test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

POSITIVE stories of Duels and PVP

jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
Yes, they DO really exist!
And we really should be talking about them a bit more often. Because lets face it, if, on the off chance, a new player should happen to stumble upon these Forums they could easily get the idea that they should avoid both at all cost. While I do not PVP myself, much, I do accept the occasional odd duel. And some of my best experiences in the game have come from them.
What got me thinking this was is my newest Toon, Dr. Baddass, MD. He seems to be Duel Bait. People just can't seem to resist wanting to punch him in the face:biggrin:
I get about one random duel challenge an hour (not Duel Spammers, just people who think he would make a fun fight). I accept most of these and, so far, am doing well. And EVERY SINGLE ONE of them has been a positive experience, even the ones where few, if any, words were exchanged.
Half a dozen of them have been people just looking to test out a build against something more interesting than the standard monsters. These usually end up with conversations about various powers and build themes, along with Costume Building Theory ( a LOT of people want to know how I managed to get duel daggers, for instance. It's just a trick with the scaling of the Hands and choosing the proper Sword). Often we get an impromptu team going for a few missions. Its been fun and has added seriously to the Social aspect of this game.
I have quite a few cool stories in particular, but I want to avoid the dreaded Wall O' Text and just put out a request from the rest of you to share a few good fights from your past and offer some encouragement to the newer folks who have never given the system a try due to all the stories of Harassment and Greifing.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
Post edited by jorifice1 on

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My general mind set when going into a PvP match is: I am gonna get steamrolled!

Happens most of the time, then sometimes, on the very rare occassion I do something and I manage to win..

Been in hilarious BASH/UTC/Stronghold matches I remember dueling three Mind ATs where we all used PSI Lash on one another, for the entire match :tongue:

I suprised myself in a duel with one of my lesser characters and managed to deal a good amount of damage before dying.

Um, PvP's alot more fun when you don't expect to win.:biggrin:
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If that's your mindset before you start playing, then you already lost.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A while ago I was challenged by Pistol toon with the Swinging Travel Power. I was playing a Heavy Weapons Toon with the slowest and most awkward of the Travel Powers, Earth Flight. The Character was designed for high Defence and Damage Mitigation with only one really good attack and several Healing Pets. The end result was a fight where my opponent couldn't do any real damage to me and I couldn't hit him. He would swing by me shooting (to little or no effect) and I would hit him exactly once as he got closest to me. By the time he got around for another attack we were both already healed. This continued for an absurdly long time. It actually got so predictable that it was funny( think Peter Griffin Vs. the Giant Chicken). I was actually laughing out loud at my Desktop by the end of the fight. Eventually, I managed to corner him and end the fight with a few big hits, but it was fun while it lasted.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Every time I sign on I have nice fun polite duels with no aggro. Theres a few players that should know better but they still post crap on the PvP forums making themselves look like morons.

Most people that PvP dont act like this -.-
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Every time I sign on I have nice fun polite duels with no aggro. Theres a few players that should know better but they still post crap on the PvP forums making themselves look like morons.

Most people that PvP dont act like this -.-

Yeah, most people don't... but there's always those few that just seem to need to act out on a daily basis.. even if they haven't been in a duel that day. I don't really get it personally, why someone would behave like that over a game..especially when they act like that over pvp in this game...it's like feeling the need to make a big deal because you lost a pillow fight sometime last year.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My good times far outweigh the bad times of PvP. I haven't q'd since on alert went live though.
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I once spent about 20 minutes in a duel with a friend just knocking each other with Ricochet Throw because it looked like we were having a ***** slap fight at close range and sending ourselves flying with the force of our slaps.

Yes, we're that sophisticated.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I remember hitting 40 and being a cocky youngster who was new to the scene. I stepped into Carl's (then Carlos's) and found a group of French RPers running a training session.I decided on a whim to challenge the teacher, a L35 Might build... and I got my **** handed to me.

It was fun, and we began dueling each other on a regular basis, eventually getting to the point where more often than not, we went to thirty minute draws. We knocked each other around that damn gym so much it wasn't even funny, but we had a blast. (Then the Meless pass came and our duels were forever changed).

Yeah PVPers tend to be younger, immature, and some of them readily accept a smack culture without possessing the sense of humor that makes it fun rather than obnoxious. Nonetheless I've made a few friends in the PVP community, despite being a glass cannon Might concept build who's easily lolrolled. I'm not a PvPer except for occasional fun, but I like most of the ones I know (at least not the ones who've bought into anti-RP idiocy, and who can win gracefully) and wish it were better supported.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Let's see, positive stories of duels. Well... this one time I won a duel. The rest was all bad.

hmm... hero games... I'm just going to make a chart with smilies to denote the general level of positivity in my pvp experience from when I started playing this game until today.

