test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Defaming people on a website

r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
Well some person made a thumblr / website including screenshots of characters of different players with character handles visible ....

below the images he is talking bad about them .. defaming and and insutling..

i tried to ask him to remove ym character handle buthe had me on ignore.. what to do?

he posted alot of names.. its some kind of witchhunt / cyberbullying...

P.S. i know who it was, i already sent a report ticket too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited March 2014
    Links or it didn't happen.

Also, if you are talking about CC Bingo, they have character handles removed.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    its not CC bingo...

sadly i could not screenshot him posting because right after i said im going to report we all got server DCED...see below

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=268201

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Kaiserin
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Linking that would be against the forum rules. There is a site and it does do that. And... I don't really care. It's not run by Cryptic and there probably isn't anything you can do about it. Check your forum PMs.

It's not bulling or a witch hunt. If you post something on the internet or in a public place, don't be surprised to be made fun of at some point.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Links or it didn't happen."
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Dont think there is much Cryptic can do if it isnt on a PWE owned site, other than send a Cease and Desist (using Cryptic Owned IP in a defamatory manner)
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure they are talking about Millenium City Walmart, a similar thing to Club Caprice Bingo but, a bit more(okay, a LOT more) blunt about it.

I've seen the OP's toon there.

And, to answer the question, lets put it this way :

CCB removed the handles to be nice about it. MCW is not nice about it. They are, technically yes, still naming and shaming, but it's not within Cryptics areas of control.

If they were to police -every single area- that could possibly contain bullying and a name, it would be impossible, dun. They can only do so on the forums, and generally it is looked down on anyways, doesn't matter where you are.

If you cannot contact them? Well, I'm pretty sure you can contact them by email...And if that don't work, just shrug, shake your head, and go back to whatever you were doing. That's about all you can do really.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Please do not post links referring to that site as it is against forum rules.

There isn't much that can be done sadly other than trying to contact them.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »
    Please do not post links referring to that site as it is against forum rules.

There isn't much that can be done sadly other than trying to contact them.

Sorry but as you see they asked fo links .. sorry :(
    And if that don't work, just shrug, shake your head, and go back to whatever you were doing. That's about all you can do really.

yeah if it was only me i would have shruged .. but ive seen it is a a lot people there so i thought i need to do something
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All of this is taking place on a website Cryptic/PWE has zero control over. You can't seriously expect Cryptic/PWE to enforce their forum policy on websites they don't own, maintain or endorse. Unless this same tumblr blog is listing and/or explaining CO game exploits there's very little(read: nothing) that they can do about it. I'm not sure what you think a ticket will accomplish.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now I want to go to this site and see if any of my toons got mentioned... :smile:

Edit: They only mock ERPers. How disappointing. I was hoping to find some wrong-headed criticism of some of my costumes!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No one on there deserves that kind of attention. Many are personal friends too which is very disconcerting to me. :mad:
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Do the site operators post their own characters to show examples of, "good characters ?"

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Do the site operators post their own characters to show examples of, "good characters ?"

It's all about being anonymous! Except when posting other people's @handles, that is.
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those sites are intentionally made to poke fun and point out bad characters/bios. Granted there is some on there that the page host feels are good by whatever their standards are, but I'm pretty sure that's few and far between. (yes I have seen both pages before out of curiosity in the past)

As far as being on it, sorry to hear. Cryptic can't do anything about stopping them, but the best thing is to just ignore it and move on because there is nothing stopping someone from posting what's considered public information (ie bios/screenshots) on your character on any non-Cryptic ran pages.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Oh, this site.
    I know them.

Sadly, there is nothing PWE/Cryptic can do about it. Well, being very headstrong at enforcing their policy probably they could (albeit that would be a huuuge stretch), but it isn't very possible without knowing who runs this blog.

Disregard it.

Also, I feel unloved. You have no idea how many times I was making toons with the finest bio worthy of both blogs... To no avail.

Honestly:

1z4d4bn.jpg
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, I mean...you created your character and wrote your character's bio for everyone to see.

Who cares if someone criticizes any of it?

Granted, I don't understand why someone would waste their time taking screenshots to post them to a site, to talk bad about some characters info.

However, as someone already said...just disregard it.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    is it the fact that they are being put on a website or using your names? I mean if you are on there and ashamed of your bio then change it. I mean I read silly bios all the time, it's nothing new. If it's not that and it's what the guy says about them....we have bigger jerks in the forums, just ignore it.

I don't think it's a big secret who has crappy bios. It's not like it's private or anything.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like that site. It amuses me. I've been checking it every so often since the last time it made its rounds on this board.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sadly, there is nothing PWE/Cryptic can do about it. Well, being very headstrong at enforcing their policy probably they could (albeit that would be a huuuge stretch), but it isn't very possible without knowing who runs this blog.

It's very easy to know who is running it, or at least one of them. On the page that shows when you go to their site there is a character that is named that they created as an uber-example of the types of toons they make fun of, basically Mary-Sues, God-Modders and (purportedly) under-age toons looking for ERP.

They even put the name of the toon, with non-sensical apostrophes in the name because, as we all know, putting apostrophes in your toons' names makes them exotic and interesting.

This toon exists...I have seen it in-game. They are not really hiding what they are doing and, tbh, I think it's all pretty hilarious. I wouldn't mind being on there...I would just give a little chuckle.

Not saying y'all have to think like me though. Each to their own. BTW, I'm thinking of changing the name of my main toon to B'ryt'anny'a :smile:

Oops...tea-time.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It seems to me that the sites mentioned are made to discriminate against characters (players) who identify or could be classified as furry or LGBT.

Which in and of itself, if PWE knew who was posting these things, would be grounds for a permanent ban to those involved.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Too bad that /ignore isn't whole internet wide...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    It seems to me that the sites mentioned are made to discriminate against characters (players) who identify or could be classified as furry or LGBT.

Which in and of itself, if PWE knew who was posting these things, would be grounds for a permanent ban to those involved.

This really does not surprise me. Got told to kill myself by some idiot in game because I'm LGBT.

The wonderful friendly community.

And yes, this is harassment, plain and simple.
  • Options
    technokitsunetechnokitsune Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I got told I'm stupid because I wouldn't give someone free money. LOL

Stop trying to win sympathy points for your little pseudo-group.

Pseudo-group? Are you an idiot? The LGBT community is a recognized movement with legitimate equality complaints. Comparing the treatment of people who self-identify with the LGBT movement with you being called stupid because you wouldn't give someone pixel money is absurd and inflammatory.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Pseodo-group? Are you an idiot? The LGBT community is a recognized movement with legitimate equality complaints. Comparing the treatment of people who self-identify with the LGBT movement with you being called stupid because you wouldn't give someone pixel money is absurd and inflammatory.

Don't feed them.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    technokitsunetechnokitsune Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No, I'm not an idiot because I know how to spell 'pseudo-' without stumbling over my own fingers. Should I create a group of people who don't like online video game panhandlers and claim to be legit? Use /ignore, let Perfect World handle it, or you can try to play the victim and insult people while misspelling your own words.

Wonderful job deflecting from the issue using my inopportune misspelling. One hundred internet points for your wit and vivacity. I will settle for knowing that you are a troll and a bigot, and good day to you.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Like you would know anything about that, zenith. LOL

Just another "everyone is saying x" troll who tries to seem legit... we all saw how that worked the last time for you b*****ds.

I have no idea what you are talking about.....care to explain or just continue to cast about vague accusations?

Feel free to tell all, I have nothing to hide. Or don't and continue to make unclear claims that mean nothing.

Your choice.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    You accused me of being a troll but I never asked you to justify such ridiculous claims.

I still don't know what you are havering about, but I don't think I need to justify it now:wink:

'night.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    edited March 2014

They even put the name of the toon, with non-sensical apostrophes in the name because, as we all know, putting apostrophes in your toons' names makes them exotic and interesting.

Non-Sensical ? who says that?

and BTW: African American names are using apostrophes .. just saying..

BESIDES that... Fantasy language such as Romulan Vulcan, , Drow and Klingon also use Apostrophes int heir names and words..

T'Pal ( vulcan ) .. or even insults... Dha'ruhd ( romulan )

Also.... who are you to judge peoples Character names?

BTW, I'm thinking of changing the name of my main toon to B'ryt'anny'a :smile:

Oops...tea-time.

*shakes head*
  • Options
    chuckwolfchuckwolf Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This really does not surprise me. Got told to kill myself by some idiot in game because I'm LGBT.

The wonderful friendly community.

And yes, this is harassment, plain and simple.

I'm in the same situation, this game has a HUGE LGBT membership and for outright bigotry to become part of it is just shameful.
    @Powerblast in game
  • Options
    grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't understand why those sites are being listed as hate sites by some people.

Yeah, it kind of stinks if your character or a friend's character gets outed for bad fashion sense or a bad bio or a bad name. But I checked and nowhere did I see anything where those sites were saying that shows an attempt to attack a group of people based on their sexual preference or nationality or anything else that would be considered a hate crime.

Going just by the Bingo place, yes they have 'bingo cards' which include a slot sometimes for furry / homosexuality. But they are not saying that just by being a furry or a homosexual is bad. They are saying that the ones which 'are' bad typically include something like that. The 'bingo card' thing is basically saying "Your character bio is bad, but even worse it is bad in typical ways."

It's like putting up a checklist of things that typically can be found in a bedroom of a typical 15 year old. Just because you have something in that list in your bedroom it does not make you a 15 year old, and just because you're 15 it does not mean you'll have everything in that list or even 'anything' in that list in your bedroom. What the list merely states is that 'most' 15 year olds will have 'most' of the things in the list in their bedroom.

As far as the shaming aspect goes... seriously, if your bio gets listed on those sites it is probably pretty damn bad. If someone had said to you sooner, "Listen, you need some help. Because this is kind of bad.." then maybe you wouldn't have gotten to the point that sites made by kinda jerky shamers could use you as a source.

I am not defending the jerkiness of the move that is what the shamers are doing, I am simply saying that it is not a hate crime and that if you're actually showing up on their sites that you may want to actually listen to the jerks long enough to figure out what you're doing wrong and then simply not do 'that' any more.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think we can all agree that discrimination is both petty and unproductive. I also think it's safe to say that we don't need a thread devoted to repeating that point over and over.

Also, the baiting and feeding in this thread is the epitome of stupid.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    grengras wrote: »
    Going just by the Bingo place, yes they have 'bingo cards' which include a slot sometimes for furry / homosexuality. But they are not saying that just by being a furry or a homosexual is bad. They are saying that the ones which 'are' bad typically include something like that. The 'bingo card' thing is basically saying "Your character bio is bad, but even worse it is bad in typical ways."
    Because you can never know if said character belongs to horny kiddo ERPing their hidden fantasies, or indeed belongs to LGBT person. Literally, like... Never. It's a generalisation, and generalisations are always hurting for someone.

In said example, if toon indeed belongs to LGBT person, it may be felt as making fun of their orientation. That's why it's best to completely ignore the whole category and don't even touch it. Like - not at all.

The same can be also said about putting 'transgender' and 'futa' into the same category.
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Non-sensical
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ur a gamma4 nerdz
  • Options
    grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'll actually agree that it would have been better left completely off.

However, I retain the position that people are pulling a 'sexual preference' card in a situation that does not warrant it.

There will always be people who are racists or purists or sexual preference-ists, but people spend so much time wasting their anger on situations which do not warrant it that it makes it harder to support them when they actually are correct for a change.

It's like how the Reverend Jesse Jackson is quick to pull the race card any time anything even remotely involves a white person and a black person. It makes it very hard to support him when he actually is right that something is racist.

If less people jumped to beliefs that anything and everything is a direct attack against their personal preferences or Ethnic backgrounds then it would make it a lot easier for all of us to stomp down hard on the situations where there truly is a wrong taking place.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    I think that's enough of that. Closing thread.
This discussion has been closed.