test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auto-join new characters to Help & LFG channel

itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
These two channels are very important to an MMO experience and are critical to retention of new players. If someone feels lost, typing "/help I don't understand x" is more likely to retain a player than digging for guides will.

Typing "/LFG doing nemcon PST." would extend globally.

Why don't we have these things auto-joined by default?
Brou in Cryptic games.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They might be player made channels is why
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    They might be player made channels is why

Why did players have to make these channels, unlike every other mmo in the universe where they're official channels?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Because it's cheaper to put players in charge of controlling chat.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Because it's cheaper to put players in charge of controlling chat.

Why must you hurt with words?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8NLAKVJzjbaR5kNR1DWF4uYe1RR3DtjFDo0wT5bgjzM3TyfKIDQ

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    To be fair, the tutorial does an adequate job in explaining basic combat and npc / environment interaction mechanics with help popups. When the new player is done with the tutorial and zipped right into the PH, they're still getting some basic information as to how the power system in general works.

New players can ask questions in the PH at the very least. It's unfortunate that they have to wait 24 hours before being able to do so in MC zone chat.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Why must you hurt with words?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8NLAKVJzjbaR5kNR1DWF4uYe1RR3DtjFDo0wT5bgjzM3TyfKIDQ

Because the technology doesn't allow to use my fists, yet.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    To be fair, the tutorial does an adequate job in explaining basic combat and npc / environment interaction mechanics with help popups. When the new player is done with the tutorial and zipped right into the PH, they're still getting some basic information as to how the power system in general works.

New players can ask questions in the PH at the very least. It's unfortunate that they have to wait 24 hours before being able to do so in MC zone chat.

The same tutorial that teaches you to block with a quick blurb MID BOSS FIGHT?

haha when's the last time you ran it? The tutorial sucks hard for info, now. I've met level 40s who legitimately didn't know how to gear based on their super stats.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The New Champions have their super group channel.
    Surely there are a few players that stay in the super group to help other players.
    Right?
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The New Champions have their super group channel.
    Surely there are a few players that stay in the super group to help other players.
    Right?

Well, considering there's no notification that I can recall one is ever being put INTO a new player super group, I doubt any of these fictional "new players" even know they're in any group.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    They don't even know what a super group IS, but they will know what
    /help and /lfg are.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The same tutorial that teaches you to block with a quick blurb MID BOSS FIGHT?

haha when's the last time you ran it? The tutorial sucks hard for info, now. I've met level 40s who legitimately didn't know how to gear based on their super stats.

I ran it last week, on a fresh silver account. The tutorial does adequately teach a new player about basic mechanics. When was the last time you did it? It does much more than teach about blocking.

The PH does instruct about sup erstats, so it shouldn't be a huge problem figuring out that that gear choices should be primarily based on superstats.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    See, this is the thing I have difficulty wrapping my head around.

Cryptic designed City of Heroes, and even ran the game for a couple/few years.

Said game had a WONDERFUL chat system. Nobody could silence anyone, and yet you could ignore your heart out.

There was a GLOBAL help channel on every server.

Why weren't these features incorporated into this chat system? Not only that, but what's so difficult about making this happen? Did they forget how to?

I can understand not having features that were developed after the sale to NCSoft, but c'mon. The basics should have been here too. But they're not. I can't wrap my head around the why of it all.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Maybe we can start a new Super Group to help newbies get into the /help and /lfg channels! :D

But yes, we do need an official /help channel for newbies to go there and have it mentioned in the tutorial.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
    edited August 2013
    /Help exists but it crosses three games.
    Only people I ever saw use it was STOads.
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    first Ive heard of these channels. But thats not saying much really :redface:

Not sure why they changed the tutorial, the old one was fine, and had more content. :confused: I had poor fps and lag the first time I ran the new tutorial. I didn't see or hear defender say anything about block, and you might even want to know before then. The old block mission was the 2nd thing you did and even went through the different types of attacks iirc. :stupified:
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2013
    gamakyte wrote: »
    first Ive heard of these channels. But thats not saying much really :redface:

Not sure why they changed the tutorial, the old one was fine, and had more content. :confused:

Loss/churn of a million players after free to play, probably 60% in the tutorial.
    Idiot gamers not getting the block thing figured out.
    Broken Kinetic cage over and over.
    They needed to add relevant info to the tutorial and get you out of it in 20 to 30 minutes.
    Most players still don't make it out of there, they should make it optional.
    I had poor fps and lag the first time I ran the new tutorial. I didn't see or hear defender say anything about block, and you might even want to know before then.
    This can be handled with a pop up after Chief Surhoff
    The old block mission was the 2nd thing you did and even went through the different types of attacks iirc. :stupified:
    That was the first million and a half people that somehow got that mission wrong over and over.
    I used to team noobs in tutorial all the time, the world is full of idiots.