test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free form build help

draugadandraugadan Posts: 20 Arc User
edited September 2012 in Power Discussion
Was hoping I could get some build critiques. I built this using ChampionBuilder. I am basically new to CO, long time CoH player. I am trying to figure out CO. I appreciate any and all comments.

My idea was a super strong type hero that can call down lightening. I mean it as an homage to my previous game (CoH). I figured I could bring a reminder that isn't an outright copy.

His Costume.

Paragon: Level 40 Champion

Superstats:
Level 6: Super Strength
Level 13: Super Constitution

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber -- Accelerated Metabolism, Rank 2
Level 1: Beatdown -- Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 6: Mighty Leap -- Rank 2
Level 6: Heroic Flight -- Fanfare, Rank 3, Rank 2
Level 8: Retaliation -- Punitive Pummeling, Rank 2
Level 11: Defiance -- Force Of Will, Rank 2
Level 14: Uppercut -- Head Trauma, Rank 2
Level 17: Demolish -- Rank 2
Level 20: Thunderstrike -- Rank 2
Level 23: Enrage -- Endorphin Rush
Level 26: Roomsweeper -- Concussive Blow
Level 29: Defensive Combo -- Surge Of Strength
Level 32: Haymaker -- Nullifying Punch
Level 35: Havoc Stomp -- Challenging Strikes
Level 35: Acrobatics
Level 38: Unleashed Rage

Talents:
Level 1: The Devastator
Level 6: Mighty
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Paramilitary Training
Level 15: Bodybuilder
Level 18: Boundless Reserves
Level 21: Discipline Training

Suggestions on gear?

Champion Builder had me pick 2 super stats, doesn't the game have me pick 3?

If 3 I was thinking STR, CON, END. Or should I do STR, CON, REC?
Post edited by draugadan on

Comments

• braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You DO now get three superstats (one primary, two secondary)... the primary superstat will determine which Specializations you can choose from (and is the largest stat-boost). I would DEFINITELY consider REC very very very highly ---- you don't really have much in the way of energy-management tools in this build and you'll need some way to avoid gasping for air all the time.

Just my own preferences, here:

Clobber -- Accelerated Metabolism, Rank 2: you really don't want to have to use your energy builder very often, so I can see where these advantages may make the most of it when you DO have to use it... but I've never been impressed with Accelerated Metabolism, and as a personal preference I'd pick Onslaught over Rank 2 (maintains Enrage stacks)

Mighty Leap -- Rank 2; not really sure why you'd care to do a little more damage with your lunge; even though you have Flight you'll probably not want to use it IN combat (it's slowed down IN combat), so I'd prefer Nailed To The Ground on the lunge, to get those pesky fliers down to earth.

Retaliation -- Punitive Pummeling, Rank 2: The only problem I have with Punitive Pummeling is that when it works it knocks foes away from you... and you appear to be pretty much melee based for the most part, which means chasing after the foe (not too hard if you use Acrobatics IN combat but still not sure it's worth advantage points)

Defiance -- Force Of Will, Rank 2: ranking defiance just determines how many stacks you START with, so I'm not sure it's that useful to rank up since it's SO easy to get stacks maxed out and keep them that way. Force of Will ... I honestly don't even know what that does, except that I never even consider it. :)

Uppercut -- Head Trauma, Rank 2: Not really sure what Head Trauma does but this is a Heavy Hitter power so whatever Head Trauma does, it better be worth losing Rank 3. :)

Demolish -- Rank 2: If you can find the advantage points, this is a heavy hitter power and I'd recommend either rank 3 or the other advantage that makes the resistance-debuff even more potent

Thunderstrike -- Rank 2: More PBAOE damage is nice, but I rarely rank this and just use it for the stun effect (which prevents a Roomsweeper follow-up from sending the foes flying --- they just go UP then back down in the same place).

Wait, wait, wait... I misread. I was thinking ThunderCLAP but I remember you mentioned having some lightning powers, too. You might consider ThunderCLAP as well --- the stun is handy for preventing Roomsweeper (and other knockback powers) from knocking foes AWAY.

