test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What kinda shady crap is this?

kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
On this month's bank statement, I noticed that my CO subscription fee was renewed in Hoofdoorp, Netherlands with a 12 cent "International Exchange Fee." What the heck?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you mean the twelve cent charge or the shady part of the Netherlands called Hoofdoorp?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hoofdoorp... is the name of a city of legends.

"There was once a man from Hoofdoorp...

...and he made a pie."
    *cue dramatic music and thunder in the background*

That is... rather odd though.

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1, how do you pay your fee?
    2. international payments usually have a percentage fee. Ultimategamecards is about 5c in the dollar on Aus$ to US$.

3. contact customerservice@perfectworld.com , subject feild subscription payment
    4. ready intercontinental ballistic bricks
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    1, how do you pay your fee?
    2. international payments usually have a percentage fee. Ultimategamecards is about 5c in the dollar on Aus$ to US$.

3. contact customerservice@perfectworld.com , subject feild subscription payment
    4. ready intercontinental ballistic bricks

I pay via my debit card, and considering I live in the freaking United States, seeing an international charge from Hoofdoorp is the last thing I'd expect.
    edited May 2013
    which means check with support over where they do their banking, since it will be their bank which takes the money out not yours.

Its still weird because I don't remember seeing that charge on my c/card and I'm in Australia. Which should have an international fee.

A complaint is in order, since you are paying in US dollars for US dollars. Harrass accts and you should(but I wouldn't bet on it) get that fee reversed.
    also check that your acct has been renewed in case someone else has raided your card details

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm living in Japan at the moment but I have just gotten an email from PWE about Neverwinter..all in French u_U"
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like PWE is trying to embrace a global market. Every global market. Simultaneously.
    Sounds like PWE is trying to embrace a global market. Every global market. Simultaneously.

And doing as well as would be expected.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just reupped my sub and they denoted that the payment was going to Hoofdoorp, but the charge was exactly the same as it's always been. I also just came back from silver, so I'm a clean slate as far as having any pre-existing conditions modify my sub, like recurring payments being made via ACH, and such.

Consider the possibility that your bank applied that as a fee? Some do, I worked in customer support for a major American bank, and it was a standard thing to charge a small percentage to cover currency conversion. However, in recent years, said conversion fee has started popping up for online transactions, even if the transaction takes place using American dollars. Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo are notorious for this. I pulled up some information that may be of interest to you, most national banks work in a similar way. I, personally, use a small local bank and don't face such nickel and dime fees. This, of course, being how national banks make all of their money.

http://www.cardhub.com/edu/foreign-transaction-fees/

For the record? This kind of fee almost never comes from the people you're paying, and if it is they're required to warn you in writing that you'll face said fee. Your bank may also tell you, if you ask them about it, that this fee came from the person you were paying. Chances are they are lying to you if they do this, or ignorant of international transaction laws and the fees of their own bank. Sadly, this is rather common, especially if you go into a branch location. Suffice it to say that international electronic transactions aren't very common at your local citibank location, so the teller may not be too up on current applicable fees or charges. They might also just not want you to yell at them. The funny part is exactly how many federal regulations they're breaking if they do misinform you about this.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure you can still use paypal as a filter to avoid this fee. Since the transaction is in dollars, they shouldn't hit you with a conversion fee on it. Being that until this month, they were taking the automatic sub payment from a bank in California, and it just switched to the Netherlands? I'm actually 100% positive what I'm describing is what happened.

TL;DR: Don't shoot the messenger. Cryptic probably isn't responsible for this.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited May 2013
    Well, one: I also bank with a small local bank.

Two: Perfect World Cryptic is listed on the bank statement as the company that the 12 cent fee went to.
  • imperviumimpervium Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hooorb dooorp.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    Hooorb dooorp.

SWEDISH_CHEF_by_Hellion_Kat.jpg

Holy Swedish Meatballs Batman!

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
    edited May 2013
    Too far north, Cellarrat. Netherlanders are Dutch.
  • slowecsl4pweslowecsl4pwe Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All I know is something is going on with the subscriptions. I have been subscribing monthly for my gold access and it's been fine for the last 465 days. Now all of a sudden my account has gone to inactive and reverted back to silver so I've lost access to my 34+ characters.

I checked the credit card I use and have been using since I started and it has not expired and there is money available. When I try to re-activate my account I get a cryptic (no pun) error saying "Error updating subscription".

I hope this gets resolved quickly but probably not as this is a holiday in the US and my open ticked has gone unanswered all day.

Apathy is on the rise, but nobody seems to care.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited May 2013
    Slowecs, kojiro, have you heard back from the Billing team yet?
    edited May 2013
    Not yet. I just got a message that my query was transferred to the billing department.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok.. So I was hesitant enough to re-sub for $14.99 to test powers (why the wunk would someone PAY to do QA testing you ask..)

But I went to check my bank account and.. there's 8 $1 transactions pending that match this description.

So:
    1) I better not see that $8 go anywhere but back in my pocket
    2) Get some web devs to streamline and fix the online billing or you will never see a cent
    3) Give me TelepathyNOW!

Unless my demands are met I'mma get "Rull unRewly".
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All I know is something is going on with the subscriptions. I have been subscribing monthly for my gold access and it's been fine for the last 465 days. Now all of a sudden my account has gone to inactive and reverted back to silver so I've lost access to my 34+ characters.

I checked the credit card I use and have been using since I started and it has not expired and there is money available. When I try to re-activate my account I get a cryptic (no pun) error saying "Error updating subscription".

I hope this gets resolved quickly but probably not as this is a holiday in the US and my open ticked has gone unanswered all day.

Guess i'm not the only person who's having mysterious subsciption issues. Too bad i was told they can't renew my 3 month for $30 rate as it was a special rate not on offer at the moment,

Maybe this is all a plot to cancel fixed discount rates and push people onto the more costly subs and taking out normal people to cover their tracks too!
    edited May 2013

No I have not. I have two open incidents and I can't get though to Billing and Account support during operating hours PST.

Thanks

edited May 2013
    While I'm at it.. I dont think i got my Zen from subscribing either
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why are you subscribing? You caved!!!! OMG!:tongue:
    edited May 2013
    Why are you subscribing? You caved!!!! OMG!:tongue:

And they once again have decided to take the money.. and Run. Having most assuredly NO intention of actually following through with telepathy. The reason for the sub..
    edited May 2013
    Going on to day 4 with no response to any ticket regarding this issue. There is to be server maintenance this morning. I do hope I can ADD A PAYMENT METHOD afterward so I can get back to playing this afternoon.

I can understand to an extent how a company can give a low priority to people's complaints about game content and the like, but really, when a company is explained that a customer (or more than one in this case) is trying to give them money to use their service, you would think that there would be a little more interest in communicating with said customers so as to be able to get said monies. :mad:

edited May 2013
    if you got double last month becasue of the screwup with stipends, you get none this month.
    check the date on your acct

if its late, email customerservice@perfectworld.com

subjct feild- stipend.

edited May 2013
    **** you PWE/Cryptic:
    Hello ,

We sincerely apologize for the delay as your ticket is important to us.

While we would love to get to your ticket personally, unfortunately, we are a bit backed up due to the large volume of tickets we have received at this time.

If you are still experiencing an issue or need further assistance, please respond directly to this ticket and we will look into your issue as fast as we can.

Thank you for your patience and for being part of a rapidly expanding community of excellent players.
    Perfect World Support
    Check out our latest game, Neverwinter!
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow. Would you have put in a ticket if it wasn't important in the first place? -.- I need to resub but this has me hesitant...

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
    edited June 2013
    **** you PWE/Cryptic:

Love? no
    Kiss? no
    Miss? no

What could those four letters be?

hmmm... While I think about it.. Check out our latest game, Neverwinter!
    edited June 2013
    Okay, just now, I found my subscription inexplicably inactive, despite that there was more than enough money in the bank to pay for this month. What in Satan's sweet Hell is going on with billing?
    edited June 2013
    well, theres not many people on CS and NW have flooded it with questions.
    One person waiting for a response on BAN took 19 days to get a response.

But yes, unfortunately the email seems to work better than the ticket

edited June 2013
    Now my Zen appears to be late in coming. No sign of it yet. Seriously, PWE/Cryptic, get your **** together. There's no excuse for this kind of crap.
    edited June 2013
    Are you sure your Zen is late, and not really early? I thought mine was late, so I sent in a ticket a few days ago. Apparently there was a glitch where people got Zen twice in April. Those affected are having the second stipend treated as their May stipend.

For example, I got Zen on April 10th and 24th. The second is being counted as my May 10th stipend, and I get my next one on June 10th. Annoying, but I'm still getting everything I'm owed by the right date - or WAY in advance.

If this isn't what happened to you, I'd recommend putting in another support ticket. At least the source of the backlog seems to be clearing up; I went from ticket submitted to automatic response saying they were backed up to reply in under 48 hours.
    Are you sure your Zen is late, and not really early? I thought mine was late, so I sent in a ticket a few days ago. Apparently there was a glitch where people got Zen twice in April. Those affected are having the second stipend treated as their May stipend.

For example, I got Zen on April 10th and 24th. The second is being counted as my May 10th stipend, and I get my next one on June 10th. Annoying, but I'm still getting everything I'm owed by the right date - or WAY in advance.

If this isn't what happened to you, I'd recommend putting in another support ticket. At least the source of the backlog seems to be clearing up; I went from ticket submitted to automatic response saying they were backed up to reply in under 48 hours.

Yeah havent got my stipend from April or May yet.

And seems I'm not the only one with Zen skipping months.

And for June, its still too early to say but in the prior months usually by the 5th it was there,
    edited June 2013
    Well, if you're missing any from previous months, definitely send in a ticket. They can look it up and tell you when you did receive Zen, and presumably fix it if you are missing any.

I just wish there was somewhere we could see the dates the Zen stipend was applied, just like we can see when we purchased Zen. It makes no sense to show one, but not the other.

I'm aware of that issue, but I wasn't one of those people.

PWE seemed quicker in responding to my concern and claimed that they haven't actually received my payment (yet my subscription is now marked active because of my manually reactivating it the other day? o.O; ) because my address on my card might not actually match what I gave PWE. And yet, in previous months there was no problem with my subscription's renewal (aside from last month's Netherlander adventure) and Zen stipend. So I've done that, just in case they were different (there was no actual way to check if they were).

They also said if changing my card's details didn't work, to talk to my bank. It seems to me that PWE is trying to shift the blame despite the obviousness that there's something... wrong on their end considering that I'm not the only one having these issues.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah the stripend turns up when it feels like it :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My friend didn't get his stipend last month at all. And when he contacted customer service by email directly, they replied "claiming" that wasn't the email address his account was associated with. Yet its the only email address he has.

Not the first time he's had trouble with this kind of thing before. But this time around his entire zen total disappeared including the amount he earned through those surveys.
    edited June 2013
    The jackasses in Support are still trying to insist that the problem is with my bank, even though they were reliably able to deduct a dollar from my account. My bank has no clue what PWE's "Auth Code: 430409" error means.

I swear, despite their murder of CoH, NCSoft's Customer Support was leagues better than PWE's.
    edited June 2013
    New update:
    Perhaps the bank will recognize this instead Auth Code: 430409 - Hard Failure "REFERRED".

Please note again that this is the only information I have and the subscription payment system is working correctly at the moment.

Hey, everyone, has the subscription payment system been working correctly at the moment?
    edited June 2013
    Well, guess what? My subscription's inactive again!

You'd think that after confirming my bank account is still there (the $1 deduction) that the payment would finally go through eventually and I'd get my Zen and live somewhat happily ever after.

Nope.

I'm currently trying to reactivate it (again), but the server appears to be sluggish for some reason.
  • mmogamer71mmogamer71 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hello

We sincerely apologize for the delay caused by the large volume of tickets we have received at this time, your ticket is important to us.

Our records show that your payment failed to successfully process.
    The following error code was given for your transactions: Auth Code: 430409

This code has become common for our players. The current work around for this issue is to use PayPal to pay for the subscription while we work to address the problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope to find a solution soon.

Perfect World Support
    Check out our latest game, Neverwinter!

181 days subscribed, goodbye.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, yeah, same ol' song and dance. On the bright side, we're essentially getting Gold accounts for an extremely reduced rate. Ha ha.

Although we have to "renew" it every week.
    edited June 2013
    mmogamer71 wrote: »
    Cryptic is crap.

Give credit where credit is due. Cryptic has nothing to do with billing. That's all in Perfect World's hands.