test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does Champions Online have a future?

tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
Yes, I know, it's like another one of those threads where someone is just out to bag the game.

But in my case, I am genuinely concerned.

I am a Star Trek Online player and when I compare what happens in that game to this one, it's looks like CO is standing still while STO is 10 kilometers down the road and still running fast.

These are the issues I have:

1. No Mac compatible launcher.
From what I understand, making a Cider launcher is really easy for Devs.
And this would open up a new target audience amongst Mac specific gameplayers, since the market for Mac games is quite limited!
And Steam does exist for Mac, so releasing it on that platform is really easy once the initial Cider Launcher is deployed.

Also, my PC died and cannot be fixed, so if they want to keep me playing (and paying money!), then they need to meet this requirement.

2. Lack of new content.
I don't really see anything changing at all.
They rotate in new lockboxes, new costume options and that is about it.
No new powers/framesets, no level cap rise, no new story missions, no new maps to explore.

I'm really not convinced a game that doesn't keep adding major updates can survive competively in the market.
There eventually has to reach a point when players realize this and just jump ship to another game.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    Yes, I know, it's like another one of those threads

Yep.

mlfw4514-5282.131416733118.gif
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    just jump ship to another game

Too bad there isn't another game to jump to.

For me,
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.comicvine.com%2Fuploads%2Foriginal%2F12%2F129581%2F3666136-5719310562-13266.jpg&t=542&c=wu6DwH-Zmvs_RQ
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am a Star Trek Online player and when I compare what happens in that game to this one, it's looks like CO is standing still while STO is 10 kilometers down the road and still running fast.

STO is getting a pointless level cap increase and obsoleting ships people paid money for in the next expansion. I like CO and liked STO because there weren't treadmills and they were (CO more than STO) alt friendly.

You can call it moving forward but at the moment I've lost the will to do much more in STO than log in, punch a few buttons for pointlessly slow crafting research, punch a few buttons to use the stockpile of rep marks built up during events, and do some doffing, just 'cause. There's no reason to invest time or money now with the expansion reset coming up.

CO's got some new stuff in the works. I'm more interested in that than what will come in STO and I was liking STO.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Recently there's been people saying that there's new content coming, but it's all second, third, maybe even fourth hand.

I'll be excited/interested when you know, Cryptic actually says something about it.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • morigosamorigosa Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    STO is getting a level cap increase? Dang, glad I'm not playing that game. Really hope we never see that in CO; what we need is more variety in usable content, not less.

Especially needed: more variety in low to mid level content, and ways to run that content again at high level and get acceptable rewards from it. Not good - don't want to make the dedicated farmers want to compete with actual low level characters - but enough to make it feel like you're not wasting your time.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The CM has alluded to something happening but is not allowed to spill the beans. So chances are, something is being made but it may or may not live up to anyone's expectation. Not a fan of rumors myself, so I'm not going to waste time speculating or thinking much on it.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Mac support: Unfortunately, CO is on the oldest version of Cryptic Engine not cancelled by NCSoft. Folks who have flipped the "Show all games" flag in STO's launcher and tried CO have reported that it's not very stable when running in that Cider wrapper. Given that we've been hearing for years that "tech issues" are the reason for a thousand thousand good ideas being shot down, I doubt any Mac compatibility problems in CO's engine will be fixed.

I haven't tried it myself, because I have a Boot Camp partition for stuff that absolutely, positively Must Run on Windows that I occasionally need on my laptop. Maybe I should reinstall STO on my OS X partition and give it a shot. If nothing else, STO's space scenes are breathtaking slideshows on a Retina display. :wink:

Parallels might be an option, too, since CO Cryptic Engine is DX9. (CO DX11 support is in Eternal Beta.)

Content updates: We keep hearing rumbles about something big coming Soon. Whether it's actually big or not, or at least justifies this long lockbox-only drought, remains to be seen. Until then, we wait, and we hope that the reason they haven't even teased anything besides "big" and "Soon" is because the money could run out at any moment.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As I said to another post I'm pretty convinced that CN are currently working on NeverWinters next update and getting it ready for xbox one also if cryptic may be working on some new money making game then most likely they'll be working on that instead of keeping up content in CO.

