test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Chatmute Madness

r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
As teh title says.. it is madness you only need a few friends all "report spam" a specific person and then he /she gets a 24hours chat mute EVEN for local chat and /tell...

thats madness... really.. i got trollattacked by chatmuters... wtf?

i was talking about playing furries at zone chat... and then BAM.. youve been chat muted for 24 Hours... come on... unmute me... gosh-dammit... i got troll-attacked..

we should troll-attack a gm then they see how fail the mute system is...

i got chat muted few weeks ago and "maybe" i deserved that...(( had put in to much text quickly / arguing about something ))

but THIS TIME.. i did nothing wrong...

** btw i heard im not teh onyl one.. soem "lee" got trolatacked , "Linx" .. wow... wtf is wrong with you guys? why you chatmute people??

EDIT: how many "report spam" votes someone needs to get muted ? 5 ? >.< also why 24 hours..-.- 30 minutes i coudl dealwith.. but 24hours.. seriously i cant recruit peopel to my SG now, can trade things and also cnat rp, cant nemcon , cant form alert groups...

24hours just beign able to do nothing else than arm and pissingmy ingame friends not answerign them...due to mute.. and ALSO not beign able to use ingame male to tel clannies about it... COME ON !!!

EDIT 2* adding links:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145024

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=140474&highlight=black_cobra

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=154501

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=136654

http://champions-online.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=2314

PETITION:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2284151#post2284151

Chatbanned for typing in a a sentence of a music song:
http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=145394&page=6

the song below:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x48bt_oingo-boingo-little-girls_music

EDIT 3 Favorite qutations:

jajaja so 4 players it takes now in one zone of millennium city there's usually over 300 people, that 4 out of 300, a tiny tiny group reporting one guy haha and the MAJORITY doesnt care haha are you kidding me cryptic? 24 chat ban because a small group of people decided it was spamming (repeating the same message over and over again) this is a crazy little joke
QFT,

This chat-ban nonsense has been going on for far too long. Players should NOT have the power to ban another player from chat--period. Its that simple.

It is not the players job to moderate other players. Its Cryptic's job. They're the ones that are supposed to determine if/when a player needs to be moderated for any reason. Not us. This should have gotten rid of this feature a long time ago.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Also usualy this is exploiting to use "report spam" with your friends just to bully someone you maybe dont like for whatever reason...BUT as you see.. CRYPTIC allows players to ABUSE a GAME MECHANIC wich is exploiting.. so .. exploiting seems to be allowed...

but then i have an idea .. but i need many players for it...

here is the idea:(( its an idea ... im not asking you to do so.. just teh idea.. because i dotnknwo how else we get heared :/

Everytime you login you could ask ALL your friends and SG members and in zone chat to help "report spam " ANY player you find in the online list of ANY channel !!!!

If we succeed MUTING a majority of players in this game we maybe make CRYPTIC hear us... if the majority of players is pissed of the fail mute system we maybe bring them to disable the option

lol how ironic using mute to make cryptic hear us.. -.-

REVOLUTION !!!

We are Legion !

You can be part of a new world , a better world ... XD

seriously i dont want to do that .. i like the game and i dont want players leave.. but im really pissed.. and i got muted for no reason.. its just unfair that a small group of people have so much might...

actually TROLLS control zone chat and decide who has to be muted... soem just report spam you if u dont like their costume.. or because they dont like your style of roleplay. or just because they like to destroy costuem contests...

ALSO that chatmute sytsem is useless since NOONE advertises gold sites in this game.. we have 250G limit for silvers and a refien limit.. so no goldseller would post...spam

AND it is unfair that a small group of people can decide WHO is allowed to speak and who not...every individual should be able to decide for him/herself if he wants to read the chat of any person.. we have already IGNORE feature.. we DONT NEED a 24 HOURS mute..... !!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Dude.

You are one of many. I have yet to see ONE person say this thing is good, except the people at Cryptic who claim the function is 'working as intended'. SO, yeah, I'm with you on the 'chat-mute' one of the devs or GMs as soon as they log in.

My other idea was to FLOOD the ticket system with complains when anyone you know has this happen to them. Just get a huge chain of persons doing this.