Enrage -- Endorphin Rush: I wasn't impressed with the health return on this, but it could be the superstat/gear choice or something that made it seem weak

Roomsweeper -- Concussive Blow: stuns don't last long in Champions Online (unlike in City of Heroes)... I much prefer to just rank up Roomsweeper to Rank 3 ---- it does nice damage even against single targets and can build Enrage quickly.

Defensive Combo -- Surge Of Strength: I prefer defensive combo to Beatdown, but to each his own. You DO seem to have a large number of attacks in this build, so you can probably sacrifice some of them for more utility (like a heal or shield or active offense or active defense).

Haymaker -- Nullifying Punch: Speaking of too many attacks; this is another heavy hitter like Demolish and Uppercut... the fact it's not ranked and just has Nullifying Punch suggests it's more of a utility power. I honestly don't know what Nullifying Punch DOES, but whatever it does, better be worth the power and advantage point choice. :)
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ChampionBuilder is out of date. Try using PowerHouse

Also, Beatdown and Defensive Combo are redundant. Take Beatdown to start and retcon to Defensive Combo in the PowerHouse after leaving (or skipping) the tutorial. Or skip both and go straight to Roomsweeper.

@ Braqzana: Nullifying Punch makes Hayaker a HoT ender and applies a 50% heal debuff to the target, making it very useful versus some foes.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • draugadandraugadan Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the feed back, I really appreciate it. I am trying to digest all this and make a new build.
    A couple questions while I am working on that.

- Powerhouse - I wasn't using that before because it didn't seem to add up any numbers the way ChampionBuilder did. Am I missing something? (I get that ChampionBuilder is out of date, just wishing some of its functions were in Powerhouse, unless I am missing something).

- I am used to CoH where you have a bunch of attacks. I got it, I used to many in that build. Is there a rule of thumb to shoot for in regard to attacks in a build?

- Also I get that STR, CON, REC is the way to go. What numbers am I looking for in these STATs? Is there a rule of thumb for picking Talents? I don't know if I should mostly focus on STR since it is primary, or try for a balanced number? Or? And how much am I going to get with Talents, and what with gear? If I understand there is a lot one can do with gear, yes? So without gear what should be my target numbers?
    edited September 2012
    Ok, here we go with version two. I appreciate the feed back.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Paragon

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Superhuman
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Mighty
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Relentless
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber (Onslaught)
    Level 1: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Retaliation (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Defiance
    Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Thunderstrike (Ionic Compression)
    Level 20: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Overdrive
    Level 26: Haymaker (Rank 2, Nullifying Punch)
    Level 29: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 35: Lightning Storm (Stolen Thunder, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Heroic Flight
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (1/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you can lose an attack and get a self heal (suggest conviction r3) that will aid your suvivability no end.
    Also if you can get Best Defence (warden or guardian tree) that can add some serious numbers to your damage output.
    Small rapid use self heal list.
    Bountiful Chi Resurgance - heal over time lasting 16 secs cooldown 15 secs adv Resurgent Reiki gives health on Dodge
    Bionic Shielding - heal on hit up to 5 times cooldown 16 secs (can be applied to other team mates and in order to be certain of healing yourself you need to target yourself first)
    Conviction - heals in one lump cooldown 6 secs quick and fast to recharge - your best bet for this build IMO

My own rule for number of attacks is 5 including energy builder maximum. Pets and sigils are classed as damage supplements in my mind. But I'm not the best player so as you will.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    draugadan, regarding target-numbers for stats, I usually aim for ~200 in my primary super stat and ~150 for my secondaries.

As for talents, I usually go w/ the +8 ones for each stat, then the +5/+5 for 2 stats.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The typical rule of thumb I build by for attack selection is 4-5

1 Energy Builder
    1 AoE
    1 Single Target Spike
    1-2 Buff/Debuff

Sometimes these powers can overlap, such as a powerful Cone/Cylinder AoE covering both AoE and Spike... but typically when that happens I consider that to be my Single Target Spike... However, a Spike damage attack that applies a Debuff as well would typically be taken to fill both slots if another skill doesn't fill one of them better for the build
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
    edited September 2012
    Ok, obviously back to the drawing board. lol. I see I still have too many attacks.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    draugadan, regarding target-numbers for stats, I usually aim for ~200 in my primary super stat and ~150 for my secondaries.