But yeah seriously we haven't seen much evidence of anything really being a priority other than the odd costume now and again which most likely a dev made in a few hours - a day. Cryptic North have more than 1 person working there so I'm pretty sure they are working on something else at this current time. That or they are working on CO in super secret to release one massive update that changes the game into something super amazing and incrediw0w!

chihayafuru_2-08-tsukuba-kanade-chihaya-taichi-nishida-wow-surprise-karuta-tournament-comedy.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Parallels. I can't imagine we have a huge mac population, and there are more than enough ways to get windows programs running in OSX. You know why windows people always pick on mac users for not having games? Because y'all pigeonholed yourselves into an OS that not a lot of people use, and developing launchers and such, while easy, costs money that they probably won't recoup from the 10 or so people that would actually play from that platform. On a quick google and mixing data from different sites, I gather mac has between 7-10% of a market share. If we're light on resources, like everyone seems to think, what's the sense in developing for a platform less than 10% of the population uses?

Harsh truth, but there it is. You made the choice to use an obscure OS. It's not their fault, tons of games get no development for mac. You had to know the risk going in, everyone knows about the state of mac gaming.

I'd love it if we got new content. But, let's be honest here: We've been hearing doom threads since literally the first week of going live. We're still here. I'd hardly say it's as dire as all that. This is free-to-play. If players jump ship, more people are always gonna pop up and give it a shot. It's not like there's an overabundance of free to play superhero mmos that give you full access to 100% of the playable content. PWE also doesn't like shuttering a game as long as it's making any sort of a profit whatsoever.

The only thing doomsaying does is convince potential players who are reading the forums that the game's in worse shape than it actually is, and that it's not worth picking up and giving a try. Us older players might be jaded, but you could play this game as a new player for months and months at a time without repeating much content.

Also, if we get a level cap increase just for the sake of it? I'm out. It'd need to be to fix the gear power creep we've seen over the last few years (doubtful, this seems intended), or to launch a higher tier of powers or something. The problem is, we already have VERY limited endgame. A level cap increase removes what endame we do have, and it's literally taken us 4 years to even get this much. My 2c, it'd be WAY better to start alternate leveling progression (which, imo, is what they shoulda done with spec trees), and put in a lot more endgame.

Plus, you wanna tell all those people who farmed for months for justice gear that it's now useless and they get to regrind? Endgame gear here is even more grindy and impossible than endgame WoW gear.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Things are in the works. How big they'll be is a mystery, hopefully big enough to bring a small renaissance to the game. But the individual who provided me with the information was correct about Fatal Error, Forum Malvanum, and the Lemurian Invasion before they were formally announced, so my confidence in the information is pretty much 100%. You can be as skeptical as the day is long, and we live in an age of cynics, but when you maintain your cynicism solely because you're philosophically opposed to having faith in other people's word, in the face of someone with a long and flawless track record, you're just being a twit. :) They don't need to always show you the money for you to know that there's gold in the bank vault.

Cryptic North's policy to date is to not comment on upcoming pieces of content before they're ready for PTS, probably because previous CO teams have made promises they couldn't deliver on (see the UNTIL reports). If you're in it for the short term, take a break and wait for the announcement. If you're willing to commit to the long haul, but you need reassurance, have patience, the game is not dead, things are in the works. I just hope they're enough for a sustained server and revenue spike that will persuade PWE to expand the team.

Unfortunately, being a PC-head, I have no idea about the issue with the Mac launcher. So it doesn't play on Steam for the Mac? Ow.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Too bad there isn't another game to jump to.

This is my point. The next closest game is DCUO--but I don't like it very much at all.
    After that, there are no other superhero games--there are games with characters that have powers, but nothing like comic-book superheroes.

I will play champs until either

1. A new and better superhero game comes along

2. CO closes down

Neither of those two scenarios is in the near future.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Anyone who thinks CO is doomed needs to play some of PW's other titles. I've played a few where I saw MAYBE one other character. In contrast, I always see at least a 5 people in CO's tutorial. And yet, those games are all still around.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes.

Just yes.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited August 2014
    you're just being a twit. :)

You had me until this point. Insults never really give a sense of credibility, that's why I never resort to them. People who need to resort to insults always seem to me like they lack confidence in their statements.

I don't know who your source is, and I don't really need to. I trust in Brou.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This is my point. The next closest game is DCUO--but I don't like it very much at all.
    After that, there are no other superhero games--there are games with characters that have powers, but nothing like comic-book superheroes.

2. CO closes down

I think there are quite a few player who feel exactly this way. I don't like medieval fantasy stuff. I never have. When I did play pen and paper games, it was usually stuff like Shadowrun, Champions, Gamma World, or Amber. But games like Neverwinter leave me cold. :rolleyes:

Champions is the only real superhero MMO choice left. The customization is awesome, the powersets interesting, and what little story we do have is pretty well written.

I'm hoping the rumors of a significant update of some kind is true. Even if it isn't I'll continue to play until the doors shut.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
    edited August 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    <snip> Shadowrun <snip>

With you on this, 100%. That mmo, when it launches, might even distract me for a few weeks. I love CO because it feels the closest to the SR PNP rules. Wanna make a mage with a rocket launcher and some cybernetics? Go for it.

What loses me from every other major mmo is the fact that we're forced into classes and defined roles. Nah, I'm good. I'd rather build what I want.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    With you on this, 100%. That mmo, when it launches, might even distract me for a few weeks. I love CO because it feels the closest to the SR PNP rules. Wanna make a mage with a rocket launcher and some cybernetics? Go for it.

What loses me from every other major mmo is the fact that we're forced into classes and defined roles. Nah, I'm good. I'd rather build what I want.
    '

Shadowrun.. I know right!!!! I can't wait.

I keep hearing that "The Secret World" has a pretty neat class/power system. In general I don't mind classes as long as you can push them past their defined roles. I loved doing things with so called "weak' classes in COH that you weren't supposed to do. Most other games gimp the support class so much in fear of tank magery!

TBH even the AT's in CO have the potential to be much more powerful than their equivalents in many other MMOs.

So yah... sticking around here for awhile.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    never run Parallels ,
    you have the footprint of 2 OS running at the same time.
    just make a 100gb partition and do W7
    then you wont have any weird issues and a copy of windows is about the same as parellels cost wise.
    I run champions on a macbook pro retina 15 and have no issues.
    or buy a new surface because it runs great on that too.
    edited August 2014
    '

Shadowrun.. I know right!!!! I can't wait.

I keep hearing that "The Secret World" has a pretty neat class/power system. In general I don't mind classes as long as you can push them past their defined roles. I loved doing things with so called "weak' classes in COH that you weren't supposed to do. Most other games gimp the support class so much in fear of tank magery!

TBH even the AT's in CO have the potential to be much more powerful than their equivalents in many other MMOs.

So yah... sticking around here for awhile.

Sorta. Not to tangent here too hard, but TSW (while great) does some odd stuff with their powers. Assault rifles heal people. There's a variety on what you can do, but some of it is flat out "what even made you think that was a good idea?"

It's my second mmo after CO, though. I'm here for the gameplay and people, I'm there for the lore and world.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014

2. CO closes down

^This.
    I am prepared to jump to another game if there will be a game to jump into.
    But DCUO is an option only if there will be no CO at all.

So, if anything, a mere lack of competition can keep CO running for a while.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1. 50+ devs vs 12 part timers
    2. IP owned by someone else, which can be lost without use. IP owned by company.
    3. I have shadowrun MMO downloaded from Steam.
    It's like torchlight, top down, turn based. Not impressed so far.
    4. with all the hundreds of other games available, of varying types.
    The people who are constantly complaining in Zone, are still playing this one.

The people who are checking or updates ARE checking for updates.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well I already play other games anyway, but CO is just so much easier than any other game for chatting to people and also despite what people say I still like to PvP in it. Oh and the costume creator is pretty fun too. <_<

Yeah.
  • tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    As superpower games go, it's CO or nothing.