We did find out that the same system for chat is used across all the games, so I wonder how popular this is with the STO crowd?
  • purplepompadourpurplepompadour Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What are you guys talking about? Why would anyone on the internet ever do such a thing? This has to be some sort of isolated incident.
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Absolutely not. Even if GMs were on this game, we should not use the very system were fighting so hard against. It's hypocritical actions like that which justify "Cryptic World" in keeping the player-based chat ban.

The best way to combat the system is to incessantly send in ticket after ticket to PWE, boycott spending money toward any PWE game, and not stop discussing the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    'Working As Intented'.
    So there's nothing wrong. That's confirmed by Cryptic employee. All is well. All. Is. Well.
    ...:rolleyes: (here's a smiley that's feeling abit sarcastic.)
    I'm just waiting when Cryptic hands players the dev tools to fix the game.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited August 2012
    lolthere were more players victims of trollattacks....

even on star trek

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=251218

madness

Edit: addedlinks to my first post ! read up
  • lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    'Working As Intented'.
    So there's nothing wrong. That's confirmed by Cryptic employee. All is well. All. Is. Well.

working as intended?......WORKING AS INTENDED?!?!

Are they INTENDING to cause us grief?

Are they INTENDING to cause hysteria?

Are they INTENDING for this chat ban thing to annoy us out of our minds!?

I hope cryptic will recognize that this Chat ban system NEEDS to go

I even made a petition for it to go!
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes. Working as Intended. Pulled from here:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2135091&postcount=2
    drannic wrote: »
    [*]Systems: Global Chat Server: Report for spam feature is being abused. (somebob, Thread Post) [QA - This feature is a part of game engine, and will not be removed since all of our games use this. But since Champions has seen a huge drop in advertisers, maybe we can look into making a game specific change to lighten when the silence is placed on an account. I will bring this issue up with development to see if this is possible, or at least someone to look into it. Also to reassure, CO does have GMs, but with the increase of products and players under Cryptic Studios titles, GMs are not always granted the amount of time to ?show face? in game these days as I did when I was still a GM during Champions launch. :frown: ]

(Yes, I asked the original question. I'm famous or something! :biggrin: )
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »

Yes, working as intended...

None of what you posted are any of its intended uses, they are side affects of its functionality...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited August 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »

Calm the heck down dude. You have read what was Cryptics answer for the chatban feature.(hey, now you can. It's right under your post.)
    Should i go and add an smiley face to my post so the "joke" won't be so obvious?
    :rolleyes:
    edited August 2012
    should have added a smiley to that post,it was a partial joke,but I am serious about taking it off,the caps was a joke i thought would be funny
    edited August 2012
    Caps are never funny. Not even in Zone. You get chatbanned for using caps.
    I just think that Cryptic stopped taking players seriously a long time ago.
    edited August 2012
    Updated my post ... read first entry =P

many typos i know.. but im pissed.. because i wated to rp and do some adventure packs with friends.. now i cant...-.-
    edited August 2012
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Updated my post ... read first entry =P

many typos i know.. but im pissed.. because i wated to rp and do some adventure packs with friends.. now i cant...-.-

I agree with the idea,as someone stated once,the forums are a minority of the playerbase,so we need to take action into the game to take this chatban system out once and for all,there are only 2 ways I can see as to how we can persuade cryptic to take chatban off

1:the revolution as you stated,can drive many people away from the game,and make them hate chatban,and possibly even take it to cryptic,when enough of them do that,cryptic will HAVE to take it out.

2:Boycott them,whilst keeping the issue alive on the forums,the wallet is the most powerful persuasion method!
    edited August 2012
    there are similiar posts from 2011 i dont think option 2 to will work..lol
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    You know its busted when youve been off for two weeks come on and guess what UR CHAT BANNED :/

This happened months ago so when Cryptic is saying it works as intended its BS.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited August 2012
    well i had started recruiting with my SG ... now i need to wait so long... im playing this game since a few months now...created my SG in teh very beginning for me and my wife .. now that some peopel were interested to join it and asked me to recruit people.. well now that i have to be afraid being chatbanned by trolls.. i cant invite peopel over zone even when im chat-unmuted....-.-

asi said it is madness... giving a handful of random people the might to chatban whoever they want...

ive paid money for this game .. not lifetime or monthly but from time to time i buy ZEN because i like the game and want to support it.. and of course because there are sum awesome things to buy... now i assuem i got chatmuted by trolls... nice.. maybe trols who have never spent a cent to this ...

