test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO's Xmas spirit - are we dying?

Comments

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Pion, come ere a second. *SLAP*

Yeah If I remember right I seen almost the exact same thread posted a year ago. I will be watching this thread with much popcorn though.

5d4ff361-a4ff-41a0-a0bc-e001fe725be7.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    Yeah If I remember right I seen almost the exact same thread posted a year ago.
    I thought these tears tasted familiar.

Here's a little game, try to match up a person from last year's thread with this year's thread and figure out also who went splitsville after all their ranting.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    cathar=jonsills;2774571]I, ah, think you may have missed the part in black text at the end of his post there...[/QUOTE]

Yes I in fact did.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Here's a Dev post from last years December Doom thread
    We're not dying.
    We HAVE, however, been listening to you folks.

It feels like: we've been putting a lot of stuff out there. A LOT of stuff. Virtually every single week we've had something cool and new to check out-- whether that's a grab bag or a costume set or a travel power or an event-- and we're one of very few games with that kind of throughput. Players on the forums, by contrast, generally seem to perceive the game as getting very little. At the same time, we've also seen the really phenomenal success STO has enjoyed since Season 5's launch.

One thing to conclude from this is that players (and gaming media) sometimes respond to larger chunks of content differently than they do if they receive the same content in a steady stream. It's also true that when you're focused on rapid turn-around, the kinds of stuff you can produce is different. So while things are a little quiet now, you may rest assured that we continue to be hard at work making this game great.

Believe.
    edited December 2012

Believe.

Wow you had to go back a year to find a dev post in a user created thread :)

I wish cryptic had more ability to make the content they want. Just sad.
  • target1onetarget1one Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Their only competitor is gone, so...why?

Seriously, CO is the creepy guy in the parked van next to your broken down car with a smug grin saying "Well well well, look who just ran out of options".

They're not going to release anything else. They don't have to. What else are the players going to do? There is no alternative anymore. No competition. Know what that makes? A monopoly, which means they can essentially do whatever they want, or in this case, they don't have to do a thing because it's either their way or the highway.

Personally, I'm praying that the "Plan Z" efforts started by former CoH players will come to fruition and give us a real alternative. It would be like Batman swooping out of the sky and teaching that creepy guy in the van a lesson. :biggrin:

Target1one

"ENOUGH!!! You are ALL of you BENEATH me! I am a GOD, you dull creature, and I will NOT be BULLIED by--" -- Loki

*SMASH* *SMASH* *SMASH* <pause> *SMASHSMASH* "... puny god..." -- Hulk
  • target1onetarget1one Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Generally even when I disagreed with certain balance decisions it was clear to me that the dev responsible was trying to make the game better.

That may have been true in the past, but where are they NOW? There haven't been any substantiative posts by Cryptic employees in months, save the occasional patch/PTS notes
    and/or comments on same.

Surely, even if they're working on NW, they could toss us a bone every now and then? Something along the lines of "Hang in there guys, we'll be back, we promise!"???

Or, have they simply moved on, never to return?

Target1one

"ENOUGH!!! You are ALL of you BENEATH me! I am a GOD, you dull creature, and I will NOT be BULLIED by--" -- Loki

*SMASH* *SMASH* *SMASH* <pause> *SMASHSMASH* "... puny god..." -- Hulk
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    target1one wrote: »
    That may have been true in the past, but where are they NOW? There haven't been any substantiative posts by Cryptic employees in months, save the occasional patch/PTS notes
    and/or comments on same.

Surely, even if they're working on NW, they could toss us a bone every now and then? Something along the lines of "Hang in there guys, we'll be back, we promise!"???

Or, have they simply moved on, never to return?

We have the same issue briefly after launch when most devs went to STO. They have never admitted moving resources from CO to STO. I doubt they will do the same now. At that time they used the excuse that after release games usually reduce their dev team size. At this moment, they don't have that kind of escape route. Therefore, I am guessing they are not going to even try to discuss it, it will be ignore it instead. :frown:
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Their only competitor is gone, so...why?

Seriously, CO is the creepy guy in the parked van next to your broken down car with a smug grin saying "Well well well, look who just ran out of options".

