test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Requesting Brick Specific Energy Unlock

tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Suggestions Box
While I was investigating the possibility of using an Energy Unlock for my Brick framework character, I discovered that Brick does not have one.

After extensive investigation with some trial and error (mostly error!), I realized that no Energy Unlock from the other frameworks is compatible with the Brick powersets.

A secondary finding was that unless Defiance or Unstoppable are the only ways to gain energy within the Brick framework.
Which is not a practical solution, since some Brick frameworks (mine included) don't use this passive.

So, an Energy Unlock that is compatible with Earth/Might/Heavy Weapons is needed, to give Bricks a means to gain energy from using their abilities, in line with other frameworks.

And please don't discuss the merits of doing this or that, I have another thread which is covering that issue, so if you wish to discuss it, go there instead.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All the fighting forms make energy a non-issue, and at this point energy unlocks are becoming less and less of a thing. If you have CDs you cycle regularly, the often go to energy unlock is MSA (Molecular Self-Assembly) which gives energy back every time one of your CD powers comes off cool down.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    All the fighting forms make energy a non-issue, and at this point energy unlocks are becoming less and less of a thing. If you have CDs you cycle regularly, the often go to energy unlock is MSA (Molecular Self-Assembly) which gives energy back every time one of your CD powers comes off cool down.

I don't believe he uses a form. If I'm understanding him correctly, he believes that adding one to his build would detract from the number of attacks at his disposal.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't believe he uses a form. If I'm understanding him correctly, he believes that adding one to his build would detract from the number of attacks at his disposal.

He says he doesn't use Defiance or Unstoppable.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think the problem is less with bricks and more with melee in general. Ranged sets are able to build energy quickly and easily using their best moves while even Rush requires enough REC to get off an expensive Dragon attack or a few energy builder strikes first.

My archer uses MSA, which uses INT just like his form, Concentration and his passive, Quarry. He opens with Torrent of Arrows and due to the short cool down instantly has huge energy gains. Same with 2 Gun Mojo and Killer Instinct. Melee has a harder time building energy until they can close the gap, and if they can't keep their target still they're constantly running out of steam. At least that's been my experience.
    edited April 2014
    Something like this:

Mighty Impact

Tier 1

You revel in landing powerful blows against your enemies, granting you a burst of Energy whenever you Knock a target.

Requires 1 power from Might, Heavy Weapon, or Earth, or 2 non-energy-building powers from any framework.

Innate Passive
    + This power does not need to be slotted in order to function, and has no ranks.
    + Generates Energy whenever you attempt to Knock a foe.
    + The amount of Energy gains scales with your Strength statistic, but is still affected by your Recovery statistic.

I know that you aren't requesting build advice, but I posted a suggestion in your other thread that might help you make do in the short term without having to change anything but your passive.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    If you have CDs you cycle regularly, the often go to energy unlock is MSA (Molecular Self-Assembly) which gives energy back every time one of your CD powers comes off cool down.

That was the one suggestion I tried.
    IT DID NOT WORK.
    I have 3 powers that use Cooldowns, Telekinetic Maelstrom, Conviction and Landslide (Lunge power).
    I used all 3 of them, my energy level went to zero and I got nothing back in exchange.
    I then tried using them one by one, same result.
    Naturally, I immediately added that power to the list of ones never to use again, no matter what.
    So MSA won't solve the problem here, no matter how much you think it will.

And yes, I'm resistant to the idea of using Enrage or a form for the simple reason I'll have to give up one or more of my attacks.
    Otherwise I'd be open to considering it.

Each power was specifically chosen to address a certain weakness in my first Brick, so they're all used at one time or another depending on what I am fighting.

And just out of curiosity, what is a Knock power?
    The only thing I can think of is Haymaker, which sends your enemy flying back.
    Fault Line also mentions Knocking.

