test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hey Cryptic/PW

rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
edited December 2012 in Suggestions Box
How about showing a bit of support/compassion to those players that enjoy the game on the other side of the world? namely Australia, something like a Proxy or something of the sort near by to lower lag for us, personally having 300 Ping constantly gets inconvenient and tiresome very quickly, so to make it fun and fair for us,

This scenario reminds me of Left 4 Dead on the Xbox, biased as it is Servers were only in America so everywhere else were screwed, and guaranteed lag, which kills to experience, so if you would consider something, that would be appreciated, Thank you.
Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
Post edited by rtma on

Comments

• stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The technical aspects of doing so are waaaaay large, and probably not worth the resources from a financial perspective.

It's not enough to just set up a proxy since they either only change the IP it looks to come from or temporarily store content for quicker local access.
    Changing IP would do nothing since it would still have as many if not more router hops compared to normal.
    Temporarily storing content would work against them since essentially nothing they send can be reused in that form.

So they would have to set up actual game servers and then somehow do a synchronization between the two different clusters. This would not get around the full round trip lag between two players on opposite sides of the globe, and could introduce larger synchronization issues since it would now be synchronizing at more points (end user to respective "national" and the link between "nationals").
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    So what are you saying?
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Short version: Not going to happen.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stauchstauch Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    At best they would be spending lots of money for no benefit what so ever, outside of you seeing a lower "ping number". The actual ping time would be unaffected or even slightly increased.

If they implemented something that would actually lower your ling time (a.k.a closer server) you would most likely see way higher amounts of rubber banding instead, since now two or more geographical locations would need to sync and agree on one "outcome" before actually sending back a result to you.