They're not going to release anything else. They don't have to. What else are the players going to do? There is no alternative anymore. No competition. Know what that makes? A monopoly, which means they can essentially do whatever they want, or in this case, they don't have to do a thing because it's either their way or the highway.

To a new player CO is a very respectable game. There is a lot of content to play through, it allows people to wander and explore, it is very accessible and generally well-written.

It does have competitors. One game with a similar quest structure and a dark superhero setting without the costumes has tried to raid players from this forum.

A number of Facebook, and Facebook-style, superhero games exist as do licensed computer games from film and cartoon franchises.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
  • vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I really hope not...or at least I hope another superhero genre MMO comes out before then.

I'm unable to recreate Vitality in DCUO...so if CO goes down...it takes Vitality with.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I was going to attach this to my resume for Cryptic, but I thought I'd just put it here:

ohstars_zps3c1c143a.png
    Brou in Cryptic games.
    edited December 2012
    I was going to attach this to my resume for Cryptic, but I thought I'd just put it here:

ohstars_zps3c1c143a.png

Well on the 21st when we are all on fire you know who to blame.....
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited December 2012

ohstars_zps3c1c143a.png

Oh no! Someone call the Content Medi-Copter!
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    I loved this game when I first played it in beta and I still do, despite the neglect...

And those that know me know that I'm not a doom and gloom type of guy...

But I gotta say, I'm nervous. I predict that, within 6 months of Neverwinter's launch, CO will either experience a revival as devs return, or CO will be shut down...

I pray for the former, but I fear the later is the road we're on...

I think Cryptic may put a lot of stock in saying they're a single studio running multiple MMOs; that may be what has kept CO alive so far. Once NW is launched... well... two is still 'multiple'...

:frown:

God I hope you're wrong... I want this game to survive and thrive, it's my favorite MMO, if not straight up favorite game.

Sadly, people seem to keep forgetting Cryptic's as yet unnanounced "awesome" fourth project.

Even when NWO launches, I don' think we're getting Devs back, there's already other things to do; assuming they don't follow through on their original model of pumping out MMOs, there's still at least one more thing on the board before CO gets any attention. We're in 4th place on the priority list.
    nepht wrote: »
    Pion, come ere a second. *SLAP*

Tease :tongue:

Seriously tho, I'm genuinely worried we've dropped down a peg. I'm hoping to see something from somebody, but they can't keep doing stuff like this, especially when a huge playerbase just fell into their laps. That is not smart business.
    I thought these tears tasted familiar.

Here's a little game, try to match up a person from last year's thread with this year's thread and figure out also who went splitsville after all their ranting.

Believe.

That's great and all, but take a good look at those. See what's applicable where. The OP in the first mentions SotG and Field Reports being the ray of light. We don't have those. We don't have any real Dev communication. TT is doing his best, but the most he's had to offer are patches and links to tepid reviews.

The second mentions how much they've done for us lately. I guess vehicles count, so there's that, but look at that list - "a grab bag or a costume set or a travel power or an event" - every single week? What happened to that? We don't even have a calendar anymore. We get new keys and lockboxes now. Vet rewards are gone (not a complaint, just saying there isn't even that in the pipe), we haven't seen a new costume, or events...

So what is it in that case? That we're still getting stuff, it's just not stuff we want or like?

To be fair we have gotten vehicles, the vehicle alert, and a couple ninja travel powers, which is swell, but production is in a steady decline.

IDK, maybe vehicles were The Big Thing like spec trees and the crafting overhaul and we all just missed the point.

Is that the bright side? That vehicles and lockboxes mean they really care?

Jesus....
  • docclarksavagejrdocclarksavagejr Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Just want to throw some information into the boat...

When I was chatting with TT a while ago about the Anniversary Levelling Contest, and he made note to let me know that I probably wouldn't be getting the piece of art for a while since the CO team was about to get slammed with a bunch of work.

Now, mind you, he could have meant that they were moving some people to NWO where a lot of work was being done. But I'm going to stay optimistic here and say that something is being worked on for CO at least.

Oh, Fudge, I hope you're right! I hope I hope I hope!

And "congrats", BTW!
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    CoX has been available on Steam for years, never showed up once on the top 100.

DCUO has been on Steam for one year, its held a steady spot on the top 100 with 1500 to 3600 player count everyday for that entire period, maybe dipping to 900 one day.

Champions online left the Top 100 at around 560 players in July, it hasn't regained that many players from Steam since(no advertising, no front page, because no new content, which DC pumps out ever two months it seems).

The influx of COX players has basically doubled the hourly population of what we had this time last year when there was a major drain after the F2P summer rush. The week CoX was crushed into dust we had seven zones of MC during a weekend afternoon, this weekend we had six zones, I estimate an overall average of five zones through midnight server time, when we usually see a big drain.

Anyway, Xmas spirit...
    Ho.

CoX did hit the Steam top 100 when Going Rouge launched. That tidbit aside, Steam is a poor metric for how well an MMO is doing as most players of MMO's have non-Steam versions for various reasons.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
    edited December 2012
    bwdares wrote: »
    Wow you had to go back a year to find a dev post in a user created thread :)

Interesting.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    We're not dying.
    We HAVE, however, been listening to you folks.

It feels like: we've been putting a lot of stuff out there. A LOT of stuff. Virtually every single week we've had something cool and new to check out-- whether that's a grab bag or a costume set or a travel power or an event-- and we're one of very few games with that kind of throughput. Players on the forums, by contrast, generally seem to perceive the game as getting very little. At the same time, we've also seen the really phenomenal success STO has enjoyed since Season 5's launch.

One thing to conclude from this is that players (and gaming media) sometimes respond to larger chunks of content differently than they do if they receive the same content in a steady stream. It's also true that when you're focused on rapid turn-around, the kinds of stuff you can produce is different. So while things are a little quiet now, you may rest assured that we continue to be hard at work making this game great.

Believe.

I love how you had to go back a year just to find a dev post, and on that post the first thing they mention (of all things) on the context of "something cool and new to check out" is grab bags, followed by costume sets and travel powers--the last two of which aren't necessarily bad, but not exactly what people mean when they whine about "content" or something that would drive people to come back and play the same content they've played before.

You mean...you don't play grab bags? *gasp* :biggrin:
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I logged in last night to find that even Millenium City was at a decimated population of heroes.

Even MY sg didn't have members online (that weren't in STO). I can only pray that they are planning for a massive release to the Live Server Jan 1 2013 with a renewed promise to stop doing this silence is golden crap.

Frankly I have just convinced 2 of my IRL friends to join the game but I am being VERY cautious about their experience as I know it may very well be fun in the beginning but without any life breathing into the title.. soon they will join the rather disappointed.

ALSO - Please Please Please bring back the referral bonus program so we (the players) are given incentive to go get more cash cows to sacrifice to your altar of mediocrity
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A friend of mine reported seeing a Guild Wars 2 trailer before the Hobbit.

I wept.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    You mean...you don't play grab bags? *gasp* :biggrin:

I don't have enough money to "play" grab bags :redface:

Nobody does.
  • tigshadowtigshadow Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I would have to agree right now for content I would see a sub being suitable at the $10 a month special rate for 3 months at a time or 29.99 as it were.

Secondly I think as of right now with this year that you feel a bit more like a superhero in CO than perhaps when you first started with it back then. While it's true that there hasn't been much expansive in the terms of worlds on where to go since the revelations part of vibora bay. There has been comic series and adventure packs what was seen in 2011, so what did 2012 see?

If I recall there was actually for better or worse two bigger expansions and one does give it more of an endgame and what heroes do deal with aside missions and running around as an errand boy. For better or worse, alerts in april made your hero more on alert to join in on things happening at once without a prompt of a mission.

Now some may say and to an extent smashes might have broken the game, but given what the content focus is to be a bit more fast paced, I would expect even more of them in CO's future.

The game's biggest draw has been customization, and since I have been here more frequent since last april 2011 for ftp i've seen much more on the side of devices, costumes and powersets. Which archtype wise since then we've had quite a few including power armor and night avenger or did people forget about that too?

