test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do you play video games?

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
Folks seem to be discussing things a lot lately that in a very basic sense relate to this question. So there you go, no coaching, no pushing the conversation in a specific direction at the outset, I won't even respond to the question myself until the conversation is going a bit so I don't push it in any particular direction to start.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To keep the Dark Passenger at bay.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It depends on the genre.

I play MMOs for the customization and being able to show off my stuff to others.
    I play adventure games for the overall experience and story.
    I play racing games for the adrenaline rush.
    I play puzzle games for the challenge.
    I play simulators for the freedom of designing my own theme park, zoo, etc.

And I play lots of stupid stuff just for the achievements :biggrin:

I'd like to add that ''fun'' is what it all boils down to.
    All of the above examples feel fun and rewarding to me.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Folks seem to be discussing things a lot lately that in a very basic sense relate to this question. So there you go, no coaching, no pushing the conversation in a specific direction at the outset, I won't even respond to the question myself until the conversation is going a bit so I don't push it in any particular direction to start.

I play games for the same reason my wife reads her books. Enjoyment and entertainment purposes.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My life in the real world is boring. :biggrin:

I play video games for entertaintment of course. Nowadays I play Champions Online, Team Fortress 2 and occasionally Killing Floor and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Sometimes I like to get drunk and play videogames! Am having fun on all accounts, try it sometimes. Especially Champions Online is fun while intoxicated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play video games to entertain myself and to "do" things I never could in reality and to "experience" adventures that could never really happen.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cyrone wrote: »
    I play games for the same reason my wife reads her books. Enjoyment and entertainment purposes.

I play for the same reason. I would think this would be self-explanatory, but apparently we have to tell others why we play games.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why do I play Champions? To be a superhero and roleplay, considering that I've had a hard time finding a solid group of decent local tabletop gamers. It's also fun to be social and pretend to be a superhero while doing it. A guilty pleasure, I suppose. Sometimes I just play to see what others have created.

Otherwise- just to kill time and occupy myself. I like a good story. An interactive story is even better.

I don't play military first-person shooters because I'll have a PTSD episode from some of the (increasingly more accurate) sound effects. Besides, they bore me otherwise.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Games are a void, a vacuum, a cluttered box, an opened tomb, a dead man's wallet, the smell of cooking meat, the sound of bathing women, the howl of a wolf.

Mysteries to be uncovered, challenges to master, beasts to be captured, controlled, bred, traded and eaten.

Just on a very easy very lazy level.

If my food didn't come from a store, you can bet I'd rather hunt you and your chickens than play this game. If not to capture, control, breed, trade and eat you, just to say "I had some free time, I thought chasing you down with my dogs would be fun. Wasn't that fun? I had fun, now I'm hungry and hey...you're kind of cute..."
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play for the same reason. I would think this would be self-explanatory, but apparently we have to tell others why we play games.

Is it possible for you to be pleasant?

As for myself, I enjoy the combination of engaging my imagination, of living out different characters in a simulation, stories (such as they are -- game stories aren't often that good, but can be amusing), and the general progressive game rewards of RPGs.

For MMOs in particular, I like to have a cool looking character who does cool looking stuff in cool looking places. So I like powers that have interesting graphics or character animations -- this is one reason I rarely go for weapon sets in CO, because 'swing sword' and 'shoot gun' don't thrill me as much as 'giant lightning bolt' or 'summon minions of living darkness.'

'Cool looking places' often gives me a limit on my interest in a game, and particularly CO. Once I've been everywhere often enough, I get bored.

I like superhero games mainly because they force a rather broad avatar costume system, which appeals to my love of being creative and making cool looking characters -- I've made a character of living water, a tree guy, a giant fungus hero, a Lovecraftian horror/magician, a small gun robot, a fiddler-crab hero, and many many many more.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I can poke Caliga

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
    edited March 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Is it possible for you to be pleasant?

yao_ming.jpg
  • lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pleasant

You'd be surprised. ^_~
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play to counter boredem.

The type of game I play is for other reasons...but that is WHY I play games.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited March 2013
    I play to counter boredem.

The type of game I play is for other reasons...but that is WHY I play games.

That is a very deep answer.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    In my real life, I have very little personal agency. Barring a lottery win, I'll never make much of an impact on the world; the good (or harm) I can do is strictly small-scale and individual.

In games, however - I'm a superhero, I'm a rock star, I'm the Fourth Hero, I'm a genetically-engineered cybernetically-enhanced supersoldier, I'm a champion underground racer, I'm a starship commander, I'm anything and everything I ever wanted to be! It's the one venue where I do have personal agency, where what I do makes a difference to someone who doesn't live under my roof (even if most of those people aren't, technically speaking, real or anything).

Tabletop games are even better, because there what happens is limited only by our imaginations and the ruleset used, but when you're approaching 50 and have children it's harder to get a group together without someone assuming something kinky is going on and calling authorities...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Me? I have a very strange job. I work for a company that collects data on fish stocks. I spend over half my life at sea and when I am home I am either just getting back and in a state of profound exhaustion (12 18-20hr days in a row will do that to you) or getting ready to leave again (at witch point I am considered On Call and cannot stray very far from home or turn off my cell phone and have to be ready to leave town in less than an hour hence I cannot drink or travel). I can usually manage about 2-3 days in the middle there every month to have a life ;) What this boils down to is that my options for interacting with friends can be VERY limited at best. An MMO is something I can do with friends at any time of day or night with out leaving home.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I teach martial arts and go to school full time--my schedule is physically and mentally demanding, so I play video games for a few reasons: stress relief, fun, and to admire beautifully creative ideas people come up with. I don't play too many vid games any more--Champs is my exception since it doubles as a social outlet.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I teach martial arts too! Full time and have my own business, happily married and my life isn't boring (to me, someone else in my shoes might find it boring, but I like things the way they are). More money would be good, but other than that, not bored or unhappy.

But, I had an unhappy childhood with fairly crappy parents and I was very much a misfit, and comic books gave me an escape and raised me right. I could imagine so many things--flying around the universe, riding the winds of a storm, ripping a tank in half with my bare hands. And every month when the comic books came, I was witness, in fiction, to an extremely rare and beautiful event in human nature--someone with great power using that power for kindness and right rather than to abuse his or her fellow humans.

This was so beautiful to me that it guides me to this day. My friends and I spent many hours making up our own heroes and stories to fit them and drawing them and imagining their adventures. I never played an MMO before the City of Heroes, and if it weren't for Champions I may not be playing one now. But when a friend told me almost ten years ago that I could play a game where I could make up my own hero and don a cape and tights and fight evil with other heroes, well, what choice did I have?

It was a bit hard for me to watch my wife and son make Villains and be part of the problem rather than the solution :P. But in the end it is a game :), and it comforted me that my Heroes were always well built and equipped enough to handle them if they got out of line.

So, I play to be a Superhero.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Cause I don't watch TV . I cannot express how much I HATE television these days :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited March 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Cause I don't watch TV . I cannot express how much I HATE television these days :I
    Because you don't watch it you can't know what you hate.

TRON: Uprising was absolutely stunning.
    That's the only TV I've seen in a while, because it was on the internet.

Before that, before coming to Champions I had just caught up with
    every season and special of Battlestar Galactica and that was just best I'd seen up to that point.

Oh and Heroes but that kind of fell flat.

And The Walking Dead up to the point it said "Wait six months!"

Before that Wolverine and the X-men had me by the guts and then they canceled it.

That True Blood thing was good for two seasons, then fairies, what?

The internet is the best television channel.
    edited March 2013
    Because you don't watch it you can't know what you hate.

TRON: Uprising was absolutely stunning.
    That's the only TV I've seen in a while, because it was on the internet.

Why would I bother when Firefly and CSI Miami gets canned but Glee continues :I
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why would I bother when Firefly and CSI Miami gets canned but Glee continues :I

You should check out Jonathan Coulton's cover of Glee's cover of Jonathan Coulton's cover of Sir Mix-a-lot's "Baby Got Back" at least.

As to why I play video games, to have fun, fun that is not dependent on having a number higher than everyone else.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play to have fun. To relax and let stress fall away. I don't grind in MMO's because it's like having a second job. I -do- run mission content, however, to experience the story. Other style games depend on mood. Sims 2 or 3 is great when I'm in a creative mood, as I do nothing in that game other than build houses. S'why I loved CoX. I could go play whack a mole if in that mood, or go build stuff if in that mood.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013

"because I'm fat and dumpy in real life, and have to look hot and bitchy online to make myself feel better"

Personally? I game because it lets me shoot people in the face or beat the hell out of em and not go to jail. And I like to find people with shared interests to do so with, like comic nerds.

