test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is Crushing Wave a T2 power?

tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Power Discussion
Why is Crushing Wave a T2 power? It's got about the same DPS as the other T1 breath attacks, ticks half as often, and has a second lower duration. Why is it T2?

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by tdits on

Comments

• jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    No idea. It's a pretty terrible power relative to kindred powers in other sets. That slow ticking is what really kills it for me; feels like 3 seconds between damage ticks. I really wish they'd make it competitive (and with a changeable emanation point), as it is a great-looking power and could easily fit a variety of themes.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only standout 50ft ranged cone for dps is Skarn's (well, and FAW if you count that). CW isn't really stronger or weaker than the rest in terms of just dps (the lockdown and insufficient tick number suck, though).

Its silly that CW is a higher tier, but tiers in this game aren't always a great indicator of rel power. Dunno what to say other than it'd be nice to re-balance, but so would tons of other small things related to the powers atm :/
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It might only be because Force Eruption is supposed to be the cheaper T1 aoe.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its one of those power sets that weren't rebalanced to match F2P standards. Every power set that seems like it underperforms compared to others is simply because of this reason.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its one of those power sets that weren't rebalanced to match F2P standards. Every power set that seems like it underperforms compared to others is simply because of this reason.

Like Old Telepathy? go team...
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New telepathy isn't even good considering how holds were butchered with On Alert.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    New telepathy isn't even good considering how holds were butchered with On Alert.

What's that? You wanted to keep stacks up for aoe heals and debuffs? Well, I'm just gonna go a head and Break those stacks for you. I wanted some spike damage. Oh, and what's this? Built only around the dots? Well I apply them too, so enjoy having only half of your normal efficacy.

New telepathy would rock were it not for both of these facts. My powers should never make yours go away, and me stacking anything shouldn't affect how you do. New telepathy would actually be pretty great support and decent enough dps if it weren't for all of this. As a fan of dotmasters in every mmo, it's a legit shame this this got that last minute neutering before going live. That, and, I can spam ice cage every second or 2 to interrupt someone, but telepathy wasn't allowed to because reasons.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    It can knock people on their ****. And it crits pretty well. Seeing another play die sitting on their butt while you crit them on the forhead is always fun.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm actually the person who suggested the idea for Crushing wave in a thread a few years ago about the force tree.

I like how they implemented it, except for 2 things.

First: the timing between "pulses" is too long they should be half a second apart, not a full second

Second: the repel just doesn't seem strong enough to me.. regular mobs can still run up on you when it's active, it should be pushing them back
    @Powerblast in game