test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So You Wanna Attend a Costume Contest? A Guide

jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
edited February 2022 in Costumes and Concepts
It's been suggested on the forums and in game that there be somewhere that players can see and have some general questions about Costumes Contests (CCs) answered. Well here it is! I'll be using examples mainly from Society of Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen (SODLAG) since that's the SG I create and host CCs for, but this by all means is NOT the only way contests are handled. So without further ado..

SO, YOU WANT TO ATTEND A COSTUME CONTEST?

Fantastic! There are many features in Champions that are both fun and exciting, but the character creation and tailor is by far the most interesting. And what better way to celebrate your creation(s) than by getting together with other like minded people in the game, making friends, getting new ideas and having a friendly competition?

You are hanging out in Ren Center when in Zone you suddenly see something that looks like this:

dx5q.jpg

Well, what the heck did that mean? It's in some shorthanded code? Wait, wait rules? What do you mean? Is this something a developer is doing? Is this part of the game? Or is this person just spouting off gibberish?

JUST WHAT IS A COSTUME CONTEST?

Costume contests are community ran events involving one or many players who wish to challenge others in game to create a look or looks for specific themes. These events are designed to encourage people to show off concepts and themes and offer a chance to win prizes for select winners based on the judges decisions. The themes are limited to your imagination and range from things like traditional heroic looks to the wackiest and out of the box creations!

THE CC ANNOUNCEMENT

So let's go back the that post you saw. Most announcements or ads for contests are posted in Zone chat. There is also a special channel called Contests-Central that anyone can join (type /channel_join "contests-central") and see upcoming announcements without having to be in Millennium City.

Ok, let's break down the ad into sections to help it make more sense:

n5y4.jpg

a) THE INTRO- Usually announces what SG or player is hosting the CC. This can also include a theme or be the attention grabber for people.

b) TIME- ALL costume contests are announced in server time (ST) to avoid confusion from different time zones. If you need to see what the current server time is, hover your mouse on the clock under the mini map in the upper right corner of your screen. There it lists out your local, server, and map times!

c)PLACE- This is where the contest will be held. It can be anywhere in the game, but thanks to the creation of the "new" powerhouse, players have a huge theater to host events in. Because of space limitations in posts you will usually see this abbreviated as MCPHT or PHT. Due to the popularity of this location it is deemed the default location for contests, but if in doubt just ask.

d)CATEGORIES/THEMES- This is what players should create looks for. They can be very specific (ie: WW2 Military) to vague (ie: tech or retro). The categories are set by the hosts, and are usually left open for participant interpretation. In some cases categories will be subsets of particular themes (ie: Formal over just Sexy or Steampunk over just Tech), but again that's the choice of the hosts. Sometimes there will be mention of no categories or "bring your best". This means that there is no specific theme and to bring what you think is your personal best outfit.

You might also see things like "M/F" or "duo, trio, group" This is to indicate part of the requirements for a particular category.
-M/F or M&F means that there will be both a male and female winner chosen for that category.
-Duo/Trio/Group means that you will need a partner or a few friends to work together in completing a look to compete in that category.
-"Best use of..." implies that you incorporate a specific item or color into your look, how you choose to do so is up to you.
-Best means the best overall look. This can be something that fits the contests themes that looked too good to not just have as a category winner, or a look that didn't quite fit any categories but looked outstanding.

e)HOST'S CHOICE/ JUDGE'S PICKS- Usually a separate category from the rest of the contest, it can be a specific theme or just what a judge/host personally thought looked good. In most cases it is allowed to switch to a different look for this portion.

f)THE RULES- Depending on how long the post is, these can be detailed or shortened to a few. Listed below are a few common things that you'll see posted in ads:

Switching: This can be limited to costumes only or include both character and costumes. What it means is that the judges will look at each category one at a time, allowing people who want to try for many of the categories to change looks. It will be announced before a new category is judged and a small amount of time allowed for people to change. Not every contest allows character switching, so be sure to ask if you are allowed to use different characters for other categories. If there is not switching allowed, then pick a look that you feel best represents a particular category and stick to it.

