test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP Robin

megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Off Topic
We lost a great man today. A wonderful actor that made everyone laugh.. Rest in peace Robin Willems you will be missed.
Post edited by megaskullmon on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yea. Just saw the news.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wow, suicide apparently.

Shame, he was amazing.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Depression is a cruel and horrible thing, and it sounds like he'd been in deep these last few weeks. Godspeed, you mad genius.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm at a loss for words there. Such a brilliant man.

O Captain! My Captain!
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1271712-batman_dead_robin.jpg
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Depression is a cruel and horrible thing, and it sounds like he'd been in deep these last few weeks. Godspeed, you mad genius.

No kidding.

Very, very sad day....
  • fookilafookila Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It's a very sad for this day, but he will be missed indeed.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Best memories of him during my childhood would have to be his portrayal of Genie in Disney's Aladdin, his hilarious cross-dressing in Mrs. Doubtfire, Jumanji...there's definitely more I'm missing out and need to go watch again.

His wife said in a press release that she hopes that the focus would be less on his death but more on the joy and laughter that he has brought to the world during his living years; the happy memories of the person. That's the best way to remember any cherished person who has passed on.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    10540831_10204524979511380_810352617714250114_n.jpg
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We'll never have another friend like him.
  • zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bangarang mr willaims.
    edited August 2014
    Beginning to wonder how he hasn't been banned yet.

As much as I might have beef with one or 2 other posters here, at least they post productive things from time to time. Also, if you can't get behind Death to Smoochy, we have absolutely no chance of ever being friends.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014

To be honest, seeing as how this is a superhero-oriented forum, when I saw this thread title I so thought that the Boy Wonder had died in the comics - again. Or that Burt Ward had.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Somehow I think Williams would have appreciated this of Robin for Robin.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited August 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Nanu nanu.
    Shaz-bot.
    -
    Shazbot-001.jpg
    -
    If it were not for Robin's made up word, this robot hero would not exist. 'Course, had I had more skill with the CC, I would have found something closer to this and named IT Shaz-bot. :redface:
    -
    image12.jpg
    -
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd like to share two performances of Robin Williams that have always and will always stick in my mind.

First: The movie Dead Poets Society. When I was in middle school I was part of a club called "Future Problem Sovlers". We qualified for the state competition one year. During downtime at the competition, they showed movies for all the students and Dead Poets Society was the one I remember. It's a movie that's always stuck with me.

Second: A number of years ago (late 90s, I think), while flipping through channels I stopped on Comedy Central and they aired an old broadcast of Robin Williams at the Roxy from 1978 (obligatory youtube link). It's an absolutely BRILLIANT performance. Part way through it, he realizes he forgot to bring a bunch of his props. He keeps going with some of the funniest and most profound stuff I have ever seen.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited August 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    I'd like to share two performances of Robin Williams that have always and will always stick in my mind.

First: The movie Dead Poets Society. When I was in middle school I was part of a club called "Future Problem Sovlers". We qualified for the state competition one year. During downtime at the competition, they showed movies for all the students and Dead Poets Society was the one I remember. It's a movie that's always stuck with me.

Second: A number of years ago (late 90s, I think), while flipping through channels I stopped on Comedy Central and they aired an old broadcast of Robin Williams at the Roxy from 1978 (obligatory youtube link). It's an absolutely BRILLIANT performance. Part way through it, he realizes he forgot to bring a bunch of his props. He keeps going with some of the funniest and most profound stuff I have ever seen.

Gee. It's hard to believe that it was earlier this year that a pivotal scene from DPS was used in an I-Pad commercial. I got me to re-watch the movie.

As for the '78 Stand-up Special, saw the original broadcast on TV. Loved it so much, asked for it on an LP for my next birthday. The following Christmas party, playing that record was the main moment of entertainment.

Yup. Between Mork & Mindy, and all of his movies, RW was a big part of the entertainment in my life. He will be missed.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    10540831_10204524979511380_810352617714250114_n.jpg
    You're free, Genie.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You're free, Genie.

