test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Silly Players...

fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
We already have the foundry.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-03-neverwinter-draft
Another nifty way Neverwinter stands out is by allowing user-generated content. There's a tool called the Foundry that's been live - and therefore constantly iterated upon - in Star Trek Online and Champions Online for years. It's also in Neverwinter; fitting, really, given the modding scene that sprung up around Neverwinter Nights, the BioWare RPG.

Looks like we can stop whining guys, we've had it this WHOLE time! This article posted yesterday can't possibly be wrong, could it!?
@HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
Post edited by fudgemonsta on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh snap! Cool!
    biffsig.jpg
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This made me laugh pretty hard. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    2 days ago, too!
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No, no, I suppose it couldn't.
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i'll believe it when i see it
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why yes, we have the foundry... in the demorecord!
    edited April 2013
    This is such a sick joke. All the promises that were made to us so long ago just go up in smoke, and now articles that flat out just LIE about the game.
    edited April 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    This is such a sick joke. All the promises that were made to us so long ago just go up in smoke, and now articles that flat out just LIE about the game.

Oh, no, no, no, no, they're not lies. They're just accuracy-challenged truths.
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What a disgusting article.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, no, no, no, no, they're not lies. They're just accuracy-challenged truths.

Your trolling level is less than this guy though:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7qALPZC7wg

:biggrin:
  • dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you know after reading that i am half tempted to call them all out, and ask them WTF is going on here.

this is going WAY beyond words and excuses, it really is
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »

Actually I was just making a sarcastic one-liner utilizing Duckspeak. Cryptic seems to operate with an Orwellian Newspeak dictionary, after all.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you know after reading that i am half tempted to call them all out, and ask them WTF is going on here.

this is going WAY beyond words and excuses, it really is
    I can tell you WTF is going on - an article (a puff piece, really) written by someone who doesn't actually play any Cryptic games, and who is assuming that Cryptic would have the same features in all three of their offerings.

It's interesting that folks jump straight to "lie", without even pausing at "mistake". Were you under the impression that this was a Cryptic press release, rather than a half-assed online magazine article?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2013
    Hm. Life imitates art.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "Neverwinter is going to be the best game that Cryptic has ever made"

Hopefully it won't be the only game they ever put development time into.
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It better be the best, or Cryptic will go out of business.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    NO problem, read the article. contacted the company with a correction.

IN your article on Neverwinter F2P MMO,
    Another nifty way Neverwinter stands out is by allowing user-generated content. There's a tool called the Foundry that's been live - and therefore constantly iterated upon - in Star Trek Online and Champions Online for years. It's also in Neverwinter; fitting, really, given the modding scene that sprung up around Neverwinter Nights, the BioWare RPG.

Champions online does NOT have the Foundry, despite players asking for it since Star trek online got it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• jayleia1jayleia1 Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I can tell you WTF is going on - an article (a puff piece, really) written by someone who doesn't actually play any Cryptic games, and who is assuming that Cryptic would have the same features in all three of their offerings.

It's interesting that folks jump straight to "lie", without even pausing at "mistake". Were you under the impression that this was a Cryptic press release, rather than a half-assed online magazine article?

Given the number of things that we've been told about CO that were...shall we say, clearly known to be incorrect by the people that told us, "jumping straight to "lie"" is the most logical course of action.

However, after reading it, I agree, it was an article written by someone that knows nothing about the games, which leads me to wonder why they would write about something they clearly knew nothing about. It does them, and us, and Cryptic no good in the long run.
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

I am pretty much sure this is what has happened as well.
    edited April 2013
    all fixed. I emailed them and got a reply back, check the 2 times of my messages for how long it took.

Robert Purchese (bert@eurogamer.net)

8:32 PM

To:
    (we'll just remove my email address)

Hi Barbara,

My apologies. I wrongly assumed it had been added. I remember talking to Cryptic yonks ago about it and assumed they'd done it. My mistake.

I've changed the article now.

Thanks for getting in touch. I do miss things like this - probably more than I ought to (shh don't tell anyone) - so having people point things out helps me improve my work and I'm grateful for that.

My best,

Bertie

I also replied and told him to feel free to harass cryptic about it. :)

edited April 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    all fixed. I emailed them and got a reply back, check the 2 times of my messages for how long it took.

To:

Hi Barbara,

My apologies. I wrongly assumed it had been added. I remember talking to Cryptic yonks ago about it and assumed they'd done it. My mistake.

Thanks for getting in touch. I do miss things like this - probably more than I ought to (shh don't tell anyone) - so having people point things out helps me improve my work and I'm grateful for that.

My best,

Bertie

You. Yooouuu!! You you you! Are now. My hero.
    edited April 2013
    Now if you can just fix that little patch on the front right of your chariot which is transparent when you look from the front of it and from behind the character looking at it. I'll see if I can see it on another and post the picture.

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »

LOL, people like this guy make me smile. The girls' attitude in this video is why I don't play competitively in PvP/Deathmatch.

And also why I don't date gamer 'grrrls'.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited April 2013

To:

Hi Barbara,

My best,

Bertie

Cryptic Promises = The_Cake_is_a_Lie_by_IIX4II.jpg
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I made sure to post a loooooong comment about the state of things waaaaaaaay down there. Dunno why. Pretty much encapsulates my frustrations with CO right now though!
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013

To:

Hi Barbara,

My best,

Bertie

/salute

20 premium kudos to you.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gaming "journalism" at it's finest, folks.

Kudos to chaelk for getting that straightened out.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    From the article:
    It's awesome to be able to be the first western MMO that's basically been built from the ground-up as a free-to-play game

What a load of ####.
    What we try to do at Cryptic is monetise the people who are really excited about the game and really love the game

By not listening to them....rrrright?
    "most game companies so far haven't really learned ... how to go about monetising [people]".

Yes....they have....YOU..HAVENT. Oh dear god i cant believe you just said that....just.....wowsers.

---

Overall: You havent learned a damn thing.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know, I feel torn about feedback.

Because, really, a creative group should only listen a LITTLE to feedback. Listening to lots of feedback, good AND bad, can really f' up the process.

What the game needs is not someone to listen to us, it's someone with vision and resources to expand the game.
    We may or may not like the specific items the game includes, but I think many of us can adjust to a game that has a lot of life to it (however we might kvetch).

For example, if Vehicles and Alerts were part of a long list of improvements and expansions of the game, I think even those who didn't like them wouldn't worry that much. They'd think 'man, they put out an Alert instead of a fifth Region vs. Region pvp map! We only got 4 region pvp maps and revamped rewards! Oh well.'

This phenomena of 'feedback can be bad' is noted, among many places, in this fun article about the real phenomena of CURSES. Woo!
    http://io9.com/curse-me-like-you-mean-it-using-psychology-to-make-you-469447923

Edit: Additional thought:
    To do good work for an audience doesn't rely on feedback, but on understanding your audience. To varying degrees 'understanding your audience' may require feedback, but only within narrow bounds.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its like North Korea, all full of rhetoric.
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    You know, I feel torn about feedback.

Because, really, a creative group should only listen a LITTLE to feedback. Listening to lots of feedback, good AND bad, can really f' up the process.

What the game needs is not someone to listen to us, it's someone with vision and resources to expand the game.
    We may or may not like the specific items the game includes, but I think many of us can adjust to a game that has a lot of life to it (however we might kvetch).

For example, if Vehicles and Alerts were part of a long list of improvements and expansions of the game, I think even those who didn't like them wouldn't worry that much. They'd think 'man, they put out an Alert instead of a fifth Region vs. Region pvp map! We only got 4 region pvp maps and revamped rewards! Oh well.'

Edit: Additional thought:
    To do good work for an audience doesn't rely on feedback, but on understanding your audience. To varying degrees 'understanding your audience' may require feedback, but only within narrow bounds.

1. What we have is someone who doesn't even seem to admit that CO exists. He mentions STO a lot and Nevermind but not CO. Going on some of the posts about how he left COH and started CO, I'm beginnning to suspect it was out of spite and that once it was done he had no interest in actually doing anything with it.
    This however, is entirely PERSONAL opinion and in no way shape or form, should be taken as fact. He may simply have been told to prioritize the other games.

2. Unfortunately as we have seen from the ask cryptic answers, the vehicles and associated short term events(with attached lockboxes) ARE our expansions. It has been stated that we are getting a group of them, so that they can just rotate them throughout the year.

it brings me to mind, a farmer with 2 dairy herds, the first one gets put in a padock, milked every day and given some water to drink.
    The milk is sold and used to buy a big shed, shady trees, special food for herd 2. While anyone asking is told how well herd 2 is going but no mention is made of herd 1.

3. WE would at least like a second start area. WE had 2 before, Canada and Desert, then they were changed to be higher level and we were given the ONE in Westside instead.

Which was actually in the UNtil feild report I think, under you will be getting a new start area ,not hudson city but a bad part of Millenium City.

4. Monetise-
    1. to legalize as money.

2. to coin into money: to monetize gold. (or in our case questionite)

3. to give the character of money to. (questionite)

4. Economics . to convert (a debt, especially the national debt) into currency, especially by issuing government securities or notes.

yes, he is correctly using the word, he is converting players that like the game into money.

In some[which?] industry sectors, monetization is a buzzword for adapting non-revenue-generating assets to generate revenue. Failure to monetize web sites was a problem that caused many businesses to fold during the dot-com bust. Web sites that do generate revenue are often monetized via advertisements or subscription fees. A previously free product may have premium options added thus becoming freemium.

• roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    . . . Trix are for kids!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.