test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cybersoldier's 'State of the Game Forward' thing.

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I decided to take time and write a 'state of the game', but rather than continue the normal way- I want to direct this post as a 'way ahead'. I feel it's worth saying that rather than give focus to what's been done already takes away from what's really crucial- the way forward.

And don't put this in the suggestion thread. They never read that.

I'm also going to be firm and blunt with my opinions. I'm saying these things the best way I know how, and I'm honestly saying this with the best of intentions for the community, the game, and Cryptic North.

Discontinue the practice of gender-specific costumes.

I say this for a reason, and it's not because I'm a sexist or boo-hoo'ing that I can't dress in drag and I've been left out. I say this because the prospect of this comes loaded with a potential problem. Bare with me here:

Let's take a costume set- it doesn't matter which one, as long as it's for both male and females. Let's pretend you're unbiased and you have a balanced number of male and female characters/nemesis. Now, you're paying roughly five bucks for this costume that you can throw on any or even all of your characters. This is not bad- it's a solid deal. Now, let's take a gender-specific costume. And you've still got your balanced number of male and female characters, because you roll like that. You're still paying roughly five bucks, but when you break it down- You can only use it half as much as you did before.

Of course, you may be sitting and thinking 'well, if it's something I don't want, I won't buy it, no big deal'... I need to stop you. There's another issue here. See, in the military we have this thing we call the 'Good Idea Fairy'. As sweet and adorable as this little creature sounds, let me assure you- it's more like a morale-crushing gremlin from the bowels of the Hell. It crops up and appears all fine and good, and then all of a sudden- everyone suffers (See: PT Belts). How is this possible? Well, again bare with me-

As of right now some suit-and-tie guy at PWE that stares at numbers and profits and whatnot has already taken note of the sales generated from not one, but TWO gender-specific costumes. Here comes the little Good Idea Fairy to tell him that the players are willing to shill out full price for a costume that only works on female characters- which means, of course, that they can get your whole five bucks for roughly half the effort of what they normally made... which means that next costume, the Mechanized Blaster Butt Laser Armor Suit can be sold as male and female separately! SUCCESS! Well, for him, anyway. Congratulations, we're now paying full price for half of what we used to get- and regardless of whether or not you use both genders to create your characters, I get a bit miffed at not getting the 'option on the shelf' when I've paid for it, whether I intend to use that little option or not. I may not eat but half the fries in my combo meal- but don't think for a second I won't notice if you've only given me half of what I paid for and then come crashing through the door like the Kool-Aid man on bath salts.

Please take some time and refine the material options for all costume parts.

As it stands, many pieces are still 'metal-only'. While it may sound trivial to some, it can very much throw off the look of a costume, especially given CO's lighting (put a metal part on a costume and go to Canada and all of a sudden you're Chrome). This increases the versatility of the pieces we already have, and leaves no one concerned that a newly-unlocked piece that they've put their time and effort into unlocking is worth using.

I feel it is important to commend Cryptic North for taking the time to do this with some of the other pieces, and I would like to see this upgrade done throughout all the costumes, as well as the weaponry. As carbon and polymer weapons become more commonplace and shiny steel becomes a thing of the past, I feel it's a good idea to take this into consideration.

Cycle through the entire buffet of costume parts, give us the three material options, and I'll be pleased.

Weapons Overhaul.

Weapon powers are quite prevalent in CO, and I think it goes without saying that weapon-using heroes are all over comics. Swords, hammers, bows, pistols, rifles, and ray guns are a staple of comics' lore and some characters revolve around their weapon- or arsenal thereof. That being said, no one can deny that a massive number of options is a bad thing.

However, when it comes to 'wearable' weapons like strapped swords and holstered pistols, things seem a bit lacking. A cursory look shows that most 'wearable' weapons are the most basic and generic offerings from the actual 'usable' items. As cool as it would be to have weapons that 'holster' or 'sheath' like other MMORPG's, I'd rather not buck the system too much. What I ask is a bit more simple- Just give us a few more options.