If you're going to try to plagerize someone else's work, please don't choose the potentially harmful stuff (and especially not the stuff already seen by almost 70 million people):

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/498996314395246593

These are the types of comments that we could do with less of. He's only "free" because he killed himself. By no means should suicide ever be looked upon as an acceptable option in depression or any other mental illness. These folks are already vulnerable enough as it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/
    edited August 2014
    It's not plagiarism, it's a direct quote off of the movie. Not everyone uses twitter, etc... I know I don't.

It's quite a stretch to see that as advocating suicide, and I'm not sure telling people how to talk is the correct answer either. It's kinda getting annoying, we've got people on 50 different sides of this telling everyone not to say suicide is selfish, or the "correct" way to speak about this. Truth is, I'm not sure there IS a correct way to talk about suicide. My major in school was treating dual diagnosis mental health/addiction cases, and the way I've always seen it? You can't treat suicide as an elephant in the room. Like it or not, it *is* an option, and ignoring that fact doesn't help anyone. Instead, the focus should be on the reasons why it's a bad idea, even if it is a choice people can make. The pain it causes for the people you leave behind, and the opportunities at future happiness that you miss. But, I'm one of the rare people who trained in the field that legitimately believes suicide IS a selfish act. You take your pain and you distribute it to absolutely everyone else who cared about you, and you no longer have to feel it. That's pretty much the definition of selfishness, and after a few attempts of my own over the years because of PTSD issues? The thing that keeps me from ever trying it again is that I understand how insanely self-centered it is.

The dialogue around suicide in this country is VERY flawed, and the biggest problem I can see right now is how we're supposed to talk around the idea with kid gloves. For the dialogue to actually progress somewhere useful, we're gonna need to be blunt about it.

Personally, I see the "You're free" quotes to be avoiding this topic entirely, and focusing on his life rather than his method of death. His family requested we do that, I for one see no issue with it.

Just my 2c tho.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm rather tired of people getting all up in arms about the suicide part of his death... it is horrible that he felt that was his only way out, but to me it doesn't justify people fighting bitterly over it. Regardless of your stance, I think it's better to celebrate his life, and the moments that touched you personally, and to send positive hope for those he did leave behind that they will one day not feel the pain that they do right now.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    While I do have a Twitter account, I don't obsessively follow every single other person capable of typing 140 characters in a row. The only one I was plagiarizing was the screenwriter of the movie.

And regardless of whether you approve of suicide as an escape route (for the record, I don't; I've been working to keep my wife from taking that road for seventeen years now), Robin is now undeniably free from the pain brought on by his depression.

As for your opinion of me personally - well, see my new sig.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited August 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    If you're going to try to plagerize someone else's work, please don't choose the potentially harmful stuff (and especially not the stuff already seen by almost 70 million people):

https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/498996314395246593

These are the types of comments that we could do with less of. He's only "free" because he killed himself. By no means should suicide ever be looked upon as an acceptable option in depression or any other mental illness. These folks are already vulnerable enough as it is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/08/12/suicide-contagion-and-social-media-the-dangers-of-sharing-genie-youre-free/

1. Learn to differentiate between quoting a line from a movie and what actual plagiarism is. Using a quote from a movie or other popular medium isn't plagiarism. That's just asinine.

2. I don't see any indication in the post to link that quote to the subject of suicide. That's you reading too much into a simple "goodbye" post.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    As for your opinion of me personally - well, see my new sig.

You and Gradii have something in common now o3o

Is this thread suitably derailed for me to mention that? u3u
    edited August 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You and Gradii have something in common now o3o

Is this thread suitably derailed for me to mention that? u3u

The thread was on topic up until your post.

Troll harder.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    *LOLWUT!?* *Raaaaaaaageeeeee!!!*

How sadly we're living in the age where it's so trendly to feel offended over everything... :rolleyes:

And that's why political corectness forced everywhere and on everyone always ends badly.