What I see is more building blocks to something even better. We've had hideouts, alerts and even vehicles, though maybe like many the only reason you don't see many vehicles is there isn't a new area aside sky command where they really hold a function. This might be something rolling out in 2013 and given the dev size, its still impressive to have something on scale to these two things roll out on the fact of what coding might entail.

Who knows we may even see the foundry in working form here after Neverwinter has one which from the get go seems it will along with its own alert type missions.

I even played some of the xmas event and you know what? it shows they did update it, maybe it wasn't all a ton, but the flow of it certainly felt upto pace of it being current. The fact is in their way they are trying. I would say at the very least enjoy that event and not complain as it takes us to the beginning of next year if you recall.

I think this year was the setting of building blocks for an entirely new game and who knows we might see the moon as a final setting along with the star guardian powers mentioned in the until report. There is enough content to work through one character and even the next that it's possible to take you a month at a time to do so. Sure some of the things of running westside can get annoying, but taking a newer character as I did yesterday to run through it I see what they did change. Its much better.

They should change the requirement though for the tutorial to allow your hero to run to any of the three canada, westside of the desert next, would be more sensible that way to let you create your own flow of the game.

For now I would give them a chance to work in something. Many games I have played that I could name here that the content level is at par of CO yet people have played them for years and the most update they did was costumes? Maybe I should start mentioning them.
    edited December 2012
    tigshadow wrote: »
    We've had hideouts, alerts and even vehicles.

Hideouts weren't 2012, that was July 2011.

Unfortunately the vast majority of everything you just outlined that was actually in 2012 hit back in April 2012 or earlier...followed by...vehicle devices mainly.
    edited December 2012
    Hideouts weren't 2012, that was July 2011.

Unfortunately the vast majority of everything you just outlined that was actually in 2012 hit back in April 2012 or earlier...followed by...vehicle devices mainly.

I mentioned hideouts not as much for this year but the point is the game built on things while not "complete" to some the idea did get across that it did make you a better hero than the game's inception.

To me the game was easier to understand in how the stats worked with alerts because of several key changes to dex, pressence and ego along with how the roles were affected as well. Much of this was needed not only for balance but to work in a way better for a hero.

This game works on devices mostly and while easier to make in a way much you have to make a way for them to work. You see that with the specializations now for each hero to really be customizable how you want even if you have an AT. Less being a cookie cutter and in some ways makes the content different to play.

Though I think many forget too is older games never had additions and home consoles even until this past generation worked in dlc. Before that you got a game as is, NOTHING added to it. I recall playing SNES games, N64 and even NES games and eventhough I already played them, they are as they are waiting for me to go back to at least for now, exactly as I remember them. I think partially with how the in demand is for people to have something new to spend money on, they expect more and more content very soon.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    yeah i get it everyone is upset and disappointed.
    but you make things worse by posting 10 threads a week of the same crap.
    if you ever hope this game to get better, this is a way to prevent it.
    most new players check forums before joining. there is a lot in this game a new player can enjoy. but this negativity is out of control. complaining about xmas before the event even starts. I'm not saying I'm satisfied, but in the real world too much negativity gets you written off.
    edited December 2012
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    yeah i get it everyone is upset and disappointed.
    but you make things worse by posting 10 threads a week of the same crap.
    if you ever hope this game to get better, this is a way to prevent it.
    most new players check forums before joining. there is a lot in this game a new player can enjoy. but this negativity is out of control. complaining about xmas before the event even starts. I'm not saying I'm satisfied, but in the real world too much negativity gets you written off.

Translation: If you have good things to say, post it so people get a good impression of the game. If you have bad things to say, don't keep posting them because people interested in the game will see it and be turned off.

So in essence, promote a skewed view of the game on the forums to attract people to the game. That's likely not what you're trying to say but in a nutshell that's exactly what you're saying by telling people to hush specifically their unfavorable opinions...
    edited December 2012
    Though I think many forget too is older games never had additions and home consoles even until this past generation worked in dlc. Before that you got a game as is, NOTHING added to it. I recall playing SNES games, N64 and even NES games and eventhough I already played them, they are as they are waiting for me to go back to at least for now, exactly as I remember them. I think partially with how the in demand is for people to have something new to spend money on, they expect more and more content very soon.