Devices/Powers: With the addition of auras in game, the usage of devices and powers are allowed more often than not. Just keep in mind that there are others around you and if you are using an enlarger it's courteous to stand in the back so the smaller characters can be seen on judge's screens. Also be aware that some auras and powers will make it harder for costumes to be seen, and thus harder to be judged during the contest. Not every CC will allow them so be sure to ask if not announced beforehand.

Clones vs Homages: There is heated debate at times on what constitutes a clone versus an homage. Because of the Terms of Service, clones are not allowed in contests. Homages are though, and will sometimes be specific categories for a costume contest. The simplest explanation for the differences is that a clone is someone who says they are Batman because they look like them, while an homage is someone who is dressed in a Batman costume at a party. There are differences in the look (ie: A female in batman looking attire, but it's bright pink or a giant man dressed in armor that looks similar to Tron) and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. If you are ever in doubt or you think a look is too close to the original character, then ask for clarification or just don't use the look.

Trolling: This one should be pretty explanatory, but as with any public event there is that one person who feels that they need to ruin everyone's fun. It does happen in game too, and there's no stopping it. BUT you can help keep the event running smoothly by first ignoring the player. This doesn't mean that you have to /ignore (although it does help, especially when they are spamming in chat) but just don't acknowledge them. They might try to push you around or even stand in the same spot as you. It's not easy, but stay put. The judges can see that you are getting picked on, but will still fairly look at your outfit just like any other participant. There's a saying online: Don't feed the trolls, let them starve. It's great advice.

Emotes/Weapons: The emotes are a great way to communicate and express yourself in contests. They are completely optional, but please refrain from over using them. It clutters up the chat when someone is constantly "So&So dances with SomeBody" over and over, and it borders on trolling. There's also a feature in the game that allows you to keep out your weapon that also might complete your look for a category. The in game bind is /bind (key) powerscancelallactivations where the (key) is of your choosing. There is a crate in the back of the theater that re-spawns for players to target and attack then hit their bound key and viola! your weapon is out! Like the emotes, weapons are completely optional, and don't increase your odds of winning, but it's a fun enhancement to certain looks.

Talking in Zone: Since in the theater the chat is separate from anywhere else in the game, hosts and judges will use Zone to communicate with the participants. This is to insure that everyone participating can see what's going on since local chat has a limited range. Once a contest starts, it's respectful to not use Zone chat for talking so there's no confusion between the hosts and the participants talk. There's always plenty of chatter in contests, just use local instead.

This is only one representation of what a CC announcement would look like, but by no means is it the only way. For contests that need more room for explanations there might be links to forum posts or other information. So be sure to look those over when provided. If you have any questions about anything in the ad, please ask or PM the message poster for more information. While some answers might not be answered right away, have some patience, there might be several others that are asking questions themselves, and it takes time to reply to everyone.

ALRIGHT, NOW I'VE SEEN AN AD. WHAT DO I DO NOW?

This is where the fun really begins! Once you've seen and understood what is required to enter a contest, now you get the fun of making a look! You are only limited by your imagination when it comes to creating an outfit. If you aren't sure what a particular theme is, feel free to ask for more clarification. Using an image search online is a huge help for finding inspiration for looks and ideas. If a host provides you with a few ideas, that doesn't mean that it's the only thing they are looking for. Judges are looking for creativity above all. So whether it's a looks that fits for an existing character or something completely out of the box, don't be afraid to try anything!

OK, I HAVE MY LOOK AND IT'S NEARING TIME FOR THE CONTEST... WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?

