test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Requesting Status update on Shield Block

tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Power Discussion
I keep wondering about this, so am asking the question yet again:

What happened to the planned Shield Block power?

To remind you what is was, some time ago, Cryptic announced they wanted to do a shield block that used an actual shield, as in a metal shield.
I've no idea what they were planning, but I think it may have been something along the lines of an medieval armored knight shield or Captain America.

At the time they made this announcement, I'd just newly created a character who I wanted to have this block, so specifically made sure I left 3 points available in their spec so I could add the shield block when it became available.
Several months later, they still don't have it!

Then I created a second character who would use this Block as well and they're also waiting for it.

Does anyone know why Cryptic stopped work on this project?
Or if it's still a priority at all?

As an aside, I've noticed solid shield blocks in this game are very limited.
The majority of them are energy barriers.
The ones that aren't:

Ice Shield
Guard
Retaliation
Parry
Stone Shroud

I rejected Guard because the last time I used it, it would persist after I released the Block button.
Parry was rejected because it shuts down after you use it.
Retaliation just looks like the regular block in terms of animation.
And Ice Shield only works for Ice Elemental characters, it would look incredibly weird using it on a character who's partially on fire!

Stone Shroud was rejected because it distorts the visual appearance of the character excessively.
it basically coats you in a thick layer of dirt, making your character look like a statue made out of frozen mud!

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
Post edited by tilarta on

Comments

• bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tilarta wrote: »
    I keep wondering about this, so am asking the question yet again:

What happened to the planned Shield Block power?

To remind you what is was, some time ago, Cryptic announced they wanted to do a shield block that used an actual shield, as in a metal shield.
    I've no idea what they were planning, but I think it may have been something along the lines of an medieval armored knight shield or Captain America.

At the time they made this announcement, I'd just newly created a character who I wanted to have this block, so specifically made sure I left 3 points available in their spec so I could add the shield block when it became available.
    Several months later, they still don't have it!

Then I created a second character who would use this Block as well and they're also waiting for it.

Does anyone know why Cryptic stopped work on this project?
    Or if it's still a priority at all?

As an aside, I've noticed solid shield blocks in this game are very limited.
    The majority of them are energy barriers.
    The ones that aren't:

Ice Shield
    Guard
    Retaliation
    Parry
    Stone Shroud

I rejected Guard because the last time I used it, it would persist after I released the Block button.
    Parry was rejected because it shuts down after you use it.
    Retaliation just looks like the regular block in terms of animation.
    And Ice Shield only works for Ice Elemental characters, it would look incredibly weird using it on a character who's partially on fire!

Stone Shroud was rejected because it distorts the visual appearance of the character excessively.
    it basically coats you in a thick layer of dirt, making your character look like a statue made out of frozen mud!

Energy shield from power armor is nice because it has an advantage that turns it on when you attack. Looks good when in a fight.

Though it would be great to hear if anything was going on with those shields. If anything I bet they were put on the shelf to work on Foxbatcon.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I can't remember such an announcement. Do you have any links?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I too have been waiting for this considering that there are some "things" in the game with shield capability and the recent leak of some costume pieces into the live tailor of a Champions PnP shield wielding hero.
  • tilartatilarta Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sadly, no, I have no links.
    At least, I don't have them anymore, it was before the forums/website was all revamped for PWE/Arc functionality.
    Anything that was archived from that time period ceased to exist, as far as I know.

But as the above poster mentioned, just go into the game and you'll see the evidence for yourself.
    Those wrist mounted minishields were the start of the project, a test to see if it was possible to use it in the costume templates.

Which is why I am confused, why start work on a project, put a teaser on the live server where every player in CO can see it and then just stop with no explanation?

bwdares wrote: »
    Energy shield from power armor is nice.

Though it would be great to hear if anything was going on with those shields. If anything I bet they were put on the shelf to work on Foxbatcon.

Energy Shield, unsurprisingly, is still a non-corporeal shield.

And to the best of my knowledge, the shield block project predated FoxbatCon by several months, so there can't be a connection.
    Also, wouldn't events be handled by a different team to the one responsible for framework/power updates?

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Energy Shield, unsurprisingly, is still a non-corporeal shield.

And to the best of my knowledge, the shield block project predated FoxbatCon by several months, so there can't be a connection.
    Also, wouldn't events be handled by a different team to the one responsible for framework/power updates?

You might be ignoring the time it takes to actually program the event and get things created for the event. It is perfectly plausible that it could have been pushed back for Foxbatcon.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!