also heard goldmembers were muted because they got haters ... ive also seen a 1000 day veteran got muted by those trolls... (( he had that 1000 veteran tighs and travel power on... )) he said somethgin about that teh TP looks nice and then his friend said " sry he cant anser you ... he got chatmuted for 24 hours " .. at that time i was like OKAY?! because i didnt knwo about those trollattacks.. now it makes sense..tere ARE people whojust like to ABUSE this function OR to overreact about jokes at zonechat....

its like u speak loudly at teh street that youre happythat your kid has grown its first tooth ... and then a group of people comes out of a dark corner and hit your face until u cant speak for the next few hours...
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As teh title says.. it is madness you only need a few friends all "report spam" a specific person and then he /she gets a 24hours chat mute EVEN for local chat and /tell...

thats madness... really.. i got trollattacked by chatmuters... wtf?

i was talking about playing furries at zone chat... and then BAM.. youve been chat muted for 24 Hours... come on... unmute me... gosh-dammit... i got troll-attacked..

we should troll-attack a gm then they see how fail the mute system is...

i got chat muted few weeks ago and "maybe" i deserved that...(( had put in to much text quickly / arguing about something ))

but THIS TIME.. i did nothing wrong...

here is the idea:(( its an idea ... im not asking you to do so.. just teh idea.. because i dotnknwo how else we get heared :/

Everytime you login you could ask ALL your friends and SG members and in zone chat to help "report spam " ANY player you find in the online list of ANY channel !!!!

If we succeed MUTING a majority of players in this game we maybe make CRYPTIC hear us... if the majority of players is pissed of the fail mute system we maybe bring them to disable the option

lol how ironic using mute to make cryptic hear us.. -.-

REVOLUTION !!!

We are Legion !

First off, let me state that I don't agree with the chat-ban system in place in CO. I would be happy with just the ignore function personally.

However,r9xchaos, the fact is that you don't know why you were reported by people. You said it was because you were "talking about playing furries at zone chat". You simply don't know this. It could have been for any numerous reasons up to that point. Also,"talking about playing furries at zone chat" doesn't really describe what you were saying about playing furries. For all we know, you might have been incredibly insulting to players who like playing furries, who knows? Nobody does, because we don't get a list of who reported us, or when or why.

As for the second part of your post, absolutely not! Your idea to "ask ALL your friends and SG members and in zone chat to help report spam ANY player you find in the online list of ANY channel !!!!"........worst idea ever. When you start using the tactics that you, yourself, find deplorable, then you've already lost the war.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited August 2012
    First off, let me state that I don't agree with the chat-ban system in place in CO. I would be happy with just the ignore function personally.

However,r9xchaos, the fact is that you don't know why you were reported by people. You said it was because you were "talking about playing furries at zone chat". You simply don't know this. It could have been for any numerous reasons up to that point. Also,"talking about playing furries at zone chat" doesn't really describe what you were saying about playing furries. For all we know, you might have been incredibly insulting to players who like playing furries, who knows? Nobody does, because we don't get a list of who reported us, or when or why.

As for the second part of your post, absolutely not! Your idea to "ask ALL your friends and SG members and in zone chat to help report spam ANY player you find in the online list of ANY channel !!!!"........worst idea ever. When you start using the tactics that you, yourself, find deplorable, then you've already lost the war.

So if fighting banning with banning won't persuade Cryptic to change this,maybe the Petition in my sig,or boycotting them might?
    edited August 2012
    Well i said its an idea and maybe the only way to fight the system..

BUT with most of you guys it is like it is in reallife.. noone has the balls to speak thinks out loud.. only a very small amount of people / some single individuals have enough balls to do so.. but... those are labeled as conspiracy theorists or idiots...mostly by peopel who are to afraid to fight ...

