test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Exclusive: Champions Online challenges players to take on the Forum Malvanum

Comments

• rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A race could be a fun use for vehicles: or just people with R3 Super speedy powers. As long as that's not the only element of the finale scenario, it's okay with me.

And this is what I'm the most worried about: That if you don't own a Grav Bike (since those are the fastest) min-maxed for speed, you won't stand a chance in that race.
    Also; that only by winning the race, you would get a small chance (drop box a la Hi-Pan) to get the chariot.

Knowing PW, I would bet that's exactly what they are going for. :frown:
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Actually the prototype Hawkwings are fastest :x
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Wow, typical CO forums.

You get the communication and content you have been crying about, and it just adds more tears.

Reminds me of Toddlers
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    Wow, typical CO forums.

You get the communication and content you have been crying about, and it just adds more tears.

Reminds me of Toddlers
    And it's complete with that one guy who has to come in and talk down to everyone like he's superior.

Seriously.

Stop. People have a right to voice their displeasure at something. If you have a problem with this, perhaps you should not have the internet and never leave your home.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    @hocofaisan

My only complaints are that this is going to be temporary, have lockboxes involved and may or may not be vehicle-centric. Otherwise bring on the content. :P
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    falchoin wrote: »
    Since we all know you won't expand or fix what's already in game, can we at least move on to the next new shiny and leave vehicles mouldering in their lockboxes after this?

It seems that THIS is the new shiny :
    our usual cycle is a six-week story arc, from the first release to the final mission's release, and the final mission will probably stay around for three weeks after release.

Of course in combination with Vehicles since they are so awsome and everybody wanted them, so we get Vehicles now instead of new Costumes.

And the more i think about that .. this is maybe really the (sad) true story why we hadn't got any new costumes for ages .. because we got Vehicles instead :frown:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    And it's complete with that one guy who has to come in and talk down to everyone like he's superior.

Seriously.

Stop. People have a right to voice their displeasure at something. If you have a problem with this, perhaps you should not have the internet and never leave your home.

Telling him to stop seems rather unfair. He has the right to voice his displeasure at something. Maybe because English isn't my first language, but I recall someone saying that:
    People have a right to voice their displeasure at something.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lestylo wrote: »
    Telling him to stop seems rather unfair. He has the right to voice his displeasure at something. Maybe because English isn't my first language, but I recall someone saying that:

There is a difference between expressing dissatisfaction with a product, communicating it to the merchant, and insulting other customers of said merchant.

Kind of a big difference actually.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013

There's a difference between voicing your opinion and trying to troll a thread.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited March 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    There is a difference between expressing dissatisfaction with a product, communicating it to the merchant, and insulting other customers of said merchant.

Kind of a big difference actually.

It seems more like he was criticizing what he was seeing. I have no problem with that. It seems unfair to throw about opinions and then say he is not allowed to do so. You added your spin to it (and if he wanted to be clear than he should) but I've seen people bashed for thinking positively of the game or company and nothing is said when that happens.

"People have a right to voice their displeasure at something."

That's all he was doing. I find it interesting because he is not the first person to comment on this trend (people complaining about things despite asking for things - I won't bother talking about the justification of that or not). I wonder if those people aren't allowed to comment on things as well....

There's a difference between voicing your opinion and trying to troll a thread.

How was it trolling? Seriously, I want to know. It seems that anything people seem to dislike or is unpopular is considered trolling around here. Then again, this is the CO forums.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Dunno why everybody just cant get along :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Dunno why everybody just cant get along :I

Because you.

And your face.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

Because you.

And your face.

:O

Depressed-Cat-3.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2013
    taaaaaaw poobabbys
    taaaw.jpg

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hocofaisan wrote: »
    Wow, typical CO forums.

Reminds me of Toddlers
    keikomyst wrote: »
    @hocofaisan

My only complaints are that this is going to be temporary, have lockboxes involved and may or may not be vehicle-centric. Otherwise bring on the content. :P

That is indeed also my only complaint. Why can't these Lemurian Invasion and Forum Malvanum style events stick around? Why do they have to be cycled out? It makes no sense when this game is starving for new, permanent content.
    How was it trolling? Seriously, I want to know.

Perhaps it was the part where he compared everyone to toddlers.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If they're smart, any race would include obstacles, (destructable or otherwise), which would require you use your powers and maneuverability in order to win. By doing this, player characters can use their superior maneuverability and better selection of skills to make up for the lack of top-end speed.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited March 2013
    I have this strange feeling that during the race we won't actually be using our own vehicles, we'll be using those hover chariot things. That way, how much you have tricked out your own personal vehicle won't matter, because you won't be using it.