I tried DCUO, but got bored shortly into the game, somewhere around level 9-11 and then abandoned it.
    I suspect that is because I'm a Marvel fan and DC stuff doesn't mean anything to me.

Marvel Heroes was interesting to play, even if it's more like a topdown shooter then a 3rd person mmo.
    Unfortunately, the Dev's complete inability to create a stable client means software problems prevent me from actually playing the game.
    And I mean that literally, I can't even get past the login screen anymore!

As regards PWE's other offerings, I'm afraid they are less then nothing to me.
    My tastes are fairly specific, if it's not sci-fi or superpowers, then I do not care.

I tried the fantasy format by playing Guild Wars and it's sequel GW2 and that was enough to convince me I should never play fantasy games again!

Since it appears all PWE does is fantasy games, it means I just do not care whatever else they have.

And yes, I will grant you that STO is tedious beyond belief at the moment.
    But I still have things to do, so I have a reason to play on a daily basis, even if I am doing nothing more then raising my crafting level and collecting samples.

I did study the mac compatibility of the CO launcher and apparently, it's not that far off.
    The launcher started up, the game patched and the only problem was with initialization of the DirectX software, if I interpreted the error code properly.
    Keep in mind I was running the PC version on my Mac, so that says a lot.

So I'm assuming if they throw enough worktime into it, they can bring CO up to par so it can be run on MacOS.
    It's just code after all, if the Devs can't rewrite the code so that it works, then they're not good software coders.

And I don't believe it's so out of date that it won't work on Macs.
    STO players have studied the code and they know it's a variant of CO.
    Considering it is that compatible that CO features can and do function in STO if enabled, I am assuming it's current.
    I keep seeing things in STO that make me say, okay, I know that came from CO!

Yes, the costume creator is very fun.
    I think I spend most of my gameplay time working on new outfits!

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • atompenguinatompenguin Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    3. I have shadowrun MMO downloaded from Steam.
    It's like torchlight, top down, turn based. Not impressed so far.

There is so much wrong with this it kind of hurts.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There is so much wrong with this it kind of hurts.

You mean like how Shadowrun Returns isn't an MMO part? *chuckles*
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You mean like how Shadowrun Returns isn't an MMO part? *chuckles*

Wrong game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/267750/
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Oh, no, the SR MMO plays a lot like SR Returns. It's available on steam, paid for pre-alpha so screw that. I've heard this comparison before, but then again I like tactical so wtf.

I'll *never* understand the reason why new games charge people for pre-alpha. We don't even know what the game IS, but sure. We'll charge you 20 bucks for it.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Ok, so it's Shadowrun Returns now with multiplayer. I still don't see the MMO part.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited August 2014
    Oh, no, the SR MMO plays a lot like SR Returns. It's available on steam, paid for pre-alpha so screw that. I've heard this comparison before, but then again I like tactical so wtf.

I'll *never* understand the reason why new games charge people for pre-alpha. We don't even know what the game IS, but sure. We'll charge you 20 bucks for it.

I woulda paid a good chunk of cash to be able to have played Champions from Alpha. I think it's fascinating experiencing the changes the game goes through, seeing it in its crappy infancy and watching it evolve. Unfortunately I only have memories dating back to Open Beta, when the developers murdered us as Cryptonauts, the grass had better textures, and the middle of Renaissance Center was the PowerHouse, because I didn't get picked for closed beta. As the MMO that I've played most and stuck with longest, I think that sucks.

I've paid for early access founder's packs before, and haven't regretted it.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2014
    I woulda paid a good chunk of cash to be able to have played Champions from Alpha. I think it's fascinating experiencing the changes the game goes through, seeing it in its crappy infancy and watching it evolve. Unfortunately I only have memories dating back to Open Beta, when the developers murdered us as Cryptonauts, the grass had better textures, and the middle of Renaissance Center was the PowerHouse, because I didn't get picked for closed beta. As the MMO that I've played most and stuck with longest, I think that sucks.

I've paid for early access founder's packs before, and haven't regretted it.

Thing is, when you get early access? Hell, I had early access to NWO thanks to grimmwoodblack, and it was just enough for me to realize the game was *not* for me. Went back again a bit ago, and yep. Not my style. For every CO style "this game will be with me until it closes", there are gonna be a ton of games that just don't work. 20 bucks isn't that bad of a buy-in to see if you'll like something, but it does kinda add up if you do it a decent amount.

I like the idea of kickstarter because you can pitch in and usually get the finished version. However, if it doesn't fly? You're *supposed* to get that money back. Yogventures is a good example of that not happening, but I imagine we'll see some sort of lawsuit or penalty over it. Buy into a pre-alpha like this? You could just be paying these guys for a tech demo that they just cash in on and take the money.

CO, imo, is a special case in that they had a pedigree as mmo creators. They already had CoX under their belt, so when they said "new superhero mmo" everyone stood up and took notice. Hell, I was one of em. But some untested company charging you 20 bucks to play what one day could be a video game maybe? F that. Show me a beta and then we'll talk.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    Ok, so it's Shadowrun Returns now with multiplayer. I still don't see the MMO part.

I think the fact that it's billing itself as an MMO is enough to warrant calling it an MMO. The game's obviously not done yet, still in alpha stage, so all the parts are very likely not in yet.

Read the product page, it's pretty clear.
    biffsig.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Does it have a future? well, pwi seems to not shut down, so it will probably will be around but as to any significant development, all evidence points to no, unless you are with the "great pumpkin" crowd that believe we are getting some new content in some unspecified time in the future. that aid, its the best that remains of what it does. at least its the best that remains, dcou has too weak customization and the content really is pretty rigid tracks of only 3 leveling paths. the animations are better and i prefer the gameplay, but customization kills it. as for the rest of cryptic's stuff, they made a martial arts mmo that only has one option for unarmed combat(and only men can use it)..im kind of speechless there. but co will likely be around for a while with minimal development for the lockboxes and costumes, maybe a few incomplete powersets if they dont require new animations or much art assets or mechanics.

And hey, maybe the great pumpkin really will come, no evidence indicates it at all, but crazy stuff happens.
    edited August 2014
    Thing is, when you get early access? Hell, I had early access to NWO thanks to grimmwoodblack, and it was just enough for me to realize the game was *not* for me. Went back again a bit ago, and yep. Not my style. For every CO style "this game will be with me until it closes", there are gonna be a ton of games that just don't work. 20 bucks isn't that bad of a buy-in to see if you'll like something, but it does kinda add up if you do it a decent amount.

I like the idea of kickstarter because you can pitch in and usually get the finished version. However, if it doesn't fly? You're *supposed* to get that money back. Yogventures is a good example of that not happening, but I imagine we'll see some sort of lawsuit or penalty over it. Buy into a pre-alpha like this? You could just be paying these guys for a tech demo that they just cash in on and take the money.

CO, imo, is a special case in that they had a pedigree as mmo creators. They already had CoX under their belt, so when they said "new superhero mmo" everyone stood up and took notice. Hell, I was one of em. But some untested company charging you 20 bucks to play what one day could be a video game maybe? F that. Show me a beta and then we'll talk.

You only get money back from Kickstarter if the project doesn't meet its goal. Once the goal is met, win or lose, the money is not yours anymore.

I personally haven't been burned by any Kickstarter I've backed yet.

I don't think the owners of the Shadowrun IP would be cool with letting some jackass dudes take the money and run. I mean, I know I can't predict the future and say for sure what's what, but yeah. I don't see anything fishy going on with this one.
    biffsig.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, I know, it's like another one of those threads where someone is just out to bag the game.

But in my case, I am genuinely concerned.

These are the issues I have:

1. No Mac compatible launcher.
    From what I understand, making a Cider launcher is really easy for Devs.
    And this would open up a new target audience amongst Mac specific gameplayers, since the market for Mac games is quite limited!
    And Steam does exist for Mac, so releasing it on that platform is really easy once the initial Cider Launcher is deployed.

