test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why do I get aggro?

forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Power Discussion
I have done some alerts with my now level 20 fire toon.
I have
Throw Fire R2:eek: - Ok I screwed up I meant to get something else to R2 but pressed the wrong tab
Fireball R2 w unstable accelerant
Conflagration R3
Thermal Reverb
Fire shield
Defiance R2
Fire Snake R2
Conviction - I was planning to get Concentration but forgot

Stats are so far Dex/Con/End I'll change the whole build most likely as I get used to the set

Why the hell does Nighthawk go for me in preference to a level 30 something and a 27 why me?
I don't even have a gorram form how can I possibly do more damage than other builds?
Why is this happening?
It happened last night/early morning too - Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy:confused:

Please notice also the superb build strategy.
Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
Post edited by forrksakesexco on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Because you're the first one to attack? Fire has a lot of damage in it? Even when subpar you're still better then the craptastic average of most players?

Take your pick.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you're build is crit-based, and you're debuffing mobs with both Unstable Accelerant and Fire Snake before Conflag'ing them, you're doing A LOT of fire damage to multiple mobs at once. You're going to get aggro, especially in Alerts.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    helbjorn wrote: »
    If you're build is crit-based, and you're debuffing mobs with both Unstable Accelerant and Fire Snake before Conflag'ing them, you're doing A LOT of fire damage to multiple mobs at once. You're going to get aggro, especially in Alerts.

Well I suppose that makes sense, wierd tho to be grabbing aggro from higher level toons like that.
    No form, no offensive passive you'd have thought I'd have difficulty bringing enough damage to an alert not too much.:biggrin:

Oh and Fudgemonsta I will take the third option - it panders to my ego:biggrin:
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dps roles offer threat reduction in superstats.

Hybrid and Tank role do not.

I will assume you run in Hybrid role for "more damage." This is your downfall at lvl 20. Tanks will do less damage, but also receive a bit less threat as well unless built for it.

I will also assume you are running all 6 pieces of your heirloom/armadillo/cyber set, making your superstats the highest possible in alerts. This will raise your damage well above the "average" player, causing your to grab agro since you have no threat reduction. And since you indeed have no threat reduction, it will be close to impossible to lose agro once you get it.

Suggestion: Offensive passive to use Ranged Dps role for threat reduction...or Evasive Maneuvers-adv, Smoke Grenade-adv, Palliate, or Ego Placate (not tested that last one myself, but figured I'd throw it out there).

Also remember the majority of people that run Alerts are scared to death of dying...I dunno why, they just are. They will do anything...or even "nothing" to grab agro...so a fire toon in hybrid role is easy pickins for those guys to let have agro.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ajanus wrote: »
    Dps roles offer threat reduction in superstats.

Hybrid and Tank role do not.

I will assume you run in Hybrid role for "more damage." This is your downfall at lvl 20. Tanks will do less damage, but also receive a bit less threat as well unless built for it.

I will also assume you are running all 6 pieces of your heirloom/armadillo/cyber set, making your superstats the highest possible in alerts. This will raise your damage well above the "average" player, causing your to grab agro since you have no threat reduction. And since you indeed have no threat reduction, it will be close to impossible to lose agro once you get it.

Suggestion: Offensive passive to use Ranged Dps role for threat reduction...or Evasive Maneuvers-adv, Smoke Grenade-adv, Palliate, or Ego Placate (not tested that last one myself, but figured I'd throw it out there).

Also remember the majority of people that run Alerts are scared to death of dying...I dunno why, they just are. They will do anything...or even "nothing" to grab agro...so a fire toon in hybrid role is easy pickins for those guys to let have agro.

I know I was running hybrid and offensive stances in alerts and still grabbing aggro, but I did have the gear (2GM and Lead Tempest in use) and AO's, and would still grab aggro all the time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh and Fudgemonsta I will take the third option - it panders to my ego:biggrin:

Stacking Ego too will give you much more damage, thus making threat. :tongue:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    And that makes the most sense, not my awe inspiring (ha ha) dps but a flaw in my build strategy generating more threat than some others who build properly.

I don't mind aggro and possible death as a result, I don't mind the odd fail either - I just found it very puzzling to pull aggro.

Yeah hybrid is my habit, so much so I don't think about it. You go in with say a squishy shooter level 40 and you're gonna have aggro anyhows so health and healing bonus is logical. Roles are for premades and I seldom get in a real team these days.

Thanx to all for your enlightening replies - I really should know by now but I just y'know play the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Always good. I usually like to use the role on my characters that I multi-passive on. Higher damage 'mode' and then a 'tankier' mode, usually for soloing. Roles help to bridge the gap between them when needed.

Try a threat wipe like EM's advantage, it's quite useful if you're building super squishy.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, running in Hybrid generates a bit more threat naturally, since it's part of the minority of roles that don't get threat reduction. This is also compacted with Fire itself doing high damage, thanks to defense down stacking.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And that makes the most sense, not my awe inspiring (ha ha) dps but a flaw in my build strategy generating more threat than some others who build properly.

I don't mind aggro and possible death as a result, I don't mind the odd fail either - I just found it very puzzling to pull aggro.

Yeah hybrid is my habit, so much so I don't think about it. You go in with say a squishy shooter level 40 and you're gonna have aggro anyhows so health and healing bonus is logical. Roles are for premades and I seldom get in a real team these days.

Thanx to all for your enlightening replies - I really should know by now but I just y'know play the game.

I used to use Hybrid as well for my Quarry build, but then realized all Range Damage does is less crowd control (dont have any) and less energy from blocking (dont need it), and I get more damage for it :)
  • Options
    shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ajanus wrote: »

I'm guessing it's because if all you run are Alerts and you're prone to dying, you're worried you'll never get DEM STARZ back.

I've had some sad/hilarious experiences when using aggro-dumps in Alerts. They range from me regaining aggro within 3 seconds of attacking again to half the party suddenly dying.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm guessing it's because if all you run are Alerts and you're prone to dying, you're worried you'll never get DEM STARZ back.

I've had some sad/hilarious experiences when using aggro-dumps in Alerts. They range from me regaining aggro within 3 seconds of attacking again to half the party suddenly dying.

Lol I love my threat wipes. If no one starts going towards the boss in an Alert, I rush in, grab everything, then threat wipe. It's funny to see what happens after that...and if they don't have a wipe, that's their problem :tongue:

...and LOL @ Stars :biggrin:

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv