test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just HOW LONG CAN A CIVIL WAR LAST???

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Off Topic
Start working on the metaplot, end the Lemurian unrest one way or the other.

Kthxbye.
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    Start working on the metaplot, end the Lemurian unrest one way or the other.

Kthxbye.

Middle east has been raging for thousands of years. So... quite a long time? Not to mention we are still deadlocked in 2009 on the CO calendar.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Korean War lasted a little over 3 years. M*A*S*H lasted 11. So there is a precedent.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Several decades, it would seem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_Civil_War

As you can see, Somalia is still ongoing with no end in sight.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There has been civil war in Burma for over half a century now.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Korean War lasted a little over 3 years. M*A*S*H lasted 11. So there is a precedent.
    Technically, the Korean War is still ongoing. There was no peace treaty - just a cease-fire that's more or less held since 1953. We still have troops stationed there, along the DMZ.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, King Arvad has been presenting himself as reformed, and trying to save his people from renewed enslavement to the Bleak Ones. To that end he's seeking any help he can get, such as human superheroes. It certainly appears that the majority of Lemurians, having regained their shape-shifting powers, are an even greater threat to the world than they were under Arvad.

What might really turn the tide of the civil war would be if Arvad could persuade his fellow Empyreans to join him in defeating the rebel faction. This would be tough slogging -- Arvad has been a pariah among his people for two hundred years. Arvad's brother Hazor, king of the Empyreans, has doubts but also hopes that Arvad has truly seen the light. OTOH Hazor's grandson and crown prince, Archon, nurses a deep abiding hatred for all things Lemurian, after having warred with them for millennia.

It might help Arvad's cause if superheroes who have helped him fight for his people were to accompany him to the Empyrean realm of Arcadia and speak in support of him. That would be a good excuse for an adventure arc in the Golden City. Archon's distrust and hatred might spark an open battle between Arvad and his allies, and those who agree with Archon's viewpoint.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Civil war without front lines drawn, guerilla style?

Plenty of time.

Decades.
    edited July 2014
    Civil war without front lines drawn, guerilla style?

Plenty of time.

Decades.

In real life, absolutely. But major upheavals to the established order in comics tend to resolve much more quickly. It's a logical outgrowth of the genre -- the big climactic battle suits four-color superheroics much better than the long slow slog of attrition. Plus, we're talking a fan-base not renowned for long attention spans. :wink:
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    And then new master villain shows and war starts anew.

Four millions years, Cybertronian civil war. And when it was finally over, new Decepticon commander started it again.

Kinda hard to end Lemurian Civil war in CO because it'd require reworking the whole zone. Lemurian rebels are everywhere. Oh, and Lemurians in rampages.

Unless the war is ended only on the paper, but mobs stay the same as reluctant rebel guerillas. But then, why bother?
    edited July 2014
    Then again, on the long end of the Champions Universe scale, the war between the Malvans and the Elder Worm lasted three hundred millennia. But to be fair, it went through repeated "hot" and "cold" stages.

Kal-Turak/Takofanes' conquest of the known world of his era took 268 years. He was operating on a fantasy "Dark Lord" timetable, rather than a comic-book "master supervillain."

The war between the Hzeel and the Dorvalans (Ironclad's race) has been ongoing since the late 1990s. Both species have FTL stardrives, but they're less advanced and slower than those of older galactic civilizations. So the conflict is strategically slow to evolve.
  • alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As my mother vvould alvvays say; She vvas born in vvar and she'll most likely die in the same vvar :P

Alexandra.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Starpeople have been at war with King Dedede for over 20 years now >__>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    The Starpeople have been at war with King Dedede for over 20 years now >__>

Nepht has been at war with Ginger for... however old Ginger is I guess.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Nepht has been at war with Ginger for... however old Ginger is I guess.

Ive been at war with that git for 22 years and 9 months ( was his B-day last week ). Yup he was even annoying people BEFORE he was born.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    There has been civil war in Burma for over half a century now.

Every time I see the word Burma I can't help but think of this silly scene from Monty Python.

"Burma!"

"What d'ya say Burma for?"

"I panicked."

Doesn't quite work with the new name for that old nation.

"Myanmar!"

"What d'ya say Myanmar for?"

"I panicked while trying to be socio-politically correct."

Looses something.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Every time I see the word Burma I can't help but think of this silly scene from Monty Python.

"Burma!"

"What d'ya say Burma for?"

"I panicked."

Doesn't quite work with the new name for that old nation.

"Myanmar!"

"What d'ya say Myanmar for?"

"I panicked while trying to be socio-politically correct."

Looses something.
    lose is to win, loose is to tight.

so what exactly came loose?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Ive been at war with that git for 22 years and 9 months ( was his B-day last week ). Yup he was even annoying people BEFORE he was born.

Yeah I was 23 last week not 22. I just didnt want to upset you and tell you as such as you put such effort into that card with all the glitter and pasta shells and stuff.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    chaelk wrote: »

My mind! { runs away cackling insanely }

Oh, and my fingers, apparently. With the letter o, at least.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2014

The letter o. It fell out of "too" in the sentence above, and landed in "lose".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited July 2014

What.. you were not aware that loose can be used as a verb?

I shall loose a force of war hounds upon ye!

There, I just loosed something.... as a present statement of action in a rpish sort of format that would be "Looses something".
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    loose.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It is and you can.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/loose

2loose verb \ˈlüs\

: to release or untie (an animal or person)

: to make (something) less tight

: to shoot or fire (something, such as an arrow or a bullet)

loosedloos·ing

Full Definition of LOOSE

transitive verb

a : to let loose (see 1loose): release

b : to free from restraint

: to make loose : untie <loose a knot>

: to cast loose : detach

: to let fly : discharge

: to make less rigid, tight, or strict : relax

intransitive verb

: to let fly a missile (as an arrow) : fire

See loose defined for English-language learners »

Examples of LOOSE

The soldiers loosed a volley of rifle fire.
    <the archers loosed a great volley of arrows at the foot soldiers charging towards them>