Yourself first and foremost. Make sure if you are using multiple characters for switching that they are in the theater so you can log on to them and not have to rush to get into the theater at the last second. There is usually time between categories for switching, but the judges can't wait for everyone to be ready. If you are going for many categories, make sure to have your looks prepared as well. There are tailors in the back of the theater, but less last minute panicking is better. The second thing to bring with you is PATIENCE. Contests take time, with non switching ones averaging 15-30 minutes and switching ones can be upwards to an hour. Make sure you have that time available if you plan to attend. Judges want to make sure they get a good fair look at everyone who enters the contest, and that takes time, especially if there is only one judge and a lot of people in attendance. Some of the group hosted CCs include entertainment for you as well. This can be with little RP skits, trivia, or just bantering with the crowd. This is to help the time pass by, and in the case of things like trivia, allow players to win a little extra G for their time. Not everyone does this however, so don't expect it every time.

When you enter a contest, just take a square on the stage. Some players like to place multiple characters on a specific square for ease of switching, others like to stand with SG members or friends. Sometimes it doesn't happen, but it's not the end of the world if it that's the case. Just select an empty square and maybe strike up a conversation with a player near you. You never know where you could make a new friend! If you are in a duo category, try to share the same square. Sometimes due to the character's size or numbers of the group this isn't possible, so just stand together as close as possible to indicate that you are a group. Otherwise it's one to a square if you are solo. For switching CCs if you are not participating in a category then use a rest or sitting emote to indicate you are "sitting out" for that round. This helps judges to efficiently work on selecting winners and also makes the contest more streamlined.

COOL! SO I'M HERE IN MY SQUARE, AND IT LOOKS LIKE SOME JUDGES ARE STANDING ON ONE PLACE BY SOMEONE FOR A REALLY LONG TIME AND THEN THEY WALK PAST ME. WHAT GIVES?

This can be for several reasons. If there are multiple judges, they are usually on a team and need to pause to communicate to each other. They could also be stopping to take a closer look at a particular player. Some judges will stand "near" or in between players, so that it's not certain who they are looking at specifically. Every group has their own way of choosing winners, and in some cases it may be one judge picking for a particular category (ie: They are picking a winner for Tech and you are in a Fantasy look) and to be efficient are looking at the people who entered that specific category only. This in no way means that you aren't getting looked at, it's just the individual judges technique of selecting winners.

SOUNDS FAIR, NOW WHAT ABOUT WINNERS? HOW DO I KNOW WHO WON?

Once the judging part of a contest is over the host will make an announcement for winners. There might be multiple kinds of winners in a contest, I'll list a few of them here:

-Honorable Mention (HM): These are looks that were very well done and deserved a mention by the judges. Sometimes it's similar to a runner up, or maybe someone who had a great look that didn't quite fit the categories. Whatever the reason it means that the judges felt you needed to be pointed out, so consider it a win!

-First, Second, Third: This is when there are multiple winners, ordered by placement. There is usually a difference in prize amounts, 3rd getting less than 2nd, and 2nd getting less than 1st.

-Category winner: This is whom the judges felt best represented the category.

-Best: Again, this winner can be the best overall from the themes or a look that didn't quite fit, but looks amazing. Usually offered a bigger prize than the Category winners, especially if chosen from the themes.

-Host's Choice/Judge's Pick Winner: These are selected as a personal favorite look of the judge(s), and might not fit any theme. Sometimes this is used in place of Best as a special category.

The host of the CC will tell you who to approach for your prize and then where to stand for admiring after the contest is complete. If you hear your character called, CONGRATS! Head to the prize giver and then to where the "Winner's Circle" is. If another of your characters won, then switch to them to collect your prize. It's courteous to remain in that spot until all the winners are called and then a bit after to allow other participants to look at your outfit. This isn't required, especially if you can't stick around, but it's always nice for other players to see the winners. In some cases the host might ask for a screenshot of the winners, in a group or individually for posting onto websites. If you aren't sure, just PM the host for clarification, but usually the host will announce if they intend to take screenshots or not.

HURRAY! I WON! WHAT DO I GET?

