test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Champions Online Wiki - Older Version

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
Just wanted to point out something I was told about recently and actually searched out, it's an archived version of the CO Wiki.

It's not up to date with new power additions such as New Telepathy and New Laser Sword Mini Sets BUT it does contain a large amount of information, which I have personally found useful.

So here it is:

Champions Online Wiki

I am not certain how long this will be up/active for, so those who manage the newer wiki may want to extract and update the newer one if they are able to do so with the information they can access here.

Props to aiqa for posting this on a thread way back which I managed to find!

I hope others are able to enjoy this almost lost resource! :smile:
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm personally hoping that PWE uses this opportunity to switch over to a gamepedia hosted wiki that they own (i.e. the one they have for Neverwinter). With more open editing rights (which will require a bit of policing of course, but the NW that was managed well) things might catch up and keep up at a worthy pace, especially if the old one could be used as a template / source.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    +1 for using gamepedia. Even better since I already have a curse account. It'd be nice to know if they are actually going to do something or if they aren't so we know to give up wasting our time on Cryptic. It's been a very long time since TT said they had plans.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I'd stop waiting for Cryptic. It's been long enough. A Cryptic-run CO Wiki's never going to happen. I still advise that the community works to build a new one rather than wait for something that will never come to pass.

But yeah, I've been using the Wayback Machine ever since the wiki went down.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    wikid_zpsc0ef68ce.png
    there's some hope
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2014
    And yet, no actual link exists. :rolleyes:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Because the community hasn't created Wiki yet.

But, the Wikia one has been getting some updates.
    http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Champions_Online_Wiki
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I know it'd be wrong, but I secretly wish people would just start copy-pasting the archived articles from the archived wiki to the wikia wiki.
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Likewise. A great deal of info can be found there that's still applicable and useful today.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I thought Cryptic was working on one for Arc.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I think that though has been in Cryptics mind also.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, I'd stop waiting for Cryptic. It's been long enough. A Cryptic-run CO Wiki's never going to happen. I still advise that the community works to build a new one rather than wait for something that will never come to pass.

We're trying to avoid taking on full ownership for a wiki -- there are limits to even our inhuman ability to manage sites, and that would be pushing it. That said, we're actively working to get a wiki back in place, hopefully in the same rough setup as before, where we support it but it's player-run.

We've hit some snags in the process, but we think we should be able to get the entire old wiki and then get it hosted somewhere. That's why we haven't been working on setting up an alternative/new wiki.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    That said, we're actively working to get a wiki back in place, hopefully in the same rough setup as before, where we support it but it's player-run.

That sounds great, especially being able to save the existing wealth of data, as long as its more open to editing then the prior one. Over at the Neverwinter wiki huge amounts of stuff was able to be put in because pretty much anybody could edit it, and those of us with admin powers just made sure to keep an eye out that nobody does anything crazy (with the help of the Gamepedia superadmin). It seemed a very functional approach.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We're trying to avoid taking on full ownership for a wiki -- there are limits to even our inhuman ability to manage sites, and that would be pushing it. That said, we're actively working to get a wiki back in place, hopefully in the same rough setup as before, where we support it but it's player-run.

We've hit some snags in the process, but we think we should be able to get the entire old wiki and then get it hosted somewhere. That's why we haven't been working on setting up an alternative/new wiki.

If you have the data, I'll pay for hosting and manage it. I was gonna email lohr, but I'd rather not bug her if you guys already have the info. I'd been planning on doing this for a bit now, I have experience in such things.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    If you have the data, I'll pay for hosting and manage it. I was gonna email lohr, but I'd rather not bug her if you guys already have the info. I'd been planning on doing this for a bit now, I have experience in such things.
    there is no reason you should have to pay for it, just do an Indiegogo.com for it then we can all pay. I always thought lohr should have had a way to donate as well.
    edited June 2014
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    there is no reason you should have to pay for it, just do an Indiegogo.com for it then we can all pay. I always thought lohr should have had a way to donate as well.

Oh, IDGAF. I could afford it and me hosting it could happen tomorrow rather than some odd date in the future. We need the wiki now.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited June 2014
    Well then, the volunteer has my support.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Why don't you just secure the hosting and let the players do the rest? Pick some admins from the base and step aside.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As long as the new wiki has moderators that don't remove information or items that in fact does exist in the game just because they never got a hold of said item. Not one piece of information left behind to keep all history of the game intact. Every mission, every item, every system whether there or were removed.
    edited June 2014
    IMO, the only time you should ever change info is if it's to update for evolving changes to the game. If a power gets tweaked, that sorta deal. Dunno what you're talking about, but it seems legit. A wiki is first and foremost an archive, after all.

I miss the lore pages the most, truth be told.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine