test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did you know...

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
Over on the NWO forums, it's against the rules to make goodbye posts?

Wonder what that means.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It means you can turn off the language and propriety filters when you're posting why you're leaving, since it's gonna be deleted, anyway? :biggrin:

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Over on the NWO forums, it's against the rules to make goodbye posts?

Wonder what that means.

That's pretty common in MMO forums. Too many of them end up creating drama which has to get deleted anyways.
    That's pretty common in MMO forums. Too many of them end up creating drama which has to get deleted anyways.

Ahh that brings me back reading the WoW forums. Such a lovely drama gathering it was.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Even though there's a perfectly good reason for it, it doesn't look good on PWE's games when you have that, and comments disabled in CO's news blog.
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Every time the community takes to the forums to air their grievances, it costs the game potential new players.

I wish more of the CO community would consider that before posting. It may be fashionable to bash Cryptic right now, but every negative post is another nail in the coffin of a game I still quite enjoy from time to time.
    Every time the community takes to the forums to air their grievances, it costs the game potential new players.

I wish more of the CO community would consider that before posting. It may be fashionable to bash Cryptic right now, but every negative post is another nail in the coffin of a game I still quite enjoy from time to time.

The thing is, there's not much left to talk about when we have such big gaps between short-lived content. If we were being blasted in the face with new missions, bug fixes, and costumes all the time, the forums would sing a different tune. A lockbox with a vehicle every few months is not that.
    edited July 2013

Allow me to be perfectly honest-

I'm more concerned about a fellow player's time, money, and enjoyment than I am Cryptic's financial success. 99.9% of all the major complaints on this forum are not only legitimate, but should be out in the open and seen. If Cryptic wanted new customers, they'd fix the problems and there would be no complaints to the degree we've seen them. I see attempts here recently, but I refuse to take any blame whatsoever for 'loss of revenue' on Cryptic's behalf. If players' dissatisfaction ends this game- then so be it, do what Jack said and 'Make better games, take better care of our customers'.

I am, however, hopeful about this next series of events.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Or hey, all is well. No negativity on my part. Game is been doing great after On Alert! expansion. The power reviews have made power sets work even better than before, synergy between sets is amazing. New power sets add more customization.
    The added story arcs bring more depth to an allready rich universe that is so well brought from the pnp to the mmo. On every new story arc are new costume sets added. The costume parts are finely detailed and over shine old pieces. The customizable vehicles make the gameplay even more exiting, adding a whole new level of playability to old and new missions.
    What else have i missed?

Oh yes, Cryptic/PW have earned the nails on their coffins.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Are "ima leaving to go down to the shops to buy some rum be back in an hour" threads allowed?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes, as long as you bring enough to share and grab some snacks also.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you bring enough to share and grab some snacks also.

Then that begs the question, regular or peanut M&Ms?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Then that begs the question, regular or peanut M&Ms?

I recently learned that M&Ms give you bad breath.

• somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Over on the NW boards...

...it's against the rules to talk about the broken chat ban system.

...despite you being able to do so here and on the STO boards.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited July 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Over on the NW boards...

...it's against the rules to talk about the broken chat ban system.

...despite you being able to do so here and on the STO boards.

I'm honestly still impressed with that move. We all thought we were going to chip at NWO's success by informing their players about the chat ban system. When faced with such a threat to the success of their latest product, Crypwe did the only thing they could....

Fix the problem.... by silencing their customers.
    clean-your-balls.gif

• atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know that's supposed to be a Captain Queeg reference, but I feel a little dirty looking at that...

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Allow me to be perfectly honest-

I'm more concerned about a fellow player's time, money, and enjoyment than I am Cryptic's financial success. 99.9% of all the major complaints on this forum are not only legitimate, but should be out in the open and seen. If Cryptic wanted new customers, they'd fix the problems and there would be no complaints to the degree we've seen them. I see attempts here recently, but I refuse to take any blame whatsoever for 'loss of revenue' on Cryptic's behalf. If players' dissatisfaction ends this game- then so be it, do what Jack said and 'Make better games, take better care of our customers'.

I am, however, hopeful about this next series of events.

Precisely. If Cryptic took better care of its things, the complaints wouldn't runneth over like they do now.

