test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Form of the Energy Reverb

selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Suggestions Box
Idc what it's called, give it a better name :p

But Endurance is the only stat that doesn't have a Form, and it's way undervalued as a stat. Make it worth taking :O

Add a Form power that gives an equal, full damage buff to both melee and ranged, as well as half bonus to Shield strength and bonus energy, scaling with Endurance or Recovery, when the following happens:

You apply Clinging Flames, Chilled, Particle Burn, Negative Ions, Fear or a bubble (both offensive and defensive bubbles)

Yes, it would be a precedent as the first Form that buffs both damage types fully. And it would also be the first Form that buffs something else on top of that - shield strength. Extreme measures are necessary :cool:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do admit End is way under-powered compared with other stats and I do think it needs more abilities that scale to End, A form yes but...I don't understand your thoughts behind the form you picked?

Full damage on melee/Ranged + Full shield strength?... I do think that might be better at; Full Shield Strength + Half Melee/Ranged Damage.

And your triggers are...off?....Clinging Flames?....Shielding?...so many debuffs to trigger it

Personally if the aim is a Shielding Form I feel it should trigger when one your shields takes damage (Shields on yourself or others as long as you cast the shield)

I do however see your trying to aim for a highly temping form to boost End as a stat...but I feel it should be looked over in other ways too, rather than add one highly powered Form. Perhaps Specs or changing the stat itself.

Alexandra.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I do admit End is way under-powered compared with other stats and I do think it needs more abilities that scale to End, A form yes but...I don't understand your thoughts behind the form you picked?

Full damage on melee/Ranged + Full shield strength?... I do think that might be better at; Full Shield Strength + Half Melee/Ranged Damage.

And your triggers are...off?....Clinging Flames?....Shielding?...so many debuffs to trigger it

Personally if the aim is a Shielding Form I feel it should trigger when one your shields takes damage (Shields on yourself or others as long as you cast the shield)

I do however see your trying to aim for a highly temping form to boost End as a stat...but I feel it should be looked over in other ways too, rather than add one highly powered Form. Perhaps Specs or changing the stat itself.

Alexandra.

It's full to damage and half to shield, opposite of Compassion which is full to healing (both heals/shield) and half to damage. The intent is a Form innate to the Energy Manipulation sets, Fire, Ice, Force, Wind, Lightning, which currently do not have a native Form, so shielding alone wouldn't work - it has to work for those 5 powersets at minimum.

Darkness and Laser Sword are in there because they have a unique mechanic for the powerset, similar to the 5 sets, i.e. Fear and Particle Burn, while the Ego and Supernatural sets weren't included because they have have their own Forms. Sorcery doesn't have its own effect and so was excluded.

As for the triggers, it's actually comparable to Manipulator, which procs off Roots, Stuns, Para, Incap etc, except out of the effects I listed, Negative Ions for example doesn't do much at all, and Clinging Flames isn't nearly as strong as Bleed or Deadly Poison.

If you think about it, when you're spending time applying Clinging Flames, it means you're not spending that time applying Fear or Chill (except Rimefire of course). On the other hand, a character using Concentration could use Conflag to apply Clinging Flames AND proc Conc, or Ice Blast to apply Chill and proc Conc, or Shadow Blast and apply Fear, so even with such a wide variety of trigger effects it's still more restrictive than Concentration and FotT.
  • alexandrafreyaalexandrafreya Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Opps...Sorry I completely misread the half shield part...

But I have had a better chance to think this one over, and I do feel End does need something... I don't think this is it, The thing is energy returns will all be too high and throwing shield strength in there..even at half does seem too much to me.

These debuff aren't much on there own no but most are tied to Energy unlocks and also Force has it's own Form already? It's not tied to End no but At best IDF adds to shields (IDF seems to layer over shields and reduce the amount of damage the shield has to absorb) and that covers shield strength already?

Try to think about it, One the best DPS setups is Dex, Int, X (Ego); Using Quarry + MSA + Concentration. This is basically because it removes any energy problems (MSA scales on Int and so does Concentration) plus turns Int into a damage stat aswell, thus stacking intense Int. (Plus of course DEX spec are helping alot too)

Now try Dex, End, X (Ego); using Electric Form + Ionic Reverberation + End Form.
    It'll be the same or even more as the Int idea only throwing in free shield strength to cover a powerset that already has a form.

Of course I do feel Compassion should be triggered when one of your shields take any damage.

Sorry again about misreading the Shield strength part.

Alexandra.
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    How about Particle Reverberation...Whenever you apply/refresh/cauterize stacks of Particle Burn you gain energy. Scaling off of End. Which would be beneficial to the Laser Sword users. And since the primary combo of the Laser Sword Attacks needs a high End or a high Int to pull off full combos anyway, well it would give them another option...

And this can also be used with the Power Bolts, Plasma Beam and Particle Smash powers so it wouldn't be limited to just the melee side of the Particle Damage spectrum...anyway just my two cents...
    edited July 2014
    Opps...Sorry I completely misread the half shield part...

But I have had a better chance to think this one over, and I do feel End does need something... I don't think this is it, The thing is energy returns will all be too high and throwing shield strength in there..even at half does seem too much to me.

These debuff aren't much on there own no but most are tied to Energy unlocks and also Force has it's own Form already? It's not tied to End no but At best IDF adds to shields (IDF seems to layer over shields and reduce the amount of damage the shield has to absorb) and that covers shield strength already?

Try to think about it, One the best DPS setups is Dex, Int, X (Ego); Using Quarry + MSA + Concentration. This is basically because it removes any energy problems (MSA scales on Int and so does Concentration) plus turns Int into a damage stat aswell, thus stacking intense Int. (Plus of course DEX spec are helping alot too)

Now try Dex, End, X (Ego); using Electric Form + Ionic Reverberation + End Form.
    It'll be the same or even more as the Int idea only throwing in free shield strength to cover a powerset that already has a form.

Of course I do feel Compassion should be triggered when one of your shields take any damage.

Sorry again about misreading the Shield strength part.

Alexandra.

Np about the misread, the wording was probably not too clear.

Anyway, you should try Ego/Int/Dex for the DPS setup :o Totally ignore Ego - it's just there to give you the Spec tree for Sixth Sense and Force of Will. Stack about 400+ Int including Hospitable and Barricade secondaries. Use Vigi crit sec offense as your only Ego item - Quarry and Ego Surge will cover the rest of the Ego. Any leftover mod slots go to Dex (I prefer Con for Nimble Mind and HP though). Use Legion's Piercing or Justice Precision and rotate Ego Surge and L&L.

And yes, MSA and Concentration makes Int very attractive. However, the main thing that seals the deal is the Cooldown Reduction - with Int stacking you get to pop your AOs like Ego Surge and L&L more often and you get to throw out more Masterful Dodges, Convictions, Strafing Runs, Rimefires and Ice Grenades - with a single stat you cover Offense, Defense and Energy. That's why mods for Int and Con are so expensive.

So with the new Form and End instead of Int, an Ego/Dex/End setup using the what you describe is going to have lower damage because it doesn't have perma-AO, its big attacks like Strafing Run and Rimefire come out slower, and it won't be able to spam Conviction or use MD or rotate MD-Unbreakable as often. But in return if you take Protection Field or MR your bubbles are slightly better, and if you mix melee and ranged attacks - something not many characters do, you get full bonus to both. I think Int is still going to be ahead there.
    thebuckeye wrote: »
    How about Particle Reverberation...Whenever you apply/refresh/cauterize stacks of Particle Burn you gain energy. Scaling off of End. Which would be beneficial to the Laser Sword users. And since the primary combo of the Laser Sword Attacks needs a high End or a high Int to pull off full combos anyway, well it would give them another option...

And this can also be used with the Power Bolts, Plasma Beam and Particle Smash powers so it wouldn't be limited to just the melee side of the Particle Damage spectrum...anyway just my two cents...

Yes Laser Sword needs a good unlock too.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While in general I like the idea, I think these measures a little to extreme. :tongue:
    With half damage to melee and ranged I'd love to see this added.
    edited July 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    While in general I like the idea, I think these measures a little to extreme. :tongue:
    With half damage to melee and ranged I'd love to see this added.

As I said, half damage would make it weaker than Compassion :frown:

Compassion:

Full healing
    Full shields
    Half melee
    Half ranged

FotE:

0 healing
    Half shields
    Full melee
    Full ranged

If they're all halved Compassion would be a better option all around.

Not to mention the Form has to compensate for the innate unattractiveness of End. Unlike Int which gives CD Redux or Str/Ego/Dex which give you a hefty DPS boost, or even Con stacking which is like a gift that keeps on giving, a minimal amount of End is enough to cover energy needs.

A player stacking End to 400+ just for some newfangled Form is sacrificing a lot of potential Crit chance, CD Redux or HP while going way overkill on energy management. All for what benefit? A chunk of additive bonus of questionable value, and a somewhat stronger double bubble. Would that compensate for slower MD/Unbreakable cycling or the 2500+ HP from stacking Con? That would really depend on the build.

