test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone wanna help me rebuild Offender?

biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Power Discussion
Okay so, I've got a wacky build on Offender that isn't great.

A little background, he's a super strength genius. He's made a suit of power armor (no PA powers though) and uses Force, plus Haymaker (to show super strength (also also I don't like Burning Chi Fist even though it's better)).

Super Stats are Str/Int/Rec. I'm thinking that Int would be a good primary Super Stat because of the Active Offense reduction.

I only use Haymaker as a quick DPS move when I have low energy. It's really there just for concept - same as STR.

Main attack is Force Cascade. I use bionic shielding, heal drones, and field surge to survive. Would like to have two active offenses.

Other than all that, I'm open to other crap. I'm thinking I also want crit (since that seems to be the only way to do anything nowadays) and not sure how to do that with this build.

Anyway, if anyone's bored, I'd love to hear what I could do to make this work. Thanks!
biffsig.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Have you already signed a contract to never ever come to a Dockside Nemesis Alert
    with that one ? That is the needed first step to get any help :tongue:

Ok .. first thing you must decide is really : Enrage or Concentration, since FC is of course
    pushed better by Conc, so if you use that primary you would better go with EGO instead STR.

For crit just take Acute Belt as secondary offense, and Gloves of Precision with Lucky gem
    as primary, with EGO / Warden / Vindicator that will bring you to 38 / 100 crit. You can
    get also 6% more crit that is not shown in the char screen either for single or AoE attacks.

Else i can't help you much since i have always avoided knockback like a plage :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Here's a couple of possibilities. The first is more Might-oriented, the second more Force-oriented. Both have more defensive and more offensive options as noted. Note that I have not tested either of these builds and they are strictly theory-craft.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Offender

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Impulse/The Mountain
    Level 6: Body and Mind
    Level 9: Bodybuilder
    Level 12: Investigator
    Level 15: Field Ops Training
    Level 18: Physical Conditioning
    Level 21: Paramilitary Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap
    Level 8: Invulnerability/Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 14: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 17: Enrage
    Level 20: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Molecular Self-Assembly/Unbreakable
    Level 29: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2)
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Balance (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)

Talent and gear for more REC, CON, and perhaps some EGO if you can spare it. Ego Surge will pretty much put you into ranged damage buff DR whenever you click it. Gear for Crit/Sev, DEF, and Cooldown/Cost Red.
    edited August 2012
    Here's the Force-heavy build.

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Intelligence (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength/Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Impulse
    Level 18: Paramilitary Training
    Level 21: Professional Athlete

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Protection Field (Rank 2)
    Level 6: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 8: Invulnerability/Unstoppable/Kinetic Manipulation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ego Surge/Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Molecular Self-Assembly/Unbreakable
    Level 32: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 35: Electric Sheath (Matter ? Energy Union)
    Level 38: Force Detonation (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

For some reason PowerHouse wouldn't export the spec tree, but basically its Intelligence: Preparation 2/2, Enlightened 1/3, Tactician 2/2, Detect Vulnerability 3/3, Tinkering 2/2
    The remainder copy the above build in Guardian and Vindicator. Intelligence Mastery is a better choice here, as Strength's damage boost is not high enough to make Vindicator Mastery worthwhile.

Gear and Talent for more EGO or STR depending on your SSS choice, and REC. Same gear choices as above.

Kinetic Manipulation will drop whenever you charge a Cascade, so not my top choice, but an option.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It might not be a bad idea to wait a week or so as there are some might tweaks on PTS now. You may not feel the need to build for crits if they go live as written.

That said Helbjorn's builds will most certainly get the job done well.
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Here's the Force-heavy build.

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Strength/Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Impulse
    Level 18: Paramilitary Training
    Level 21: Professional Athlete

Powers:
    Level 1: Protection Field (Rank 2)
    Level 8: Invulnerability/Unstoppable/Kinetic Manipulation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ego Surge/Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Molecular Self-Assembly/Unbreakable
    Level 32: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 35: Electric Sheath (Matter ? Energy Union)
    Level 38: Force Detonation (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

For some reason PowerHouse wouldn't export the spec tree, but basically its Intelligence: Preparation 2/2, Enlightened 1/3, Tactician 2/2, Detect Vulnerability 3/3, Tinkering 2/2
    The remainder copy the above build in Guardian and Vindicator. Intelligence Mastery is a better choice here, as Strength's damage boost is not high enough to make Vindicator Mastery worthwhile.

Gear and Talent for more EGO or STR depending on your SSS choice, and REC. Same gear choices as above.

Kinetic Manipulation will drop whenever you charge a Cascade, so not my top choice, but an option.

Ive built something similar using Int Primary with Str and End Secondary (and some gearing for Rec) using Quarry. Quarry will boost your Ego well into the soft cap range while boosting all of your physical damage, boosting your Int even further, and giving dodge/avoidance.

For that matter you could even switch Str out for Dex and gear for additional crit chance if you really want that extra damage and dont mind losing some melee knock range.

Finally, if you can get it, I highly recommend a piece of End on Kill secondary gear. It can really help you recover from a full charge of Force Cascade. Hitting and killing 2-3 mobs with a charge up and getting as much as 35-40 energy back from each of them is very nice and potentially well worth the loss of a few stat points, particularly on a Quarry build where you are getting additional stats from your passive (I get 90 Int and Ego at level 40 from Quarry on my munitions toon who doesnt Primary SS Int. You would get more with Int primary SS).

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This build is basically a minor tweak of Kenpojutsu's for Sho Nuff and I use it for Ghettoblaster as it fits his concept perfectly. He is very tough and has awesome DPS. He is incredibly fun to play, as he has huge knockbacks. Don't let it bother you that others in the group hate you, you are Offender after all :tongue: I took CC for tanking and debuffing bosses and Kenpo took CS for roomsweeper. Protector mastery means you can spam your active defences and imbue allows you to do massive spike damage or huge heals as required.

Name: Ghettoblaster

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Devastator
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Healthy Mind
    Level 12: Negotiator
    Level 15: Body and Mind
    Level 18: Physical Conditioning
    Level 21: Enduring

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)
    Level 1: Unleashed Rage
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 17: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 20: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Imbue
    Level 32: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Conviction (Rank 2)
    Level 38: Molecular Self-Assembly

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Displacement Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Balance (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Defensive Expertise (3/3)
    Protector: Resolute (2/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey guys, thanks!

First of to Beldin, Most of the characters I play have knocks. However, I do try to build knock resist with weak knocks before going full-on charge. Sometimes Nemeses do go flying though! :tongue:

I'll give your guys' builds a try. I'm definitely leaning more toward Force than Might, so I do want to take Concentration. I kinda dislike Enrage since it takes so long to build up, whereas concentration, it builds for free pretty much. But, concentration, does that scale with Ego? How much am I nerfing myself by not statting much ego?

I'd like to have a much higher crit chance, like 70+. Is that possible with gear, or do you basically have to go dex for that?

Thanks again dudes!
    biffsig.jpg
  • theprettypixietheprettypixie Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'd like to have a much higher crit chance, like 70+. Is that possible with gear, or do you basically have to go dex for that?

Thanks again dudes!

Gear will get you around 24%, iirc.

[edit] Just remembered that you'll probably won't be able to read my post because you put me on ignore for being in the same SG as someone that tossed you a random invite. I'm sure someone else will give you the answer you're after, though.

Pretty.Pixie
    edited August 2012
    Concentration scales from EGO or INT, whichever is higher.

Highest Crit% possible from gear alone is about 25%. You will need to add DEX or take EGO as a PSS to go higher. 70% will be quite difficult using the stated parameters for this build in your OP.

You can build a Force/Might DPS monster with more CON and Imbue as alluded to by Cervando. This would eliminate the need for any DEX, and PSS INT makes the cooldown on Imbue less than 15 seconds. You would need to SSS CON to make it worthwhile, however, as I don't believe you could stack enough through gear and talents to pull it off.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I wont say that you CANT get to 70% crit. Im sure it can be done. But...

The only way Ive managed it (as high as 81%) is on a TK blades build where stacks of Ego Leech can really buff your Crit chance.

Most of my crit based characters aim for 44-50% crit chance. I imagine I could push higher than that, but would be giving up a lot to do so.

Another way to fuel Force Cascade is through a combination of Dark Transfusion and Protection Field.

DT causes you to lose health over time, but grants amazing energy management. The nice thing about PF is that the health loss from DT comes off of your shield if you have it up before triggering DT.

Combine that with other energy management such as Concentration and your Energy Unlock of choice for great results.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited August 2012
    Just remembered that you'll probably won't be able to read my post because you put me on ignore for being in the same SG as someone that tossed you a random invite. I'm sure someone else will give you the answer you're after, though.

Forums and game aren't connected anymore. I don't ignore people on the forums. And to be clear, it wasn't "a random invite." It was many, while I was in the powerhouse, trying to build a character. Having the invite pop up repeatedly while I'm trying to read something is damn annoying. After that business I didn't want anything to do with anyone in that SG. I don't have any personal problem with you though, just that guy that didn't get the hint that I didn't want to be in your supergroup after the first 8 declines.

But I digest. (har har)

I'm thinking I may just ditch the whole Might thing entirely. I played on one of my other characters yesterday who tosses out Force Cascades like it's an energy builder, hitting stuff for 12000, just generally blowing everything up without stopping, so I might go a similar route with Offender.

I didn't think it would be so hard to get that high a crit chance, so I guess I'll be shooting for around 50.

Thanks again everyone, all this stuff is very helpful!
    biffsig.jpg
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I didn't think it would be so hard to get that high a crit chance, so I guess I'll be shooting for around 50.

Since i just made that picture for another thread, i can also post it here :
    http://beldin.be.funpic.de/CO/EGO-Crit.jpg

That is the crit with just Heroic Gloves of Precision with Gamblers Lucky R5 and the Acute Belt :wink:
    There is also a spec in Vindicator where you can get 6% either on AoE or single target attacks
    that is not shown in the character sheet.

With my DEX Builds i normally have 46.x / 112 crit with a crit secondary, don't know how much
    that will add exactly.

I made some calculation with the DEX Build with Form of the Tempest, and the EGO Build with Concentration
    and the statistical damage is higher with EGO.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Lightwave is a similar theme. Based loosely on Captain Atom or Astro City's Samaritan, he's meant to be super strong, super tough and dish out serious damage either with his fists or his energy blasts.

I've had a problem finding the right balance for him since being a hybrid of melee and range means giving up some optimization on one or the other. I'd been using STR as a PSS because it seemed better for a hybrid on the surface, but I had serious energy management issues and had to rely way too much on long stretches of energy builders to fire off FC. I recently switched to INT and my energy issues are gone. I'm firing off 12k FC crits left and right now.

I've stuck with Enrage over Concentration, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense except for the inclusion of Unleashed Rage (closest thing the game has to Nova from Lightwave's original days as a blaster in CoH). Roomsweeper is for the classic heroic punch as well as building Enrage fast. I really feel like this is the best of all worlds.

Name: Lightwave

Super Stats:
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Mountain
    Level 6: Paramilitary Training
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Body and Mind
    Level 15: Healthy Mind
    Level 18: Covert Ops Training
    Level 21: Discipline Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Blast (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 8: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Force Eruption (Gravitational Polarity)
    Level 14: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Conviction
    Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Aggressor (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Resurgence
    Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Intelligence: Preparation (2/2)
    Intelligence: Enlightened (1/3)
    Intelligence: Tactician (2/2)
    Intelligence: Detect Vulnerability (3/3)
    Intelligence: Expertise (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Vindicator Mastery (1/1)
    Forums and game aren't connected anymore. I don't ignore people on the forums. And to be clear, it wasn't "a random invite." It was many, while I was in the powerhouse, trying to build a character. Having the invite pop up repeatedly while I'm trying to read something is damn annoying. After that business I didn't want anything to do with anyone in that SG. I don't have any personal problem with you though, just that guy that didn't get the hint that I didn't want to be in your supergroup after the first 8 declines!

Well, that certainly explains your reaction at the time, and if that happened, I wouldn't disagree with said reaction. I do know the person in question quite well, and can vouch for him. Sure, he throws out random invites, but he wouldn't purposefully spam you with it. I can only speculate that there was a bug or other mistake involved.

I was rather taken aback at the time, because I had just replied to your pm with an apology, thinking you took exception to random invites. Finding that you'd put me on ignore baffled me.

Once again, the SG doesn't set out to harass players. If you felt this happened to you I sincerely apologise, but I can assure you that that was not the intention, nor standard practice.

Pretty.Pixie
    edited August 2012
    I'll send you a PM about it.
    biffsig.jpg