test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A good brick at 350 points

mrfancytopmrfancytop Posts: 5 Arc User
edited November 2012 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
The local gaming group has been playing Champions on and off for about a decade. This is something we've never quite managed to figure out: Is it actually possible to make a good/serviceable brick character at only 350 points and a 60 active power point limit?

After many years of debate, we were all disappointed once someone finally ponied up the money for the Ultimate Brick only to find none of their examples were at the "basic" power level.

I can make anything I want for an unlimited amount of points. 350 is what the 5th ed Champions book recommended and what we've stuck with for all these years. A fun/rounded brick at 350 points is hard.
Post edited by mrfancytop on

Comments

• lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    350? Wow...

I've played Champions pnp since it was launch back in '81 and never have run that high of a game. I start my games off at 250 with 50 Max active. That said, I've never run 5th edition so I don't know if the point balance has changed. I've stuck with 3rd all these years because I have everything for it (well, I have almost everything for 5th too, but it's all digital and I only use it for reference material)...

But one of the wonderful things about pnp is that a good GM can adjust the material to any level. Want to run a pre made but the group is too low? Water down the villains. Low level adventure too whimpy for your group? Buff up the bosses...

Ultimately the GM is the one who decides what is good and serviceable in their world...

And I know that doesn't help one lick. Perhaps one of the Scotts will stick his head in here and give some pointers...

:smile:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • bengalifanbengalifan Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    It's doable, as I've done near so before, though I went more Martial Brick than straight up Brick. Are you looking for generalized tips or a partial build? I could work up a partial build in a few days if that's what you are looking for.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    350? Wow...

I've played Champions pnp since it was launch back in '81 and never have run that high of a game. I start my games off at 250 with 50 Max active. That said, I've never run 5th edition so I don't know if the point balance has changed. I've stuck with 3rd all these years because I have everything for it (well, I have almost everything for 5th too, but it's all digital and I only use it for reference material)...

Yeah, 350 is the 5th Superheroic baseline. I think DC caps work better than AP caps though, since not all advantages effect DC and the ones that don't are far less useful when you have to give up damage to have them. Of course, DC might be calculated differently in 3rd than in 5er which is what I started with.

I have a hard time making bricks myself though, they end up as either completely useless or completely unstoppable.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • thequestionmanthequestionman Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    1. Character Concept or Special Effects are an important decision.
    2. Review the Character Creation Guidelines with the GM.
    3. Elemental Controls, Multipowers, Focus, OIHID, etc... Help a Lot
    4. Player Knowledge of Combat Rules.
    5. High STR, CON, PD, ED, REC, END, STUN.
    6. Resistant Defenses; Armor, Force Field, etc...
    7. Specialized Maneuver, add Combat Skill Levels
    8. Find Weakness with Strike, 14-, Costs END (-1/2), Increased END x5 (-2), Only vs. More Powerful Opponents (+100cps), Active Cost (25cp), Real Cost (6cp)... David vs. Goliath, Heroic Punch, Luck Punch, Rising to the Occassion, Destiny, etc...
    9. Movement Power of 20" or more... Move Bys, Move Throughs, and Passing strike Combat Maneuvers... Add a Telephone Pole, Cement Truck, etc... for an Area Effect Attack to hit Speedsters and Martial Artists.
    10. Read the "POWER" Skill.

Cheers

QM
    Hero Adaptations, Conversions, & Resources
    http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63848

Hero System 3rd Party Products
    http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/64013-Hero-System-3rd-Party-Products

"Life is not about having the Right Answers. It is about having the Right Questions." - QM