It is nice that they claim that all but the finale of their latest "event" will be permanent. I'll be holding them to that promise.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It was against the rules to run away while whining about it in the old forums.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Or hey, all is well. No negativity on my part. Game is been doing great after On Alert! expansion. The power reviews have made power sets work even better than before, synergy between sets is amazing. New power sets add more customization.
    The added story arcs bring more depth to an allready rich universe that is so well brought from the pnp to the mmo. On every new story arc are new costume sets added. The costume parts are finely detailed and over shine old pieces. The customizable vehicles make the gameplay even more exiting, adding a whole new level of playability to old and new missions.
    What else have i missed?

Oh yes, Cryptic/PW have earned the nails on their coffins.

wild applause, and cheers.....
    This is absolutely hilarious. made my day.

I've tried playing nevermind. Yoiu think one start point is boring. try one mission levelling path.......eerrgg aarrghhh.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flamingbunnyman sees the practice:

Yes, it's not unusual, any more than it's unusual for drama queens to make such posts and then...not leave. Other places I've been it's more to stop that nonsense than to quiet criticism.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    Yes, it's not unusual, any more than it's unusual for drama queens to make such posts and then...not leave. Other places I've been it's more to stop that nonsense than to quiet criticism.

Normally true, but in this case when you look at the whole package you quickly realize that it's to quiet criticism. The fact that in other games it's done to prevent forum drama only serves as a convenient cover story.
    chaelk wrote: »
    wild applause, and cheers.....
    This is absolutely hilarious. made my day.

I've tried playing nevermind. Yoiu think one start point is boring. try one mission levelling path.......eerrgg aarrghhh.

Yeah, the one leveling path is kinda jank... I got excited when they let me pick a city during character creation, thinking each city had its own leveling path. Not really sure why they had me pick it still...

The actual game mechanics are kinda fun in NWO though. The only real complaint I have is that playing NWO makes me want to come rant on the CO forums because NWO has a lot of mechanics we would love to have in CO. Wish the developer for NWO would buy CO, since the developer for NWO has some really fun ideas that I wish the developer for CO would use. I wonder if the game engines for NWO and CO are compatible with each other............<insert more periods as needed>

• fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Yeah, the one leveling path is kinda jank... I got excited when they let me pick a city during character creation, thinking each city had its own leveling path. Not really sure why they had me pick it still...

For the smoochan "of selected city" title of course.
    edited July 2013
    smoochan looks behind the curtain:

Normally true, but in this case when you look at the whole package you quickly realize that it's to quiet criticism. The fact that in other games it's done to prevent forum drama only serves as a convenient cover story.

If you say so. Frankly, if Cryptic has ever tried to quiet criticism, they've been an utter failure at it. There's far more open criticism here than any other boards I've ever seen. I don't think they try to quiet criticism. It's more that they simply ignore it.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    If you say so. Frankly, if Cryptic has ever tried to quiet criticism, they've been an utter failure at it. There's far more open criticism here than any other boards I've ever seen. I don't think they try to quiet criticism. It's more that they simply ignore it.

They don't care about quieting criticism about an abandoned project. You'll notice that the rule is in place on the boards for their current project, since that's the one they're concerned about. They know no one is going to the forums for the game they don't advertise for.

edited July 2013
    Yes, a common unsurprising rule is in place. I think you need to lay off the Conspiracy Cola. :wink:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The thing is, there's not much left to talk about when we have such big gaps between short-lived content. If we were being blasted in the face with new missions, bug fixes, and costumes all the time, the forums would sing a different tune. A lockbox with a vehicle every few months is not that.

Many people might not have gotten to that point yet and still have years of fun and excitement before they have done it all. Be a shame for 'em to miss it all because of a few rotten grapes on the vine. This game is better now that it was when I joined. There is no real option for an open Super Hero Game out there. Would I still pay for life membership if I just found this today? Yeah, damn straight, if I thought it had a future. Do I think it has a future, maybe not reading these forums (Ive still got heaps of costumes to unlock, lots of stuff I could buy, If I knew there was a few more years in it, Id probably go buy some Zs).

The media, not their policies, sells the head of state.

I've never been especially dramatic. Sure, I'd lose my temper from time to time, but I didn't rage-quit every other week like some people did.

And I really am leaving. My subscription runs out July 25th, after which I won't be able to play any of my characters anymore. I'll be around until the 22nd or so, which is when I go on vacation and won't be playing games or reading forums. Unless something drastically changes in the next 10 days (which I'm not anticipating).

I'm not rage-quitting in the slightest. That would imply that I thought I had a reason to be angry about something. It's more of a disappointment-quit than anything.

I made a good-bye post mostly because I've always felt that disappearing without saying a word was kind of rude, especially when there are people you've known for a while who might wonder where you went (you, flamingbunnyman, Scythus, other people I knew from my CoH forum days).
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gamakyte wrote: »
    This game is better now that it was when I joined.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. The game is worse now than when I joined. I keep a hand on the chance that it will turn around.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I guess from my pov, there is just more to do now than there was. As for how good the new stuff is, vehicles etc, thats another story. Theres more options in character development now, more powers. Balancing these things in such an open ended format will never happen, and maybe things could be done better (really hard for a dev team to do, even with a PTS. Its only when these things go wild that they can be truly tested, and then tweaks need to be made), but for the most part its the same game with extra shiny stuff.
    The game is better now in the sense that if someone wanted to start playing for the first time, I'd be inclined to recommend it. If you're a returning player, unless you quite within the first 3 months, I couldn't recommend returning to it again.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would vote for nev ermind, being the most boring game around. I'n only logging on to do alchemy. I just can't be bothered levelling the characters adn I have 33 on the alt-aholics thread. One path, set characters .... yaaawwm.

the last 3 levels on my highest one have all been from praying once per day. thats 35-38
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2013
    Yes, a common unsurprising rule is in place. I think you need to lay off the Conspiracy Cola. :wink:

The point isn't whatever conspiracy idea you came up with.

The point is that over there, in a fresh new game, goodbye posts aren't allowed. Over here, in a game run by the very same company goodbye posts are allowed even though the ones here are certainly more dramatic and cause more of a ruckus.

Think about that and what it says. Leave your nonsense conspiracy theories at home.
    chaelk wrote: »
    I would vote for nev ermind, being the most boring game around. I'n only logging on to do alchemy. I just can't be bothered levelling the characters adn I have 33 on the alt-aholics thread. One path, set characters .... yaaawwm.

the last 3 levels on my highest one have all been from praying once per day. thats 35-38

Playing it for what it is (i.e. not a Neverwinter Nights game, since those had a lot of customization) I think Neverwinter is actually fairly fun. The way I can attack people using Super Jump with my Great Weapon Fighter makes me feel like a super hero, and all the active dodging mechanics that reward me for reacting quickly really make me feel like I'm in an action-packed comic!

edited July 2013
    smoochan is certain:

The point isn't whatever conspiracy idea you came up with.

The point is that over there, in a fresh new game, goodbye posts aren't allowed. Over here, in a game run by the very same company goodbye posts are allowed even though the ones here are certainly more dramatic and cause more of a ruckus.

Think about that and what it says.

What it says to me is they probably had (or are anticipating) a bunch of annoying rage quit posts and didn't want any more. And that they don't do anything here because they barely know we exist.

Banning goodbye posts is a very ineffective way of "quieting criticism", if that's their goal like you think it is.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited July 2013
    To be fair, on that forum, you should have seen the anarchy when someone was talking about chat-bans.

Not to mention, the moderation on that forum? Seriously, you'd be banned from CO forums for life if you said the things I've seen over there. Some of it is appalling- and I was in the Marines for 5 years.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Banning goodbye posts is a very ineffective way of "quieting criticism", if that's their goal like you think it is.

To be honest, i've had numerous comments and posts mysteriously disappear, not be removed for content, but actually disappear like they never happened, both here and on STO, and while it was all negative criticism, it wasn't anything that really seemed to break the rules. If anything it just seems like theyre trying to keep the number of posts down on the same subject rather than quiet the criticism. Maybe if they made a specific post called the goodbye thread, and you could only post there if you were quitting?

Seriously though, while i can understand wanting to keep the thread count low on any single subject (quitting the game in this case) I really don't like the idea of them censoring people, with in reason of course, so hopefully it's the previous rather than the latter.