I don't think anyone my age forgets that. But for the sake of discussion, perhaps you forget the other part that you didn't bother to mention...that many of those games that some of us bought and played "as is" back then were rigorously quality tested for bugs because there was no patching so the game damn sure well better work and be good without game breaking bugs or it won't sell (see ET for Atari as the most prominent case example) and there was also no business model encouraging people to keep paying for the right to keep playing it with all the features unlocked. All features were unlocked forever because, well, we bought the games permanently not renting them until the servers shutdown like online games.

In other words, comparing a console game with no internet to an online game with a subscription option is deep in the apples to oranges territory.
  • johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Personally I expect communication. The lack of items in the C/Z Store is surprising and does paint the doom picture everyone is talking about. Vehicles are become Devices, when as I understand it, they said it wouldn't be. Our winter event is nowhere to be seen yet, the mental powers they were working on are suddenly not mentioned anymore. True the deadline to release Neverwinter is fast approaching and they haven't even started the closed beta. But I have read idi... people that have spent anything from $20 - $300 on keys on a monthly basis so this game is profitable. And judging by the amount of messages of people getting cra... ships on STO I say so do they. It is bizarre that even though Cryptic took their time to write a letter to CoX players they never bothered to offer at least a room to stay. I brought two people over, who fell in love with the character creator and guess what they did 2 days after playing, they subbed. Now guess what they did when they hit 40? They left for TSW. Seems like cultural differences are playing a hand here, I've said it before and I'm pretty sure PW business strategy is only about making money not keeping customers. I don't play any non Cryptic game under PW's umbrella, not even Torchlight. If I want to play good F2P games outside of Cryptic there's plenty to choose from that don't involve PW nor Nexon. ArenaNet has my support but I'm not very fond of NCSoft either.

P.S. By cultural differences my main aim is at attachment to games. We may switch around games a lot but we make one our home, CO has been my home for 2 years. And as I understand it, in asia the infinite amount of F2P games (all with the same theme ugh) doesn't help create that "this is my main game" mentality.
    edited December 2012
    I don't think anyone my age forgets that. But for the sake of discussion, perhaps you forget the other part that you didn't bother to mention...that many of those games that some of us bought and played "as is" back then were rigorously quality tested for bugs because there was no patching so the game damn sure well better work and be good without game breaking bugs or it won't sell (see ET for Atari as the most prominent case example) and there was also no business model encouraging people to keep paying for the right to keep playing it with all the features unlocked. All features were unlocked forever because, well, we bought the games permanently not renting them until the servers shutdown like online games.

In other words, comparing a console game with no internet to an online game with a subscription option is deep in the apples to oranges territory.

yet if you go as far as youtube many of those games did have game breaking bugs done so by people with far less time than we do in being able to do so. Notably games like pokemon and Zelda: Ocarina of Time to name two. I can say on the whole comparison of games that you could point it as much to apples to oranges in how different they could be. I do agree that there should be more content for subbed games, but again everyone plays a game differently.

Some might blast through CO in a matter of weeks on one character, or maybe they take as long as a few months to get through it. For many it all comes down to how you play the game. Now there's nothing wrong with wanting more content, but there's also another in expecting it so frequent at times and complaining on any idea that gets shoved down in the process.

I recall many complaining on alerts, adventure packs, comic series and vehicles, pretty much anything that has been made people have been crying on simply because it wasn't a new zone to explore. Unless you own the game the drivers have the very right you do in playing it by paying or not to set its course. Whether or not you stay which is the key word is solely up to you. That's with any game now. They could release things you like or things you hate. You choose to use them or not.

I agree there needs to more content to fully utilize the use of vehicles or otherwise they sit like now and are slightly useless other than a mission or two, but it is something "new" as opposed to before in using.

I also think there should be another zone, but also how many would also blast through it and then complain on yet not having more content? It's an endless cycle for any mmo from creation until demise to always have something new.

I would say if Cryptic was to make anything for CO at this point, just make and give the foundry and allow updates to perhaps unlock more npc usage and hero, villian usage for it, that way the complaints for those with nothing else to do here would be very minimal at most.

The game is good regardless otherwise you wouldn't be championing for more content for it obviously, but I would say for now with how things are it is going to be slow and they probably are working on something bigger I hope.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012

So if, for the first time in ages, a dev posted on the forums and pretty much said what you just said, and then announced that there will be no further development on the game... you would give him a big thumbs up?

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • johhotajohhota Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm very certain that Kenpo isn't asking for new content. He is asking for bug fixes which at this point it's the least I could expect from them as well. But I'm also aware that their Mega D de-leveling scared them to try anything while they're so limited/understaffed. Will we see a day when we get more developers? IDK, that's my point in my post about communication.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Translation: If you have good things to say, post it so people get a good impression of the game. If you have bad things to say, don't keep posting them because people interested in the game will see it and be turned off.

So in essence, promote a skewed view of the game on the forums to attract people to the game. That's likely not what you're trying to say but in a nutshell that's exactly what you're saying by telling people to hush specifically their unfavorable opinions...
    NO.. i said keep it contained in the multiple already existing threads instead of making 10 new threads a week. btw saying translation like that is both condescending and insulting.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    NO.. i said keep it contained in the multiple already existing threads instead of making 10 new threads a week. btw saying translation like that is both condescending and insulting.

I love you and all but I'll kvetch in as many threads as I can. I'm unhappy and want everyone everywhere to know it.
    stokeman wrote: »

IMMINENT: (In Test)

Sources confirm that items below are being reviewed internally and/or on PTS (Public Test Server). These include issues, features and fixes that are very close to release. Occasionally there are items in test as part of a larger release.

? New Custom Alert ? The Horror of Hi-Pan
    - Hi-Pan seeks power enough to conquer Millennium City at last, and uses a dark ritual to cross over into a mystical dimension to usurp the power of the Dragon?s Eye!
    - Players will confront a bigger, bolder re-incarnation of this sorcerer at a mystical floating Asian temple
    - Rewards will include unique Dragon Armor costume parts, the powerful Dragon?s Eye Mod and more!

? Wizard & Witch Costume Set
    - The long-awaited magical collection!

? New Rampage Alert ? Blaze & F.R.E.0.N.
    - Featuring the winning submission from the Design-a-Villain community contest, this new Rampage features a true tag-team villain combo, with tough but engaging boss fight dynamics guaranteed to keep players on their toes
    - For those tough enough to pass the test, rich Questionite Ore rewards await

Two of 3 ... 66%

R&D Report: (In Development)

Numerous confirmed reports reveal these features are currently in development. They have made it through the design and planning phases and are being implemented. Items in this section will move to "In Test" once complete.

? ?Nighthawk ? Friend or Foe?? Event & Themed Content
    - Nighthawk, a dark and mysterious vigilante, will be introduced to Champions Online in a brand-new event, where evidence is conflicted over this anti-hero?s true motives? is he a hero walking the line, or one who?s finally crossed it?
    - Players will investigate crime scenes and confront new challenges to deduce whether Nighthawk is friend? or foe
    - Depending on their deductions, players may find themselves face to face with Nighthawk himself ? or another antagonist
    - As part of this Event, new Nighthawk-themed powers and an Archetype will be released, along with a themed costume set & a cape-glide travel power!
    - Special rewards will even include the Hawkwing prototype vehicle!

? Cosmetic FX Auras!
    - Special Aura items slot to add a cosmetic FX aura to you character for the ultimate in customization
    - Aura items will come in all sorts of varieties, from elemental electricity and fire, glow, to darkness and more!
    - Auras will come in many configurations, from adorning hands, to eyes, head, full body and more!

? Mod Bundle Packs for Fusion
    - Purchase or acquire huge stacks of single Mods for fast Fusion!

? Return of crafting maps and other interiors as purely role-playing instances
    - Free for All!

? XP Gifting
    - Gift some of your experience to your alts or friends

? C-Store Coupons
    - Items that give you a discount in the C-store

3.5/6=58%
    Planning Documents Recovered: (On the Schedule)

These features have yet to enter the implementation stage. However, commitment to their future existence is verified via detailed documents. Some features have a longer development time than others but these updates are verified as next on the list to implement.

? Vehicles!
    - A brand-new system for customizing, equipping and riding vehicles into battle!
    - Vehicles will offer all-new powers, including new mechanics such as area-of-effect ground targeting, which can be swapped in and out via fully customizable ?upgrade and equipment? items
    - Vehicles will come with an equipment load-out as standard, which can be completely exchanged with new items such as:
    - Offensive items (i.e. mini-guns, rocket packs, laser pods, etc)
    - Defensive items (i.e. extra hull-plating, flares, smoke grenades, etc)
    - Utility items (i.e. turbo-boost thrusters, self-repairing nanites, etc)
    - Characters will be able to pilot their vehicles in any existing exterior map, as well as in all-new vehicle-centric maps and encounters
    - New content types, such as PVP modes, are being considered for vehicle-exclusive combat as well
    - Vehicles will offer some cosmetic customization, albeit to a lesser degree than the character costume creator

? Lair Updates & Boss Reviews
    - Conversion of existing Lairs to the new encounter system
    - Revision and streamlining, bug fixes, boss review
    - Each debut is accompanied by a thematic in-zone Event!

? New Zone Events
    - Large scale, multi-stage, zone events that offer new encounter opportunities and large group game play

1/3 = 33%

5 months later and NO part of this scores above a D. That is a failing grade. And To be fair.. the amount of content you suggested in July was HELLA light. So that's like failing in gym class or worse.. in home economics.

Aggregate score = 52% that is a big fat F.

Sucks too because you COULD have graduated to the prime Superhero MMO on the market.. but you'll never graduate with grades like that.

#Schooled
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited December 2012
    - Characters will be able to pilot their vehicles in any existing exterior map, as well as in all-new vehicle-centric maps and encounters
    - Vehicles will offer some cosmetic customization, albeit to a lesser degree than the character costume creator
    :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

:mad:

edited December 2012
    @gamehobo

You should put half of the nighthawk mission in red. We were never able to figure out if he was friend or foe ourselves or fight him. They took the easy way out and gave us a linear path to follow.
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Wait...

Since when do we have XP Gifting?

:confused:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Great, now I really need the Foundry. The new adventure a-building in my head is:

"Threads of DOOM!"

Psimon's latest attack is to afflict superheroes with a tremendous sense of ennui and futility, so they won't bother fighting back against his nefarious plots. His first victims are the Champions. Can YOU stop this evil psychic before he can make YOU stop caring?

Hmm, now I wonder if I can tie that in with The Wrath of Poe...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited December 2012
    smoochan wrote: »
    So if, for the first time in ages, a dev posted on the forums and pretty much said what you just said, and then announced that there will be no further development on the game... you would give him a big thumbs up?

Nope just saying on the level in how some games were made. I have a slight dislike for the pacing at how stuff is released here, but then you factor in the fact of how they spread their resources to what gets released it's a miracle there has been actually content updates since ftp. If there was ever going to be an anouncement like that, it means the game is about done. No company would just flat out say that without shutting the door on the way out because that would mean they see no reason to keep it open to make money.

I would however if that was not the case of them closing would stop subscribing. I'm like many that do the sale subscription as that was a point for me to keep it, if that goes away I doubt I would pay 15 a month for this.

My point draws on the fact that in the past, much of games mmo and even offline did not have great deals of support. There has been few and far between on some that went the extra mile. CoX might be one of the more rarer ones of recent that did this. Usually many games within the first two to three years of development will only be taken so far and that's it. It solely depends on user base participation on going further. As there is always the churn factor at recycling new members for profit.