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    -snip-

How was it trolling? Seriously, I want to know. It seems that anything people seem to dislike or is unpopular is considered trolling around here. Then again, this is the CO forums.

Kojiro pretty much hit the nail on the head. Having differing opinions is one thing. Comparing the forum goers to toddlers because of differing opinions is quite another.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Like most threads in this forum, the discussion has turned to arguing ABOUT each other, rather than WITH each other.

Alas, I am even doing it myself now.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That is indeed also my only complaint. Why can't these Lemurian Invasion and Forum Malvanum style events stick around? Why do they have to be cycled out? It makes no sense when this game is starving for new, permanent content.

Turtle mentioned (not sure if in forum or in game) that they only have a certain amount of space to do these events in, and they can't have more than one at a time.

There is a silver lining though. If all the events were up at the same time, it's possible that people wouldn't queue for them very much. As long as they have one up all the time, I'd be fine with that, kinda like the custom alerts.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Turtle mentioned (not sure if in forum or in game) that they only have a certain amount of space to do these events in, and they can't have more than one at a time.

There is a silver lining though. If all the events were up at the same time, it's possible that people wouldn't queue for them very much. As long as they have one up all the time, I'd be fine with that, kinda like the custom alerts.

:eek: So wait... my crackpot theory about no available space for new permanent content is true?

....But I was being facetious....
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hey, hardware and bandwidth cost money.

Besides, Smacky's got a point - Gravitar's a permanent thing, for instance, and it's getting pretty hard to get enough 35+ players together to get the Rampage going. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to scrape up enough players for Gravitar, the Bleak Harbinger, and the Malvan race?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    HCan you imagine what it would be like trying to scrape up enough players for Gravitar, the Bleak Harbinger, and the Malvan race?

I know!

We'd have to have something.. well.. like a player base of real size,, or something..

You'd have to have content and stuff to do aside from the bare bones..

Or..

PvP that's fun and supported..

or..

A vibrant and well supported Rp community..

Hmmm..

Nah, none of those things will ever work here ^_-

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Maybe they could trim the Lemurian Invasion to consist of *just* the Bleak Harbinger fight, and have that as an alternate Rampage Alert?

Speaking of which, has that fire/ice Rampage been scrapped?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It can take a long time to get the Harbinger queue fired up now and it's going away shortly.

If it was permanent you'd best have a pair of teams made ahead of time to kick it off.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Speaking of which, has that fire/ice Rampage been scrapped?

I think all work done by GentleManCrush has been removed from the production schedule
    edited March 2013
    Hey, hardware and bandwidth cost money.

Besides, Smacky's got a point - Gravitar's a permanent thing, for instance, and it's getting pretty hard to get enough 35+ players together to get the Rampage going. Can you imagine what it would be like trying to scrape up enough players for Gravitar, the Bleak Harbinger, and the Malvan race?

Big question is .. why they do then create all these 10 man alters .. oh yeah because some people constantly cried for "raids" .. the same as some people always wanted Vehicles :rolleyes:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    New content!

Yessshhh!!

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
    edited March 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    Big question is .. why they do then create all these 10 man alters .. oh yeah because some people constantly cried for "raids" .. the same as some people always wanted Vehicles :rolleyes:
    Yes, some people constantly cried for raids. And they're still crying for more, because they can't seem to conceive of any sort of "endgame" other than that in games like WoW.

So hey, we get raids. At least ours are more fun than theirs.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited March 2013

If you think about it, temporary content is smarter in a numbers sort of way.

If they basically just kept coming out with permanent additions to the game, then people might get the idea to just stop playing for a few months while the additions build up, then come back to a bunch of new stuff to do. Certainly crossed my mind.

If the content is temporary, then we can't do that. If we go away for a few months, then we miss out on all the temporary stuff that happened in the mean time. This means if we want to experience the new stuff, we have to stay active and keep logging in.

This keeps the server activity up. With the former scenario, you might see a large dip in player activity, which is bad for business in a number of ways: the game looks even more dead, less people are farming questionite for people to spend money buying, and anyone looking at the numbers financially sees less potential for profit in comparison to the continuing fixed expenses.

We keep thinking they're incompetent... but maybe they're quite a bit more competent than we know.

edited March 2013
    Yes, some people constantly cried for raids. And they're still crying for more, because they can't seem to conceive of any sort of "endgame" other than that in games like WoW.

So hey, we get raids. At least ours are more fun than theirs.

Yepp .. so much more fund that it is hard to get enough people to play more than one of them, like you said.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't know there was a Precognition powerset...