As for talents, I usually go w/ the +8 ones for each stat, then the +5/+5 for 2 stats.

Just to make sure I understand, the ~200, ~150 are without gear, yes?
  • haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    draugadan wrote: »

No, that would be with gear.

To boost Super Stats without gear you get:

Primary: 80 super stat bonus + 5 base, + 10-12 from innate talent + talents (typically 15-25) for ~110-120.

Secondaries: 40 super stat bonus + 5 base, + 10-12 from innate talent + talents (typically 15-25) for ~70-80.

With gear, you can get more than 200/150/150, but if you restrict yourself to those numbers you can boost other stats. For some characters, that is unnecessary, for others boosting non-SS stats is a good idea.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    draugadan wrote: »
    Ok, obviously back to the drawing board. lol. I see I still have too many attacks.

That's *with* gear. As haleakala pointed out, you can aim for those numbers, and augment other stats too. Me personally, I take a two-fold approach. First I want to make sure I'm getting all 3 of my super stats to th epoint whre my primary is giving ~30% damage boost, and each secondary is giving ~20% (these numbers are rough and while in the Hybrid role). I'll then try to focus on other aspects of what I'm trying to accomplish with the character; maybe some extra crit chance stuff of a dex/crit build, or some extra dodge & avoidance for a dodge build. Maybe I want more defense out of my gear for a tank, or extra healing, etc.

I can also tell you that a full set (6 pieces) of the 11K Questionite gear will put you above those numbers - something like 230 for your primary and 180 for your secondary super stats. The other bonus is that for every 3 pieces from the same set of that 11K Questionite gear that you equip, you'll get a 25% bonus to w/e that set boosts - like nonphysical damage buff for the cyber set, or a damage resist buff from the Armadillo set. The downside is that none of those sets boost things like crits or healing.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited September 2012
    Hopefully this looks better.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Paragon

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Superhuman
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Mighty
    Level 12: Enduring
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Relentless
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber (Onslaught)
    Level 1: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Retaliation (Rank 2)
    Level 11: Defiance
    Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Thunderstrike (Ionic Compression)
    Level 20: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Overdrive
    Level 26: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 35: Resurgence (Rank 2, Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Heroic Flight
    Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Strength: Overpower (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Slaughter (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Elusive (1/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
  • braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Couple quick notes while the boss is away ( ;) )...

I usually pick the +5/+5 stats instead of the single +8s... with three superstats, that gives you +10 in each for three talents (5 DEX/REC, 5 DEX/CON, 5 CON/REC, for example).... compared to just +8 if you got the three +8 stats for each of them individually.

Once I've gotten the three talents that combine the three superstats, I then pick a talent with a superstat and some Non-superstat that is still useful like Endurance or Constitution.

Or, sometimes my superstat choices will show up in the MULTI-stat talents toward the bottom of the list. So, instead of getting +5 superstat and +5 some NON-super stat, I may get +3 Superstat, +3 Other-Superstat and +2 Other-Superstat and then maybe +2 or +3 to some non-superstat.

Other concern is Overdrive... it's newish so I'm not as familiar with it, but I'd make sure that it doesn't give energy return only on Power Armor maintains/charges...
  • bloodandy21bloodandy21 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The character very defensive with force, more health but he gives out a support and self forces shield and healing, and some Infernal powers, I need your help to mix the build as Infernal/ supportive and defense of force/ healing. Please help me to build this. Thank you kindly! :D
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The character very defensive with force, more health but he gives out a support and self forces shield and healing, and some Infernal powers, I need your help to mix the build as Infernal/ supportive and defense of force/ healing. Please help me to build this. Thank you kindly! :D

??

I'd suggest making a new topic and elaborating, preferably with the structure of your build, specific powers and sucheries.