test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Combat Useful Becomes

kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
Hey, all.

For almost as long as I've played CO, I've been toying with the idea of making a Shapeshifter, and using the Becomes for combat. I've used a few, and some seem better for actual play than others.

Questions I have are:

1. What are the best Becomes for actually using in a mission?

2. What would you take for your actual powers that'd compliment the concept? (Freeform)
Post edited by kaosarcanna on

Comments

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Short answer: None of em. Their powers are lackluster compared to ours (rank 2.5 mostly) and they don't have spec trees. But some can still see some use in some cases.

Longer answer:

The survivable ones. The demons and vampire self heal via dps, which really helps, and the black talon has those heal drones. The werewolves, obviously, also rock. The white one less, though, because why did they give it ice powers? I gather lemurian PA has a self heal too, but I can't confirm that. I use a doomlord myself from time to time for the rezzing and the dps (which is actually decent). As for powers? Hell, you're rocking a buncha self heals on your become, might as well make a terrifying glass cannon with the freeform. Cascade spamming quarry user or something. A healer type is also an idea, I was pretty fond of using becomes when I was leveling my radiant as it made soloing content twice as fast.

I'll bet the become destroid is probably pretty good now too, now that it got invuln as a passive. It always threw passable enough dps, and I do love me some power armor. Stylistically, I love the cyber ninja. In reality... Man it's cool looking. Too bad about the powers.

Becomes to 100% avoid are the halloween ones. They are really light on powers and pretty much suck across the board. Frank in particular. Eef. That thing is a trainwreck.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have an alt that does this, her power is to be able to shapeshift into things that subconsciously scare the crap out of her, and she was a little girl when her powers manifested, so, movie monsters. thus, I got the Become vamp, ghost, frank, etc.

Sadly none of them are any good now post on-alert, since none of them have teir own spec trees, and disable your own, so even though tier stats got a mild buff recently, they still suck, except for one of them.

The become Lemurian Power Armor [Teal or Purple, doesn't matter which] is an excellent Power Armor become, with Invulnerability passive and plenty of toughness and dps built in.. I even find myself grabbing threat with it at times. It looks great, has cool reskinned and renamed versions of many useful Power Armor powers [but in a magic theme] and it even builds it's energy back pretty fast if you want to do that, since it uses a Shield block that gets increased energy from blocking.

it's only drawback is no self heal, but I wear mine on my Lemurian Wizard, who rolls in suppoort role and carries tons of her own healing and energy.
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Lemurian Power Armor is the best Become device for lowbie leveling. Just use Magical Beam. o3o

Otherwise, Celestial or Doomlord.
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    1. What are the best Becomes for actually using in a mission?

It depends on how you want to play it. Become Vampire seems to have the best survivability due to it's natural regen heal, extra healing power, and healing block and a lifedrain power and best overall use but one can't attack while using the travel power (bat flight) so it has it's setbacks. It also has a dual form that lets it act like a Become Werewolf (also pretty good). In the end it is a lot of fun and feels very versatile.

Become Chaos Demon has a heal in it's block (I think) and has life drain as well and can attack while flying. Its ability to summon shadows is a fun ability as well and good for dealing with a large number of mobs. Become Mummy's ground travel power (scarab travel I think) is pretty much undetectable and an easy way to get from one point to another without dealing mobs. Its almost always cheap in the AH as well due to the different versions of it existing. I own a good number of them because of that alone.

Some of the others ones are pretty good as well. Become Celestial has a res ability. Become Black Talon is odd in that it has a lot of useful powers but it is easily outclassed at later levels to the point of becoming useless. Become Ninja is fun. The Christmas Becomes are okay but have a very limited number of powers.

Become Ghost is very limited and while alright is almost useless. Become Frank (the Frankenstein's Monster one) is utter trash though. Stay away from that one.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    lestylo wrote: »
    Become Frank (the Frankenstein's Monster one) is utter trash though. Stay away from that one.

[Become Gladiator Imperator] o3o
  • had2mergehad2merge Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    One of my alts uses this set up.

Hanna Halloween
    Silver AT The Soldier with Scarecrow costume style look.

Using Become Vampire, Ghost, Mummy, Werewolf, and Frank to change her Halloween look.

Those not aware, Become Mummy is great since it uses alot of the powers from The Scourge set up. Which is great for eatting mobs up fast. In addition, you get 2 different travel powers with this one.

Also, Become Ghost has devour essence, which heals you, while killing the baddie.

Overall, I love it!

Versitility of changing the powers you need for each situation is as easy as clicking a new Become.

Hope you find a build that is fun for you to play.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    I'd avoid become Black Talon.

In theory it has useful powers, but in the practice it doesn't work together very well. The device itself is paper-thin and very easy to kill, even with medical drones.

Become Destroid on the other hand, is very sturdy and with good dps. It has no self-heal, but I did tank alerts using this device. Plus, it has enough energy to fire all your attacks simultaneously, which is great in solo leveling, or helps in tanking.

All devices with Devour Essence power, like halloween ghosts. It's pretty self-explanatory.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Werewolf Black, since apparently the color determines its final power. It has regen, a working Enrage and does pretty decent damage overall.

Chaos Demon is pretty good especially if your character already has Concentration or even Compassion. Combine that for good AoE damage or use Life Drain and Shadow pets a lot.

Vampire has the absolute worst power placement and its transformation doesn't last long enough to enjoy, so I avoid it entirely.

Djinn and Cybernetic Ninja will need a toon with Form of Tempest otherwise your damage and usefulness will suck.

Black Talon you may need to block a lot, but using the spread fire attack, Mighty Kick to keep enemies away, and both Orbital Canon and Energy Wave to pull and dish out damage. Just block a lot and keep those Support drones up.

Ignore all holiday becomes. They are broke or otherwise worthless.

Don't use Lemurian Power armor's Containment field since it makes enemies resistant to a lot of damage since holds suck hard now.

Gladiator Imperator's Enrage is broken too. Don't bother unless you have a toon with Enrage. And no, the other powers aren't justified. Hell, Gingerbread Man has more powers than it and range attack and its still superior. Just don't use either.

Security Process is pretty decent, but you need a toon that has Concentration active first. All its attacks are Force powers but deal particle damage.

Samurai Robot is pretty and badass looking, but squishy as hell since its heal is poor performance. Again get something that has Form of the Tempest or maybe even Aspect of the Bestial if you think you can keep adding bleeds to stuff.

In analysis, all becomes need a form and the bottom power bar full IN THE LEAST (not including the form) to justify them at all. Why, Cryptic? Why have you failed becomes so hard since Resistance Command Leader?