test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Accelerator/Unified/Smash

hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Power Discussion
Alright... I have to admit I am rather lost with this miniset. So what I gather is we have Accelerator which is a Click attack that hits everything infront of me... Does it have a cooldown? I have no idea. It does not seem to but it is not a combo either and sometimes it seems to do no damage. Then there is Unified Theory which is some sort of super long charge attack that is pretty pathetic that is another Melee attack. However, Accelerator will make it into a Click ability if I get the proc from Accelerator. Is there a cooldown on UT? Again I cannot tell but it fails to deal damage sometimes. Now if I get three of the procs from UT I can super charge Particle Smash but that attack is a RANGED AoE... In other words it goes off of EGO instead of Strength... This means it will almost certainly never have the full damage potential as if it were another Melee.

So my questions are these:

1) How does this mini set actually work?

2) Does it really deal damage worth even considering?

3) Is it too cumbersome and complicated to really bother with?
Post edited by hasukurobi on

Comments

• selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Particle Smash is very likely considered melee. It procs Elusive Monk from Parry and gains Ebb and Flow stacks from CWK.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I dun really consider it worthwhile since the basic laser sword combo is so strong just by itself. The other, newer powers can help prop it up in the long run, but it takes quite a bit of wind-up and some reliance on luck for procs.

Basics of the mini-set: Use Accelerator till Accelerated procs, then hit Unified Theory (which should be instant now) for the particle dmg buff. Optimally you do this 3x for 30% more Particle dmg total. Then spam Laser Sword w/ adv till 5x Plasma Burn, and 'rupture' the PB stacks w/ Cutter. Repeat using Accelerator and UF once to keep the particle dmg buff refreshed, or - if the UF buff is running out - use Particle Smash to end the buff and get a burst of dmg (an execute, if you will).

UF shouldn't be used w/o the Accelerated buff, as its base charge time is 8 sec and it only goes off when fully charged (tapping or canceling the charge early does nothing).

How it actually works: Accelerator's proc rate is rather low on one target hit, making the wind-up phase potentially quite long vs. just one target (from my experience). Also, PB only lasts 12 sec, so its difficult to build up to 5 stacks for Cutter (and not easy to have the energy to do so). Energy is also not easy to maintain for this set- the basic LS combo and Accelerator aren't cheap to spam, and the only easily fitting toggle for the set is FotT.

The mini-set seems to have been built w/ the mind-set of hitting multiple clumped mobs at once, as this greatly raises the proc rate on Accelerator (and ofc is reinforced by Particle Smash's short, but powerful, reach). GL w/ all that on a 10ft 90-degree cone ability, though.

And last I checked, Particle Smash scaled w/ Strength and the melee role, so yeah pretty sure its actually melee, despite the tooltip.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Thank you both for that. Odd that PS works on Str when it clearly states itself as ranged.

However, it does sound by how you describe it that it is a lot of work for not really enough reward to bother with when the normal combo, cutter, and the LWS can take care of everything.

One last question: For the normal Plasma Sword combo ability would you recommend taking its Perk to lower enemy resistance or not?
    edited July 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Odd that PS works on Str when it clearly states itself as ranged.
    CO's tooltips aren't the most reliable thing to go by :x
    One last question: For the normal Plasma Sword combo ability would you recommend taking its Perk to lower enemy resistance or not?
    The special adv is a small dps increase just for the basic LS combo itself, moreso if you add more particle dmg abilities on top. It does make it a good bit more costly, though. If I were to take the adv, I'd prob wait till higher level when cost discount/Int gear gets a boost (unless using something like Defiance w/ a normal toggle and EU, which will give you much energy even when leveling).

The whole mini-set is worthwhile for long fights and the rare times ya can really dig into tightly-knit mobs, but the majority of CO's PvE content is chewed through quickly. Its just not something I'd devote to, since it does commit at least 2 extra power slots on top of the combo to start really working.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Particle Smash is a 35ft range attack, so its rather unusual power overall.

The point of the laser sword powers was because someone just wanted it in game for their own personal use and wanted Particle Smash to be based on melee since they used melee boosting powers. It was all designed for how they wanted to use it, ignoring how useful it could have been in combination with other power sets.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I ignore the newer powers and built mine around Laser Sword and adv to debuff, Plasma Beam to build very quick Plasma Burn stacks, and then Plasma Cutter to rupture them. Simple and quick to rotate through with high DPS.

I just can't stand to play it because of the Laser Sword graphics/animations/sound effects.
    edited July 2014
    Yeah LS's set anims are either borrowed or just lack any sort of flair to 'em. They look very dry vs. the other sword set anims. Guess that's mostly on the very limited dev resources we have avail these days.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I actually like the basic Laser Sword combo's animation. Straightforward and no-nonsense. No need for fancy spinning or jumping, just like how the original Star Wars lightsaber fights were :O