This varies depending on what the host feels is worthy as a prize. Usually Globals are given as prizes, and range anywhere from 5G to 1000G or more depending on the category, with 25G-50G being the average for a single category winner. In general SG hosted events will have larger prizes since multiple players contribute to a prize pot, but any amount is a well deserved prize. Other things given as prizes are trade-able items like devices, gear, costume parts, and on the rare occasion Zen cards.

BUMMER, I DIDN'T GET CALLED, WHAT DO I DO NOW?

It happens, and you will end up not being selected as a winner for a CC, more than actually winning. Does that mean that you had a bad look? Not at all! It just means that the judges felt another look fit their theme better. If you want to know why your look wasn't selected, feel free to PM the host or judges about it. BUT be respectful! It's not easy to know that all the time you spent on a look ended up not being selected, but keep in mind that the judges and hosts spend their time as well, selecting winners and preparing for the event just like you. You might not get a response you like, some judges don't offer anything more than a "try again next time", but they are right! There's usually a contest or two that occur every day, normally in the evening hours for the server. If you get constructive criticism on a look, then it's up to you if you want to take the advice or not.

In the end, a contest is about having fun and seeing what other players envision for themes. So best thing is to look around at what other characters are wearing. Maybe there's a color combination that looks really good that you could try, or maybe you are wondering what parts someone used to create a look. That's the best part about contests, it brings the people who love to create together to share their ideas and learn new ones.

I GET IT, CAN'T WIN THEM ALL. BUT THE CONTEST I WAS AT SEEMED LIKE IT WAS SET UP OR JUST REALLY UNORGANIZED. ARE JUDGES ALLOWED TO BE RUDE?

While most people who host CCs have been at it for a while, everyone has to start somewhere. Some groups are brand new to hosting, and it's really nerve wracking to be in front of others and seem "cool". For newer contest hosts, have even more patience in letting them get their feet. The best way to really get involved with hosting is to do it yourself! So keep that in mind when it seems unorganized. If a contest appears rigged, try attending a few more hosted by the same group. If you see a pattern emerge, you can do two things. First you can talk to any of the admins on the Contests-Central channel about it in a private message or in game mail. The admins have been selected because they can handle issues like this, and also keep contests as fair as possible.

Also keep in mind that every contest is considered separate from the last. As mentioned before there are usually several CCs in a row, and there are usually a few players that will attend them all, or as many as they have looks for. If someone was a winner at a previous contest, that doesn't make them automatically unable to win at the next one. Most of the scheduled CCs have different categories from event to event and so a particular character could win for a completely different category, or sometimes even the same one using the same look. This is because the host and judges are completely different, so their tastes will differ as well. The second thing you can do is the silent protest. Don't attend that group/person's contest in the future. You can have personal reasons for not attending, and all of them are valid to you. If you feel your time isn't well spent attending, then there's no need to go. As far as rudeness goes, it's up to the players preferences. If you feel that a host is being rude, or treating players unfairly, or anything that you are offended by, I suggest the two options I listed above, tell an admin and leave. Everyone deserves respect in this game, and no one should have to "put up" with something they don't like.

HMM... MAKES SENSE. SO WHAT'S YOUR SECRET FOR WINNING BUNNI B.O.T.?

I have no secret! I go to CCs to have fun with my friends, I read the categories for upcoming contests, and if I have a look then I'll go. Sometimes I try for silly interpretations of ideas (ie: for a sea creature category I might wear scuba gear) or i might think I have the perfect look for a theme. I lose, A LOT, far more than I ever win, but I always cheer on my friends and SG mates who are winners for that CC. I ask for advice from players who have been in the game a lot longer than me on if a particular idea of mine comes across well, and I adore seeing all the creativity that other players have with their characters. I tend to stay in theme with Bunni (always having the bunny ears and tail for example) and it's just an extra challenge for me. However, I make all the looks I have for fun, some for RP, some because I wanted to see if it was even possible, others are homages to characters I like from elsewhere. To borrow some words from a dear friend, "If the outfit makes you giggle, then it's a winner in your book!"
EU5doX8.jpg
@Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
Post edited by jerax1011 on

Comments

• gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nice guide.