For some of them, most of the work has been done. The smallest contemporary SMG could easily be a 'Pistol' as well- especially since its animation is weird and the muzzle hovers over the character's empty hand. The Cyberninja sword as a weapon option is far too obvious, and it is shamefully wasted on a be-critter and inaccessible. There should be a smaller variant of the Robot Samurai sword. Viper Squad leaders and Tartrapper mobs use a handgun that would be a welcome addition to the arsenal. The Viper soldiers have a great weapon that could work as a rifle, SMG, laser rifle, or even a shotgun for the imaginative gun-user. If the model is already there, use it for everything you possibly can.

Even more welcome would be the addition of new pieces- both worn and usable. An easy sell would be a new melee and ranged weapons pack, especially with the inclusion of new heavy weapons and claws. A smart sell (provided you had enough of each) would be to make a bow set, a munitions set, a melee sword set, and a heavy set. However, you could alternatively make 'theme' weapon sets- alien weapons, hi-tech weapons, tactical weapons, mythical weapons, and so on and so forth. With the inclusion of these new weapons to use with the powers, should also be 'wearable' versions of those weapons- as well as things like throwing knife holsters, magazine pouches, sheathes, and things of that nature. The weapon isn't just a tool for a comic character- it's part of his style. Cater to all combat styles, as well as themes- and you couldn't go wrong here.

While you're here, utilize the newly-arrived category 'belt accessory' to its full potential for weapons.

Get new merch at the Recognition vendors.

Right now, the Recog vendor is like the Ghetto K-Mart, with items in stock that've been peg-warming the shelves for far too long and no one cares about them. This is the ideal place to put the weapons taken from the pre-Alert days that came with power replacers.

Not to mention, the Recog vendor could be used to hold other costumes that are no longer available for whatever reason. Alternatively, older C-Store costumes could be sold 'piecemeal' at the Vendor.

Skins for existing costumes

I bought something with some Silver Champions recognition, some kind of Lemurian Empyrian construct thing for one of the torso armors. I kind of shrugged, but then realized that this was an under-used idea.

While most of the tights are pretty much simply reskins with texture options, I think this is something that could be used and marketed toward players. Without making a completely new model, many existing costume pieces could be 're-patterned' to create something new and different. While it's far too easy to see two dozen players with the same helmet, diversifying the actual 'skin' of that helmet could re-utilize an older costume part and require much less developer effort.

Vehicle skins

I have to be completely honest, Cryptic- you dropped the ball when it came to vehicles. This was a half-baked idea that was sold on misleading preview information. First and foremost, we launched headfirst into flying vehicles without the actual capability to create ground-based vehicles that most of the players had hoped for. Not only this, but nearly every CO player thought they'd be able to get a vehicle and at least color the model to match their own costumes and immerse the vehicle into the character's persona. We were told we would have 'limited' customization, and a direct quote was 'not as much as a character'-and now we have NONE.

There's no real way to play ignorant to the fact that this was a PWE idea to make a buck selling the different colored models. So, then perhaps the solution to this problem is to 'make a buck another way that makes more people happy'.

Sell vehicle skins. I realize it'd be impossible to make every vehicle have every conceivable pattern, but at least a variety in coloration would be welcome. Give players an opportunity to purchase, for about the price of a C-Store costume, a 'skin' pack that applies a few color combos to the vehicle. This way, players can have 'limited' customization as opposed to 'none at all'.

Make more community-generated content.

I have to say, I enjoyed the 'Nemesis Contest'. Despite the long wait to create the Fire and Ice Rampage Alert, the others were pretty cool. It's a good idea to see something different than the standard package deal of Cryptic's character handiwork- because, let's face it, you guys are terrible with body proportions.

I say we should have a yearly contest of this variety. Only this time, give other players some incentive to attack these Alerts. Perhaps create a 'new' costume part drop, or even a potential to drop a costume part used in the Nemesis character's design that may exist in another set. Either way, this sort of contest was a great idea and I'd love to see it again.

Why not hold a contest to redesign a particular mob? You don't even have to use the whole model submission, just perhaps take the one you'd like to steal the most inspiration from and credit the player who submits it. Or perhaps give a base template and guideline for the boundaries in which you'd like the players to work, and let things go from there.