It just seems to me that those that dropped in here have never played other games. Most follow a procedure when they first start up to set things in place, be it some type of holiday events and the normal flow of game. Some games do stick to just minor additions like in CO's case devices as to play it differently. Last I checked on dcuo one of the main things they were doing was playing catch up to CO in powers as the psn released them at margins to buy. I don't play dcuo but I know when their content is released as such.

If alerts didn't come around, we might not have seen it last much longer or even if pwi picked up whatever tab they did.

You forget most MMOs these days aside from WoW just only recycle in the fact of retention of trying to attract new players for enough time for them to spend money before moving on. Some do just that a few they retain to make some big purchase and again they too might move on while others come in.

For now I would focus on the holiday event and see what 2013 brings to the game, if its another six months and still it stands like this I would assume worse.

I recall much of 2011 being filled with monthly romps of blood moon up until halloween, an anniversairy event, winter event and the comic series (november) along with resistance (june). The last three things made up the new content that i recall for the year.

Already stated before we had alerts in april, reloaded just a little in last month and two blood moons if you count halloween's. the anniversairy event, 4th of july event for flag speed. also the destroid event in september after the anniversairy event. several ats including two that are free of the unleashed and the healing one (forgot its name) along with power armor, night avenger...etc. questionite being introduced to allow you to get things in game to an extent without buying. the updating of accounts so that gold and silver slots now have special if you buy a freeform slot, used freely between the two depending on your pref. much of what was added was a step up and in a way a newer balance the game did need. It can be built off of this now with some of these updates.

Who's to say they aren't working on something big? Last I recall for alerts even we weren't really in the know until march and they usually don't say on things until they are close to release to the pts for example or live.

Btw for those that missed it, an updated winter event starts the 21st.

I wouldn't be surprised the xp transfer and level cap increase might even be next because oh look they updated things to make it possible. They could have added a lot more different things but probably the specializations and stat changes i would think would be a priority. I think there was even classification of powers changing like how many now are forms and that is integrated even into the ATs now? There's been much work in that department on release notes at times to better help powers and some balance.

Yes having a new zone or foundry would be wonderful right now, but seriously try to enjoy what there is even if it might not be much. There's been much they didn't hit which I bet they wished to too, but that only means that hopefully next year will be met with it and perhaps even something else better.
    edited December 2012
    Saying this is DOOOOOOOOOOOM thread I will leave this here ....

2423873-doom_pulls_all_the_strings.jpg
  • thalast1thalast1 Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It would have been awesome if the thread ended with that pic.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    thalast1 wrote: »
    It would have been awesome if the thread ended with that pic.

Or with a post by "the last 1"?

:tongue:
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It just seems to me that those that dropped in here have never played other games.

I played Everquest 2 for nearly 5 years .. and that game hat expansions each year that had
    nearly the size of the whole CO World .. and that even since at was by far not that successfull
    than WoW .. that was released later btw.

Also the housing there .. i expected somthing like that here with the Hideouts, and were even
    willing to buy things in the store ..

Only Problems with that game i had was that it catered in the end more and more to the
    hardcore snakes and i never resally liked raiding :frown:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pion01 wrote: »

Or with a post by "the last 1"?

:tongue:

Or with this cool pic for some reason D:

idiot_motivational_poster_by_krawky398_display.jpg

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    At least we haven't seen anymore lead devs get 'moved' to other projects. That must count for something right?
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    draogn wrote: »
    At least we haven't seen anymore lead devs get 'moved' to other projects. That must count for something right?

You are right, we haven't seen it.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Given how PvE seems to have shifted almost completely towards Alerts, and how CO seems to be having trouble populating its cash shop, maybe they're planning a Champions Online 2 built from the ground up to have heavily instanced PvE and cash shop options that they couldn't do in this game, e.g. pay for costume dye color lockboxes and power tint color lockboxes.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    Given how PvE seems to have shifted almost completely towards Alerts, and how CO seems to be having trouble populating its cash shop, maybe they're planning a Champions Online 2 built from the ground up to have heavily instanced PvE and cash shop options that they couldn't do in this game, e.g. pay for costume dye color lockboxes and power tint color lockboxes.

Well, the base game engine is so old and so crippled with bugs that a Champs 2 doesn't sound such a bad idea.