No he's right. It's in lockboxes, along with Legion gear. You're the one being a tad delusional, and wrong.

enu7y.gif

Better start saving keys now! :wink: Raise the market price of keys above 100g if you want to make your SG wealthy

(PS: People were sharing this image link in-game, figured I'd share it here too. Why not eh?)
    A race could be a fun use for vehicles: or just people with R3 Super speedy powers. As long as that's not the only element of the finale scenario, it's okay with me.

I'll hold judgment for later. So far the event system have not even come close to grabbing me in the same way as APs or CSs, though there's been gradual improvement over time.

My thoughts exactly.

In fact I wonder if this was because of me doing races with the Hawkwings in the desert, before the speed was nerfed, and showing it to other people (including TrailTurtle). I clearly and repeatedly said the most fun thing about them was the speed, and I still agree with that.

Boo firepower on vehicles! Yay speed & racing with vehicles!

Boo not working on fixing rewards, bugs, and Zones! Yay at least we're getting some new content, and Legion Gear isn't just going to be Takofanes Caches anymore!
    edited March 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »

But .. but .. then they must first create new awsome Speed-Mods for vehicles, since else
    they are simply become devices .. and we all now that was just the initial beta phase before
    they got so exiting customizable.

Also .. talking bout speed .. do you remember when we had the bug where we could stack
    more than one travel power ? THAT was speed and no Vehicles needed.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    But .. but .. then they must first create new awsome Speed-Mods for vehicles, since else
    they are simply become devices .. and we all now that was just the initial beta phase before

Also .. talking bout speed .. do you remember when we had the bug where we could stack

Pfff. You don't need dual superspeeds.

What you need is Acro/Athletics + Swinging. THAT was epic.
    edited March 2013

Not entirely surprised by this. Not the same but when modding some games, there seems to be limits to the amount of things can be added. I've noticed with this game some things tend to take place where others used to. I assume it's something similar. Then again, a steady stream of new things is a pretty decent deal. I'd like more but I can deal with this for a while.

Kojiro pretty much hit the nail on the head. Having differing opinions is one thing. Comparing the forum goers to toddlers because of differing opinions is quite another.
    Perhaps it was the part where he compared everyone to toddlers.

Maybe it's because I've been accused of being a viral marketer, or called much worse on here or seen others called worse without anyone batting an eye, but that seems rather thin-skinned thing to get upset about. In any case whatever.

Speed lockboxes. [starts puking]
    edited March 2013

Boo not working on fixing rewards, bugs, and Zones! Yay at least we're getting some new content, and Legion Gear isn't just going to be Takofanes Caches anymore!

You forgot Telepathy.
    #TelepathyNOW
    No he's right. It's in lockboxes, along with Legion gear. You're the one being a tad delusional, and wrong.

Jonsills is immune to facts.. his faith is unwavering. You, heretic, will renounce your accusations immediately.
    edited March 2013

enu7y.gif
    And of course everything on the PTS goes straight into Live without modification, just like those Telepathy powers, right?

• valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The chariot is the first vehicle I've seen that I'm even remotely interested in. I don't think I would buy a bunch of keys for it, but I would buy it from the store if it were available.

I wasn't wild about the Lemurian event, but this one sounds like fun to me.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I was a big fan of Flying + RADSphere. And Acro/Ath + RADSphere = HAPPY FUN SUPER BOUNCY BALL! ^_^
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Jonsills is immune to facts.. his faith is unwavering. You, heretic, will renounce your accusations immediately.

^^^This.^^^ I've quit reading his posts because the blind optimism contained therein simply blows my mind. I just wish I could figure out how to "ignore" specific posters like we could in Ye Olden Forums. :rolleyes:
  • sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I just wish I could figure out how to "ignore" specific posters like we could in Ye Olden Forums. :rolleyes:

That functionality was lost when Cryptic switched over to the Perfect World forums and software. I wouldn't expect that ability to come back anytime soon, if ever. Trail Turtle would be the one to ask about this though.
    edited March 2013
    Maybe it's because I've been accused of being a viral marketer, or called much worse on here or seen others called worse without anyone batting an eye, but that seems rather thin-skinned thing to get upset about. In any case whatever.

So "lol, get a thicker skin?" Wow, you're a real piece of work. Your parents must be proud.
  • kallanidenkallaniden Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Shoulder pads returning? Probably not. :\
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Requoting the whole thing so you can't do any more BS with playing on words with what was said or not said:
    agentx5 wrote:
    JonSills wrote: »
    enixonbb wrote:
    I do have to admit I actually kinda like that grav chariot. It's got that sorta sci-fantasy look like something from a John Carter of Mars style story or something so mystic type characters can use it without feeling quite so out of place. Not gona fit everyone of course but its a better fit than the totally not Star Wars bikes and tanks are for magic uers.

