What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Costume Contests. Dont Bother

2»

Comments

• tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    why did he mention someone in particular? (don't bring it up again if he did just asking)

To be fair, OP called out a SG. Didn't say the name, but we knew whom he meant.

In the meantime...I found that turnout at Costume Contests seem to have increased.

It used to be that attendance trailed off after the 6:30 PST CCs, because of bedtime.

Now...attendance remains the same, I was in a 10:00 PST which was still packed.

Despite OP's intention, I think people ARE bothering with CCs.

At the very least, they at least bother enough to decide for themselves. That's great.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is probably a pretty common practice, in my imagination. Sometimes, a CC will be made amongst a supergroup (or more likely multiple ones to ensure it's plausible that they're disconnected), and the same users would get picked, but the regularity of the contests brings attention to that contest provider, and gets them trusted by the community.

That said, I have no proof, and in honesty, my gut feeling is unfounded conjecture based on badly recorded observations, and as such has no integrity before inspection.
    That said, it's the same with any contest in any game. It's never going to be fair in a way you can trust.

However... It's like a lottery. And I'm sure everyone who plays Champs enjoys lotteries and random chance by now, am I right? You're never going to know whether it's a fair CC or not, but spin that wheel and see where it lands, since you might get enough to win...

A NEW (hover)CAR!

... Okay, the Internet is making me reference the references to old game shows that Internet reviewers make reference to. I need to stop my internetting right now.

In summary, I say the rotten CCs are fewer than the sheer honest ones that exist, and if not, well, that's everyone who doesn't bother's fault for not creating enough of their own honest ones to compete.

Try to do your own CC, folks reading this who haven't, if you've never tried to before. It's a little bit of effort to do something that entertains others in such a way, but it's definitely more rewarding than any Alert. You could say that it gives you epic mental loots, as the vernacular goes.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • swedsandbroswedsandbro Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Or perhaps same people usually wins because they are good at making costumes, go figgure. But yeah, I admit it's much cooler with your conspiracy theory, obviously people doesn't win over you because of their own merrits, but because there's a deeprooted system of shady figgures working against you.
  • hexsinghexsing Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok...so I went to another last night. Not with the hopes to win, but because some of my SG mates wanted to go. I was there with three members of my SG, and 2 friends.

So when the judges were looking at costumes, I went AFK, grabbed a brew and junk like that. When I got back, my friends were PMing me and we were all chatting in a channel.

Without looking at any of the peoples costumes, we were able to come up with the names of the winners...with the exception of two people.

I said "This person's gonna win" and my SG mate said no. I asked her why and she said "Oh she won last night".

I get that costumes are some peoples endgame, and that is exceptable. I applaud that...but we should not be able to name the names of the winners without seeing their costumes.

Overall, I stopped caring, I just find it odd. I remember when I started in Beta, and things were different. It was social, and it was cool to see peoples costumes. People would win, people would lose, and there will always be sore losers.

As for me, I was more curious about the same people winning. Someone asked what the benifit would be for someone recycling G to their members to host CC's. The truth of it is that they do foster good community spirit...which I think is positive.

Attend them if you find them fun. I do on occasion just because it's a nice break, but to be honest...I should not be able to fly to a square, check who is in the room, and know who is going to win.

My character is a telepath/Precog for RP purposes...but I aint.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old time member. I miss NERF :eek:
    edited September 2013

(OP marked down the @handles when they won. But how about when they lost?)

Actually...yes. I did mark down the winners when they lost. See my above post. My SG mate noticed it to when I said a specific toon was going to win. I was not there for the previous CC, and when I said that she would win, my SG mate said that she won last night. So it would be weird if she won again.

I am leaving this be. I mean people love CC's and they are good for the spirit of any superhero game. I would just tell new players, or old alike, to go in with a grain of salt, socialize, have some fun, but that's about it.

So have fun. I was simply pointing out that if you need a break from alerts or if you want to just chill OOC style then they are fun. But, they are most definately an aquired taste, especially from an Old Cox Player who hosted many a CC in her life. Sure there would be a few people who would win different catagories and might have been the same people, but in the overall it was less predictable.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hexsing wrote: »
    I said "This person's gonna win" and my SG mate said no. I asked her why and she said "Oh she won last night".

This is the kind of attitude that seems to be in most who can't bare to lose. Just because someone won last night doesn't mean they will the next day. Each judge has their personal taste and style they are looking for, not one are the same. It is just mere coincidence if they won back to back.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited September 2013
    Certainly not saying they can't win. It was just comical that she said it. Followed by "She's not on rotation tonight"

Sure it might be bad spirit on our part for making that type of comment.

Again...it's not important to me anymore. I still stick by what I have said and observed, but if people are having fun attending and socializing then that is amazing.

I personally will attend here and there. No harm in it. But mainly to just hang out with people and meet new folks. I never care about winning, I mostly just like the trivia and witty banter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And i can tell allmost every time in advance when i gonna win.
    But then again, i have dozens of kickass costumes and in league with the devil.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, I've been to three CCs lately, and Entropy won two of them. He was obviously cheating by creating such a freaking awesome costume! (Seriously - he even figured out a way to make one of the patterns look like a starfield.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I remember when I started in Beta, and things were different. It was social, and it was cool to see peoples costumes. People would win, people would lose, and there will always be sore losers.

CCs are still social and we still love seeing other people's costumes. People still win, people still lose, and it appears that we still have sore losers :wink:

Out of interest, what SG are you in?
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been to three CCs lately, and Entropy won two of them. He was obviously cheating by creating such a freaking awesome costume! (Seriously - he even figured out a way to make one of the patterns look like a starfield.)

What a ba***rd ! XD
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited September 2013
    I don't think it wise to mention my SG name. We still have members who relly enjoy the CC's and New members who like to attend, I don't want to impact their good time, nor effect their chances at possibly winning.

Many CoX refugees who bring good RP to the table. I want them to have fun, and not leave
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• genuinex015ugenuinex015u Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    SODLAG!!!

HAI May and Mill and sodlagers in disguise with the thingymajiggy forum names.

Random Thought....

Come and check out my toons here!! http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=221551

And for my artworks, check it out here!!http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=223681
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ...I don't think it wise to mention my SG name.....

Yet you felt the need, in your opening post, to mention the SG that I am in and link them with dubious behaviour in CCs............
    What I have found is the same @
    names win all the time. Now if they were brilliant costume designers I would say ok...but they aint. Second, there is a super group. The extinguished group of women and men folk, that dominate. Often with the same @
    addresses.

Don't bother folks. It is a hoax. I have been recording the winners. 2 people chosen are different people, and the rest are the same.

......you maybe slightly disguised the name of my SG, but those who play enough know who you were talking about.

You come on to the forums crying conspiracy and slandering groups who go to, and host, CCs yet you don't have the courage to identify yourself. Fair enough....you don't have to, but your pre-cognitive chats with your "SG mates" are sounding fishier by the minute.............

......I cry shenanigans right back at you.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Rigged events? Never happen? Not true. I don't think it happen often because usually people find out about it that is the end of their CC judging career on wide spread market. And yes I have seen some people go through the trouble of doing a CC to give their friend money. On the surface it makes no sense, but remember some people love the spotlight.

Me personally, I don't enter contests but I do attend them and most of them about at least 98% seem legit so far. Me I don't give a rat's butt what other's think of my costume and standing on a square being judged is not my type or definition of "fun" and "socializing" one single bit. But there is a lot of socializing that goes on and thus I go to socialize with people and read their bios.

But this got me curious. Between now and say, Week? 10 costume contests? What would be a decent sample number that don't take a whole year? Maybe ten random ones and see. I'll attend and note down the winners and categories.

I have nothing to gain nor lose, and don't care who wins and never try to win myself. Just curious to see if this rigging is as rampant as some say it is.

You know on a side note, here they have a best DJ radio contest about once a quarter. At one point in time, one DJ been winning all the time every year for the past 8 year. Some say it's because he's a famous LA transplant, some say because he is friends with the judges. Maybe he is just a step above the rest and just that good. But in the end people and DJs stopped bothering to enter. So you know what they did? They chose judges at random instead of using the same judges over and over. Know what happened? The same DJ is going on his tenth time in a row win.

Maybe the people that win over and over are that good and since they are that good, they are known and since they are known it's easier for them to win. Or maybe they are just that good.

Rigged or not, I can see how it can be discouraging if the same person win over and over. It's easy to say 'Oh just up your game." and dismiss the complaint. Remember we all are humans and different things bothers us at different time and just as most of you wouldn't like your complaint immediately being dismissed as "whining" it's not wise to do it to someone else. Because truthfully some people that is dismissing the complaint have made some complaints of their own on this very forum and got pissy when someone told them to quit whining. Ain't calling out any names but you know in your heart who you are.

Anyone else want to join me, to make sure we get accurate, unbiased data and put this to rest once and for all?