The thing is noone can start an action like this all alone..all alone, someone would loose the fight and being flagged as black-sheep...and why? because all the white sheeps following their shepard.. and that shepard is called "fear" ... most of you cower in fear of being punished by cryptic if u use the system against itself... or you fear to loose reputation or whatever...

if you want to change something you have to risk something... but i dont see that coming.. because peopel are also not doign **** unless they get chatmuted too... even then they wil only post here .. and thats it.. sad story... humanity has forgoten what their potential was...

humans accompished tasks in the past by fighting for their ideals... but nowadays they just eat **** up ....

thats why we grow so slowly compared to our past ... sumeria 5000 bc? and earlier...
    edited August 2012
    I've stopped giving Cryptic/PWE money a long time ago. What have you done? What more i can do? Start spam muting people i have nothing against of? Spam reporting every GM i see? Stop playing the game? What?
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Organize an ingame protest or something >_> Have people show up wearing the ninja mask that covers the mouth, then take a screenshot of yourselves and report to GM. Can call it Occupy Millennium City =p
    edited August 2012
    GM Report does nothing.
    edited August 2012
    selphea wrote: »
    Organize an ingame protest or something >_> Have people show up wearing the ninja mask that covers the mouth, then take a screenshot of yourselves and report to GM. Can call it Occupy Millennium City =p

do we have a guy fawkes mask? XD

seriuosly i like that Occupy Millenium City idea.. but actuallyim still muted.. i think
    edited August 2012
    Well i said its an idea and maybe the only way to fight the system..

BUT with most of you guys it is like it is in reallife.. noone has the balls to speak thinks out loud.. only a very small amount of people / some single individuals have enough balls to do so.. but... those are labeled as conspiracy theorists or idiots...mostly by peopel who are to afraid to fight ...

The thing is noone can start an action like this all alone..all alone, someone would loose the fight and being flagged as black-sheep...and why? because all the white sheeps following their shepard.. and that shepard is called "fear" ... most of you cower in fear of being punished by cryptic if u use the system against itself... or you fear to loose reputation or whatever...

if you want to change something you have to risk something... but i dont see that coming.. because peopel are also not doign **** unless they get chatmuted too... even then they wil only post here .. and thats it.. sad story... humanity has forgoten what their potential was...

humans accompished tasks in the past by fighting for their ideals... but nowadays they just eat **** up ....

thats why we grow so slowly compared to our past ... sumeria 5000 bc? and earlier...

Don't generalise like that man, a guy can take that as an insult. You know nothing of who I am IRL. For all you know, many of us are fighting, or have fought for many things far more important than this. This is not Sparta and you are not one of the 300:wink:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • louisfrienddrn#8375 louisfrienddrn Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    removed by poster
    "I have never questioned the orders or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation. Until now." - James T. Kirk
    edited August 2012
    Missed the point compleatly you have.

It is NOT working as intented when *sshats can mute people that are not even talking in Zone. Got it?
    How would you like to be muted just what you just said there? I bet you wouldn't. And no, this is not a threat.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    And, Barnhouse, some of us like to use the Chat channel to, well, chat, and it's hard to follow the stream of the conversation when the window fills up with "WTS [This Piece of Crap That Drops From Every Third Boss] PST" - over, and over, and over, and...

It's called the "Auction House" (although that's a bit of a misnomer, it's really more of a clearinghouse). Look into it. Or, better yet, see if there's a Trade channel, and if not, start one and mention it in Chat. Either way, stop complaining that people are chatting in Chat. It's like complaining that people are purchasing powers in the Powerhouse, you know?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • disladyownzdisladyownz Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i understand the need for the chat ban system and understand that as with anything in life, the wrong idiots can abuse it. I am one of the people who can't stand the hour long "Grond Joke Marathons " that crowd zone chat for hours, or the i wanna sell the same item that's all over AH for 20G cheaper. But chat is chat and there is nothing we can do about that other than use common sense when dealing with it. Being that i play the "Game" and am not here to Rp or be a social commodity there is only a few purposes for zone chat to me. Since i'm a gamer i usually make the necessary friends needed thus not having to use zone chat very often unless people are not online.

No matter where u go in life or online u will always find a weed in the middle of a rose garden. Sadly some people find being the villain fun or there wouldn't be any superheros to begin with. From my experience very few people get repeat banned day after day who are considered model citizens in the community. So sometimes u need to stop and look at self before casting the stones.
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    barnhouse wrote: »
    I usually don't post on here but I've been seeing this and a few other topics getting beat to death on here.

First off i would like to say yes, the chat ban system obviously is working as intended or it wouldn't bean people so easily, however people will probably use is improperly.

Now the other side to that coin is that I have seen several posts of people getting banned for Costume Contest spamming and spamming jokes (grond, clones, whatever...). I see a lot of this in chat as of late.