I don't like CC's 'cause I find them dull but it's a big draw for CO so more power to it

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And remember the judges are not likely to have the time to review your bio...
    You may have a great idea and a really cool realisation of your character concept but.... The judges are not going to see this coz they simply don't have the time to go thru the bio as well as look at your cozzie.
    It's unfortunate but there it is... So start thinking of costumes and not bio plus costume.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    There are bio contests as well sadly not as often, so I mainly touched on CCs.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Can we haz this thread sticked, please??

It's an awesome guide for new (and some old) players!!! :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is a lovable guide. It's made of love and guideness!!

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    wtb sticky.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Costume Contests are unfair! D:<

...wait... did I say unfair? I meant fun fair.

What is the best way to become a judge at costume contests? I'd rather judge than be judged.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Really nice job writing all that up!

And yeah, a sticky would be a good idea..

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

smoochan wrote: »
    What is the best way to become a judge at costume contests? I'd rather judge than be judged.

One way is to ask the person that is hosting the CC if they need any Judges. Most the time if it's a SG held CC event they will not need it. It's best to ask the people that run solo CC's you have a better change at being told sure. I nevermind having a guest judge at mine, so feel free to PM or in game mail me, @orrynn. Every monday at 7pm st is when I hold mine,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Good guide, would tease the CC community by saying something mean but I'll refrain since this is sticky material.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Excellent post, BUNNI BOT.

Still . . . I have only been in one CC that lasted 30 min. Even without switching, 45-60 min is more common in my experience.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • dragonscale1107dragonscale1107 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Solid guide. Keep those CC's rolling people!
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Behold!!! By the powers that moderate this thread is now sticky and awesome! :D

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • astrboghastrbogh Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I stopped touching CCs when the last I went to had the judges flirting in zone half the time, and someone won 'best use of Psi' when they had no psi pieces - and by no coincidence, no pants.

Hard to take most of these seriously.
    edited August 2013
    astrbogh wrote: »
    I stopped touching CCs when the last I went to had the judges flirting in zone half the time, and someone won 'best use of Psi' when they had no psi pieces - and by no coincidence, no pants.

I remember that CC, I was there as well, and after doing some talking to a judge found out that the category was misunderstood by who voted on it. Mistakes happen, even to groups that have been hosting for a long time, but that's no reason to stop attending CCs all together.
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ratiga Approves Your Post!!
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    astrbogh wrote: »

^_^

I've been to a few like that. I find the best way to win is to either be famous or friends with the judges but ymmv

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I find that the best way to deal with CCs I don't like is to not attend that group's CC again.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • sorna2sorna2 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    ~PATRIOT ACT COSTUME CONTEST~

OCTOBER 4th, 2013 @ 10PM PACIFIC TIME!

M.C. Power House Theater

GRAND PRIZE: $1,000 Globals or 10+10 Box's of Choice Keys (if silver)

COSTUME CAT: BEST HALLOWEEN THEME

1. BEST OVERALL (1,000G or 10 Keys + 10 Boxes.)

2. SECOND PLACE (500G or 5 Keys + 5 Boxes.)

3. THIRD PLACE (250G)

4. FOURTH PLACE (100G)

~TRIVIA QUESTION Prizes, and SPECIAL GUEST~

!!!SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Awesomeness!!

Well done Bunni...well thought out, clearly explained and all points covered. This is great
    to refer people to :biggrin:

BritFist.png

sorna2 wrote: »
    ....snip!

Not the place for a CC advertisement really.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited August 2014
    Bunni! Can I snag this for our guide blog on the wiki? :D
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    Bunni! Can I snag this for our guide blog on the wiki? :D

Sure :P

(screw you 10char limit)
    EU5doX8.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Cool, I'll give you credit of course.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine