test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would be better for Forum Malvanum

jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
Make it more about survival than trying to defeat enemies in the quickest time possible.

Get rid of the timer for Duratok / Ironclad, and instead implement lock-out if a player gets defeated unless rez'ed to prevent graveyard rushing due to a lack of a timer.

The rest of the fights are easier to handle so unless there's something very wrong with the team, they shouldn't have to fear defeat.

Doing such will shift the focus from DPS as being the sole crucial mechanic and let those with support builds have a more important role.

Otherwise then increase the timer to a little over 2 mins, maybe 2 and a half would be reasonable.
Post edited by jennymachx on

Comments

• Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Make it more about survival than trying to defeat enemies in the quickest time possible.

Get rid of the timer for Duratok / Ironclad, and instead implement lock-out if a player gets defeated unless rez'ed to prevent graveyard rushing due to a lack of a timer.

The rest of the fights are easier to handle so unless there's something very wrong with the team, they shouldn't have to fear defeat.

Doing such will shift the focus from DPS as being the sole crucial mechanic and let those with support builds have a more important role.

I could get behind this. They'd have to re-record the voice acting for Tateklys though, or else we'd have a non-timed round after he said all the remaining rounds were timed.
    Otherwise then increase the timer to a little over 2 mins, maybe 2 and a half would be reasonable.

I'd say 2 minutes. Most of the PUGs I've been on would have been able to complete in 2 mins or less. 2:30 would make it a guaranteed win for all but a team of 5 Energy Builder spammers.

If we're adjusting the timer, I'd drop Firewing to 2min as well. Any team that can handle Duraclad in 1:30 doesn't come close to needing 3 minutes for Firewing. A 2min timer on him would give a chance of failure, but wouldn't guarantee it.
    edited May 2013
    Duratok needs to be changed to Unstoppable and Ironclad needs to spam stuns and AoE knocks. Two Defiant tanks is rediculous but changing one of them into a high damage threat you effectively have to avoid the damage spikes of one while staying out of the other's Crowd Controls attacks.

Take out the damage dealer then widdle the remaining tank.
  • Options
    jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't give the revive outside option. The default assumption by most people is that "nobody can rez, and it's not worth finding out". Let them lie there while they wait, or leave the instance. They're not able to do anything whether they are lying on the ground or locked out, but if they're on the ground, at least they can be rezzed.
  • Options
    bloodx13bloodx13 Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like the Iron clad fight as is, its nice to have a challenge for once.

What I think would make it better:

*Make it end game content as in our level for the alert is 40.

*Have us compete against teams of other players as well as npc's through out the alert.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's not challenging, though, unless you just barely have enough dps. I've rarely encountered that. Usually it's not nearly enough or way more than is required.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    End the alert at Round 5 and give winners a medal or token usable only by level 40 that starts a quest for the Forum Malvanum Finals

Then add a separate instance for rounds 6-10, accessible by UNITY or the instance queue. Gate it for level 40 only and re-order the stages with increasing difficulty. Also, make the fire guy less of a wimp in fact, make him hit as hard as Gravitar so that there's a survivability test. And change the "well armed organization" stage to a team of Ripper, Freon, Viper X, Draconis and Viperia.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gate it to players lvl 35+. If you're going to openly say it's challenging content for high-level players, then stop letting lvl 6's join. It's like an open invite to NASCAR and allowing lawnmowers.
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gate it to players lvl 35+. If you're going to openly say it's challenging content for high-level players, then stop letting lvl 6's join. It's like an open invite to NASCAR and allowing lawnmowers.

It might as well be gravitar, cause that last final boss, theres no way to do that with below 35s, even with a full skillset, his damn energy passive ticks so god damn hard youd think he was focusing you.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can't say that I care for the idea of putting offensive passive builds, which are already less effective throughout the game as a whole than defensive passive builds, at a disadvantage here too.
    It's not challenging, though, unless you just barely have enough dps. I've rarely encountered that. Usually it's not nearly enough or way more than is required.

That is the way all pure DPS race encounters seem to work. Success or failure are determined before the encounter starts.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    duratok Needs To Be Changed To Unstoppable And Ironclad Needs To Spam Stuns And Aoe Knocks. Two Defiant Tanks Is Rediculous But Changing One Of Them Into A High Damage Threat You Effectively Have To Avoid The Damage Spikes Of One While Staying Out Of The Other's Crowd Controls Attacks.

Take Out The Damage Dealer Then Widdle The Remaining Tank.

Duratok Agrees With This Comment! Nothing Can Stop My Rage!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    That is the way all pure DPS race encounters seem to work. Success or failure are determined before the encounter starts.

Yeah, I don't like Two Minute Drill or Dockside Dust Up for this reason. In Fry Pan: Fury of the Bacon I like the timer because it prevents an infinite loop of party whipes. I'm on the fence about Nuclear Winter and Train Stopping.

Like you said, for all of those, I still tend to get the same results of: "Usually it's not nearly enough or way more than is required." When it is close, then it's fun.
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Imagine my surprise when I zoned into the arena and checked my team. 3 level 6's and a level 16.

I had my glass cannon level 40 and face-planted 3 times on the first round versus the "elite" squad of Gadroon commandos.

5 minutes of zerg rushing we finally finished them off.

After that I chickened out and left. Felt a little bad for giving up, but I just couldn't go on.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In that situation I would consider it a failed run too. did the rest of your team die a lot too? If that's the case; if the alert was designed better, it would have recognized that as a loss.

This event definitely shows how little time went into it. But the alert could have been a lot better with the simplest of changes.