:confused: --- :smile: --- :mad: --- :confused:

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Duels? Well, I had a weekly dueling club thing with my SG. Was fun for a while, we screwed around and had a blast. Kinda died off though, due to most of us not having time.

Let's see...Favourite PvP? Uh...Before On Alert hit, I did a few Archetype games with a Devastator. The queue threw me against five people one time. Instead of everyone picking me apart, it was a fun little 1v1 party, with people chatting on the side while I waged unending war against a guy in the cagematch ring.

That's...About it really.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Most fun I have dueling?

That's easy.

I have the most fun dueling when I am fighting another Might based build. I have even more fun when both of us are using the team dueling function of having no boundaries.

We knock each other into buildings, pummel each other with haymakers strong enough to shatter concrete to dust. I enjoy it when we both fly in the air also, and with no boundaries thanks to team dueling function, it makes it that much better. 2 super strength titans battling in the mid air, and knocking each other everywhere through out the entire MC zone. Like a clash of supermen fighting each other.

I like duels like this, and I haven't had one like this in a long time. So to all those might based toons that can take a hit ( not to brag, but I hit very hard for a tank ), and enjoy having a fight where we have no boundary limit, and knocking each other everywhere with our unmatched strength, find me in RenCen near defender! I enjoy brawls.
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    Most fun I have dueling?

That's easy.

I have the most fun dueling when I am fighting another Might based build. I have even more fun when both of us are using the team dueling function of having no boundaries.

We knock each other into buildings, pummel each other with haymakers strong enough to shatter concrete to dust. I enjoy it when we both fly in the air also, and with no boundaries thanks to team dueling function, it makes it that much better. 2 super strength titans battling in the mid air, and knocking each other everywhere through out the entire MC zone. Like a clash of supermen fighting each other.

I like duels like this, and I haven't had one like this in a long time. So to all those might based toons that can take a hit ( not to brag, but I hit very hard for a tank ), and enjoy having a fight where we have no boundary limit, and knocking each other everywhere with our unmatched strength, find me in RenCen near defender! I enjoy brawls.

hurhurhur, Caliga and Black Diamond <3:biggrin:
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think it was during CORP's 2011 CORPfest. I took part in the hardcore category and used my Imbue + Unleashed Rage build.

There was this one match, and I can't remember who it was against exactly (sorry!) but it was versus a stealth > murder build. I frequently fell on the brink of death and they regularly dodged (both mechanically and literally by predicting) my UR. The fight was really intense and I was at the edge of my seat, maximally focused and it being 4AM in Euro time...

Then, at one moment, they don't back off and attempt to finish me off since they had full health. I could have activated Resurgence to save my butt, but I decided to go with a ditch-effort and popped UR instead, hopping it would activate before their own attack (it was Dragon's Wrath, I think).

Surely enough, it did, and I won with 100hp left. It was intenses as hell, since the fights were in the cramped Dojo and I was just waiting for the stealthed person to pop-up and obliterate me.

Also!

Before the Sneak changes happened, I used to do a custom game mode called VIPER Sniper. Insanely fun: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=146357

I generally have very good experiences with duels. With general PvP, not that much, but mostly because my build and skill level aren't that interesting for the PvP modes. Duels and Team Duels, I enjoy thoroughly though.
  • vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've had fun on duels, but it's usually where someone challenges me, and we reach a stalemate.
    This one time, about a year ago now, before Alert, I had a character built to heal himself with very little effort.
    As such, in a duel from a person, I pretty much recieved no damage from him, even though he was hitting me with everything he had, orbital cannon, rocket launchers, even a few knockback powers, which I just got up and healed from.

Eventually, he conceeded that my build was more survivable than what he could dish out, and I respected his yielding, and then used my few attack powers to end the duel (we couldn't immediately figure out how to end the duel without someone actually losing, so we just decided to just let the winner kill the effective loser.).

The thing is that you need to establish dialogue, for good dueling experience. Don't just fight in silence, comment on your opponent! Praise their costume design, or build! You're not REALLY fighting IRL, so be pleasant, and the experience will be pleasant.

Of course, some obvious trashtalk that isn't too personal can lighten the mood. My tip is to make it absurd enough to create a silence.

"You punch like A BANANA."
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait?
    Team Dueling does not have the boundary?
    You could have a duel all over Millenium City?

If that is the case, then I need to get in on this action. It is one of the few things I like about DCUO--the ability to have a neighborhood or city-spanning fight between supers.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wonder why everyone's best PvP experience ends up with a win...
    My favorite duel is the one I had with Xeno, in October or so, when you could feel the tension from both sides...every PvP player or just spectators had gathered around us in Ren Cen, since he and I have had our disputes.
    I lost that game, after a fight that lasted 15 minutes or so, yet, after the duel, we both said good fight, and complimented each other(well, I'll take what he said as a compliment at least lol).
    edited April 2013
    Wait?
    Team Dueling does not have the boundary?
    You could have a duel all over Millenium City?