I can picture it being a strong contender over Compassion for an offense-oriented AoPM Support, or even a non-Defiance, non-LR tank (do those exist? :P), but for all out DPS I think Ego or Dex/Int/Con would still be ahead for Ranged and Str/Int/Con for PvP and Melee.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Only major issue I have w/ this is.. why only End and not either the highest of End or Rec? I'd prob make the numbers 75-85% of ranged/melee dmg, 25% healing, and 50% shields, though- then we have more of a 'hybrid' toggle that this game kinda lacks.

This would help w/ their value, ofc, but imo their spec trees also need some small tweaking to be better.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited July 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Only major issue I have w/ this is.. why only End and not either the highest of End or Rec? I'd prob make the numbers 75-85% of ranged/melee dmg, 25% healing, and 50% shields, though- then we have more of a 'hybrid' toggle that this game kinda lacks.

This would help w/ their value, ofc, but imo their spec trees also need some small tweaking to be better.

I wouldn't mind a true hybrid toggle but I just went for simple full and half bonuses so that they'd be in line with other forms. Once we get into the less granular it's going to become unnecessarily complicated, like poor Ayonachan is going to have to make a separate entry just for this Form.

This is additive bonus anyway so the bonus in practice is going to be a lot less than it appears. I'm pushing for a full bonus because if you want to shake up the meta and get people to notice it, you have to do this in a big way. Rec with Compassion gives half bonus to damage. It's actually not a half bad DPS form, but no one bothers. Same with Dex and FotT on ranged builds.

I once tried out Dex/End/Con FotT vs Ego/End/Con Conc on a ranged build, and Dex actually came out ahead in DPS. Incidentally, I don't run Dex/End/Con ranged anymore, but the weak link wasn't Dex and FotT on ranged. It was End. The cost of having Ego Surge/L&L on a cooldown closer to 40 seconds than 30 seconds was really big.

And yes, their spec trees need some huge tweaking, but a year ago there was just no love :frown: Today the meta's a little different though - it's actually rewarding to go for something other than raw DPS so I'd suggest different changes.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I guess a 0.33% all damage scaling is okay since END doesn't directly contribute to DPS, but I'm unsure about the proccing. The proccing that you suggested makes it unusable on my Force Tank who would love to have a full damage toggle and a shield strength boost at the same time. Force doesn't apply any status effects accept for Knock Resistance, and I just can't use Field Surge often enough to keep 8 stacks up.

I guess it'd work if I can fit Protection Field into my build. I'd definitely do that if Protection Field interacted with PFF like Field Surge does. PFF really needs a non-AD heal. And an Energy Unlock. And a buff to Crushing Wave. And a PFF bug-fix. And...

PS. I think the entire spec tree system needs a complete rework. We've got a handful of over performing spec trees and the rest are complete crap.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    I guess a 0.33% all damage scaling is okay since END doesn't directly contribute to DPS, but I'm unsure about the proccing. The proccing that you suggested makes it unusable on my Force Tank who would love to have a full damage toggle and a shield strength boost at the same time. Force doesn't apply any status effects accept for Knock Resistance, and I just can't use Field Surge often enough to keep 8 stacks up.

I guess it'd work if I can fit Protection Field into my build. I'd definitely do that if Protection Field interacted with PFF like Field Surge does. PFF really needs a non-AD heal. And an Energy Unlock. And a buff to Crushing Wave. And a PFF bug-fix. And...

PS. I think the entire spec tree system needs a complete rework. We've got a handful of over performing spec trees and the rest are complete crap.

Force has that containment thingy that falls under the "bubble" category, although it's a clunky mechanic to be sure
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    Force has that containment thingy that falls under the "bubble" category, although it's a clunky mechanic to be sure

Force also has that defensive bubble on the Energy Builder...Redirected Force which bubbles the entire group while its maintained....and the containment blast on Cascade...as well as that protection bubble...
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the weird thing is that Energy Projector has no melee powers and no healing powers. Other than that...

Full melee and full range for a true hybrid, if only because no currently existing Form does this and we could use one
    Half shield (I'll assume this also counts towards Ice Cages and Containment Fields)
    Instead of half healing, maybe some kind of energy management bonus such as Cost Reduction and reduced Energy Decay. It'd go well with Energy Projector's generally high power costs but it also feels too much like a patch for END.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!