Also, my PC died and cannot be fixed, so if they want to keep me playing (and paying money!), then they need to meet this requirement.

2. Lack of new content.
    I don't really see anything changing at all.
    They rotate in new lockboxes, new costume options and that is about it.
    No new powers/framesets, no level cap rise, no new story missions, no new maps to explore.

I'm really not convinced a game that doesn't keep adding major updates can survive competively in the market.
    There eventually has to reach a point when players realize this and just jump ship to another game.

I think the game will be around for awhile yet. BUT MMOs do end one day. I am not flaming you with the next statement BTW. I know some people get very attached to the heroes they make in their game if you are worrying to much about CO, get yourself SR IV or Lego Batman 2 as you can make your toon there and no one can shut it down on you ^_^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I think the game will be around for awhile yet. BUT MMOs do end one day. I am not flaming you with the next statement BTW. I know some people get very attached to the heroes they make in their game if you are worrying to much about CO, get yourself SR IV or Lego Batman 2 as you can make your toon there and no one can shut it down on you ^_^

well, depends on their structure, i can still plug in my dreamcast and play my level 200 HCast if i so desire(or my gamecube, microsoft was dumb to force the connection, and i could play psu right now. id love it if more mmos made the contingency plan to keep games around. heck, meridian 59 is still around, just on private servers that the devs helped guide the setup of, same with ashterons call(if i recall correctly) good publishers plan for the end of servers, bad publishers...are generally ncsoft.
  • tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am actually curious as to what CO players spend all their time doing nowadays.

As far as I can tell, it goes something like this:

1. Nemesis Confrontation.
    2. Apocalypse Aversion.
    3. Go to Vibora Bay and kill Sovereign Sons for costume items to sell on exchange.
    4. Kill more Vibora Bay enemies for other costume items.
    Goto Start and repeat.

How many times can any one person do that before they get bored?

IGet yourself SR IV or Lego Batman 2 as you can make your toon there and no one can shut it down on you ^_^

What is SR IV?
    And I'm not a fan of Batman and I only have one Lego game (the one based on the recent movie), so neither of those are reasons to get this game.
    rianfrost wrote: »
    Bad publishers...are generally ncsoft.

I'd have to concur with the above statement.
    They had the best sci-fi mmo ever and what do they do?
    Shut it down for an clone of a game that already is on the market!

The Guild Wars series was based on grinding, practically living in the game!
    Guild Wars 2, well, what you do is the same event mission 100 times over to level and there's minimal story missions.

edited August 2014
    A lot of us look at CO and see such huge potential. Seeing the potential awesomeness makes the current situation confusing. I'm sure that's one reason threads like this pop up from time to time.

This game has good bones and structure but we've seen nothing substantial done with it. So it gets confusing. Especially when you see other PWE properties blossoming and well developed.

Personally, I think there is a bias against mmo's that don't follow the established formula. If it's not a WOW clone (i.e. dragons, wizards, and fairy princesses) then the perception will be it's a waste of time to develop.

Of course game like STO and EVE prove that's not true.

I really believe that CO could be a very successful and highly profitable MMO if it received the same amount of development that STO has. But in the end we're all really powerless in the matter. The decision on what game gets resources is made by some PWE executive whose name we'll never even know. That's the frustrating part.
    edited August 2014
    I am actually curious as to what CO players spend all their time doing nowadays.

1. Alerts
    2. Alerts
    3. Alerts
    4. Alerts
    5. Alerts
    6. Hero Games
    7. Alerts
    Occasionally throw in a Nemcon (less nowadays), or a Lair (very infrequent).

Repeat. That's what I spend my time doing in game. As for how long I can do that? Pretty much been doing that since On Alert dropped on us. I like alerts a lot, they're the kind of content I have the most fun with: Easy to start, doesn't require me to find a group, nothing but action, and NPCs that are a bit beefier than what you encounter in missions.
    A lot of us look at CO and see such huge potential.

