test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Warlord's Lore?

bruci8578bruci8578 Posts: 10 Arc User
Hi, I have been recolecting lore from the villains I like, but I can't find it anywhere. Who is he? A leader of a mercenary team? Just another mad man? Mabe a lonely mercenary that got paid by Viper's secret agency team? Any information about Warlord is welcome! (I mean, he isn't an original character from the Online game, right? He needs some kind of background)
Post edited by bruci8578 on

Comments

• eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Born in 1958, Roger
    Warwell has always bitterly regretted that he
    missed World War II and the Korean War,
    and was too young for the Vietnam confl ict.
    He grew up listening to his father and uncles telling
    war stories, and all he ever wanted to do with his
    life was become a soldier.

Warwell’s interest in bloodshed sometimes
    manifested itself in a violent temper and criminal
    conduct (mostly assaults). Much to his parents’
    despair, he was expelled from several schools for
    fi ghting, selling drugs, and similar antisocial behavior.
    Finally they shipped him off to military school.

At last, he was truly in his element. He took to
    military school like a fi sh to water, quickly rising to
    the top of his class and achieving high marks in his
    subjects. Th ough his record was marred by a fi stfi
    ght or two, he never got in serious trouble again.
    Th at wasn’t because he’d reformed, but because the
    discipline of military academy life taught him how
    to conceal his criminal conduct better.

Upon graduation, Warwell immediately joined
    the Marines, where again he excelled. But a budding
    military career was cut short when he was
    caught selling military weaponry on the black
    market with the help of a quartermaster. Warwell
    escaped, killing a guard and his accomplice in the
    process, and fl ed the United States to become a
    mercenary. He spent the next several years fi ghting
    for pay in the Balkans, Africa, South and Central
    America, and anywhere else his military expertise
    was needed and the money was good.

When an injury sidelined him for several
    months, he began to dabble in arms dealing again,
    and quickly found it to be far more profi table —
    and safer — than fi ghting on the front lines. Taking
    advantage of military and underworld contacts
    developed over the years, he put together a major
    black market arms smuggling and selling network,
    raking in vast profi ts from stolen military goods. As
    his fortune and power increased, he began hiring
    scientists and engineers to develop his own line of
    weapons, ones superior to standard government
    models in many ways. Soon his biggest problem
    was not being able to manufacture weapons quickly
    enough to satisfy all his customers!

For all that, Warwell might have remained
    a more or less ordinary, if powerful, underworld
    arms merchant if not for a fateful day in 1991.
    While on a combination hunting and birdwatching
    safari in the African jungle, he came across what
    he thought at fi rst was some sort of wrecked prototype
    stealth fi ghter. He revised his opinion when
    he discovered the remains of the pilot — a bluishskinned,
    red-eyed alien! Realizing he’d found the
    remains of a crashed alien starship, he quickly
    called in his troops and had the entire ship lift ed
    out of there and taken to his most private, most
    secure facility.

Aft er studying the ship for months, Warwell
    knew it was a godsend for him. With this sort of
    technological resource, he could be more than just
    an arms merchant. He could become a major military
    force in his own right, a modern-day Alexander
    capable of laying the world at his feet. He could
    become... a Warlord.

Drawing on his own abilities as a military
    systems designer and the skills of his corps of technicians
    and engineers, Warwell designed a massive
    suit of powered battle armor that incorporated
    Earth and “Blueboy” technology, and a gigantic
    fl ying, stealth technology-cloaked airship to go
    with it. Christening himself the Warlord, in 1994 he
    launched his fi rst attempt at conquest, attacking the
    nation of Vietnam. Th ough eventually defeated by
    an assemblage of various superheroes from around
    the world, he satisfi ed himself that his battlesuit
    had what it took to fi ght against the “big boys.” And
    his strong showing only attracted more customers
    eager for his ever-more-powerful weaponry. He has
    continued to spread havoc and violence throughout
    the world, oft en personally taking a hand in the
    battles and wars he foments. Th ough not as direct
    a threat to world security as the likes of Mechanon,
    Takofanes, or Dr. Destroyer, he remains one of the
    most powerful, and aggressive, supervillains in the
    world.

He also has his own villain "team" The War Machine - Warbird, Warcry, Warmonger, Warhead, Warpath

For More Check out Hero Games - Conquerors, Killers and Crooks Sourcebook
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Warlord is a worldwide villain detailed in Champions Villains Volume 1: Master Villains. He revels in the art of war and similar military procedures. He admires the great generals of old and sees himself like one. The Warlord is armed with an advanced suit of armor (not on the scale of Destroyer's but sufficiently advanced to tackle, even if only for a short time, entire groups of super heroes on his own) that incorporates both cutting-edge weaponry with alien technology("Blueboy tech"). He commands a personal army of his (of around 8 thousand agents) known as the "Shadow Army" along with a superhuman team under his orders known as The War Machine.

Did some digging.
  • bruci8578bruci8578 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Did some digging.

Ow Hi again Caliga! You should check my Warlord costume! Also, I already read that but I would like to read the full-story of it. Sadly I can't find that part "for free", and I don't really want to spend some precious money that would benefit me more than buying a book.
    eiledon wrote: »
    Born in 1958, Roger
    Warwell has always bitterly regretted that he
    missed World War II and the Korean War,
    and was too young for the Vietnam confl ict.
    He grew up listening to his father and uncles telling
    war stories, and all he ever wanted to do with his
    life was become a soldier... blah blah etc

Wow that's a lot of info, is that from Champions Villains? Or is from another official book of Champions? Thanks anyway! Also, it is true that Warlord's original armor colour was blue?
    edited April 2014
    bruci8578 wrote: »
    Wow that's a lot of info, is that from Champions Villains? Or is from another official book of Champions? Thanks anyway! Also, it is true that Warlord's original armor colour was blue?
    For More Check out Hero Games - Conquerors, Killers and Crooks Sourcebook

The Warlord’s armor is large and bulky; wearing it, he stands over seven feet tall, with a proportionately broad figure. The armor itself is a shiny steel blue, and carries an enormous number of weapons.
  • bruci8578bruci8578 Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Warlord’s armor is large and bulky; wearing it, he stands over seven feet tall, with a proportionately broad figure. The armor itself is a shiny steel blue, and carries an enormous number of weapons.

Wow thank you, so the armor is like the in-game one but blue instead of brown-red whatevercolor is it. That will help me to do the Warlord costume better, thank you! Any info about his armor is welcome too!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Note that while the original write-up for the Warlord was in Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks, that book is over ten years old, written for the Fifth Edition of the HERO System, and no longer in print (although used game-book shops may have a copy). The latest entry for Warlord, his War Machine team and Shadow Army, is in the currently-available Champions Villains Volume 1: Master Villains for Sixth Edition. That book's version of his armor and weapons has also been upgraded from the CKC version to reflect his organization's technological advances.

The "blueboys" in the crashed ship are Hzeel, an alien race which no one on Earth has heard of yet; but they've been scouting Earth secretly for decades, planning to seize it as a forward staging area in their protracted war with the Dorvalans, Ironclad's race (although the war started after Ironclad left his people, so he hasn't heard of the Hzeel either).
    edited April 2014
    I believe this is an example of the "brainfart" phenomenon. :redface: I meant to write "after Ironclad left his people," but didn't. I have now corrected the original. Thanks for pointing that out, gradii. :smile:
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ...Except quartermasters don't have control over weapons, Armorers do. More bad writing. *Sigh*. Takes about five minutes to do the research.

-general supply (except for ammunition and medical supplies)
    -Mortuary Affairs (formerly graves registration)
    -subsistence (food service)
    -petroleum and water
    -field services
    -aerial delivery
    -shower, laundry, fabric/light textile repair
    -material and distribution management

Granted, a Quartermaster (or any Soldier) can be moved to work in an Arms Room. But getting a weapon (even a rifle or pistol) out of an Arms Room is an absurdly hard task. You go through 3 different people just to get the keys.
    edited April 2014
    perhaps security increased due to actions of individuals such as Warlord and his cohort..

.. or accept in a fictional universe a term we accept for one thing may have other responsibilities. Who is to say in a smaller base that quartermaster and armory officer could not be one and the same person.

While quartermaster is generally accepted as "supply officer" today, in the Imperial Russian Army for example quartermaster was tasked with intelligence operations. In the Royal Navy quartermaster is essentially the helmsman but in harbor controls the gangway onto and off of the ship.
    edited April 2014
    perhaps security increased due to actions of individuals such as Warlord and his cohort..

Better writing would be if he were using Mortuary Affairs' caskets to send destructive devices from training ranges home.... or something like that.

Just saying. There's a reason I don't use the books. They leave a lot to be desired.
    edited April 2014
    I'm curious, cybersoldier: is there anything else about that back story, besides the quartermaster attribution, which you consider makes the writing bad?
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Person with criminal record would not be accepted into military school.
    I suppose it works in US just like it works in any other country (unless it's country like Somalia or Afghanistan, lol).

If you have criminal record, army doesn't want you. Doesn't really matter whether you were actualy sentenced, or not.
    You may manage to pass psychological tests and whatnot, but if there is any record about your criminal activities, army boys will find it.

^That's about young Warlord's criminal assaults when he was young.

Writers really should do their homework.

This "quartermaster" thing, however, it's just an wrong naming.
    This would be highly unlikely, but still possible, to steal weapons from military base. But only if corruption is really widespread, up to (and including) the base commander. Actually, in RP it would be material for a serious plot.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm hoping Warlord plays into this overarcing story that Cryptic has been doing as of late. Mostly in the form of his airship.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "Military school" is not "military", it's civilians who like to play at being military (often in ways that would cause problems in the actual military services, particularly regarding treatment of women and ethnic minorities). In fact, in the States "military school" is often seen as a way of "straightening out" bad kids. Graduating from a military school can mean preferential treatment when applying to one of the military academies in the US, although as noted any felonies on the record will pretty much kill that. (Not sure if this applies to juvenile convictions, as if the perp is not tried as an adult all such records are sealed upon reaching the age of majority.)

Now, the nature of Warrell's criminal record is not discussed in the entry quoted above; if he was never convicted in court of anything more serious than, say, misdemeanor assault or possession of drug paraphernalia, there would seem to exist no legal bar to his military service.

On a side note, during the Second Gulf War, the US Army did allow waivers for certain felony convictions, particularly the nonviolent sort, as they needed to inflate the ranks rapidly. Now that we're drawing down the forces, those personnel who enlisted with waivers are finding they're ineligible to re-enlist; further, there are more crackdowns on matters of personal appearance (new limitations on visible tattoos, for instance, or the rather controversial new guidelines for female hairstyles). You may find this useful if you want a character who was in the military, but was forced out for reasons other than serious UCMJ violations.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2014
    bulgarex wrote: »
    I'm curious, cybersoldier: is there anything else about that back story, besides the quartermaster attribution, which you consider makes the writing bad?

Hold on, I'll lay it all out for you:

Warwell’s interest in bloodshed sometimes
    manifested itself in a violent temper and criminal
    conduct (mostly assaults). Much to his parents’
    despair, he was expelled from several schools for
    fi ghting, selling drugs, and similar antisocial behavior.
    Finally they shipped him off to military school.

Bar to enlistment, in any branch... especially the Marines, which as the highest standards for enlistment. Drug involvement *might* get waivered (but selling them would not). Assault, and antisocial behavior is such a red flag that no right-minded military approval authority would ever allow this scumbag to even imagine wearing a uniform, ever- seriously, there is no 'go to the Marines or go to jail'. Not since the 1940's, and if anyone tells you they did this, they're a liar. Not to mention, 'antisocial behavior' is the actual LAST quality any service member needs. I don't care how good you are at 'combat', being an antisocial D-Bag is the fast track to nowhere.

Also, you do realize that military schools will not take certain youths, right? I mean, it's not a dumping ground for scumbags. Discipline problems are one thing. Violent drug-dealing sociopaths are completely different.

And considering what's happened this last week, 'violent sociopaths in the military' tends to be a bit of a delicate subject.
    At last, he was truly in his element. He took to
    military school like a fi sh to water, quickly rising to
    the top of his class and achieving high marks in his
    subjects. Th ough his record was marred by a fi stfi
    ght or two, he never got in serious trouble again.
    Th at wasn’t because he’d reformed, but because the
    discipline of military academy life taught him how
    to conceal his criminal conduct better.

Wait, so... discipline from a military academy (yes, I've been to one) teaches you how to 'better conceal your criminal activity'? How? This is like saying that because you learned to take really good care of comic books that you developed a knack for poetry. It makes THAT MUCH SENSE.
    Drawing on his own abilities as a military systems designer ....

Wait, what? When did he 'sprout' this ability?

Half-researched, half-though, inconsistent. Really, guys. You want to write something about the military, call a friend up who is IN the military and they'll tell you how it works.

I'll do it FOR FREE and supply you with every possible resource you could ever need.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Graduating from a military school can mean preferential treatment when applying to one of the military academies in the US, although as noted any felonies on the record will pretty much kill that. (Not sure if this applies to juvenile convictions, as if the perp is not tried as an adult all such records are sealed upon reaching the age of majority.)

Not true. These records are mandated to be available to any federal investigator/requestor, such as military recruiters.

These things tend to bother me, because 'military background' for many people tends to give them the impression they can make some violent bully out for blood. The Armed Forces is not a dumping ground for society's sociopaths, and people that are this sick in the head get filtered out quick, fast, and in a hurry. It's also kind of disrespectful when writers reach for this to make some 'militant jerk'. There's literally HUNDREDS of paramilitary organizations- Private Security Companies, Extremist Right/Left-wing groups, terrorist factions, etc.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wait, so... discipline from a military academy (yes, I've been to one) teaches you how to 'better conceal your criminal activity'? How? This is like saying that because you learned to take really good care of comic books that you developed a knack for poetry. It makes THAT MUCH SENSE.

It could simply mean that because he enjoyed the military life and the opportunity it gave him to be legally violent, he hid his true feelings. After all, the military does teach discipline and restraint, so why couldn't he apply this to controlling his more extreme tendencies? He wouldn't be the first psychopath to slip through military school. This doesn't mean that the rest of the military are like minded, but no matter how hard you try, some people will slip through.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    But it's not 'the military'. It's a military academy. Which, I've never been to one myself, but I work with two people who did- and it's pretty much the strictest, most controlled environment you can put children through. Honestly, truth be told- I don't think it's healthy for them.

Just me.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The way I interpret it as that because it was so disciplined and strict, he learnt the painful way to not show his baser instincts and trained himself to act the way they expected. He put up with it because he knew in the long run it would enable him to get into the military more easily, where he could give into his baser instincts, albeit only where permitted. He basically used the military to hone his skills so once he left, he would have the ability to use his talents to make money whilst he enjoyed killing.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]