Now that being said, I use chat mainly for buying and selling in game items and it is very hard to do so when there is a constant rolling of babble. There are a lot of people like myself who are actually playing the "GAME" and not using this for their own personal social networking hub and comedy stage. There are plenty of social networking sites for that kind of garbage.

COSTUME CONTESTS: This is something I see a lot of, in game and posts about getting banned because of one. Keep in mind CC's were something that was a FAN MADE EVENT and is not or ever was part of the actual game design. Yes I know even some GM's have hosted them but you are complaining about getting banned for something that isn't game related. Pretty much a lose/lose situation there.

As far as your little revolution talk, good luck with that, that kind of talk could get you banned indefinitely. As Cryptic/PWE has stated more than once, this ignore system IS working as intended and is an integrated part of the chat system for all the games.

They are not changing it, they are not changing the forums back, and yes some of you will have new names in the forum. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear but that is the way it is. Because Champions Online is first and foremost a "GAME" and people like myself are paying to play this "GAME" and not use the chat or the forums as their "SOCIAL NETWORK"

You are not changing anything, the chat will always be that way. There has been change, roll with it or get off the wagon.

Isnt the point of a massive multiplayer game to communicate with other players? To have a community of like minded people where they can do things together? If you dont like seeing people converse with each other in such a game (and this is ALL MMOs) then maybe you would be better off playing single player games. People talk in MMOs, get over yourself.

And back on topic, to the OP, abusing the very system you are trying to stop the abuse of is the wrong way to handle things. Doing that makes one no better than the people who have caused the problem in the first place.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    the fact is that you don't know why you were reported by people.
    The same could be said for most anyone who has been chatbanned. Just because they make a thread about it doesn't mean they're completely innocent. We aren't privy to those persons' PMs, private conversations or interactions with other players in game.

I'm not saying that the use of this system in this way is right by any means, but reading these threads is like interviewing prisoners - everyone's innocent.
    edited August 2012
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The same could be said for most anyone who has been chatbanned. Just because they make a thread about it doesn't mean they're completely innocent. We aren't privy to those persons' PMs, private conversations or interactions with other players in game.

I'm not saying that the use of this system in this way is right by any means, but reading these threads is like interviewing prisoners - everyone's innocent.

Um....yeah, that's what I was basically saying. Only in a more subtle way ;-P
    zrdRBy8.png
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2012

Nah, both times I got chat banned, I knew I probably deserved it. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I happily admit my guilt. I RP. It can be annoying at times, I know. But it isn't spamming, and I resent being silenced for it by an automated system for a whole DAY, especially since I'm not being an annoying bastard on my RP character, I'm usually answering questions in zone.

And as for Flare.... look at all the times he's been silenced. Once while judging a Costume Contest. Once while just PMing friends. I'm pretty sure he's innocent.

Something needs to change. Even if it's just making the people who hit Report Spam accountable for their actions and punishing them when there was no actual spam, that would be enough for me.
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2012

That is the real problem IMO. The automated system doesnt distinguish the innocent from the guilty. Its not the systems job to. There really should be real people to sit down and monitor the system and evaluate whether the chat ban is justified or not. When automated systems are making the choices, problems happen. Look at Terminator :tongue:

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
    edited August 2012
    vizzone wrote: »
    I happily admit my guilt. I RP. It can be annoying at times, I know. But it isn't spamming, and I resent being silenced for it by an automated system for a whole DAY, especially since I'm not being an annoying bastard on my RP character, I'm usually answering questions in zone.

I'd love it if at least, when someone PMed you, it sent a message back saying "This person is chat banned" or whatever. The worst part about it is that you look like you're ignoring people.

Best I could do is find someone who was trying to talk to me, and do a choke emote.

Needless to say, that didn't drive the point across. :tongue:
    biffsig.jpg
  • vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd love it if at least, when someone PMed you, it sent a message back saying "This person is chat banned" or whatever. The worst part about it is that you look like you're ignoring people.

Yes! If nothing else, please this! I'm sure that guy who complimented my character 'Nurseferatu' on her name thinks I'm a horrible person. He PMed me twice in the alert. I bowed to try to say thank you, but I don't think he saw it. Please. At least tell people PMing silenced people that they can't talk.
    edited August 2012
    You know, this has served at least one useful purpose. I just got Happifun Security System X-4 to lvl 25, and was trying to decide what sort of Nemesis it should have.

