test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Snow Storm

superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Power Discussion
Am I correct that the Snow Storm power from Ice does not debuff Perception?

I was confused on the PTS when I tested a build with it... I had hopes it worked like the power Nimbus and Freon have... but it did not seem so. Indeed, neither the Wiki nor the tooltip mention a perception debuff, but I wanted to ask just to be sure.

This leaves me to wonder if it was nerfed sometime ago or if has always been this way.
The only advantage of it relative to Lightning Storm is that it does not lock you down and it costs less, since the damage is really much lower:

Lightning Storm (Rank 3)
+ 284 Electrical Damage per .5 sec
+ 81 Electrical Damage (arc effect)

Snow Storm (Rank 3)
+ 128 Cold Damage per 1 sec

:confused:

Post edited by superalfgorn on

Comments

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Enemies have a different power, including some master villain mobs.
    Snow storm persists after the maintain, unlike Lightning storm, by the way.

After a full maintain, the snow will go on for another 2 or 3 seconds.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So you get 2/3 free bonus seconds, that's interesting. Combined with the mobility and lower cost it might be useful for the character I'm designing. TY

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's not so much that snow storm was nerfed in that other powers were added and adjusted post launch while snowstorm was never properly addressed (like much of the ice set actually). The perception debuff "snow storm" you're looking for is used by the arctic pet at rank 3.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Am I correct that the Snow Storm power from Ice does not debuff Perception?

I was confused on the PTS when I tested a build with it... I had hopes it worked like the power Nimbus and Freon have... but it did not seem so. Indeed, neither the Wiki nor the tooltip mention a perception debuff, but I wanted to ask just to be sure.

This leaves me to wonder if it was nerfed sometime ago or if has always been this way.
    The only advantage of it relative to Lightning Storm is that it does not lock you down and it costs less, since the damage is really much lower:

Lightning Storm (Rank 3)
    + 284 Electrical Damage per .5 sec
    + 81 Electrical Damage (arc effect)

Snow Storm (Rank 3)
    + 128 Cold Damage per 1 sec

:confused:

If you want the ice version of lightning storm you need to look at avalanche.

Also, the adv on snow storm can make it a a lot more effective then then what its base damage does. And of course it lasts for twice the duration you maintain it.

Of course this doesn't mean the power is any good, just not as bad as those number make it out to be.
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    aiqa wrote: »
    If you want the ice version of lightning storm you need to look at avalanche.

Also, the adv on snow storm can make it a a lot more effective then then what its base damage does. And of course it lasts for twice the duration you maintain it.

Of course this doesn't mean the power is any good, just not as bad as those number make it out to be.

Yep, Avalanche is the ice version of Lightning Storm; Snow Storm is something else. Superalfgorn also omitted the energy costs behind those damage numbers. Avalanche and Lightning Storm have comparable cost and damage. Snow Storm not only procs at half the rate but its cost is also much lower.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a glacier, I can say that Snow Storm does not give the perception debuff. It is also your main DPS source until Avalanche comes around (I can maintain both Snow Storm and Avalanche full duration usually.. and yes, my equilibrium is VERY low), unless you chose Frost Breath. Snow Storm's advantage to deal damage to enemies when they attack (on top of the DoT it does) makes this even more true.
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!