test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Complaint thread, no defenders allowed

2»

Comments

• kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    - No Water powerset. For some reason games either take forever to do this or don't do it at all, and it's always one of the most demanded sets. Champions, this is a huge gap in your elemental sets and after this many years it's practically inexcusable that there's not a single water-based power yet. Wind? Really? Come on.

- Confusing costume creation UI. There's too many categories within categories within sub-categories, I can barely ever find the costume parts I'm looking for. This whole system needs to be thrown out and redone in a more user-friendly way. I've seen better character editing UI in fighting games of all places.

- Not enough content. There's basically one leveling path with a single branching point (desert or canada) and everything else is the same. It discourages me from leveling more than one character, especially when there are a ton of unskippable cutscenes.

- No villains. It's been years, and we still don't have a second faction? Star Trek has THREE full factions now. CO doesn't even have playable Nemesis missions, making it the only superhero MMO to not even try ANYTHING in terms of playable villains.

- No combat variety. Everyone is a DPS, a Tank, or a DPS-Tank. There's maybe one or two healers or pet-based characters and they suck. Where's the other roles? Where's Control? Where's Buff/Debuff? The combat system in CO needs a major overhaul, and you guys need to look at both Neverwinter and the late City of Heroes and crib some ideas from those. Don't copy outright- we want this game to be unique- but reconsider how everything is working. This is the biggest problem for CO, and if it's combat got an overhaul and was made way more fun you can bet you'd see a huge resurgence in players returning to the game, as well as a ton of new ones joining up.

- Nemesis system is BROKEN, BUGGY, UNDERUSED, and REALLY OUTDATED. How did you guys let this happen? The Nemesis concept is cool, one of the headlining features of the game at launch, and yet it's gone practically untouched for years. Whole swaths of it don't work properly or are missing modern content additions and upgrades. It's nice that we can occasionally see our Nemesis in Alerts, but outside of that, there's no way to show them off to other players at all. And we still can't actually customize their minions or dialogue, something people have wanted from the start! This is the second biggest problem with the game and it really needs to get fixed and upgraded.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • redcapcohredcapcoh Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    10) Jack Emmert.
    BWAHAHAHA!!1:biggrin:
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Vehicles and Lockboxes (instead of any REAL playable Content or even just new Costumes)
    R607qMf.jpg
  • kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Oh, yeah, also, vehicles look cool but aren't any fun to use. They're overly limited so I can't even take my jet into any instanced outdoor content like alerts or whatever. And they don't have any customization whatsoever.

When I heard vehicles were being added, I imagined they'd work like the ships do in STO, where you can pick different skins, mix and match different parts of the vehicle, etc. Turns out they're just big, static things. And if you want a different color, you've gotta buy it.

It doesn't fit CO at all. It was a bad move.

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    - No Water powerset. For some reason games either take forever to do this or don't do it at all, and it's always one of the most demanded sets. Champions, this is a huge gap in your elemental sets and after this many years it's practically inexcusable that there's not a single water-based power yet. Wind? Really? Come on.

I'll answer this in a way that still fits the theme of the thread.

I hate that Water has been to difficult to create FX for powers in CO.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I'll answer this in a way that still fits the theme of the thread.

I hate that Water has been to difficult to create FX for powers in CO.

I personally use Force for 'water' effects, but I still hate that it's not real water!

My complaints:

1. Lockboxes suck, especially since they're the only way we get new things to buy anymore. I miss when we could expect to see costume sets, Archetypes, hideouts and Become devices (oftentimes DECENT ones at that) and I have chronically horrible luck, so lockboxes are pretty much the worst thing to happen to the game in my opinion... however, I CAN understand that selling things directly in the Z-Store is unprofitable when a player who hasn't spent a cent on the game can grind for Zen and buy---

No, wait, wait a minute... the Neverwinter Z-Store has tons of items for direct purchase! And it's got an Astral Diamond exchange just like CO does! *attempts to flip table, gets flipped by table instead*

2. Vehicles suck. They're either way too strong or way too weak and there is NO middle ground. Let's not forget to mention that the way too strong ones are still squishy as can be and can be outperformed by any decent build or AT. Plus, ya can't paint 'em. Why not? Because they need to sell recolors, that's why! Buy your own $18 flying cardboard box and watch it crash and burn, or spend way more than that trying to get a good vehicle from a lockbox!

3. Power imbalances. Lead Tempest VS Shuriken Storm, Pulse Beam Rifle VS Assault Rifle, Ebon Ruin vs EVERY OTHER T3 ST ATTACK IN THE GAME, Sniper Rifle VS Focused Shot... you get the idea. Every powerset should do something unique but be just as good as the other, with reasonable AoEs, heals and debuffs in each and every powerset. That's just my opinion, of course, others would be happy to let Darkness be the special flower with the ranged heavy heal debuff, but not I!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    STO is a good (IMO) example of how to make lockboxes work in a greater spectrum of options.

There are PLENTY of good zen store items, Lobi (drops from every lockbox) can be used for some really nice stuff, and it's not hard to get keys through the player economy.

I don't like lockboxes, but STO manages my grudging respect.

CO does just about everything wrong with lockboxes.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Aesthetic and Music.
    The big issue I have with CO is that it can't make up its mind on what aesthetic it wants in whole. As of late, a lot of the textures on worlds and things have gotten a whole lot more detailed. Which is a far cry from what the game originally looked like. Seriously, stand on top of some grass in Millennium City and tell me it does not look like some kind of mottled sponge thing. The aesthetic is a blend of, really, multiple things. Semi-photorealistic shapes of City of Heroes, semi-painted look of Borderlands, Some modern comic-book aspects in things like character design and armor, and some classic comic-book aspects in things like environment aesthetic, more subtle facial structure things, and the inclusion of those comic book outline things. It's sort of versatile, but it's simply not bold in its statement on whether it wants to be modern-comic/realistic based (CoH, DCUO, Marvel Diablo dickfest), or classical-stylistic based (Freedom Force, Borderlands(to an extent), Those spiderman games). Probably doesn't help that the splash page of this game's website, upon opening it up as a new user, is HIDEOUS. Forget the dynamic layout of a horde of heroes charging at you or a simple but effective logo. Just slap a bunch of in-game clip art over an uncolored aerial-view concept art of the main zone of the game and be done with it.

Don't even get me started with this game's soundtrack. I think it falls into the exact same caveat that the aesthetics of the game do, in that it's generally hero-y, but not bold. In this case, it means the music just sort of has this "wheeee epic" feel, but that the general catchiness and impact of the whole thing is sort of stymied. Considering the older, retro feel that a game like this could have evoked, there could have been a huge potential for this game to have a real kickin' soundtrack. Though I guess that sort of stuff isn't easily marketable to young boys who have hardons for blackred bloodspawn butts or whatever the hell is popular nowadays in manga/comics/what nerds read.

Standardization
    Now, I'm just some dumbass at a computer, but if I had lead design on a game like this, I would have set a baseline for all powers to start from. Though, in that same case, said game also would have been a single-player/non-massive, third-person action game that's like some sort of unholy fusion of The Elder Scrolls, Infamous, Bioshock, and GTA, but I'm getting off topic. What I'm getting at is that, before dropping attacks in the mix that literally do twice as much DPS as other attacks and also bounce between targets like some sort of insidious invisible boomerangy blob of death, I'd set up some kind of algorithm that would calculate things out, like energy cost and tier, based on the attack's base damage and extra effects. And even before that, I'd make it so that, like, the analogues of such abilities from one set to the next were actually comparable, to start.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Aesthetic and Music.
    The big issue I have with CO is that it can't make up its mind on what aesthetic it wants in whole. As of late, a lot of the textures on worlds and things have gotten a whole lot more detailed. Which is a far cry from what the game originally looked like. Seriously, stand on top of some grass in Millennium City and tell me it does not look like some kind of mottled sponge thing.

I know the rules say no defending, but this is small quality of life changes happening at a minimal pace. You notice these changes to? Vibora Bay tombstone textures are like 512x512 spread across a giant simple polygon to be viewed well from X-box TV distances, while in Purple Reign and Fight Club I could swear those bricks are not the same bricks as they used to be, they have more detail up close, someone gave them some love.
    Maybe I just love those bricks...

But back on topic, Vibora Bay crypts look awful up close. Detail needs updates in a lot of places.
    I have a friend whose sort of an expert on that sort of thing, too bad her
    arthritis keeps her from being at computer long enough play a game like this.

Cryptic make the game arthritis friendly
    *Shakes fist*
    ow.

Btw. Through -demoplay mode you can turn on the worst possible texture settings.
    Its pretty mind blowing that someone might have a computer or even vision so bad that they play at some of these settings.

Cryptic's promotions suck.
    They should make a deal with Alienware, new 2014 computers with free lifetime subs of Champions Online and Private Champions Online Developer License with one year of server hosting,
    It would come with default Qularr invasion on all maps across all levels, just making all kinds of bugs.

Gateway would be a really cool thematic tie in as well.

My number one complaint is also my one greatest blessing: I'm not the one in charge.

Can you imagine if six months work went over great and a few thousands more people than usual stuck around for 'more'.
    But that next idea you grind three months into is just maybe 'ok' because you're on too tight a schedule.
    Then the next isn't so amusing either.
    You're chained back in the production line on other games to 'reeducate' you.

But you have a few good games left in you.
    You set up your own memory file, and work late nights and every weekend, you're ready to set up your own operation...
    Then one Sunday you log in and everything is gone.
    On Monday theres Lord Gar with this great new content...that he's made, man.

This would make a great movie.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, the soundtrack in CO is actually a pretty big letdown... the Snake Gulch theme is the closest the game's music ever comes to being catchy. Otherwise, we've just got ourselves a bunch of generic superhero game "epic" stuff.

This is a good song in a comic book game.

A Silent Hill Akira Yamaoka inspiration would have suited Demonflame and Aftershock well, I think.

I personally listened to this during the finale of Whiteout.

It's possible that the soundtrack guy just didn't work very hard on CO's music because it came with a built-in music player, but that ain't an excuse! I'm just kinda wishing we got a techno/trance song for Fatal Err0r's event, but maybe the generic instance music that plays within is just a placeholder.

Even if your game has a built-in music player for playing custom music, don't skimp on making good music!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't even play with the music on, because this game's soundtrack is terrible. It's corny-awful. I'm not even joking, I turned it off the first day I played this game, it was that bad. I haven't had it on since.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    I personally use Force for 'water' effects, but I still hate that it's not real water!

Power slide and Metal Ooze work great too. I too hate that it is not actually water! :)
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!