Its Nemesis will be Autochatban, a robot (originally designed to enforce noise levels at a library) that has gone rogue, and seeks to silence everyone everywhere by killing them all...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited August 2012
    I was thinking making nemesis named CR-P7-1C-Working As Intented, public service droid that isn't working as intented...
  • louisfrienddrn#8375 louisfrienddrn Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    removed by poster
    "I have never questioned the orders or the intelligence of any representative of the Federation. Until now." - James T. Kirk
    edited August 2012
    barnhouse wrote: »
    I understand what and where the auction house is, however when you post things in there to make money people will always undercut you on price and if you remove your item you LOSE your deposit.

SO, I use the chat system to try and sell my stuff or buy stuff for more reasonable prices rather than pay outrageous amounts for a costume piece.

The chat system can and is being abused, and yes I understand that you use it to CHAT with players in the community and people do. HOWEVER, there are a lot of people who use it to just have personal conversations or use it like it's OPEN MIC NIGHT when you can group to chat or use LOCAL and be close by each other just like the RP players do.

I'm sorry for the people that get banned for no reason, that does suck. But like a few that have posted before me have said. How do we know what they were truly banned for?

I was on last night trying to sell my become devices that I don't use anymore and could not get any response because there were people talking about "how their day was" and "what they did at work" rolling and rolling through the chat window.

I am not saying people shouldn't use zone chat to communicate with other players but there is not any excuse for people using it for personal chatter when there is TEAM and LOCAL chat.

I don't use the IGNORE feature because I would not want to do that to anyone, there are people who obviously use it recklessly. My point is if you stick your neck out there and overly make your presence known in chat instead of private messaging people or grouping in Team chat or even using local you are giving those people reason to ban you.

I am not trying to be a troll or even start a fight over this, I'm actually sorry I even posted anything because I normally don't.

It just seems every time I go to the forums to find out about game info like the new 'Dark Avenger" stuff that I am most interested in or the vehicles I see this topic getting beat to death. Cryptic has stated that it isn't changing this feature and that it is working as intended and it obviously is. The other side of that coin is that it like a lot of stuff in MMO's gets exploited.

I know I'm not in the FORUM clique around here, I don't have a fancy title under my name, I don't have a cool avatar and I don't have a hip signature but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

Sorry if I upset anyone. I will go back to being nobody now.....

You should realize that you're making up arbitrary rules for the chat channel. Lots of people like to just "chat" in the channel. Discussing your day is perfectly acceptable.

You're saying that people shouldn't talk about their day, but selling should be allowed. Why? Just because it's what you want to do on the channel? There's no rule saying that you should keep chat to in-game topics like selling or looking for group. Developers and GMs (once upon a time) used zone chat for things like this. Are you saying that they're wrong in what they're doing?

If I and a bunch of like-minded people decided "Hey, I don't ever buy anything from people advertizing their loot in Zone Chat, so I should just ignore people who are trying to sell, then I can just chat uninterrupted as long as I want." You know what would happen? A bunch of people who use Zone to sell their things will start getting chat banned.

If that were to happen to, say, someone like you, would your reaction be "Well, guess the system is working!" and move on? Or maybe post about it in the forums about how ridiculous the system is?

People have the right to refuse to listen to anyone they want in the game. That means they have the right to ignore anyone they don't want to listen to, for whatever reason they want. This includes people who use Zone Chat to sell items.

You'd seriously be cool with this happening to you for selling things?
    biffsig.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Jon, I'd love to see that nemesis--if you get the chance.

Barnhouse, don't be sorry you post. Ever. Everyone's opinion is vaild as long as you have experience to back up your reasoning. Now, I know what I've gotten banned for. I've gotten banned for doing nothing wrong. I announce contests, I talk in local chat with friends. I occasionally joke around but said jokes have never had a negative connotation. I don't curse online, I'm nice to everyone. I go out of my way to help people.

Have I ever deserved a chat ban? No.

I have 20 some-odd channels, 6 of which I'm admin, more I'm operator for. My chatbox is a freaking slot machine. I'll privately PM someone spamming asking them to kindly stop but if, after repeated pleas, that doesn't happen? They go on the ignore list. In order to do my job in the game, I need to be able to answer people's questions and read what they type and no bozo with an affinity for the caps lock or Ctrl+C combo should dictate which people I help and which I don't.

Smackwell is dead on in his assessment. Zone is an anything goes channel. Sadly the one rule that sort of is in place, "be nice", is broken quite a bit. If we had GMs I doubt it'd be as bad as it is but that's a tangent. I admin a channel call "Auctions" that, albeit, needs to be used more. Just for information's sake, you might want to look into it.

voos2b.jpg
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As teh title says.. it is madness *snip*

*turns to look at the OP with eyes barely containg their fury*

Madness...? This... Is... SPARTA!!!

*kicks the OP down a chat-silencing hole*

PS: The second post in that list of favorite quotes seems vaguely familiar... That Archived Post person must be a very smart individual :cool:

PS-2: While I don't condone what they OP is asking (the chat-ban everyone idea) I honestly don't believe that ANYTHING other than doing just that will truly affect any change.

Should be stop giving Cryptic our money till they address this issue? Stop playing the game? Many of us are already doing that. See how much they care.

As horrible as what the OP is asking (which is something that has been brought up before), it is the ONLY course of action that (I believe) would truly force Cryptic to change anything about the issue. I have seen no evidence from Cryptic so far that they care if any of us stop giving them our money or stop playing the game. But people actively disruping their game left and right by using the very system they refuse to change? Yeah, that may get their attention.

PS of PS-2: I am still not condoning what the OP is asking, and I also believe that such methods could potentially bring harm to the game as well. If literally no one in the game can be sure that they can login and have an enjoyable evening (or whatever time you choose to play) of play, the game might as well end up being turned into a ghost town (I mean, more than it already might be). And the whole game might take a massive hit that may end up closing it down or bringing further setbacks than it already has.

But just sayin'...

(I just don't think that simply not giving them our money or even playing the game has done ANYTHING to affect change on this issue)
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    'Working As Intented'.
    ...:rolleyes: (here's a smiley that's feeling abit sarcastic.)

HAhahahaha, this just made me laugh. And the sad part is, if they had done that about a year or two ago we would probably have a couple new zones by now... :rolleyes:
    Well, I did save the file - now if I could just find a way to append a file in the neo-forum... :mad:

• zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2012

There you go. That's what happened. Either you were talking about furries in a positive light and got spam reported by intolerant idiots, or you were talking about furries in a bad light and got spam reported by furries.

Talking about furries in zone chat is more volatile than talking about Wolverine. I dare you to go into zone chat and post a link to this scan.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17771862/wolverineisajerk.jpg

Anybody who does that is going to get instantly chat banned for 24 hours by Wolverine lovers even though it's a scan from an actual Marvel comic in which Marvel's own writers were insulting him.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ
    edited August 2012
    nvm....just hanging....
    edited August 2012
    There you go. That's what happened. Either you were talking about furries in a positive light and got spam reported by intolerant idiots, or you were talking about furries in a bad light and got spam reported by furries.

Talking about furries in zone chat is more volatile than talking about Wolverine. I dare you to go into zone chat and post a link to this scan.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17771862/wolverineisajerk.jpg

Anybody who does that is going to get instantly chat banned for 24 hours by Wolverine lovers even though it's a scan from an actual Marvel comic in which Marvel's own writers were insulting him.

Dont click this if youre a Furry !!!
    edited August 2012
    Jon, I'd love to see that nemesis--if you get the chance.
    Okay, I finally broke down and got a Flickr account (actually, reactivated one I forgot I had). I hope this pic's viewable...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishwolf/7821070548/in/photostream

Autochatban was originally designed to enforce silence in a library. However, it has gone berserk, and now seeks to silence everyone everywhere, using its army of robotic minions.

edited August 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Okay, I finally broke down and got a Flickr account (actually, reactivated one I forgot I had). I hope this pic's viewable...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishwolf/7821070548/in/photostream

Autochatban was originally designed to enforce silence in a library. However, it has gone berserk, and now seeks to silence everyone everywhere, using its army of robotic minions.
    awesome :D

voos2b.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2012

I clicked it :O

Ur on my list -.-
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zenzenarimasenzenzenarimasen Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    I clicked it :O

Ur on my list -.-

Like this?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17771862/thelist.jpg

Before anybody asks what that's from, it's from a superhero themed webcomic called GrrlPowerComic.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → Ⓑ Ⓐ