Potential in the rear-view mirror may appear bigger than it are.
    I think the game will be around for awhile yet. BUT MMOs do end one day.

Some do... and some seem to go on forEver, and they make you say wow...why with some mmos, it seems there's almost nothing that could rune their chances of being around forever. Ultimaly, it depends on the mmo in question... even some of the most barbaric mmos persist despite all odds. u3u
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Demorecord.
    Demorecord.
    Water Balloons.
    Demorecord.
    Ping Pong Gun.
    Demorecord.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited August 2014
    Demorecord.
    Demorecord.
    Water Balloons.
    Demorecord.
    Ping Pong Gun.
    Demorecord.

You forgot melting into the ground u3u
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Making alts.
    Seeing how they perform.

Just got my LTS the other day, and I'm working on a melee bruiser, Captain Punchfist, and a classic Champions-style generic energy blaster, Starbolt. I have more ideas waiting in the wings.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    currentyl they are working on the basic classes(AT's), then they will work on the make your owns later(FF)

once the classes are working ok, you are supposed to be able to team with other people.
    there's about 6 scenarios to run currently.
    alt- to try a build, alt for RP, alt due to bad pun, alt due to thread. Misconceptions thread is responsible for Summoner <female canine>
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    short answer no this game doesn't not have a future, and once its gone i won't even shed a tear over it

we have had no proper updates or bug fixes since FFA

and don't say the c-store counts as features because that's a load of garbage that's to see if there is still interest
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    edited August 2014

1. Nemesis Confrontation.
    2. Apocalypse Aversion.
    3. Go to Vibora Bay and kill Sovereign Sons for costume items to sell on exchange.
    4. Kill more Vibora Bay enemies for other costume items.
    Goto Start and repeat.

How many times can any one person do that before they get bored?

Nemcon, Therakiel, farm vikorin, alert farm for costumes and mods, rampage farm for endgame gear, trick out one of my 23348097 vehicles, make another alt to level to 40 and write a forum thread about it, min/max and play with the nearly infinite character concepts the game has, trick out an alt's gear, RP, tailor my happy little butt off, chat with friends, hunt down obscure missions, lore hunt, farm kill perks, rerun comic series/adventure packs, teach new players the ropes and help them level, hero games, random duels, discuss theorycraft with other builders. You can boil any mmo down to "farm a few missions and repeat" but it glosses over a lot of what there actually is to DO in said MMOs.

Also, about 6 years by my calculations, counting betas. Not bored yet. There's really not a lot out there that lets you do as much with your character as this game does, and because of that I find it infinitely fascinating. At the very least? It's probably the best avatar chat ever created.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    short answer no this game doesn't not have a future, and once its gone i won't even shed a tear over it

Champions' future confirmed.

Don't you get tired of hanging around talking about a game you hate so much? Honest question.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    short answer no this game doesn't not have a future

Doesn't not, lol. You know what two negatives make don't you?

I knew you'd come round eventually :wink:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Making alts.
    Seeing how they perform.

Just got my LTS the other day, and I'm working on a melee bruiser, Captain Punchfist, and a classic Champions-style generic energy blaster, Starbolt. I have more ideas waiting in the wings.

How long before you start making stupidly powerful characters and then join us in saying the game is too easy? uwu
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    Farming.
    Leveling R&D skills.
    RPing.
    Sometimes alting.

In a random order.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Imho, when talking about future, it does not need to mean about extreme positions in closing, maintenance mode, etc. If we take a snapshot August 2013-August 2014, Is it likely that there will be significant more releases from August 2014-August 2015?

I have heard from Cryptic the position that they feel comfortable with CO financial performance and they seem to not have plans to change the current strategy of releases. My concern is that being comfortable could get in the way of CO trying to move forward and pick some fight with its competitors.

I sincerely hope that those rumors of something (not going to say big) better is on the way.

Also, that policy of not announcing what they are doing, while seems a prudent approach; might not be the best policy in terms of player retention, and given the monthly costume piece for subscribers, I think they are pretty concern about it.

Anyway, the anniversary would be a good time to do some annoucement and do some effort, where little things might matter.