If that is the case, then I need to get in on this action. It is one of the few things I like about DCUO--the ability to have a neighborhood or city-spanning fight between supers.

Yes, Team dueling does not have a duel boundary dome. You could just team duel somebody, and then go hide somewhere for like 20 minutes. Then come back, you see them in the tailor, and BAM!!! START BEATING THEIR FACE! hahahaha. But yeah, Team dueling is zone wide.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some people actually have fun losing duels too. Expecting to lose makes it interesting when you end up facing someone who doesn't play a cookie cutter, rinse repeat pattern.

But I enjoy the duels more when they don't end up being a whine fest if someone used devices or "cheap tactics".

If someone's gonna run around like a spaz, let them run. Just don't cry if I decide to leave or surrender because of it. Remember, running out of bounds won't add an inch to your e-peen.

Another thing that makes dueling fun is someone around to rez you reliably. Having to recover and get back kills the mood for me.
    edited April 2013
    Personally I never turn down any duel challenges. My pride yells at me if I do :frown:
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For duels, I love the stalemates. My favorite duels are the ones where we're hammering at each other until the bubble just goes away and the duel ends. I've only had it happen a few times, but I flat out love when I'm evenly matched with someone enough that the game goes "Screw it, nobody wins".

My favorite pvp story? Well, it's not a singular event, but pre on-alert...

I was pretty widely known to be a monster in pvp with the cursed AT. It was right after it was released, and I'd regularly take that thing into stronghold, bash, or just about any other mode I could get my hands on. I never tagged, but for the most part only Xeno and Vixy ever reliably beat my scores. I love that just because there was a misconception at the time that ATs weren't viable in pvp. Blademaster and I put a hell of a dent in that, because he was equally vicious with his Blade. Was a good feeling, to take an "inferior" character into pvp and eat some faces.

Truth be told, I just miss the pvp in this game, period. I can't see any reason to do it, because the rewards are awful and the queues pop about once a month. I miss when pvp had all the good gear, and the huge community that spawned as a result. That'd also be a huge favorite memory. When CoPvP channel was so full that it was more active than zone, and pvp queues popped on average every 2 minutes or so.

I remember in a certain ZA match, someone had a permastealthed sniper build. We literally COULD NOT FIND THEM, and one by one, the entire hero side popped. They wiped out those of us with +per gear, first, and proceeded to just chew their way through everyone else. None of the heroes came out and fought, because we saw what this guy was doing: single handedly wiping out like 20 people without a scratch. This was with that ridiculously OP 200k acclaim sniper rifle that would throw out like 20k a shot. Mighta been one of the coolest things I've ever seen in pvp, short of Sister Smash tanking the entire zombie apocalypse alert, 10 players and all. She. Would. Not. Die.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Most of the positive stories come from the pre-alert time when there could be surprises and build variations, nights of debauchery on Vent, build tinkering, possible counters to builds and all that.

Rest is done out of concept, or style, or epicness, willing to duel Alpha Omega because we found out that it would be cool for two massive enforcer type robots to smash eachother.

• zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The key to enjoyable PvP for me is knife edge matches, where it could go either way. I don't enjoy humiliating defeats, and being part of a steamroller may be amusing for a little while but just has no thrill.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the only positive games I played were running around in ZA with my invincible dodge tank before the On Alert patch, and the occasional ZA game with my first anti-PvP melee build last March. Everything else is pretty much a blur, although 0wning everyone in Stronghold Apocalypse and UTC cage match with Yuko was awesome. xD
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the most positive stories come from the ancient times of pre f2p patch or something. Can't really remember specific duels or anything but I enjoyed Hero Games alot, especially Stronghold, UTC and Zombie Apoc. (I didn't touch BASH back then at all, so I was left out all the drama that went on (I wasnt active on the forums either :biggrin:)

i think most fun I had was with Violet Hot (I've mentioned her couple of times here) that was DEX/EGO build with most powers just to annoy people. Haha. Knocks, holds, roots, debuffs n all that. Not much on damage.

OF course I used to play lotsa Stronghold games with Manal Ar, healing the bosses, npc's and team mates, which was fun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
    edited April 2013
    I enjoy concept duels with no PvP advantages, that sort of thing is refreshing to do.

So like a Force Concept vs a Fire Concept toon etc.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Some time back I queued for BASH late one night and got it to pop fairly quickly. I zoned into the map and saw a fight in progress between a couple of players while a couple more seemed to be just moving around without attacking. I wasn't sure what to make of the two who weren't fighting but I figured I'd join in on the fight I could see going on near the parking garage.

I popped Sonic Device and fired off a charged Torrent of arrows. Almost immediately everyone on the map started asking me to hold off. Turns out that they were taking turns dueling each other there in the BASH map. I watched the remainder of the existing fight and joined the duel rotation. We all chatted throughout, gave advice on builds and play style (this was early enough on that a lot of what is taken for granted now had not yet been set in stone) while applauding each other's successes. No trash talking, everyone (Darkened Might, Solo, Kidbs, and a couple more that I dont remember at this time) was very cool.

There was a sense that CO's PvP had a bright future (despite the challenges of balancing a freeform system) and everyone was in it for the fun. And it was just that, very fun.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I had some good PvP matches... mainly with friends to test our builds and for fun...

Then with a goth girl that I can't remember her name and have not seen in a while, she beat the **** out of me... and was a lot of fun...

Sadly most experiences are random person challenging me without even asking... sometimes even a lvl 40 challenging one of my below 20 chars -.-

If you can't even bother to ask for a Duel and just challenge, I'll just accept and stand there patiently waiting for you to stroke your ego and defeat me... without even trying to fight back.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Some time back I queued for BASH late one night and got it to pop fairly quickly. I zoned into the map and saw a fight in progress between a couple of players while a couple more seemed to be just moving around without attacking. I wasn't sure what to make of the two who weren't fighting but I figured I'd join in on the fight I could see going on near the parking garage.

I popped Sonic Device and fired off a charged Torrent of arrows. Almost immediately everyone on the map started asking me to hold off. Turns out that they were taking turns dueling each other there in the BASH map. I watched the remainder of the existing fight and joined the duel rotation. We all chatted throughout, gave advice on builds and play style (this was early enough on that a lot of what is taken for granted now had not yet been set in stone) while applauding each other's successes. No trash talking, everyone (Darkened Might, Solo, Kidbs, and a couple more that I dont remember at this time) was very cool.

There was a sense that CO's PvP had a bright future (despite the challenges of balancing a freeform system) and everyone was in it for the fun. And it was just that, very fun.

That is a great idea, using BASH for a PvP tournament or dueling practice.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Best duel stories I've ever had...

Well, I've had the following 'interesting' thing happen...

As a Roleplayer, in-character, my toon won't resort to petty brawling in the streets like some ignorant moron. Not to mention, he doesn't believe in using violence to boost his ego- and he trains how he fights... with live ammo. So, rarely do I PvP. But...

I had someone hit me with a random duel request. I just kind of said, 'what the hell?' and went with it. Well, dude stomped me pretty good... and gave me one of the power replacer/costume unlocks that unlocked a Tech Sword model. Which was pretty cool. Never said anything else at all.

Sometimes I will duel with friends, but even I have a few friends who've put me off PvP because they throw tantrums when I fight using a 'cheap' attack.

Otherwise, I avoid the PvP crowd like it's made of Hitler poop. Sorry, too many bad attitudes.
    edited April 2013
    I hate when people do that 1v1 stuff in bash... you wanna duel, head to rencen, don't boring up pvp.. might as well just do some pve if thats what ya want.

• lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My favorite duel was pre alert and way back. Fighting Sister Smash.
    I thought i was the best tank ever. Until, she beat me. Took awhile, but it was fun.

Also, there were a lot of good games in ZA. Those were the days.
    But after the alert, things kinda went down hill. Fast. Attitudes and ganking. Copy builds.
    No Pvp love from the devs. To be open about it, even before the alert pass everything pvp was going down hill.

But yeah, at one time i loved Pvp.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    I hate when people do that 1v1 stuff in bash... you wanna duel, head to rencen, don't boring up pvp.. might as well just do some pve if thats what ya want.

Everyone there seemed to be enjoying themselves, and this was at a time in CO PvP when multiple queue pops were pretty common. There was no team duel option for large area dueling, and It was very late. No harm done then...I don't know that it would be a great idea now.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited May 2013
    katasyntax wrote: »
    That's why those vile, heartless degenerates couldn't compete after On Alert: they were always vacuous powerbuilders.

You m0rtals always want the easy way out: you want hand-me-down builds, strategies, and devices.

You people are too weak-minded to succeed in pvp without your nooby powers, devices, and ignorant, opinionated sort-of powerbuilders. That's why you fail. I may be "me," but at least I'm me and not a clone of you or some other scumbag.

That's the difference between you and me: I never cared who you are, I don't avoid "hard targets," but you seem to care who I am.

Any fool can run to the light; it takes a master with great courage to face the darkness and shine her own light there.

Lawl way to be melodramatic:rolleyes:
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I was in a 2 vs 2 team duel with all Might users.

Called it after about 45 mins of knocking each other from one end of the ren center to the other.

Might vs Might duels are always fun.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lawl way to be melodramatic:rolleyes:
    Just ignore Lucy - she's just trolling because she thinks getting around bans with secondary accounts is kewl.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited May 2013
    Oh I did not realize that person was being deceptive. I thought it was some new person haha.