Looking at my powers, there's a consistent mention of Stagger for Beatdown and 4 Earth powers (not counting Land Slide, which will also Stagger if done from greater then 20 feet away).

I don't know if the other Might or Heavy Weapons powers use Stagger, but if it's universal to all Brick builds, that could be a good basis for a Brick specific Energy Unlock.
    Edit: No, they don't use Stagger.

And why can't I find hyperlinks on the wikia for Earth powers????
    Did somebody forget to include them?

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't understand how MSA doesn't work for you. I've used it very successfully on MANY toons, both melee and ranged. On a heavy weapons toon even.

Keep in mind the energy return happens when the powers cycle off cooldown and are usable again. It's not "use attack, get immediate return". So if you fire off all three cooldown abilities, yes, you'll have no energy until the cooldown timers hit 0. Then you'll get the energy kickbacks. Ideally, if you are trying for a steady flow of energy within your attacks, you'll try to time out the cooldown abilities in between your other attacks. And obviously, shorter cooldowns will trigger MSA faster, so look into getting utility gear with cooldown reduction (INT also helps reduces cooldown times, and also boosts MSA, so consider either making it a secondary SS or equip some INT in your gear).
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I checked the other powers, Heavy Weapons is based around Knock and so is Might. Neither of which is compatible with Earth, as that is based around Stagger.
    So I'm still no closer to working out what a true universal Brick Energy Unlock could be.
    kallethen wrote: »
    I don't understand how MSA doesn't work for you.

INT also helps reduces cooldown times, and also boosts MSA, so consider either making it a secondary SS or equip some INT in your gear.

That is the reason, no INT.
    Or so I was told.
    And since my build/gear needs to be focused on CON, STR and PRE, INT is not an option.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Why PRE? For boosting healing from Regeneration? I'm not sure if PRE affects it or not. (At least, the old wiki indicated that Regeneration only scales on superstats).

• Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    He says he doesn't use Defiance or Unstoppable.

Or any form at all. He says he's field tested them and figure out that it's prefereable to have none.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Granted, you don't NEED a form. I do have a healer/support toon that performs her job well without a form (not even Compassion). Forms are nice for being able to boost capabilities and having some energy returns, but they do make your powers cost more when active.

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If anything the Energy Unlock should be solely based on Recovery. Making it scale with Strength or any overused stat is a no no for balance. And a Might build SHOULD be using Recovery in their build anyways.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes, I do have to be aware of energy conservation, as one specific Earth power will consume a full bar of energy for a full maintain.
    So I'm avoiding anything that will raise energy cost.

I'm not sure if Bricks use Recovery, but I think they all use STR. Or CON.
    And balance is a bad word to use, I've seen it used too much when a player is complaining about something or other.
    Usually the context is they don't want someone to get an advantage over them in gameplay, so when I see the word Balance, I read Nerf instead.

kallethen wrote: »
    Why PRE? For boosting healing from Regeneration? I'm not sure if PRE affects it or not.

Maybe it works for Conviction.
    I was never very clear on whether it did or not.

But it can't hurt having it in the build anyway, just in case.

• Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it'd work better it it activated off a Lunge, or something else that's used by ALL melee rather than just knock attacks. Enrage and Unstoppable already offer energy on knocks, and it can result in some rather team-unfriendly builds. Let's mix it up a bit and offer melees a way to generate energy before they even reach their target rather than having to knock them around once they get there.
    Something like this:

Mighty Impact

Tier 1

You revel in close-quarters combat, granting you a burst of Energy whenever you Lunge toward a target.

Requires 1 power from Might, Heavy Weapon, or Earth, or 2 non-energy-building powers from any framework.

Innate Passive
    + This power does not need to be slotted in order to function, and has no ranks.
    + Generates Energy whenever you Lunge.
    + The amount of Energy gains scales with your Strength statistic, but is still affected by your Recovery statistic.

This helps supplement Focus/Rush users, Unstoppable users, Invulnerability users, and users of all types of melee attacks.