test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Queue-able Adventure Packs & Comic Series

bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Suggestions Box
What if we took the existing Adventure Packs and Comic Series, broke them up into smaller chunks, and made each portion queue-able via the instance queue menu? Make it so you must complete the previous segment of each in order to progress to the next, and either have a particular instance disappear once you complete it, or just go back to allowing players to pick and choose which portions they want to play.

There could still be the rewards for completing the total AP/CS, but there would also be a smaller reward (preferably on par w/ what you can get for doing Alerts) for each segment.

If there is a concern about players farming a particular segment, then each could be given a 4/day limit similar to how they have now.

Once this type of changeover was done, I think players would be more apt to actually play this content, and if it proved popular, future APs/CS's could be added using this system, (one segment at a time or as time permitted).

The segments that contained a main boss could be treated as Smashes, the ones w/ special environmental phenomena as Bursts, and the others as Grabs, and would count toward daily missions as well.
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited November 2012
    It's a good idea as long as old way of playing comic series and adventure packs will be retained.
    I like playing them solo from time to time, enjoying story. I'd rather not be forced for only playing them via queque and with a team.
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    but there would also be a smaller reward (preferably on par w/ what you can get for doing Alerts) for each segment.

Splitting the whole thing into smaller steps that give each small pieces of exp was something
    i have asked for again and again since release of SL, because that would simply make it also
    better as alternate level paths.

However .. it didn't happened in the past when they at least had some devs that created / fixed
    playable content .. and now .. they don't even seem to fix bugs in old content anymore :rolleyes:

On the other hand i don't see a reason to turn them into alerts. Is it really important to
    have even moar alerts ?
    R607qMf.jpg
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    bioshrike wrote: »
    What if we took the existing Adventure Packs and Comic Series, broke them up into smaller chunks, and made each portion queue-able via the instance queue menu? Make it so you must complete the previous segment of each in order to progress to the next, and either have a particular instance disappear once you complete it, or just go back to allowing players to pick and choose which portions they want to play.

There could still be the rewards for completing the total AP/CS, but there would also be a smaller reward (preferably on par w/ what you can get for doing Alerts) for each segment.

If there is a concern about players farming a particular segment, then each could be given a 4/day limit similar to how they have now.

Once this type of changeover was done, I think players would be more apt to actually play this content, and if it proved popular, future APs/CS's could be added using this system, (one segment at a time or as time permitted).

The segments that contained a main boss could be treated as Smashes, the ones w/ special environmental phenomena as Bursts, and the others as Grabs, and would count toward daily missions as well.

As a way to force more team content... I think you're going about this wrong for a couple of reasons. First, I don't believe telling people you have to be in a team in order to play these stories will make them more popular. Given that they aren't real popular now and given that getting people together to play anything except alerts is, apparently nearly impossible these days, I don't see how taking two unpopular systems and smushing them together is going to make one wildly popular system. What I suspect is more likely is that you will alienate the group of people (like myself) who enjoy running them solo.

Second, unless you break these down into an obscene number of mini-CSs/APs, each segment is going to be much longer than even the longest of Alerts. Part of the appeal for PUGging an Alert is that it doesn't take long- you get your supervillain-battle fix without having to sacrifice much of your regular playtime. I don't see a realistic way to get the AP segments down to such a reasonable length without sacrificing a great deal of the content or else increasing the number of segments not-insignificantly. An increased number of segments would mean people expected increased rewards- a topic for another time- and failure to give it to them would make the APs/CSs even less popular than they are now.

In all, without some further consideration, I would not support this yet.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sanmerci wrote: »
    As a way to force more team content... I think you're going about this wrong for a couple of reasons. First, I don't believe telling people you have to be in a team in order to play these stories will make them more popular. Given that they aren't real popular now and given that getting people together to play anything except alerts is, apparently nearly impossible these days, I don't see how taking two unpopular systems and smushing them together is going to make one wildly popular system. What I suspect is more likely is that you will alienate the group of people (like myself) who enjoy running them solo.

Second, unless you break these down into an obscene number of mini-CSs/APs, each segment is going to be much longer than even the longest of Alerts. Part of the appeal for PUGging an Alert is that it doesn't take long- you get your supervillain-battle fix without having to sacrifice much of your regular playtime. I don't see a realistic way to get the AP segments down to such a reasonable length without sacrificing a great deal of the content or else increasing the number of segments not-insignificantly. An increased number of segments would mean people expected increased rewards- a topic for another time- and failure to give it to them would make the APs/CSs even less popular than they are now.

In all, without some further consideration, I would not support this yet.

Well, the current way of playing the APs/CS would remain, so you could solo them if you choose.

Yes, each segment would still be longer than an Alert. However, they'd be shorter than they are currently, which would also make them more digestible for casual players, (or if the particular PUG you're with isn't so great, but you want to push-on anyway).

This would also make the APs/CS more visible, and allow players who want to do them w/ a team, but currently aren't on one, to still do so.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    With those caveats in place... yeah, I could see that. I'm not sure about having any of it be true SMASH, though- one of the things I truly dislike about SMASH is that the time limit really prevents me from interacting with any of the other players beyond very, very simple communicae (ie: gz; gj; aw, shucks and similar stuff). Maybe something granting similar XP awards but with an orientation segment before the alert and a segment after the alert for recap, possibly with some sort of bonus for staying the full time (as opposed to enforced downtime for people who want to play and move on)?

Dunno.

The idea has potential, anyways- I think it still needs a little work, but, hey- that's why I keep throwing my wallet at the screen, right?
    edited November 2012
    sanmerci wrote: »
    With those caveats in place... yeah, I could see that. I'm not sure about having any of it be true SMASH, though- one of the things I truly dislike about SMASH is that the time limit really prevents me from interacting with any of the other players beyond very, very simple communicae (ie: gz; gj; aw, shucks and similar stuff). Maybe something granting similar XP awards but with an orientation segment before the alert and a segment after the alert for recap, possibly with some sort of bonus for staying the full time (as opposed to enforced downtime for people who want to play and move on)?

Dunno.

The idea has potential, anyways- I think it still needs a little work, but, hey- that's why I keep throwing my wallet at the screen, right?

Hmm... I haven't thought about the time limit issue. Perhaps that could be ignored in these cases - but you wouldn't get the same XP reward after, either, (each segment would have its own reward in place). I was thinking more along the lines of them counting for purposes of the Alert daily missions, as another incentive to do these compartmentalized APs/CS.
    edited November 2012
    Shameless bump - any other thoughts/insights on this?