You better believe I'd be all over a dr who mmo.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited March 2013
    Personally? I game because it lets me shoot people in the face or beat the hell out of em and not go to jail.
    Only thing stopping you from killing people in real life is that you might get in trouble? :biggrin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    becasue I want to.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited March 2013

agreed, all the unreality shows... ack.
    the only thing I watch anymore is Dr Who and I'm waiting for the enxt series to start
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited March 2013

A Game of Thrones Season 3. Worth buying a television for.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play games as a form of personal growth. We grow and change through the decisions we make. Games give us a space to make those decisions where the consequences can be put down and walked away from. Now the social side, that you can't walk away from, but if my character loses all his money then me the player doesn't get kicked out of my house. So that freedom is very nice and very helpful. Same reason psychologists have people roleplay to get through traumas and other blocks.

Why I play the games I do is for the setting. I tried secret world. It's full of darkness and evil and depression and there are no good guys for you to play, all three factions are evil. Here, there's heroes, and nice people, and a happy world worth saving. Star Trek annoys some fans, but overall mostly keeps to Roddenberry's view of the future of humanity as a moral utopia. Close enough that it makes me happy to be in that environment.

Also, I have lots of friends in both games and they share a chat client. Most importantly, Cape Radio moved here to Champions, and lots of you Champions people were really welcoming of us CoX newbs when we showed up.

Good community, good environment, and a chance to grow as a person. Why wouldn't I be here? Oh, the slow development... well, 3.5 out of 4 ain't bad. =)
    edited March 2013
    A Game of Thrones Season 3. Worth buying a television for.

But thats what boxsets are for. Buy a boxset put a disc in your laptop. JOB DONE \o/
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Because its the only way to get the voices to shut up.

And computer games can be fun too.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • hocofaisanhocofaisan Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play videogames to keep the crushing depression at bay.

Not kidding.
    POSITIVE ABOUT CO IN 2013!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Before that Wolverine and the X-men had me by the guts and then they canceled it.

Yeah that was a bummer, thank goodness I have Young Justice to look forward to-

SON OF A...!
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I play video games because I live in a small village, where the only places to spend your free time are a pub and a curling range. I don't even have a working sat dish, so I have to rely on my computer as my window to the world.

So basically; because I got nothing else to do in my free time.
    edited March 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    edited March 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    As an astronaut-cowboy-millionaire, Video games helps me get the most stress off my chest inbetween heavy power lifting and workouts. :smile::smile::smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2013

What a compelling question!

I play video games because I'm bored (wife lives in a different state until I can retire and get back there as we own a house and are well-established there) and with some of the health problems I have lately, I'm not very mobile anymore until I get my surgery in April.

But, in the last 6 years I've become quite the game junkie. I'm currently on paid leave while I recuperate from my last surgery and am playing CO, NWO (that game is so much fun!) and Tera (haven't really found my niche there yet, community is kind of overwhelmingly childish and reminds me sometimes why I stopped playing WOW years ago).

But, honestly I'm really looking forward to getting back to the gym, it was basically my life before I was injured in my job a few years ago. I was a combatives instructor at a college I was instructing at as part of my job (AFROTC) and ended up taking a tumble down a couple flights of stone steps that, ironically, I told the cadets to always be careful of because they were slick (go figure). Gravity is most unforgiving when you're over 250lbs and land on your spine, haha.

So, as you can imagine, video games have kept me sane for the last few years, they've been an emotional stress outlet (since I lost working out and combatives slowly as my back and neck got worse) and I've met many many good folks.

So, there's my book. And if you're reading this, you're part of the reason I'm here! (for better or worse)

Thank you!

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    2009-02-09-or-is-he-just-projecting.png
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The years when I played CO most heavily were about escapism, but these days I'm just looking for fun and friendship.

Edit: it was pretty rough when my problems with epilepsy and pulse beam rifle forced me out of the game, at a time when Champions was one of the main things helping me carry on in life. But that deprivation led directly to me examining my life and addressing the underlying problems, and I was very fortunate to find real solutions.
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    To have fun...

What? You were expecting me to write a paragraph and a half in order to justify that?
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would explain why I play games here, but every time I bring my personal life onto these boards I get attacked, so forget it.

I'll just simplify it to "escapism" and stress relief.
    edited March 2013
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    As an astronaut-cowboy-millionaire, Video games helps me get the most stress off my chest inbetween heavy power lifting and workouts. :smile::smile::smile:

Meh thats nothing in RL ima Godzilla's mother*. You haven't seen my daughter when shes hung over :I

* Technically I'm her dad , needless to say she has two moms now :P
  • mensarmensar Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »
    To have fun...

What? You were expecting me to write a paragraph and a half in order to justify that?

Umm.. YES?

I was like.. did he type it into a spoiler box or something? haha.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Because they force me to. Hour after hour, day after day. My soul motivation to continue grinding, is the whip cracking overlords. Or the concern that if I fail to meet my quota they will again refuse to feed me.

Help me!