I will DEFINATELY buy this grav chariot if it goes into the Z store!

It won't go to the store, but you can bet you'll get a CHANCE for getting one in a lockbox!!

The KEY, that's in the store.

I didn't know there was a Precognition powerset...

enu7y.gif

Better start saving keys now! :wink: Raise the market price of keys above 100g if you want to make your SG wealthy

(PS: People were sharing this image link in-game, figured I'd share it here too. Why not eh?)

And of course everything on the PTS goes straight into Live without modification, just like those Telepathy powers, right?

Obvious Red herring fallacy is obvious.
    (definition: a speaker attempts to distract an audience by deviating from the topic at hand by introducing a separate argument which the speaker believes will be easier to speak to)

Historically, many things on the PTS have historically come over as-is with lockboxes being unchanged from their PTS versions to their live versions. If they dramatically changed that lockbox, it would be the first time that was done. Inferences about % chance numbers being manipulated by time (i.e.: best odds are when the patch goes live, then Cryptic secretly reduces the chances of the jackpots) are based on observed evidence, but it's still kind of speculative. However speculation based on history is stronger than speculation which is not based on history.

Correlation > Causality

Even if the readers here can't put a finger on it, I think the readers here can see that my cautious optimism (Thundrax too) is wiser than your baseless/blind optimism -- my argument is stronger than yours, and I have even imagery to back mine up, where as yours is just a sarcastic red herring fallacy (as I wasn't accounting for ALL changes from PTS to Live, just the lockboxes, telepathy has nothing to do with what you took issue with).

Clcmercy implied there would be lockboxes. You accused him of precognition. Showed evidence to the contrary. You just didn't like that. That's all.

I was a big fan of Flying + RADSphere. And Acro/Ath + RADSphere = HAPPY FUN SUPER BOUNCY BALL! ^_^

YES! It reminded me of Sonic the Hedgehog

Although sometimes faster isn't better...

Sonic_the_hedgehog_Princess_tool.jpg

Yes, yes it was! Loved that so much!

PS: Even after that bug was fixed you could still use Ascension to give flight while you were tunneling. :wink:
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Ouch, that one burnt...it's not on LIVE yet..or on PTS (officially) for that matter.
    edited March 2013
    "Stated" is not "implied". He/she STATED that the item would be available only in a lockbox. This may prove true, IF the concept apparently currently on PTS is carried over. However, the delay/reworking of the Bleak Harbinger fight demonstrates that our devs (all two or three of them, doubtless) do occasionally pay attention to feedback, and alter things to please the players.

And when sarcasm is offered as argument, sarcasm in return is perfectly acceptable, I believe. Hence the reference to Telepathy - just ask Jay about how that's come straight over from PTS without changes.

As for "blind optimism" - I defer to Dr. Brin in my new sig.

edited March 2013
    As for "blind optimism" - I defer to Dr. Brin in my new sig.

And Dr. Brin is wrong.
    edited March 2013
    And when sarcasm is offered as argument, sarcasm in return is perfectly acceptable, I believe. Hence the reference to Telepathy - just ask Jay about how that's come straight over from PTS without changes.

Yes.. bring me into it. *Eye Roll*

Telepathy was slotted to go live but players (including myself) asked that the powers be rebalanced.

It was the right decision for the game, and ultimately lead to me quitting.

But by all means, scapegoat the unpopular internet forum poster to prove your point

#TelepathyNOW
    edited March 2013
    So "lol, get a thicker skin?" Wow, you're a real piece of work. Your parents must be proud.

Getting this flustered over such simple constructive criticism that isn't that insulting to begin with and ultimately just a harmless opinion? Oh dear. You sure showed me lol.

Look, a person is entitled to their opinion and are entitled to share it but I don't have to pay attention to that opinion if I feel it is rubbish. Much like you are entitled to be offended by something, but it doesn't automatically make what was said wrong or make you right nor do I have to care. That said, yeah, I do think you're being thin-skinned. Feel free to get mad. You are entitled to do so, and you're entitled to talk and vent about it but I'm not entitled to care. Report me if I violated any rules. The mods are pretty active on these boards after all.

Cheers. :rolleyes: :tongue:
    edited March 2013
    constructive criticism

Is that what you call that? You have an odd view of "constructive." Usually when people call someone "thin-skinned" they mean it as an insult.