Not only that, but hold contests for other things that a player can win- and the community can reap the benefits of. This community is a creative one, and you'd be insane to not tap that creativity to use to your advantage. You literally have players lined up and hurling free ideas at you, ideas you can legally profit from without giving any monetary dividend to the players. Most players are just really happy to have something they made be a permanent part of the game.

The Nemesis system is an eyesore.

Take a look at it, and tell me otherwise. While it's kind of fun to do Nemesis Alerts and Nemcon, this entire mission set and idea is completely wasted and one of two things needs to happen.

Just put it out to pasture, and free up some space. It's mostly pointless. Sure, some people bellow about 'removing content', but I'm on the honor system here and thinking you'd replace it with something else.

The other option is to fix it. You keep saying you won't, or have no plans to- but one of the original big selling points was this very system, and the only thing more disappointing is seeing Tara Reid topless for the first time.

I won't tell you how to do this, because people have constantly offered ideas. A good start would be customizable minions. I'd even say the simplest solution is to give the players options to choose an 'Enemy Organization' like Viper, Dogz, Argent, or something- and use the lore for those organizations to crank out a 'Nemesis Story'. Let the characters create a Nemesis that suits the organization and they'll be an operative or agent or acolyte or whatever you want to call them. Sure, it makes them seem like 'glorified henchmen' when you think about it negatively, but in the end they're doing what you're doing- attaching themselves to a group to gain prestige and achieve their goals. You joined forces with PRIMUS, and Nemesis McDoodoofist joined Viper. Simple solution, and it's a hell of a lot better than what we have now.

Re-engage your community.

This is where you failed the worst. Cryptic North took the reins and it took forever to hear one peep or one greeting for you to introduce yourselves and tell us you were happy to be working on CO. It sent the impression that you didn't care about the game or the community, and I'm just being honest. The other forumites may heap praises and defend your honor, but I believe the greatest thing you can do for another person is tell them what they need to hear and don't pull your punches.

Now that you're here? Look at the UNTIL field report. It was discontinued because it 'gave players a sense of false promises' because 'some things didn't turn out as planned'. Sure, fine, okay- I'll buy it, because I understand and that makes sense. It kinda did, and both sides are to blame in some ways.

Then do something else with it. Use it to reach out to your community. Stop making it about what 'might happen', and make it more about what 'has happened'. Use it as an 'After Action Report'. If you cover the process of creating new content and goodies after the fact, and explain some things- like being unable to include something seen in concept art or something of that nature- it gives players a peace of mind. You could use this to address player concerns about things like new Rampages and Missions, and get feedback from them to continue refining your product- remember the significant majority of your playerbase is unable to access the PTS, hence why it 'all goes wrong when it all goes live'.

You have to start listening to your community feedback, because this community is tired of reporting the same bugs, problems, and concerns repeatedly.

Keep an updated 'Bug List'.

Make a massive list based on players' reported bugs. Go down that list and kill those bugs over time. Keep the list updated. This is crucial, because players send up the same complaints time and time again, and each time a developer or community rep actually takes the time to acknowledge the complaint publicly, it's as if it's the first anyone's ever heard of it.

No one is expecting you to fix this overnight. No one is asking you to set a time limit on this. All the players want to see is some progress. And this goes right back to convincing us that you love this game as much as we do.

Overall? This is just my two cents on where you're at, and I can't really control where you're headed- but I'll be damned if no one says I didn't give you a nudge and try. I really like CO, and I want to see it go on for years to come.

And yeah, I can come off like a jerk. But that's fine with me. Ever watched the first few episodes of American Idol? You know, the ones with those people who are terrible and go on national television and embarrass themselves? Those people didn't have a jerk in their lives to tell them what they needed to hear, and now look at them, crying. Everyone heaped praises on them, despite them needing someone to tell them 'this is screwed up, you need to work on it'. It would have saved them a lot of trouble.

You're welcome.
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I want a Mechanized Blaster Butt Laser Armor suit. And I want it to be unisex.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I couldn't find anything to disagree with in all that... well said Cyber.

/signed
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It isn't clear whether you want them to make all parts available to both gender models, or if you want them to only make parts that are aesthetically gender neutral. I would prefer the former to the latter.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It isn't clear whether you want them to make all parts available to both gender models, or if you want them to only make parts that are aesthetically gender neutral. I would prefer the former to the latter.

What I'm saying is, like... take the Harajukiwhatever thing, right?

Instead of making it a 'female-only' costume, the simple solution would have been something like a 'Japanese Modern Style Youth' costume, with a male t-shirt and hairstyle, perhaps some pants and shoes.

In other words, if you're selling a wedding dress- you ought to offer a tuxedo or a suit with it.
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How about this:

Wedding dress parts for both, and Tuxedo parts for both. You might be surprised at what you can come up with when you use those parts in unorthodox ways. Lace, for example is a good look for ice builds, regardless of gender expression. Flowers work well for plant themes. Skirt meshes can be retextured as a fauld, or function as the lower half of a long tunic.

Most often I feel like the female model gets the short end of things. The shared parts tend to default to male, with female as an afterthought, or in some cases they are omitted entirely, without explanation. The femme parts being female only doesn't really compensate for the problem, rather, it extends the problem to the male model.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What I'm saying is, like... take the Harajukiwhatever thing, right?

Instead of making it a 'female-only' costume, the simple solution would have been something like a 'Japanese Modern Style Youth' costume, with a male t-shirt and hairstyle, perhaps some pants and shoes.

In other words, if you're selling a wedding dress- you ought to offer a tuxedo or a suit with it.

see, in city of heroes this led to a problem with the community. it was perceived that men were getting the "tough" costumes whereas women were getting the sexy ones. Cue massive angry threads, lots of accusations of sexism, good times were had by all and the usual suspects acted like the usual suspects, even the lead character art designer got involved and an eventual compromise that wasn't really a compromise. they slowed the production of costume sets to make male and female versions of all the new sets, and the character designer just made female versions of the male stuff, so women got both sets and the guys got the one set(specifically the steampunk and gunslinger sets) Now i'm cool with that really , fair or not the societal view is women can wear mens clothes but guys get a bit of a weird eye for the other way around, and the devs have to make stuff that people want to put on their characters, but its still going to be an uneven number of costume pieces regardless if you think in terms of value for your male characters and female character separately. so yeah, the idea really deosnt stand up in execution.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So your solution is to make a costume for one gender, and everyone else... STFU?

Sorry, but 'no solution' is not a solution.
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dat OP. The entire post gets this:

dwight-schrute-celebration-jump.gif

Double that for the material options suggestion, triple it for the weapons overhaul.

(And a secret fist-pump for what I know you wanted to mention--enough magic/fantasy stuff already.)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So your solution is to make a costume for one gender, and everyone else... STFU?

Sorry, but 'no solution' is not a solution.

no, i was highlighting that the whole make 2 costume sets thing was already done and it brought down hell and fury, you are welcome to try again but while the co community lacks some of coh's more "special" members it still is going to attract people who will say that the different outfits are sexist in one way or another, and they will snowball in their own cloying self righteousness. heck, the possibility exists that in some cases they might even have a point.tha cryptic decides to do a hard armor set for male characters could be a chain-mail bikini for women, and that would be its own set of issues.
    I you can feel free to disregard the warning, but your solution has that vulnerability, if you dont want to hear it, its on you, but the past indicates that the solution is more complex than just saying a male exclusive costume and a female exclusive costume will solve the perceived inequity.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »

I hear your point- and no, not all costumes will be 'the same', I get that. Some pieces will have to be 'different but similar'.

But the 'female only' and 'male only' set problem is going to continually irritate people.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I hear your point- and no, not all costumes will be 'the same', I get that. Some pieces will have to be 'different but similar'.

But the 'female only' and 'male only' set problem is going to continually irritate people.
    Well, i don't know if yous aw my post in the other thread, but i'm thinking a better way to look at it is part counts. if a set is gender locked, to be worth the cash it needs to have double the options to be worth the same price. I haven't worked out the number yet, but it makes sense, while not every part costs the same time to make, we can generally say that for a set price we expect a set number of items, that can be male jacket 1 and female jacket 1 or it can be female jacket 1 and female jacket 2, but that seems the most rational way to look at it. from my admittedly occasionally non rational view :P

i guess my goal is that some gender specific outfits look cool, and not making them because of an inflexible equality doctrine is limiting, if we can get agreeable male and female variants that would be nice, but invariably some male piece is going to look awesome for a female character too(or possibly the other way around too), and its going to bug me that i arbitrarily cant use it because we had to play 50/50 so that is my dogs in the fight. I just think the parts per zen view covers it best. you cant say you were cheated because you still got 30 parts, whether you have characters that can use it or not is up to you.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can put up with a piece of gender only cosmetics once every couple of years, particularly when we're finally getting a steady supply of C-store costume sets. Magical girls aren't my thing, but I'm glad fans of this particular anime sub-genre are getting a little love.

I do hope that this is the last gender-specific set for awhile.

More material options... they've made some progress in the last six months. More would be welcome.

And you know my feelings on Nemesis. If you don't, I give up. (It's been that kind of a day).
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They have the tech, I's NW costuming.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yes, I've seen the difference between male and female clothes/armour in NW.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If I buy a costume set, its worth doesn't change depending on gender. You give the example of "A 5 dollar costume set that is only for girls can only be used half as much if I have an even number of male and female characters". That's only true if you intended to use that costume set on each and every single one of your characters. I dunno, maybe every time you buy a costume set you stick it on every single one of your characters, but I don't think most people do that.

The costume pieces of the set are added to your general pool of costume parts, which you will then use here, there, now and then.

Personally, I like how magical girl clothes look on boys... some of my favorite animes have boys in frilly outfits in them ^_^
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    If I buy a costume set, its worth doesn't change depending on gender.

I'd say that's a matter of perspective. This one's pretty darned worthless to me.
    .... You give the example of "A 5 dollar costume set that is only for girls can only be used half as much if I have an even number of male and female characters". That's only true if you intended to use that costume set on each and every single one of your characters...

Incorrect. Let's assume I am a Silver. I have two characters. One male, one female. This costume is worth half as much. Why? I can only use the pieces on ONE of my characters, rather than both. Other costumes may have shoes that I'll use here, gloves there, a mask here, so on and so forth. Gender-exclusive means my five bucks is better spent on something I get get more use out of for what I have.

I dunno, maybe every time you buy a costume set you stick it on every single one of your characters, but I don't think most people do that.

No, but I use a costume set's pieces on several characters.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, but I use a costume set's pieces on several characters.

Which is why you can't base the value of the set on all of your characters. You may or may not use the pieces on any given character, meaning that the gender is less of a factor in the valuation of the costume set than the theme of the character. We can't even know the value of the set in regards to your male characters because we don't even know if the theoretical male costume pieces would even fit any of your characters' themes. Effectively, the value of the set to any given individual if it theoretically had male pieces is unknown; potentially higher yes, but not absolutely so.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The problem w/ the gender-specific argument is its founded on players having a good mix of male and female toons- that's not always the case, and CN risks losing some potential customer purchases if they decide to make a costume set for only one gender. Ultimately its on us to 'vote' w/ our purchase decisions, but a new set can be 'half-assed' in ways other than only needing to be modeled for one gender. I mean, being gender-specific can be an issue- but one of many.

(I back you thoroughly on the 'metal-only' topic, btw; that's turning in to a pet peeve of mine as far as character creation >< )
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    The problem w/ the gender-specific argument is its founded on players having a good mix of male and female toons- that's not always the case, and CN risks losing some potential customer purchases if they decide to make a costume set for only one gender. Ultimately its on us to 'vote' w/ our purchase decisions, but a new set can be 'half-assed' in ways other than only needing to be modeled for one gender. I mean, being gender-specific can be an issue- but one of many.

I voted with my wallet again. Just like I did last time.

Mind you, I've purchased costume sets that 'look cool', and have yet to use them.

flowcyto wrote: »
    (I back you thoroughly on the 'metal-only' topic, btw; that's turning in to a pet peeve of mine as far as character creation >< )

I've been begging for this since I started playing. It still baffles me why the material option isn't a standard option for everything. Nothing irks me more than getting a costume like 'Steel Commando' chest that looks insanely cool, but is ultimately useless to me because of the metal problem.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It still baffles me why the material option isn't a standard option for everything

This has always bothered me too. Surely cloth/leather/metal should be the options for ALL parts.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods