a friend of mine duos want the shark-set. but still anyways we can short the pricing down because this is just silly.

I don't think you get it. This isn't about what goodies you can get. This is about donating to a cause.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    amyjia wrote: »
    Oh wow this seems neat. I will try to be there and hopefully some Hero Games can be played, especially Zombie Apocalypse which would be very appropriate given the event going on. :redface:

If your asking the devs to acknowledge hero games even exisits, please refer to Rule #1 & #2 of fight club....
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Okay guys it's time to save the World.
    edited October 2014
    wanna go halfies?

Oh har har, well it's kinda late to go halfies, already given what i could (yay being broke -_-") also i think it'd make more scene if we got half the bike each, i get the guns, you get the engines....if i could afford it.

edited October 2014
    Maybe we can convince LordGar to add that to the $100 tier? :biggrin:

That would indeed be nifty if it happened. :)

The donation total is over $4k now. Marching towards the 50% point...
    edited October 2014
    Trying to figure out which tier...one tier I don't have to ask the wife but that other tier...be a great addition for when I bring back What's in the Box!!?? Seeing how I own all the pieces.
    edited October 2014
    had a lot of updated threads but i wanted to give this a bump
  • nailyou666nailyou666 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nailyou
    And I play Blacklight: Retribution. :D
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have no money to donate, but at least I got to make TT laugh during the livestream, so there's that. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I might have considered donating if the rewards and goal tiers looked like these.

But Champions players aren't treated as good as STO or NWO players.
    edited October 2014
    I might have considered donating if the rewards and goal tiers looked like these.

But Champions players aren't treated as good as STO or NWO players.

Because that is clearly what is important here.
    edited October 2014
    You clearly missed MY point. I've donated directly around PWE. I'm not letting them get any credit for what I donate.

If PWE doesn't want to recognize us as an equal community to their other gaming communities, why should anyone participate through them? If anyone wants to donate, donate around them.
    edited October 2014
    Note: The following is just a value lookover since I was curious after crypticbuxom's statement and these sorts of things amuse me. I made my donation days ago based on what I could afford without paying to much attention to the relative swag levels. :)
    If PWE doesn't want to recognize us as an equal community to their other gaming communities, why should anyone participate through them?

Up to $100 I didn't really find the NW tiers that valuable, relatively:

* $15 In game title and electronic wallpaper.
    * $25 NW Rebel Merc - Typical quality/type companion that was formerly a free reward for signing into Destructoid.
    * $50 Pale/Stormrider Horse - Minimum speed mounts from some magazine promotions.
    * $100 Feywild Starter Pack - 4 bind on character items available for $20 any time.

Note: I don't know if they will allow re-gifting of the $25/$50 rewards if you already have them (they were account wide when previously given as promotions). If not that could be a problem.

So $100 through NW gets you a title, e-wallpaper, repurposed promotions, and commonly available pack. $100 assigned to CO gets a title (forum anyway), a physical signed print (this I really like), and some in game action figures that are somewhat difficult to get (usually have to win some big contest or have a friend that did).

So personal value wise, particularly since I already have just about every promotion / pack for NW, I would rate the $100 tiers for the two games as comparable. At higher tiers though, I'll admit NW did seem a better value.

At $500 I'd feel conceptually the Timewarp contents as about equal to Hero of the North, but then NW gets a hoody and mouse added. I don't really follow why CO wouldn't have access to the same two physical items as they aren't game branded and its all money routed through PWE. If avoiding physical items was required, maybe throwing something virtual for CO with a little shock value (like the Cursed AT and parts and/or the Earth parts with the built in crumble) would have been a nice addition: Play to the hungers of the audience and all.

And then at $1337 it is 5 more NW packs vs a single vehicle repaint. I think a fair addition at that top tier for CO would have been to also (along with the Defender bike) include the vehicles/auras/costumes from *all* the other legacy lockboxes currently dropping.

-

As a final bit of commentary outside the value thing, I could have donated *around* PWE if I was concerned about these differences (which I really wasn't even though I feel a strong connection to both CO and NW). But the basic matter is I would likely not have even been aware of this charity if not for this promotion, so at the very least I think it was fair to do it through them to acknowledge them as bringing this worthy cause to my attention. Also skipping them over to make a point would have gotten me nothing, and sent the incorrect message that I am not interested in them supporting these sorts of causes in the future.
    edited October 2014
    You should revalue those based on face value than your own personal value.
    edited October 2014
    You should revalue those based on face value than your own personal value.

What is the face value of an in-game title? Forum title? A pair of previous promotional codes for low stat pets/mounts? An e-wallpaper? A signed physical print of Mechanon art? Action figures normally given as contest rewards? The random amount of keys it would take to successfully get all the contents of that lockbox (or the activities to gather funds to buy the components individually via the auction)? The value of an Arc logo being on a hoody rather then some other logo? An in-game vehicle not otherwise available?

The face value of things you can't normally buy is pretty much a personal judgement.
    edited October 2014
    A vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle is a vehicle. Oh and a permanent companion/sidekick. And rewards for everyone in game if a certain goal is met including rewards boosts and content in the form of devices.

Champions players being included is always an afterthought in EVERY promotion and charity drive under PWE's umbrella.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You know, at first I was going to ignore Crypticbuxoms ranting, but then I noticed something utterly distressing and annoying.

Why is it that the Neverwinter twitter account is active and attempting to grow with various contests and free titles and so on, as seen here;
    https://twitter.com/NeverwinterGame,

While the Champions Online twitter has been effectively forgotten since, oh... June 28th, 2012? As seen here;
    https://twitter.com/champsonline.

I mean, come on. Two and a half years of fallow twitter? That's just three months after On Alert hit live. Did someone flat lose the Twitter account details?

edited October 2014
    iamrune wrote: »
    I mean, come on. Two and a half years of fallow twitter? That's just three months after On Alert hit live. Did someone flat lose the Twitter account details?

Real heroes don't Tweet...we Instagram.

It would be funny if they made Defender a twitter account.

Defender@ #penetrating other side
    Defender@ #penetrating other side#Witchcraft
    Defender@ #penetrating other side#Medical Clinic
    Defender@ #penetrating other side#Harmon's hemorrhoids Cream
    Dr. Destroyer@Defender Why is it so hard to defeat this moron!!??
    Defender@Destroyer because I #penetrating other side #Like a BOSS
    edited October 2014
    While I don't disagree that there's a lower value attached with the CO perks than the STO and NW perks, I do have to disagree that CO players were included as an afterthought. While I wasn't part of the planning committee for this -- this was a Community team project, and I'm in the Product Management team -- CO was part of the schedule from the beginning, and Champs was the first game to have a list of prizes we'd use. I built that prize list from what I had available and what could be easily handed out.

As for the Twitter account, uh, that's not our account. Twitter isn't my first priority, so it isn't too active, but we're @championsffa.
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,430 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hey TT,

Just out of curiosity, whatever happened to that new CM who popped in for about a week and then disappeared?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited October 2014
    Trendy or Dwight? They focused on blog generation, they weren't all-in-one CMs like I used to be. Both of them did blogs for a goodly while.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Real heroes don't Tweet...we Instagram.

It would be funny if they made Defender a twitter account.

Defender@ #penetrating other side#Witchcraft
    Defender@ #penetrating other side#Medical Clinic
    Defender@ #penetrating other side#Harmon's hemorrhoids Cream
    Dr. Destroyer@Defender Why is it so hard to defeat this moron!!??
    Defender@Destroyer because I #penetrating other side #Like a BOSS

Oh, there already are Twitter accounts for a bunch of signature NPCs. They haven't been touched in five years, but they're there:

@DefenderDude (And yes, it's every bit as "Defender is typing a message..." as you'd expect)
    @RockerGirlBlue (Which lets me ding the Fatal Err0r writers for continuity errors. No text speak!)
    @TheWitchster (In which we learn that Foxbat was once very confused about Sapphire's sexuality)
    @DrSilverback (Meh)
    @DrogenLar (A refreshing lack of Caps Lock)
    @FreneticKinetik (Total lack of personality, much like in-game)
    @Foxbatastic (Exactly what it says on the tin)
    @Silver_Avenger (Filler, much like in-game)
    @DrDestroyer (Apparently a placeholder because it was never used)
    @GrondSmash (GROND NOT TWEET BECAUSE SWYPE NOT ON IPHONE IN 2009 GROND CURSE HUGE THUMBS)
    @Mind_Slayer (Called Foxbat "Foxtard" once, but not much else)
    @QueenStingray (Who the hell is Stingray? Is she part of some Lemurian mission arc I've never played, because Lemuria? Whoever she is, she appears to be a placeholder like Dr. Destroyer)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As for the Twitter account, uh, that's not our account. Twitter isn't my first priority, so it isn't too active, but we're @championsffa.

So, what is that other account?

I'm pretty sure it WAS the official Champions Online twitter feed before FFA transition occured, note that the current twitter name is ChampionsFFA which means it didn't even exist before the transition, and the game went live in Sept. 2009. I was subscribed to the other twitter feed long before there was a Free For All transition.

Was it changed as part of the shedding of Atari? New account made for FFA and PWE integration?

Just honestly curious, but I am glad to see there is a current active social media line. Not that I'm much for that stuff, myself.

[EDIT] My own double checking supports that his now abandoned twitter account was indeed nce the official Champions Online twitter feed. It's post are official and started on the 28th of July, 2009, during the beta, pre-launch, and went to the 28th of June 2012 post about Energy Slide being added to the C store, a few months after FFA launched.

The current account @ChampionsFFA began on March 23rd, 2012, and goes right on up til now. The overlap is a bit odd, but they didn't cover all the same subjects.. the new one didn't have a post about the C store addition, for example.

And as I mentioned above, before FFA came along, the now-abandoned feed is the only one we had.
    edited October 2014
    Fascinating. I honestly have no idea, that account could've been the old official one -- it's using the old CG style of art for the icon though, which suggests it was set up around the original launch. Huh, I got nothin'.